Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2024, 03:41   #1

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro

As the news of a solar superstorm spread, promising breathtaking Aurora displays visible through Northern Canada, my wife and I embarked on an impromptu adventure. Equipped with supplies for two nights and fueled by excitement, we set out from Vancouver in our trusty Kia Niro, eager to witness nature's dazzling spectacle.

KP8 forecast, the highest it has been in past 20 years.
Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-442391675_10161211103239854_4043289244161750609_n.jpg

Our journey began at 6 pm, winding through the city streets until we hit the open road. Loaded with essentials, our Kia Niro proved to be the perfect companion for the trip. Cruising along Highway 1, we made a pit stop at a Costco gas station in Abbotsford before continuing our journey towards Hope. From there, the breathtaking Highway 5 beckoned, guiding us through the Coquihalla Summit with its majestic views and high-speed limits. Maintaining a steady 130 km/h pace, we glided towards Merritt, where we transitioned onto Highway 5A, leading us to our destination: Kelowna.

Arriving in Kelowna around 10:30 pm, hunger pangs led us to a quick drive-thru bite before dropping our luggage at the Fairfield Inn hotel. Eager to catch the Aurora spectacle, we wasted no time and headed straight for the Okanagan Observatory, located off Highway 33. En route, the night sky began to dance with streaks of color, signaling the start of our celestial adventure.

Stopping midway to soak in the mesmerizing views, we marveled at nature's light show before continuing our journey to the Observatory. Upon arrival, we found ourselves amidst a handful of fellow enthusiasts, enveloped in darkness yet guided by the passion for stargazing. Volunteers graciously shared their expertise, offering tips on capturing the Auroras through lenses and memories alike. As the night unfolded, the Aurora display painted the sky with vibrant hues, leaving us spellbound until the early hours of the morning.

In the quiet darkness of the night, we experienced a once-in-a-lifetime event right at our doorstep. Our journey in search of Auroras was not just about witnessing a natural wonder; it was a testament to the thrill of adventure and the joy of discovery. And with memories captured and hearts full, we returned home, grateful for the unforgettable experience.

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-img_29461.jpg

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-img_2885.jpg

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-img_2865.jpg

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-img_29161.jpg

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-img_29271.jpg
neon115 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 11:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro

Glorious photos indeed! May I ask what were your camera settings ?
Old 14th May 2024, 11:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithDefender View Post
Glorious photos indeed! May I ask what were your camera settings ?
Believe it or not these are taken from iPhone 15 pro
neon115 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 12:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon115 View Post
Believe it or not these are taken from iPhone 15 pro
No way
I was certain it was either a mirrorless or dSLR!
SithDefender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 23:38   #5
BHPian

Amazing pics.

Here are some clicked from my community in Pittsburgh, PA.

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-1.jpg

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-2.jpg

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-img_7216.jpg

Last edited by nikhilarni : 14th May 2024 at 23:43.
nikhilarni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 00:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow. That's a pretty long journey you took to watch the Northern Lights. Excellent pictures and glad that you enjoyed the drive.

I was at home entertaining guests and when I stepped out to bid them goodbye around midnight, I casually looked up in the sky and was blown out of my mind.

There was a spectacular show of Aurora Borealis right outside home. We hastily got the car out and drove to our local downtown to enjoy the visual spectacle in a more "darker environment".

I cannot believe that I spent a lot of money last year to visit Alaska to chase "Northern Lights" and now it was seen right from our home's doorstep.

More pics here :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5768408 (Rosso Diablo | 2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance (M3P) | 17,000 miles in 18 months | Ownership Report)

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-img_6557.jpg

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-img_6556.jpg

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-4795e73aa0094cbfbb4771ce2c95c09f.jpg

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-1f0b552cc97f4b0685e07e991ecc18a9.jpg

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-fcc5cd0b6c784b7d8b09d2a599dc2fca.jpg

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-img_0250.jpg

Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-img_6567.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 01:33   #7
BHPian

Here are the ones I took with the mirrorless Z8. I expected the Aurora's to be bright but they looked greyish or silverish to the naked eye with little color. However, I could see them "dancing". My camera could sense them appropriately. Probably closer to the North Pole, they might appear the same as in the camera.

Location: Devil's State Park, North of Madison, Wisconsin State, US
Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-dsc_4336.jpg
Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-dsc_4289.jpg
Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-dsc_4329.jpg
Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-dsc_4317.jpg
Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-dsc_4283.jpg
Chasing Auroras: A Night Journey with the Kia Niro-dsc_4260.jpg

Most Viewed