Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2007, 22:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
kaushik, no issues, I have personally not driven on Gudalur road , hence cannot compare, my last trip was in a night bus...I wrote it cause I heard from two of my peers... You must be right as you are more experienced than them!!

Entrance of ooty is motorable now, it is not potholed but uneven initially and gets better while approaching ooty...Also I saw some road upgradation work going on...Lets hope the Gudalur route gets motorable by car soon...I sometimes wonder, being such a famous hill station, why are the authorities not working on the Gudalur route...This road is no where close to the Kodaikanal 50km climb...It is high time that they relay the road...

Abhi
When I went there first time(even in 2nd and 3rd time) the road was good.But last 2/3 years it's in a horrible state and I hope they'll fix it soon.
You've been to Kodai recently ? The road is still in good condition ? I went aound 5 yrs back and that's also a beautiful place to be.But I somehow like Ooty,may be because it's nearer or may be because I've lots of fond memories of past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I usually skip such places as it is a pity that such magnificient animals are kept in hideous conditions.
Almost the same reason I don't like to see them caged
Old 5th October 2007, 10:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
You've been to Kodai recently ? The road is still in good condition ? I went aound 5 yrs back and that's also a beautiful place to be.But I somehow like Ooty,may be because it's nearer or may be because I've lots of fond memories of past.

Not recently but last September. here is the travelogue:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...l-madurai.html

Heard from a friend that the road from Vatalagundu to Kodai is fine even now. I can understand your sentiments about ooty, There is lot to explore ooty and nearby places, I myself have to cover them sometime in future, plus train ride to coonor is also pending from my side...

Abhi
Old 5th October 2007, 11:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, it's been a long time and I think I need to visit Kodai once again.Hope to do it soon.
BTW, my personal opinion is that the best time to go Hill stations like Ooty is during off-season time.The environment will be chilling cold and one can truely enjoy the beauty of the place without the mad rush during summer time.
Yeah the train ride is good, but don't miss the other comparatively untouched areas like Avalanche/Red hills and Kotagiri/Kodanadu etc.Those places are much more beautiful then Ooty itself cause they are not yet commercialized.So you can virtually have the whole place all yours without other tourists disturbing.
Old 5th October 2007, 20:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelog.I visited Ooty last week and enjoyed myself there.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:39   #20
BHPian

Great account and great pics as usual
Old 9th December 2007, 22:28   #21
BHPian

Nice description! keep it up Abhi Dada!
Will PM you upon reaching Bangalore later this month, wife & daughter have already landed there.
BTW, how many km is Bangalore-Ooty via this route?
Old 10th December 2007, 08:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Will PM you upon reaching Bangalore later this month, wife & daughter have already landed there.
Sure you can PM me anytime.

The distance is about 260-275km depending on from where in bangalore you start.

Abhi
Old 10th December 2007, 10:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Hi,

I did the drive two weeks back! Stayed at Monarch for a night. Started off in a bad note, as there was some riots and they blocked the NICE road from Kanakapura road. Had to take a detour via Bidadi and enter Mysore. The roads were excellent except for a small patch after Nanjungad. Masinagudi to Ooty drive was awesome with the view, fog and the roads. Watch out for the steep inclines and incoming vehicles. The only way to know about an incoming vehicle is through horns. So, honk merrily when you are near hair pin bends.

The distance is around 275 kms. I started at 10:30 at ooty, could reach Bangalore comfortably at 6:45, including a 90 minutes stop over at Mysore for lunch.

Have a good one.

Nainar
Old 2nd August 2008, 23:48   #24
BHPian

Did anyone try a Gas Vehicle in this route.If so, please share the experience since im planning to travel during the month of September.I own a Wagon R (Duo)
Old 3rd August 2008, 12:06   #25
BHPian

Another rocking travelogue......keep up the good work Sir!!!
Old 8th August 2008, 22:05   #26
BHPian

Great Pictures

Can feel how good u felt taking your parents on a long drive
Good pictures too!
Old 9th August 2008, 01:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

hee hee.. people suddenly commenting on an almost year old travelogue. :-) akroy seems to be ever popular !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks