Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2024, 00:02   #1
BHPian

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels

It had been almost 10 months since I bought the Verna, and I was craving to take it on a proper road trip, not just point to point trips. In February I figured out the perfect plan to take it on a long Karnataka road trip in April end, and with that I also managed to impress my wife with a well thought out gift of a road trip (it was more for me) for her birthday.

Interestingly this trip coincided with the heat wave conditions on the eastern coast, which extensively affected southern region. Luckily we were moving towards slightly lesser affected areas and few of the stays were in hilly areas, so slightly better conditions.

The itinerary was as followed:
Day 1: Start the journey from Bangalore and reach Gokarna same day.
Day 2: Gokarna activities
Day 3: Gokarna to Udupi and on the way visits (Murudeshwara and Marvanthe)
Day 4: Udupi to Coorg (Honey Valley Homestay)
Day 5: Within Coorg, stay in Tamara resort
Day 6: Coorg to Bandipur JLR and enjoy the Safaris
Day 7: Bandipur JLR to K Gudi JLR
Day 8: K Gudi JLR to Bangalore (return).

Planned Route:
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-full-route.png

As the name and itinerary suggest, i tried to cover the North West, South West, South and South Eastern borders of Karnataka. I have segregated the whole post into three sections, Days 1-3, Days 4-5 and Days 6-8. I have given a detailed description of the stay, roads and POIs, then a TL;DR, along with the routes and fuel efficiency and followed by lots of photographs.

I hope this travelogue inspires you to explore the vibrant and diverse landscapes of Karnataka, or at least offers you a pleasant escape into our journey

Last edited by BudgetFailure : 5th May 2024 at 11:20.
BudgetFailure is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 16:06   #2
BHPian

re: Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels

Day 1 - Bangalore to Gokarna: Tale of Missed Turns
We left our home at 5:30 AM thinking that it was election day (not my voting day), we might end up getting stopped at multiple places and wanted to avoid any kind of blockages due to election. Well, we managed to exit the city in no time though there was decent amount of vehicles on the road, which i wasn't expecting given election day.

From my last Goa trip in April 2023, I recall the roads around Tumkuru were in pretty bad shape, which wasn't the case anymore. I was able to cross Sira by 7:30 AM and made the first break at A2B. Had a quick breakfast and left for the remainder of the journey following GMaps. This was the first time when I had not really pre-planned the routes and was going to rely on Google Maps completely. (Not doing it again)

Around Chitradurga, we were greeted with the wind farms, and decided to take a quick detour to a nearby village with an expectation to get a really close view of the Wind Mills and possibly look at birds in the nearby Gonur Lake. We got a good enough closeup of the Wind Mills, but couldn't reach the lake as the roads that were being shown on GMaps vs the real roads were not drivable and finally ditched the place to get back on track.

We had decided to take the Sirsi route as my spouse found that a lot of fellow TBHPians had mentioned Sirsi route apart from the Hubbali-Ankola route, and GMaps was showing the same. Post crossing Devanagere, we were supposed to take a left turn to reach Gokarna via Sirsi, and almost all the navigation guidance that GMaps gave me were missed as the exits didn't seem at the right places and the ones that were, were only suitable for a bike. We finally decided to just take the Hubbali-Ankola highway. On the way, GMaps suggested that we can take an early exit from the NH and still go via Ankola saving around 30 mins, we took it, and ended up on ~10km bad patch via multiple villages, but joined the undivided NH 52 soon. It was in decent shape. On this patch we found a small piece of side road going up to boundary of a nearby lake, we took it, and to our disappointment were greeted with people taking bath right there. It was funny though, took a few pics and got back on the road.

Starting here, the route became scenic with greenery all around, less traffic and curvy ghat roads. I loved each and every bit of this part of the road and would suggest if you want to enjoy the drive, take this route. (Is Sirsi equally good?)

To reach Gokarna, you don't really need to go to Ankola, but take a left turn which takes you adjacent to the Gangavali river all the way till you join the NH 66. GMaps was showing this turn but i ended up missing it because we were busy talking.

Once you reach Gokarna, make sure you take the left turn before the main market in case you are living on the Kudle/Om Beach side, the Market/Temple road has no road for car that goes to Kudle beach and Google Maps would not help much post this point. As usual, I missed the turn and decided to take the Market road, being over smart! I had to come all the way back to the place where GMaps originally told me to take a left turn for Om Beach road. Finally at 2 PM we made to our destination, Zostel.

We had lunch at the Mantra Cafe in Zostel. It was decent with a good view of the Gokarna Beach. In the evening went for a short walk towards the sunset view point, which was really mesmerizing, the weather had become pleasant and the sunset looked just amazing. Interestingly, we met Pratheek Kundre (Assistant Editor @ BikeWale) during the short walk to the view point and got to hear a lot of stories and interesting conversations from the biking world. He was touring on his Himalayan 450 and also informed me about the upcoming NS400 release.

On our way back, we had tasty Kombucha(Pomegranate one is a must try) in Halfway Home and dinner at Zostel. Mantra Cafe is worth having food just once, nothing special about it, and there are options nearby which one should visit.

Overall efficiency on this route was 20+kmpl based on tank to tank method. One of the highest till date, also the relaxed driving contributed to this significantly, still I am impressed!

Route:
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-day-1.png

TL;DR
Left at 5:30 and reached Gokarna at 2PM. Route taken was Bangalore-Hubballi-Ankola-Gokarna, with a few missed turns. Avoid going into city if your destination is towards Kudle Beach.
Zostel has eateries and view points nearby, do visit, especially the Sunset point after Hill Top View and definitely have Kambucha at Halfway Home.

Uptil this segment the fuel efficiency returned was 15+ kmpl, still decent enough.

Day 2 - Gokarna: Trek with a view, Beach with a breeze
Started our day early at 5:30 AM for the Beach Trek with the group. Zostel folks had organized autos for transport and took us to the Belekan Beach where the trek started. We were given some quick instructions and off we started to see the wonderful beaches at 6 am. First beach was the Paradise beach 1 km away that took us close to 20 mins to reach. On our way we saw a group of langoors and were greeted with bird chirping all throughout. After spending some time at Paradise beach, we started towards the Half Moon Beach.
The next 1 km was a bit tricky with many steep ups and downs, but nice views all across. By the time we reached Half Moon beach, it was close to 7:30 AM and one of the shacks had already opened for breakfast. We spent around 30 minutes at this pristine beach and had a big omelette from the nearby shack ( one can wait for breakfast till the om beach as it was a basic omlette)
Next stop was Om Beach, that took us close to 40 minutes to reach. On the way, we went to a view point, which shows why it is called "Om" beach, the shape was evident and also there is another view point from where one can see dolphins (however, we were not lucky). Overall the trek is medium difficulty if you are a beginner, and do not forget to carry ample amount of water, the whole trek is dehydrating with almost nothing to eat/drink on the way until Om Beach (morning time mostly things are closed). Also, do not go in slippers or sandals, wear good shoes.

We took a quick rest at Om Beach because of the merciless weather and the dehydration it caused. Decided to have a second breakfast at Namaste Cafe, I had heard good things about it. It turned out to be just OK taste wise. Took auto back to Zostel. Spouse took rest, and I arranged a scooter.

By now we had decided to try out the Chez Christophe @ Gokarna Beach, we left under the burning sun to go this place to try out the French cuisine, and we were glad we went there. The vibe there was completely different, relaxing, laid back, soft music, beach, breeze and of-course tasty food. Spent good 2 hours relaxing, couldn't sit at the beach though because of the heat.
Later in the evening decided to visit Kudle Beach for sunset and bathe in the ocean. On the way back, visited Halfway Home for another round of Kombucha and a garlic bread, and I returned happy! Later in the night decided for Chez Christophe again (Wife's Birthday dinner), walked under the moon there and enjoyed the cool breeze. Ended the day with a nice lasagna and Chocolate Moose.

TL;DR
Went for the 4 beach 5km long trek in the morning, visited Belekan, Paradise, Half Moon and Om Beach on foot. Had food at a local shack at Half Moon Beach, Namaste Cafe, Halfway Home, Chez Christophe. Relaxed at Kudle and Gokarna beach. Mode of transport changed from car to Auto/Scooter for today.

Routes:
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-gokarna-trek.png
Trek
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-day-2-gokarna.png
Overall Gokarna places

Day 3 - Gokarna to Udupi: Scenic Route begins!
Started our day with returning the scooter and taking a 15 minutes walk to Pai Hotel located in the Main Temple street. Had heard that it offers really great food, specially the Banana Buns, oh I was amazed. Such soft Idlis with good chutney and banana buns were simply too good. The right amount of sweetness. Ended up getting them packed for the journey ahead. I would say must visit this place.

We checked out of the Zostel and took a quick stop at the Shiva Cave, a small cave with a hole and light coming through making it very beautiful, wanted to explore more but the heat takes a toll in a cave. We decided to skip Jog Falls given the dry weather and instead chose to take the route via Murudeshwara to reach Udupi. The roads around Kumta were disappointing due to multiple towns and traffic. Dhareshwar onwards roads became better and slightly scenic. We were able to cruise @80kmph.
My excitement died as soon as I reached Murudeshwara Temple road - traffic, dust and overcrowded temple and scorching heat greeted us. I paid the parking fee, parked the car, took a few shots and left the place as I found out that the temple was constructed recently (~20 years ago) and the architecture doesn't hold any historical significance, only the place does. This set us back by ~30 minutes.

Once back on the highway, the road became more scenic with a view to the hills, which changed into an amazing ocean view as we neared Marvanthe. Took a good 30 minutes stop at Marvanthe beach. The place has completely transformed from what it was around 8 years back when I did my bike trip to the western coast. Even under the scorching sun, walking at the beach gave a sense of cool and calmness. A must have break!

Hit the road back after enjoying the beach, and decided to take a lunch break near the last toll from Udupi. South India Thali never disappoints and we were glad that we took a lunch break as we got stuck into a 30 mins jam near Udupi due to ongoing construction. Our destination was an AirBnB on the Bengre Beach road (not exactly Udupi/Malpe but very near). The road has River on one side and ocean on the other, it can not get any better than this. After a quick refresh at the stay, we decided to check out the Bengre beach, amazing view! Came back to the BnB and decided to take an evening Coffee break at the place looking at the setting sun. The place had a huge garden which opened towards the beach directly. It can not get more private than this. Photos would do justice, words can't!

We ended the day with dinner @ Nemo's, a property owned by Paradise Isle Beach Resort, which used to be the only place on Malpe beach. The food at this place was quite good and live music added to the charm. I found the beach has become quite commercialized now, but still clean enough.

TL;DR
Had Breakfast at Pai Hotel, known for its local cuisine and Banana Buns. Visited Shiva Cave on our way and left for Udupi via Mudeshwar, but skipped the temple due to heat and extreme rush. Took a quick stop at Marvanthe Beach, a must do activity even in the heat. Encountered jam due to construction while entering Malpe/Udupi. Visited Bengre Beach. Had food at Nemo's @ Malpe Beach.

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_2776.jpeg
While leaving A2B
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_2791.jpeg
Wind Mills on the way
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_0379.jpg
Near the lake I mis-found
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_2816.jpeg
Myntra/Zostel Cafe
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_2818.jpeg
Zostel Cottage
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_2820.jpeg
View from Myntra Cafe
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_2878.jpeg
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_2941.jpeg
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_2988.jpeg
Gokarna Beach from Zostel at dawn
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_3015.jpeg
On the way to paradise beach
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_3086.jpeg
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240504-23.38.04.jpeg
Paradise Beach
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_3147.jpeg
Somewhere on the way to Om Beach
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_3189.jpeg
Om Beach from the view point
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_3336.jpeg
Kudle Beach
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_3443.jpeg
Kambucha @ Halfway Home
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_3452.jpeg
Gokarna Beach
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_3495.jpeg
Chez Christophe at Gokarna Beach
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_3498.jpeg
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240504-23.44.07.jpeg
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_3554.jpeg
Verna with Kudle Beach in the background
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240504-23.38.19.jpeg
Verna @ Marvanthe Beach
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240504-23.38.53.jpeg
Stay in Udupi

Last edited by BudgetFailure : 5th May 2024 at 11:24.
BudgetFailure is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 16:07   #3
BHPian

Day 4 - Udupi to Coorg:
Started the day with some sunrise shots of the beauty. Went on a morning drive funding a good place to eat and ended up at a small family run hotel Panchami. Ah, what tasty idlis at 6:30 am! Headed back to our stay, and decided to checkout the rear beach as it was supposed to be low tide then, and boy we were in for a treat! Just look at the photos. Spent good 1 hour in the ocean bathing. There was not a single person in 1 km vicinity on either side and such a clean beach. I simply loved it and wish it stays the same.

It was hard saying bye to this property, but we had to and left for Coorg, though decided to take a quick detour to visit Blue Whale Beach via the Docks. Blue Whale beach had a whale skull which was washed upon to shore a few years ago. The whole coastal road is worth driving through, amazing scenery good enough roads.

We decided to take a quick detour to try out Mangalorean cuisine @ Machali restaurant. Extremely good decision. Tried Tawa Fried King fish with the Fish curry meal, oh it was extremely tasty. Interestingly Mangalore seemed like a very green city, and quite a different with decent infrastructure. In and out of the town didn't take much time.

We were considerably slowed down due to the ongoing widening of the NH 75 road, which continued till we took the turn towards Puttur. Roads again became scenic and curvy this point forward, with a few towns in between with slow moving traffic. Overall this patch was amazing. Took a quick break at CCD after Sullia. We reach our destination Honey Valley @ 5PM.

Honey Valley is situated 2 kms inside and can only be reached on foot or on a 4x4 vehicle, so those guys send their vehicles to pick you up and going uphill itself is a feat. This time we stayed in their Chingara Guest House. Honey Valley is located in lush green forest and is a place for those who are interested in hiking, birds, nature or simply want to relax in nature. Our intention was to look at birds and go for hiking to the nearby ridge next day. Honey Valley also has a private water fall, but thanks to the weather, it was all dried up, but still a nice place to visit and take pics. Their home cooked food is pretty amazing and allows you to experience the Coorgi cuisine. We had opted for a private room in the bungalow which opened up to the night sky. It was a very peaceful experience, looking at the night sky with fire flies all around you. You have to experience it to know it. Words or pictures don't do justice.

TL;DR
Started day with car pics against rising sun, ate breakfast at a local place Panchami hotel. Spent time at the beach behind the property, and left for Coorg but took a slightly longer route to visit Blue Whale Beach. Had lunch @ Machalli in Mangalore, must go if you are into fishes. NH 75 has widening going on, so you would be slowed down there. Road via Puttu till madikeri is excellent and engaging. Reached Honey Valley where they pick you up from their parking area where we need to leave the car. It is more of a home stay.

Day 5 - Coorg:
Next day we started early for the trek to the near by ridge (around 4.5 km one side). There are dogs at the property that are super playful and when you go on trek take they tend to follow you. They followed us for good 2.5 km till we entered the jungle part (it is adjacent to Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary). It feels fresh while you are trekking and get to enjoy the views across while at the same time knowing that there is no one in the vicinity and you are actually going through a part of the forest area where wild animals move kind of scares you. Thankfully we did not encounter any wild animals on our way and the view from the top was amazing. We could see Tadiyandamol peak from the view point. A first for my wife, she is definitely getting the feel of it and I am happy about it, more treks to come!

Climbing down was a piece of cake (almost) and we were right on time for the breakfast. Spent good 30 minutes sitting on the boundary of the room balcony looking at the trees and the bird around. It feels good when you are in place where there are extremely less people around you.

We left the place and reached the parking area in the same Mahindra CL-550. One day I would want to try out a proper off road vehicle on such a terrain. Our next stop was just 2 km away, the Tamara Coorg. Driving up the hill towards Tamara entry was fun, it was a continuous climb all the way till their gate. We were welcomed with a Jaggery Coffee. Quite different, but expected in the world of coffee.

Tamara, though situated in lush green area, is quite different from the Honey Valley experience. Here one could see that it is a commercial property at the end of the day with proper custom plantations done (beautiful though). There restaurant "The Deck" is built on top of a waterfall with glass floor looking down at it. The food was amazing, we tried Kodava cuisine in Lunch, and had buffets in dinner and breakfast. The cottages are quite spacious and well maintained, with the balcony/sit out area pointing the lush green Coorg hills. It was a sweet spot to watch birds as well.

We walked through the property and found an abandoned trail called Karadimoole Coffee Trail. It was closed for public last year due to crossing of wild animals like elephants and boars through the path. Out of curiosity we went inside for approximately 300 meters. At the last point it was so silent with no proper trail markings that it sent out chills into our body. on top of that we heard an elephant trumpet and then bursting crackers, possibly to force the elephants out of the coffee estates. We took some shots and videos and got back immediately, but it was a worth it experience. Unlike the Honey Valley trail that we took, this was untouched for almost a year, so definitely risky.

TL;DR
Went for a morning trek to a nearby peak, could see the Tadiandamoltrek, total elevation gain was around ~400m in 8.5km total. Later checked in to Tamara, which was nearby. Spent some time in their property.

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.33-1.jpeg
View from the Udupi property

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.33.jpeg
View from the stay at Udupi

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.33-2.jpeg
View from the Udupi property

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.33-3.jpeg
Nemo's at Malpe beach.

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.33-4.jpeg
Stunner against the Sita River

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.33-8.jpeg
Family run Panchami restaurant, the only place which was open at 6:30 am, and served great food.
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.33-9.jpeg
Blue whale skull at the beach
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.33-10.jpeg
Vehicle that picks you up from the parking
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34.jpeg
Bunglow
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.27.49-1.jpeg
Sunset from the sitout
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240504-23.39.23.jpeg
Dried up waterfall, hopefully comes back to life in monsoon
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240504-23.39.35.jpeg
Doggies accompanying us to the trail from Honeyvalley
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-1.jpeg
Honeyvalley path
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-2.jpeg
Sunset view from the room
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-3.jpeg
Dining Place @ Chingaraa
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-4.jpeg
Night sky from Chingaraa
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-5.jpeg

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-6.jpeg

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-7.jpeg

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-8.jpeg

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-9.jpeg
Looking at Kabbe Hills
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-10.jpeg
We could look at Mt Tadiandamol
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-11.jpeg
We had watermelon at the top of the ridge
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-12.jpeg
Entrance Tamara
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-14.jpeg
View from the living area of the cottage
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-15.jpeg
Cottage view
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-16.jpeg
Looking at birds
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-17.jpeg
View from sitout area
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240505-00.25.34-18.jpeg
A beautiful flower in Tamara

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-whatsapp-image-20240504-23.40.23.jpeg
Now abandoned trail near Tamara

Last edited by BudgetFailure : 5th May 2024 at 11:36.
BudgetFailure is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 16:14   #4
BHPian

Day 6 - Coorg to Bandipur: Race against Time
We started the day with some bird watching from the sit out area and saw quite a few birds. Post wrapping up the breakfast, we ended up checking out at 10:40 AM, which meant we could reach Bandipur JLR at 3:10 PM as per GMaps. This would put us in a tricky stop and JLRs have a very well planned schedule which can not be moved, 3PM they start the Safari, and we needed to do our lunch also before that. So we decided to target 2:30 to reach the place so that we are able to checking, have lunch and be ready for the Safari in time. Route that Google was suggesting was either via Mysore or Nagarhole Forest, 30km lesser via Nagarhole but just 5 mins less in overall time.

We decided to take the Nagarhole route (SH 86) and oh boy what a decision it was. The roads were excellent, scenic and empty. We joined the Highway in Begur (last 10 km patch before Begur were in bad condition) and were able to reach the JLR right at 2:15 PM, full 55 minutes earlier. What it also meant that there was simply no time for sight seeing on our way.

Quickly checked in, had lunch and went for the Safari, literally not a single minute was wasted in between. Dot 3PM we were off for the Safari. JLR safaris are almost 3 hours long and take through the forest across 30-40 km in distance. Luckily in the first safari itself we got to see a Tigress sleeping, an elephant and lots of birds. While returning, rain surprised us and the weather became so pleasant. The scent of the first rain on the dry soil made us feel so good and relaxed.

JLRs offer good food, and you get to hear so many stories from the folks. Good vibe all around. Bandipur JLR is around 3-5km before the forest gate and even post that we drive for 5-6 more km before we actually take the safari route.

TL;DR
Had to rush to Bandipur JLR as there was not enough time and JLRs are tight on schedule, but we managed to cover the distance and do all the activities. Safari was nice and we spotted multiple animals and birds.

Day 7 - Bandipur to K Gudi: From one forest to another
Started with early morning Safari, spotted two Sloth Bears that were quick to run into the bushes, it was a first sighting for us ever. Remaining safari was uneventful, but we enjoyed the drive. We had ample amount of time as the next destination was merely 2 hours away, so we enjoyed the coffee in the sit out area

We checked out at 10:30 AM from Bandipur JLR. We took three stops on the way to appreciate the beauty and capture a few bird shots. The road to K Gudi is quite scenic as soon as you enter the BRT Tiger Reserve forest, although it too was affected by the extended summer and we could see the green patches were not as green as last year. When entering from Chamrajnagar side, the last 2-3 kms to K Gudi don't have good roads but the nearby scenery lets you ignore that.

We had the same routine in the K Gudi JLR. But this time, interestingly Prasanna, K Gudi's manager, sat in the same safari camper and it turned out to be extremely informative. He pointed out each and every bird, told us different sounds they make. It was quite informative. I didn't know that K Gudi has 6 types of forest areas, from ever green to deciduous forest. We couldn't see any big animals, but lots of bird activity, even saw a waterhen running with a small snake in its mouth and a myna and heron chasing it to get the catch. It was quite funny.

The construct of K Gudi makes the environment much more interactive than any other JLRs that I have visited. We got to meet many hobby wildlife photographers and got to see their photography equipment. Wildlife Photography is both interesting and requires you to actually invest both time and money. For me, I use a 13 years old Sony NEX-5 mirrorless camera with a 55-210 lens, works for now, may be some time later will look for upgrading it. But till then this along with my two binos Nikon P7 and Celestron Skymaster 25x70 is good enough for the amateur in me.

TL;DR
Saw 2 sloth bears in morning safari, reached K Gudi @ 12:30 PM itself, right at time of check-in. Got to go on safari with the Manager, turned out to be very informative. Met Wildlife Photography enthusiasts and saw their portfolios.

Day 8 - K Gudi to Bangalore: Every trip ends, but memories remain
Post the Safari, left the camp at 10:30, and took the longer route which would be via the Shivanasamudra Falls, just for the roads. While going downhill we saw a board which said Medicinal plants BRT, and thought that it was an open area outside of the forest. Turned out it was not, and it had been abandoned for quite some time now. We ended up going 500 meters inside surrounded by trees all around and lots of elephant dung visible on the near invisible trail markings. Took a u turn in that place, with lots if dried trees and shrubs scratching the under body of the car. It was quite adventurous to be frank, but when we hit the tar road again, a weird sound started coming off the right tire, and given I was still 6 km away from the forest gate, i couldn't get out and check it. As soon as we exited the forest, I got out and checked the source, and oh boy a 2 feet long dried branch, almost 1.5 cm in dia was stuck in my right wheel and was bent into a semi circle touching the brake caliper and the suspension, luckily i did not speed up so all was good, took it out and hoped for no damage. Should have taken a snap, totally forgot.

Post exiting a started following GMaps again, and went through multiple villages which i do not recall when i visited BR Hills last on bike, any way, we were able to reach Maddur for lunch at Maddur Tiffany. It was ok. Next stop was a CCD on the Mysore Bangalore Highway, post which the weather changed and as we entered the temperature was down to 25 degrees, a much needed relief for Bangalore.

TL;DR
Left the camp and chose the longer route. Visited an unmarked abandoned place in the forest, adventurous yet scary. Ended up with a branch stuck in why right front wheel, but no damage. The roads were majorly good till Maddur. Had a quick bite at Maddur Tiffany. Entered Bangalore when it started raining. Good trip overall

In total I covered 1400+ km in this 8 day long journey and the car really came to life across all the terrains it went through, sand, uphill with no roads, express way, wet roads, you name it. On top of this mileage came out 16+ kmpl for the whole journey. The best part is that for two people, the suspension and ground clearance is good enough, not once did the under body scrape, I literally went over some huge breakers. In fact in another one of my trips, I ended up going through a speed breaker at the speed of 70 kmph at night, and not a single part scraped (this was with three folks in total and some luggage).

My car now stands 1 year old with 15,000 km on the odo. I hope more to come next year!

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-4.jpg
Bandipur JLR

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-c7a622bb188544258f63e8d84db904f4.jpg
Bandipur Safari Camper after the evening rain

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-1.jpg
On the way to K Gudi

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_5593.jpg
K Gudi Entrance

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-2.jpg
On the way to K Gudi

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-3.jpg
On the way to K Gudi

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-3baa3e81253b4f63ab0c90b10d957bd1.jpg
K Gudi buffet

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-629eae87dae3418c83d347e050576132.jpg
K Gudi Cottages

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_5607.jpeg
One of the groups we talked to, their equipment

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_5654.jpg
Medicinal Plants Conservation Area, it is non existent

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-img_5668.jpeg
Bangalore Sky during rain

Last edited by BudgetFailure : 5th May 2024 at 16:33.
BudgetFailure is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 10:27   #5
BHPian

Some wildlife pics:
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01846.jpg
Malabar Grey Hornbill with a berry
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01856.jpg
Malabar Grey Hornbill
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01891.jpg

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01905.jpg
Serpent Eagle
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01917.jpg
Tiger resting on wet muddy patch
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01940.jpg
Samabr deer
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01948.jpg
Gaur
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01951.jpg
Gaur
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01959.jpg
Green Bee Eater
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01961.jpg
Some turtle
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01971.jpg
Bay-backed Shrike
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01982.jpg
Wile Dogs
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01987.jpg
Lapwing
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01993.jpg
Gaur
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01995.jpg
Woolly necked Stork
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc01996.jpg
Painted Stork
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02007.jpg
Oriental Darter
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02011.jpg
Coromorant i believe
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02018.jpg
Velver fronted nuthatch
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02022.jpg
Common Hawk Cuckoo
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02025.jpg
Fish Owl
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02033.jpg
Waterhen being chased by myna and Heron to get the snake kill
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02050.jpg
Blue-faced Malhoka
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02056.jpg
Serpent Eagle
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02063.jpg

Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02064.jpg
Common Hawk Cuckoo
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02080.jpg
Sloth Bear
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02085.jpg
Wild Boar
Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels-dsc02086.jpg
Langoor

Last edited by BudgetFailure : 5th May 2024 at 10:43.
BudgetFailure is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 04:30   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mini Quadrilateral in Karnataka on 4 wheels

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 20:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

Lovely travelogue with very nice pictures.

You certainly had a lot of fun and it comes thru very well. A mileage of 16+ is a blessing for a car with so much power on tap.

In my honest opinion coastal Karnataka has some of the best food in the world. I especially love the rawa fried fishes.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 09:34   #8
BHPian

Excellent travelogue! I loved reading it. The places looks stunning and the Verna just makes it look even better. The mileage this car gives on the highway, with level for the performance it has is just wow.

Last edited by vignesh207 : 13th May 2024 at 09:35. Reason: Typo
vignesh207 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 16:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In my honest opinion coastal Karnataka has some of the best food in the world. I especially love the rawa fried fishes.
I would completely agree on this, everywhere we went, we had tasty food. Especially the fish in mangalore and udupi. the coorgi food was nice too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh207 View Post
Excellent travelogue! I loved reading it. The places looks stunning and the Verna just makes it look even better. The mileage this car gives on the highway, with level for the performance it has is just wow.
Mileage with full opportunity to enjoy the roads and all the curves. I am quite happy with my decision of getting this car.
BudgetFailure is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed