Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2023, 00:40   #1
BHPian

Two temple visits in Bangalore | Khatu Shyam Temple & Maa Ashapuri Dham

Searched for "Things to Do" & "Places to visit in Bangalore" kinda section in team-bhp, ala Tripadvisor, but couldn't find an appropriate result.
So, here's a new thread under Travelogues.

Following is a writeup of two temple visits which are around 5kms apart.
I guess, these temples are less known to the general public.
One may club them together and other places of attraction to form a short day trip in Bangalore.

In the years nearing the end of previous century, frequently used to visit Shyam Mandir near Kachiguda Railway station in Hyderabad.
Even today, I vividly remember the aroma, and the taste of prasad having generous dose of ghee, and the temple had an upmarket feel back in those times.
Was naïve then, and there was no overflow of info like in the current gen, and until recently, was of the impression that the presiding deity in that Shyam Mandir was Lord Krsna.
I had a friend in school whose name was Shyam, and he confirmed to me that he was named after Krishna Bhagwaan.
The idol in the temple appeared no where close to the usual forms of Lord Vishnu I knew, and I always had a gut feel that something is wrong.

Years passed by, and I shifted to Bangalore over a decade ago, and just recently, and unknowingly, stepped into a deserted Temple near the Bannerghatta Zoo park.
Soon figured out that it's another Shyam Mandir, and the same feelings of confusion that were laid to rest long ago, got stirred again.
Using my fingertips on my smart phone, discovered that Lord Krishna & Shyam Baba in this temple are different.
Now that the long outstanding puzzle got resolved, I could finally rest in peace

Was pleasantly surprised that there was no prohibition on using mobile phone in the temple sanctum, and took advantage of the same to make a video collage.

It was nostalgic to find the now rarely seen Sparrows freely scurrying hither and thither inside the temple dome.
People interested in visiting this temple may note that there is ample parking space, and restrooms.
There is a Gaushala adjoining the temple, and it feels good to feed Cows residing here.

Few kilometers away, there is Shree Ashapura Mataji Temple.
Two temple visits in Bangalore | Khatu Shyam Temple & Maa Ashapuri Dham-ashapura.jpg

Definitely worth a visit just for the sake of Prasad.
Two temple visits in Bangalore | Khatu Shyam Temple & Maa Ashapuri Dham-bhojanshalatimings.jpg

Have frequented Rajdhani chain of restaurants to satiate the crave for Rajasthani cuisine, and have many a times paid premium price for the same,
and all the while felt deep down that it lacked some ingredient/s to be considered as a truly authentic Rajasthani dish.
Don't have much idea on how a Rajasthani dish is cooked, but the feeling of something amiss persisted.

After having the lip smacking bhojan at Ashapura Jain Temple, realized that somethings can't be bought by money, but it's free!
Two temple visits in Bangalore | Khatu Shyam Temple & Maa Ashapuri Dham-thali.jpg

Visit to a temple can't be just about food, right?

As in the spiritual parlance, here's the additional dimension:
Put thoughts into words was a sermon that I heard umpteen times at my workplace, for it enables to gain clarity, insight and perspective around one's thoughts.
I found the same thing put into practice here, where-in one has to write down their wishes onto a paper, and drop it in a box for Ashapura Maa to fulfil it later on.
This might be a usual custom in shrines in northern part of India, but it's a novelty in southern part, or atleast to me and to the people in my know.
Was amazed to watch the sincerity of a senior citizen, who spent several mins to write her wishes secretly on a piece of paper.
Two temple visits in Bangalore | Khatu Shyam Temple & Maa Ashapuri Dham-srcitizenwish.jpg
However, the priest here doesn't have belief in this custom, and it was a downer to hear him narrate the same.

Got blessed with an opportunity to drink piping hot Lavanga tea, and then and there knew that this taste is going to linger in my memory for a long time to come.
Wholeheartedly made a donation which I'm sure is a little drop in the Ocean.

Here too, there was no restriction on photography.
So, went ahead with a video collage and few clicks on the camera shutter.

Two temple visits in Bangalore | Khatu Shyam Temple & Maa Ashapuri Dham-pigeonfood.jpg

Two temple visits in Bangalore | Khatu Shyam Temple & Maa Ashapuri Dham-pigeonflying.jpg

Visitors may kindly note that this temple is at a remote place.
Therefore, it's better to reach here in one's own mode of transport rather than depending on BMTC buses or share Autos.

Additionally, just want to highlight the unusual places nearby this temple: Dog training school, Luxury car service station, Depression and drug de-addiction facility.
One may accordingly pay a visit to these places too based on their needs and circumstances.

Would conclude by saying that it's a must visit temple for both foodies and devotees alike.
Two temple visits in Bangalore | Khatu Shyam Temple & Maa Ashapuri Dham-kalash.jpg
Prithvi Mundur is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 21:13   #2
BHPian

re: Two temple visits in Bangalore | Khatu Shyam Temple & Maa Ashapuri Dham

Thank you for the post. Was looking for something within BLR as my parents are here.

Rajdhani and other fancy restaurants do not do justice to Rajasthani food. Always prefer to eat home cooked Rajasthani dishes.
mukeshc18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 21:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Prithvi. I have passed by this temple a few times. But always in a hurry since those trips were to cover two places related to some work before I got back home to work. Am more free now, and will definitely go to the Ashapuri dham and have darshan.

Btw, there is another Rajasthani joint Ashapura Maa Dhabha Rajasthani on the Jigani road, a few km after Bannerghatta circle.

Last edited by condor : 8th May 2023 at 21:52.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 22:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this; adding to my list of places to visit.

It is often the case that one does not know such wonderful places that are closer to home!
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 07:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Two temple visits in Bangalore | Khatu Shyam Temple & Maa Ashapuri Dham

I’ve crossed the temple countless times, but somehow, had never dropped by. I guess I’ll visit soon. This temple sees a lot of crowd on Sunday noon.

Besides being remote, I’ll also urge people visiting this to drive a bit sedate on this road. It’s a scenic, lovely winding one that’ll tempt you to revv. Over the last year, a lot of speed breakers of various types and sizes have come up.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 22:54   #6
BHPian

Re: Two temple visits in Bangalore | Khatu Shyam Temple & Maa Ashapuri Dham

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw, there is another Rajasthani joint Ashapura Maa Dhabha Rajasthani on the Jigani road, a few km after Bannerghatta circle.
Thanks Condor. I Did visit this place.
Kichiya and Sogra got added to my lingo now

Sogra, seem to be made of Bajra, was heavy, and the Kichiya is a thick Papad and it's taste was good.
Gatta Jodhpuri and Veg Jaipuri were soaked in Oil. So, couldn't relish them much.
Subset of Menu for reference:
Two temple visits in Bangalore | Khatu Shyam Temple & Maa Ashapuri Dham-ashapuradhaba.jpg
Prithvi Mundur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks