Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 12:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Lovely Pictures man.. I so envy you ;-)
BTW, solo you went ?? Reminds me of the Avenger ad : Feeling like God..
Old 17th August 2007, 14:30   #17
BHPian

Thanks everyone, riding out to Ladakh in 14 days, more pics to come soon
Old 17th August 2007, 18:12   #18
BHPian

@yogesh sarkar : The pics are amazing to the core. Am planning for a round trip : Delhi - Shimla - Tabo - Kaza - Manali - Delhi in last week of Sept or first week of Oct this year on my Pulsar. My Bro-in-law has agreed to accompany me (on his bike, though). Your trips, pics and articles should serve as points to note for me.

Not planning for Leh due to leaves being a constraint. Maybe, next year. Shall accompany you on 2008 trip

Also, if any TBHPian is interested for this trip this year, please let me know.
Old 17th August 2007, 18:50   #19
BHPian

In that case you might want to check out my Spiti triplog
Old 17th August 2007, 21:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh sarkar View Post
In that case you might want to check out my Spiti triplog
Awesome pics n great writeup, Dada. As I mentioned, I am low on holidays and high on spirit, I have to visit the place this year, but constrained for 5 days, instead of 6 as in your Spiti adventure

It was amazing to see you managed quite a distance in treacherous roads with a front flat, and still had the tube intact. Amazing.

I shall take a few tips for my trip from you.
Old 17th August 2007, 22:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

fantastic pics there, still planning a drive to leh don't know when it;ll materialize. The mighty Himalayas, my favourite place on this planet.
Old 17th August 2007, 22:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Dada, nice job. Been there quite a few times but your pictures are amazing. Please let me know which piece are you using to shoot these fabulous pictures. Awesome is the word which in itself does no justice to what you have here. Cheers. Next time do look me up for the trip.
Old 18th August 2007, 10:44   #23
BHPian

Yogesh,

I have been following your website and trip logs for some time now. I must say these are some of the best trip reports of North India I have ever come across. And I just love the 'Just Touched the Sky' video that you guys did! I show it to every one of my friends who have wanderlust in their blood.

Yogesh, I am amazed that you did the trip to Ladakh solo. How do you navigate? At some places the road was washed away. How do you find your way? And do you ride at night too?? That must be some experience, without any civilization in sight!

Also, my congratulations to you for your photography. You really make it seem as if I was living the trip myself. Keep up the good work!
Old 18th August 2007, 14:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

very very nice pics, ladakh is surely heaven on earth
Old 18th August 2007, 19:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutdcrap View Post
Awesome pics n great writeup, Dada. As I mentioned, I am low on holidays and high on spirit, I have to visit the place this year, but constrained for 5 days, instead of 6 as in your Spiti adventure

It was amazing to see you managed quite a distance in treacherous roads with a front flat, and still had the tube intact. Amazing.

I shall take a few tips for my trip from you.
You can easily do it in 5 days, but for that you would have to ensure nothing bad like puncture etc. take up a lot of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Dada, nice job. Been there quite a few times but your pictures are amazing. Please let me know which piece are you using to shoot these fabulous pictures. Awesome is the word which in itself does no justice to what you have here. Cheers. Next time do look me up for the trip.
I am using a Kodak cx7430 4mp digital cam, not really feature rich but gives a good contrast and saturation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
Yogesh,

I have been following your website and trip logs for some time now. I must say these are some of the best trip reports of North India I have ever come across. And I just love the 'Just Touched the Sky' video that you guys did! I show it to every one of my friends who have wanderlust in their blood.

Yogesh, I am amazed that you did the trip to Ladakh solo. How do you navigate? At some places the road was washed away. How do you find your way? And do you ride at night too?? That must be some experience, without any civilization in sight!

Also, my congratulations to you for your photography. You really make it seem as if I was living the trip myself. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Newcoolgadgets, no body can actually get lost in Ladakh unless they do some thing really stupid and if I can navigate easily in Ladakh then any one can (I get lost in Delhi, despite the fact I was born here and have lived my whole life here )

As for night riding, well I do ride at night especially in plains to avoid heat and traffic, but I like to avoid it once I am in hills, you don’t want to miss out on beautiful vistas by riding in night.
Old 20th August 2007, 10:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Dada, how long did you take to reach Padum from Kargil? What time were you there last year. I was there in a Gypsy around first week or June 2006.
Old 20th August 2007, 11:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hey Yogesh! Damn nice pics dude...certainly its heaven out there..so share your experience mate..
1.howz the weather and which part of the year you visisted?
2.any landslides?
3.any specfic birds or animals that you might have spotted ? the whole journey infact..Though i know some posting do exist by members who had been there before ....it would be a good guide for many on this forum who are planning a trip there.
cheers
Old 20th August 2007, 16:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Dada, how long did you take to reach Padum from Kargil? What time were you there last year. I was there in a Gypsy around first week or June 2006.
Kargil - Padum took roughly 11 riding hours spanned over two days with plenty of photo and butt breaks, with a night stop at Rangdum. I was there in the month of September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Hey Yogesh! Damn nice pics dude...certainly its heaven out there..so share your experience mate..
1.howz the weather and which part of the year you visisted?
2.any landslides?
3.any specfic birds or animals that you might have spotted ? the whole journey infact..Though i know some posting do exist by members who had been there before ....it would be a good guide for many on this forum who are planning a trip there.
cheers
Weather was mostly good, though it had started to get a bit cold but nothing too serious. I visited Ladakh in the month of September and started from Delhi on the 4th.

No Landslides as such, though the roads were in a bad condition thanks to heavy rains and floods in August.

Lots of birds (don't know species), ducks swimming in Tso Moriri and lots and lots of marmots, horses, cows sheaps etc.
Old 20th August 2007, 17:08   #29
BHPian

Dada, it seems your fan trail is growing day by day. Going there once is eternity attained for a bike rider, what about sequels? Must be really amazing experience..

Some questions for you:
  1. What should be ideal stops when on a bike. Is a 10-15 minute halt enough for every 250 kms on plains. This is meant for bike, not overheating and does not include biological halts.
  2. The biggest and most important question : Please enlighten me how did you persuade and most importantly convince your better half and family of the solo / bike trip? My wife seems to think otherwise.
  3. Is camping by oneselves overnite an alternate to guesthouses. I mean it would be real fun, but am concerned about safety, both from man and animals. What do you think and suggest?
  4. Are you experiencing anything abnormal, excessive wear and tear after this trip? How is the condition?
  5. Would you recommend carrying puncture repair tubes, or alternate tubes? Carrying foot pump is a necessity. How much does one cost?
  6. My battery is working fine, though its draining. It is unable to start the self but else is great. Do you recommend a charge to battery or a new one? Its just 13 months old.
  7. If going to Spiti through Shimla, are there any permits required. If yes, please tell which and how can we get them? What about the costs?
Old 20th August 2007, 17:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

DAMN !!! AMAZING PICS !!!! Well I have been to Manali & rohtang a few months back, next year my aim is to go to Ladakh - every drivers paradise. Cheers !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks