Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2023, 16:56   #1
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite

It was just another day in the office in April, and the sun was beating down, My mind was wandering, as it does, and I couldn't stop thinking about taking a quick trip to a hill station in Tamil Nadu. Just then, one of my buddies hit me with some exciting news - he's getting hitched in May, and the wedding is in none other than Madurai!

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm happy for my friend and all, but let's be real - the real excitement here is the chance to hit up Kodaikanal, which just so happens to be conveniently located near Madurai.

Four people quickly joined for a trip and we made plans to travel in my Nissan Magnite.

The plan kept fluctuating as we initially chose Munnar as our destination. However, a friend in Munnar warned us that it might not be as cold in May and there might not be much greenery either, so we decided to drop the idea of visiting Munnar.

The challenge was that we had to choose a place near Madurai as we needed to attend a wedding there soon. The wedding was scheduled for May 22nd (Monday), so we took leave from work for May 19th, 20th, 21st, and 22nd.

After checking nearby places like Kumily, Munnar, and Theni, we found that they were not suitable for summer, except for Kodaikanal where the weather is somewhat pleasant during the day and much colder at night. However, one of my friends suggested that we visit Dhanuskodi since we had not been there before, so we decided to add it to our itinerary.

Our current plan is as follows:

May 19th: Travel from Chennai to Kodaikanal
May 20th: Stay in Kodaikanal
May 21st: Travel from Kodaikanal to Dhanuskodi and return to Madurai
May 22nd: Travel from Madurai to Chennai.

We were also concerned about the long journey on the third day, as traveling from Kodaikanal to Dhanushkodi and back to Madurai would be a 1000 km trip, and we were unsure of how tired we would get, especially during the summer when the heat can be intense. As of now, we have confirmed our plan, but we are also considering an alternative option of traveling to the Eleventh Canal in Cumbum on the third day and then heading directly to Madurai to rest for the night.

One advantage of our plan is that all four of us know how to drive, so we can take turns driving and avoid getting too tired during the journey. Additionally, since I am not comfortable driving at night, we will not have to travel at night during this trip.

The plan was changed after reading this travelogue - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-bmw-630d.html (A trip to Munnar in my BMW 630d) - as well as a few news articles stating that there was damage to the Pamban bridge and no trains were running on the bridge. Due to the summer heat, We didn't want to go there in such hot weather, and we were initially avoiding Munnar for the same reason. However, after seeing some pictures from the aforementioned travelogue, we decided to visit Munnar and altered the plan accordingly.

The revised itinerary is as follows:

May 19th: Travel from Chennai to Kodaikanal
May 20th: Stay in Kodaikanal
May 21st: Travel from Kodaikanal to Munnar - Stay in Munnar
May 22nd: Travel from Munnar to Madurai - Chennai.

But actually, here's what happened:

May 19th: Chennai to Kodaikanal
May 20th: Kodaikanal Stay
May 21st: Kodaikanal to Kumily
May 22nd: Kumily to Madurai (wedding) and back to Chennai.
raptor_diwan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 21:08   #2
BHPian

re: A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite

Day 1 :- Chennai to Kodaikanal

Despite hearing back-to-back news about heavy traffic in Kodaikanal, we were stuck with our Airbnb booking, so we had no choice but to embark on our adventure anyway.

We all agreed to meet at the crack of dawn, or so they claimed. I, on the other hand, managed to wake up fashionably late at 4:30 AM. Thankfully, all the packing was done the night before, so I just needed a quick shower and off I went to pick everyone up. The tank was filled the previous night, and I even reset the odo to 0

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-1.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-2.jpg

As we picked up the fourth person, the boot was already packed, but luckily, our trusty Nissan Magnite had some extra space.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-3.jpg

We hit the highway via the OMR-Vandaloor connection road and reached highway by 7 AM, just as planned. Surprisingly, the road was clear, and we cruised along, happily daydreaming about the adventures that awaited us for the next three days.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-4.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-5.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-6.jpg

Breakfast time! We made our usual stop on the highway, and I must say, I've tried multiple restaurants around here like Oorvasi and A2B, but this particular one takes the cake. The service and food quality are simply on a whole other level. It's become my go-to spot whenever I'm cruising down this road. Who knew a simple breakfast could bring so much joy?

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-7.jpg

Restarturant name :- HOTEL VASANTHA BHAVAN
Rating: 5 stars. I highly recommend this restaurant. Give it a try!

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-8.jpg

We had a big breakfast to keep our tummies full until we reached Kodai.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-9.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-10.jpg

We had a plan to have lunch at Dingigul Thalapakati in Vathalagundu, but we completely missed it! We were so engrossed in our conversation that we sailed right past it.

We decided to hold off on lunch until we reached Kodai.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-14.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-11.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-12.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-13.jpg

We took a few obligatory pictures and continued our ascent up the hill.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-15.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_20230519_134827.jpg

Surprisingly, there was absolutely no traffic at this point. In fact, the entire uphill journey to our room was as smooth as butter—no traffic jams to slow us down!

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-16.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-17.jpg

At the Kodaikanal Toll gate, the fee is 60 rupees, but , I have never received a ticket or receipt for it.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-18.jpg

We had lunch at our regular spot, which I consider to be one of the decent places to dine. While the dishes may not be exceptional, they are consistently good and satisfying.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-lunch.jpg

The place was incredibly crowded, and we had to wait for 20 minutes before finally having our lunch. Interestingly, the restaurant is named Karaikudi Chettinadu, giving the impression of an authentic South Indian culinary experience. However, to our surprise, both the chef and waiters were from North India, and the taste of the dishes didn't reflect the authentic flavors of South Indian cuisine.

After leaving the restaurant, we headed straight to the villa we had booked. We contacted our host to inform them of our check-in and they provided us with the GPS location. With the help of the directions, we reached the villa in just 20 minutes from the restaurant.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-19.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-20.jpg

This was our incredible room.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-21.jpg

It had three bedrooms, each with its own attached bathroom. The balcony offered a breathtaking view, and we could even park our car right in front of our door, allowing us to keep an eye on it from the balcony.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1377.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1378.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1380.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1381.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1384.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1394.jpg

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 26th May 2023 at 18:06.
raptor_diwan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 18:18   #3
BHPian

Balcony View

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_20230519_160707.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1395.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1396.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1400.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1401.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1402.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1408.jpg

Once we arrived, I was so exhausted that I hadn't slept properly the previous night. Fortunately, Everything in our current accommodation was excellent. As soon as I entered the room, I surrendered to a peaceful slumber, sleeping from afternoon till night without any interruptions.

Later, I was awakened by the sound of IPL coming from the hall. Curious, I made my way there and discovered a delightful surprise. The hall was adorned with celebration items and decorations. It dawned on me that they were preparing for my birthday, which was the next day. While I expected a cake cutting, the level of decoration and effort put in by my friends was truly exceptional and went beyond my expectations.

Here's the glimpse of it.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1437.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1448.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1481.jpg

I felt grateful for their thoughtfulness and the out-of-the-box decorations they had arranged.

We were all eagerly waiting for the magical moment of midnight to cut the cake. I insisting about 6-7 times that we should hurry up and slice it before the clock struck 12 as sleepiness was creeping in. However, my friends had other plans for me. They made me sit and watch the whole event unfold. We ended up enjoying some television time together before finally having a grand cake-cutting moment. It was a blast!

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1510.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_2064.jpg

Had a great time, and continued our conversations for hours, sitting on the balcony. Surprisingly, after the cake cutting, I completely forgot about feeling tired. Time simply slipped away, leaving us immersed in joyful moments.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1535.jpg

Later, everyone went back, but I found myself alone, sitting on the balcony, gazing at the stars and contemplating the future. Random thoughts flooded my mind. It was late at night, around midnight, and the temperature had dropped to about 12 degrees. It felt really nice to be there, on my birthday, just taking in the tranquility of the place. Sitting on the balcony was incredibly relaxing.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_20230520_003505.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1422.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-22.jpg

We didn't have many plans for the next day in Kodaikanal. It's a place we've visited countless times, and to be honest, I've personally been here over 30 times in my lifetime. So, I wasn't particularly excited to explore any specific spots. My main goal was simply to relax and unwind. I informed my friends not to bother waking me up, not even for breakfast. I assured them I'd wake up on my own, and then we could decide where to go from there.

That night, I had a fantastic sleep. Thanks to the room heater, it was incredibly cozy and comfortable. Each of us had our own separate room in the villa. We had three bedrooms, and one of our friends decided to crash in the hall, probably because he had some other exciting plans for the night. Hey, to each their own, right?

Overall, it turned out to be a good day.

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 30th May 2023 at 16:29.
raptor_diwan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 21:59   #4
BHPian

Day 2 :- Kodaikanal ( Poombarai & Kookal )

Day 1 was indeed quite exciting! As I had requested, my friends didn't disturb my sleep, and I ended up waking up at 11:45 AM. It was quite a surprise.

I was awakened by repeated phone calls. The view from my bed was absolutely breathtaking. I could see the stars twinkling in the night sky right from the comfort of my room. When I finally woke up, the view only got better. Unfortunately, my attempt to capture the mesmerizing sight with my iPhone turned out to be a pitch-black picture. It seems the stars were too elusive for my camera to capture from the bedroom. Nonetheless, the experience of waking up to such a picturesque view was truly unforgettable.

Feeling refreshed and ready for the day, I got myself ready and headed upstairs. To my surprise, everyone was already up and about, fully prepared for the day's adventures. One of my friends was lounging comfortably in the sofa, seemingly enjoying a lazy morning. Another friend was diligently washing the dishes in the kitchen, taking care of the ones we had used the previous night. And there was the third friend, out on the balcony, expertly hanging up freshly washed clothes to dry in the sunshine. It seemed like everyone had their assigned tasks, making the most of our time together.

I made a beeline for the balcony, eager to capture the beauty of the surroundings in a few pictures. The fresh air and scenic views were invigorating. Just as I was lost in the moment, one of my friends called me to join them for breakfast.

To my surprise, they had thoughtfully bought and arranged my favorite food items, including dosa and poori. It was as if they knew exactly what would make my taste buds dance with joy. It turned out that while I was sleeping, they had ventured out to a restaurant for breakfast. I felt grateful for their consideration.

Here's a sneak peek of our villa surroundings.

We decided to escape the crowded streets of Kodaikanal and explore the serene beauty of Poombari and Cookal Lake instead. We had heard news of the city being bustling with tourists and heavy traffic, so we opted for a more tranquil experience in the outskirts. Excitement filled the air as we set out from our room, ready to embark on a day of adventure and discovery.

Well, it seems I fell into the classic vacation trap of visiting a hill station during peak tourist season. Kodaikanal is no exception, with its streets bustling like a beehive on a honey rush. Despite my best intentions, I couldn't resist the allure, especially since the wedding is conveniently located nearby. Looks like I'll have to embrace the chaos and find my Zen amidst the bustling crowds.

Oh, the traffic troublemakers are none other than the local cab drivers! Despite the clear and easy flow of vehicles, they confidently choose to go in the wrong direction, causing a blockade for others and rudely cutting into the line. I couldn't fathom what they were thinking. I managed to stay calm for a while, but then I lost count as almost 20 cabs followed suit, and each time one cab passed, someone else from the queue would do the same, making the traffic even worse. It was like a never-ending cycle of chaos!

We finally reached the Poombari Viewpoint. Up until this point, the traffic had been quite intense due to the winding ghat road.

But hey, we made the most of it! With our trusty friends by our side, we turned the traffic ordeal into a fun experience. We savored the scenic views, both from inside the car and by strolling alongside it amidst the traffic.

Name:  13.png
Views: 756
Size:  815.2 KB

Source

Here's the online version vs reality in summer.

Well, I won't gripe about it, but I must say the experience at Poombarai wasn't entirely new to me. The Instagram hype and the actual reality can be quite different. It feels like Kodaikanal is going down the commercialized path, just like Ooty. In my opinion, Ooty has already lost some of its natural beauty and resembles more of a bustling city than a serene destination. I had hoped Kodaikanal would remain distinct, but it seems to be heading in the same direction.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-14.1.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-18.1.jpg

And Finally Reached Kookal Lake

To be honest, it's not just about the destination itself but also the journey we took to get there. The route we chose, from Poombarai towards Kookal, turned out to be a hidden gem. There was hardly any traffic, with just one or two vehicles passing every 5 minutes. The road may have been narrow, but it made the journey all the more enjoyable.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-23.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-24.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-25.jpg

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 30th May 2023 at 16:00.
raptor_diwan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 23:04   #5
BHPian

As the clock mercilessly struck 5:15, we faced the harsh reality that the arduous journey back to town would consume more hours.

With a heavy heart and tired feet, we reluctantly trudged our way back to the room.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-26.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-27.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-28.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-29.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-30.jpg

It started raining heavily for almost 30 minutes, and experiencing rain in the ghat section was something I truly loved. For me, it was a fulfilling experience for the day.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-31.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-32.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-33.jpg

This picture was captured by my friend using his Xiaomi 12 Pro with some default cloud enhancement settings, and the result was remarkable.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-34.jpg

Upper lake View

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-35.1.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-35.jpg

The traffic was incredibly heavy, causing us to reach our room at 9:30 PM. It took us hours and hours of driving, but the reality was that we spent most of the time stuck in the same spot due to the traffic. After a while, I decided to switch with my friend and asked them to drive, as constantly using the clutch was becoming tiring. That day, I developed a strong dislike for manual cars as we moved inch by inch from 6 to 9 PM.

We purchased some edibles for the evening, informing the host in advance about our dinner plans. The food would be prepared by the time we arrived. To our delight, the meal turned out to be excellent everytime.

After parking the car, I checked the mileage on the odometer, and it showed 14.4 kilometers per liter (KMPL). Considering the heavy traffic I encountered, this was actually quite good. Even if we reduce 2 it to be as low as 12.4 KMPL, but thankfully it exceeded my expectations.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-36.jpg

So far, we haven't made any plans for the next day, whether to reach Munnar or head directly to Madurai. As we were engrossed in conversation and enjoying ourselves for the night, I received a video call from a long-time friend. It was during this call that I suddenly realized it was my birthday, and I had completely forgotten about it. People had sent me birthday wishes, which I had overlooked.

It turned out that my friend was also attending the wedding and staying in Kumily, which was only 148 kilometers away. He was accompanied by another friend who happened to be mutual acquaintances with us. We inquired about the weather conditions, and he assured us that everything was fine. He suggested that we join them the next day, and it seemed like a great idea. Through a video call, he showed us his room and the surrounding places, and we were impressed. He went ahead and booked a room for us for the following day, and thus the plan to travel from Kumily to Kodai was finalized.

The day went smoothly in Kodaikanal, although we didn't engage in many activities. However, one important task remained unfinished: buying chocolates. We had promised to bring chocolates for several people in Chennai, including our colleagues at the office who specifically reminded us not to forget. we planned to complete the shopping tomorrow morning and then return to Kumily by evening to relax and unwind.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-37.jpg

I've snapped countless photos of my car from every possible angle, more than I have of myself. I can imagine you've already seen enough of my car from last night's photo session. But hey, I couldn't resist sharing another gem I captured the next day. Gotta give the car its 15 minutes of fame, right?
raptor_diwan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 23:28   #6
BHPian

Day 3 : Kodaikanal to Kumily

One lazy day, I woke up at 10 and started to pack everything. After getting refreshed, I brought all my luggage to the hall where everyone was busy packing their stuff.

I was standing on the balcony, taking a stroll around the house, making sure I didn't miss anything. The room I was in was truly fantastic, with all the necessary amenities. There was a home theater system, a strong Wi-Fi connection, a room heater, and every tap provided hot water. Everything was perfect. What caught my attention the most were the numerous paintings hanging throughout the house. I took pictures of all the paintings and I'll share them at the end of this conversation thread. I thought some people might be interested in paintings like I am.

Well, we may have stretched our checkout time a bit. The official time was 10 AM, but we ended up leaving around 11 AM.

We even made sure to properly clear the floor and leave the place spick and span.

Unfortunately, when 11 AM came around, breakfast was not available. We decided to head into town in search of breakfast. However, during our search, we stumbled upon a restaurant called Junior Kuppana near the bus stand and thought it would be a great opportunity to have a delightful lunch instead.

By the time we arrived at Junior Kuppana near the bus stand, it was already 11:30 AM. We attempted to order non-vegetarian meals, but unfortunately, only biryani was available. Nevertheless, we proceeded to order and enjoyed a satisfying lunch.

I had biryani and went shopping for chocolates.

Here's Mr. Faruk, the person we regularly buy chocolates from. He is from Kodaikanal and always has a cheerful disposition. He enjoys teasing and joking with us because he knows us well. Additionally, he often gives us advice and repeatedly asks me to get married, all in good humor. Haha!

We purchased a few chocolates, honey, eucalyptus oil, and coffee powder before we began our journey.

One of my friends wanted to buy carrots, plums, and a variety of fresh fruits, so we decided to purchase them as well. Our car was now fully loaded with our purchases. We then started our journey back to Kumily.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-17.1.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-18.1.jpg

During our return journey, we noticed that the traffic was relatively light. However, Mr. Faruk informed us that there was a temple pooja festival taking place, which might result in traffic in Kumily. Additionally, Munnar was also experiencing heavy traffic. Nevertheless, according to Google Maps, there seemed to be no traffic in Kumily, so we proceeded with our journey.

My friends enjoyed coconut water while I opted for a bottle of ocean water introduced to me by my friend. This beverage is similar to ORS but with fruit flavors and simple electrolytes. If you give it a try, you'll likely fall in love with it as it provides instant hydration and refreshment.

Have you noticed the missing wheel cap? Throughout this journey, I have been consistently facing the issue of losing wheel caps. Despite using two tags to secure them, I have lost a total of three wheel caps on the highway. During my trip to Coimbatore, I lost one, and even after buying a replacement, I lost another one during my second journey to Yercaud. This brings the total to three, and I'm truly frustrated with this ongoing problem.

Any ideas would be helpful!!

Notice that dirty board ? Kumily!

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 27th May 2023 at 16:46.
raptor_diwan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 19:48   #7
BHPian

Enroute to hotel room.

Once we reached Kumily, my friend shared the GPS location of the hotel. The name of the hotel is Hotel Chrissie's Cafe, and I really loved it. The place was so calm and had all the amenities, making it comfortable. The only downside is that there is no air conditioning.

Once we reached the hotel, while we were parking the car, we noticed a signboard for Elephant Junction. Intrigued, we inquired about it to the hotel receptionist, who happened to be a nice person with a good sense of humor. He immediately called Elephant Junction using his contacts and informed us that it was about to close. As luck would have it, we arrived there at 5:45 PM, and their closing time was 6 PM. They asked us to come as quickly as possible.

Without wasting any time, we started our journey to Elephant Junction. In fact, we hadn't even unloaded our luggage yet.

We hurriedly made our way to Elephant Junction and found a bit of a crowd there. Thankfully, all I needed to do was get a ticket before they closed for the day.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-38.jpg

We were lucky to be the last ones they allowed to buy a ticket, but I had to persuade them that we had traveled a long distance and that today was our only opportunity to visit. After explaining our situation, they finally gave us the ticket, and we eagerly waited for our turn to enjoy the ride.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-ticket.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-39.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-40.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-41.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-42.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-43.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-44.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-45.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-46.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-47.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-48.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-49.jpg

Finally, something worthy of coming to Kumily. I had a good time here.

They had more services like showers, but since we had been there the previous time, only the ride was possible. We had a good time and returned to the hotel.

The hotel was wonderful. There were paintings all over the walls on every floor, and each room had a unique painting done by a different artist from around the world.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-50.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-51.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-52.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-53.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-54.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-55.jpg

I thanked the hotel guy for the arrangement, ordered food for dinner, and went to my room to meet my old friend. There was a swimming pool on the terrace and a place to relax, so we had a good time. We met a few strangers, had a good conversation, and used the pool for a while to cool off. The dinner was fantastic and delicious.

Tomorrow is going to be challenging. We have to start from Kumily at 6am, and the wedding in Madurai is at 9:30am. We were so tired after the swimming session that we didn't think we'd be able to wake up, but the entire trip is planned for his wedding, and we can't imagine not being there!

The day when we had to sleep well, we didn't sleep the whole night, but it was still fun. We talked, I took a small walk in Kumily, and I bought a lottery ticket just for fun. I won 1000 rupees, but I couldn't claim it because I was already in Chennai by the time the results were released. Good luck to me for the first time!

Bought a few coconuts and chips for my home and had a good night.

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 27th May 2023 at 20:27.
raptor_diwan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 21:29   #8
BHPian

Day 4 : Kumily to Madurai ( wedding ) back to Chennai.

Let me share a few pictures of this hotel. The hotel seems to be good. According to Google, it is a 3-star hotel. Here are a few more pictures from this morning. Last night, I didn't take many pictures, but I had a great time here.

Here are a few pictures of the hotel we stayed at.

Hotel name: Chrissie's Hotel
Price: The room costs 3k and an additional 300 for an extra bed.

We started at 6:10 AM with the intention of reaching Madurai before 09:30 AM for the wedding. At first, I believed it would be an easy journey. However, as we encountered heavy traffic and poor road conditions after crossing the highway and a few railway crossings, I started to doubt if we would make it on time.

We had an amazing sunrise view from our car, with all the greenery and a nearly empty highway. We were cruising around 100 km/h with friends.

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 30th May 2023 at 15:48.
raptor_diwan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 20:12   #9
BHPian

We took a break for tea and ended up spending a lot of time there without realizing it. We took selfies and enjoyed eating whatever we could get, like hot vada and other snacks. We even loaded the car with a few snacks for the rest of the day.

We had a fantastic lunch, following the tradition of Madurai, with non-vegetarian meals comprising various mutton dishes. After enjoying a delightful brunch, we began our journey back to Chennai.

One of my buddies had left his VW Polo car at his work site in Trichy, so we went there to pick it up and bring it back.

Here are a few shots of both our cars.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-38.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-39.jpg

We purchased two jackfruits - one for the office and one for home. They were priced at 20 rupees per kg.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-40.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-41.jpg

It was already 6 o'clock, and we were feeling quite famished. Since we hadn't eaten anything after brunch and didn't make any stops along the way, we decided to stop at a shop. Although we didn't take note of its name, the food tasted delicious. We ordered a few sandwiches, bread omelets, samosas, and tea. While enjoying our snacks, I checked the three lottery tickets I had bought for fun and surprisingly won 1000 rupees! It seemed like my luck was on a roll. Unfortunately, I couldn't claim the prize right away as I would have to go back to Kerala to submit it. Nevertheless, this lottery win became a memorable part of our trip and a symbol of good luck.

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-42.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-43.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-44.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-45.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-46.jpg

Finally, the trip is complete. We arrived home at 8:30 PM despite heavy traffic caused by the metro.

The car performed admirably both on the hills and the highway, and the displayed mileage averaged at 15 km/l.

Considering the traffic and the fact that I had the AC on full blast, this is quite impressive. On the way to Kodai, I even managed to achieve a mileage of 18 km/l on the highway.

Total KM Covered: 1407 km
Average Mileage: 15.4 km/l
Fasttag Total Spends: ₹1416/-
Overall Stay Cost: ₹16,795/-
Overall Food Expense: ₹7000/-

This trip has been fantastic, even though we didn't visit many spots. Despite the summer season, the trip was enjoyable. The highway was slightly crowded, likely due to the vacation time.

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 30th May 2023 at 15:49.
raptor_diwan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 08:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Thread moved to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:34   #11
BHPian

Re: A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite

Very nice @raptor_diwan. Can you please share the details of the Villa at Kodai, looks great!
rhsakarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsakarp View Post
Very nice @raptor_diwan. Can you please share the details of the Villa at Kodai, looks great!
Sure, although I thought I had mentioned it somewhere in the blog, I noticed that I missed it. Here is the link: https://www.airbnb.co.in/rooms/31601...UbF1wpHmrXXcSf
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 14:08   #13
BHPian

Here are a few interesting paintings of the Kodai Villa that we found:

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-fotor_2023531_11_52_27.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1425.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1426.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1427.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_1498.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_2120.jpg

A journey through Kodaikanal and Kerala | Nissan Magnite-img_2122.jpg

These paintings beautifully capture the essence and charm of the Kodai Villa.
raptor_diwan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 20:39   #14
BHPian

Very nicely written travelogue, Raptor Diwan. I enjoyed reading it to the end.
Your writing skills are amazing, very simple, and detailed.
All photographs are good too.
Between the 20th to 26th of May, I was also having fun in Himachal Pradesh. I am also writing my trip travelogue in the assembly line.

Last edited by vattyboy : 31st May 2023 at 20:43.
vattyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 10:45   #15
BHPian

Very well written and presented travelogue. Your time spent with your friends reminds me of an old saying - It's not about where you travel. It's who you travel with that matters
armumbai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed