Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2007, 10:54   #1
BHPian

8 States = 8 Days

Our 4000 Kms Rally through National Highways across States - AP, MH, MP, UP, RJ, GJ, MH, KA. This trip was one of my life's long ambition, something that I had nurtured in the last 10 years.

Click here for the pictures: 8 States = 8 Days | 8th Nov to 16 Nov 2007

And such journeys cannot happen without mental focus and a strong partnership. I must acknowledge - my wife who accompanied me all the way and acted as navigator, managed supplies and maninatined log books.

And to back it up was an inspiration. Inspiration from Mr. HV Kumar of Mumbai who does these trips in half the time we did in his black Scorpio SUV. Mr. Kumar knows important turns and crossing on NHs as if he as a video memory in his brain. At one point of time, our car was really looking odd on Mumbai streets (WB No. Plate) and a cop stopped us and we veered him off. Mr. Kumar guided us on Mobile Phone, all way outside Mumbai as if he as actually following us!

The Car performed so good, I must say. We went all the way upto 140 kmph without a vibration and the suspension took a lot of toll on MP Roads. The comfort in this car is better than taking a flight.

One of the scary stretches were through Madhya Pradesh at night, which falls in the North South Corridor of the NHDP. We did not encounter a single incident of shuttle braking or skidding.
Old 19th November 2007, 11:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Going by what Tirthankar went through, NH7 is awful after Adilabad towards Nagpur and the NH27 from Laknadon to Jhansi via Narasingpur, Sagar and Lalitpur is in a total mess, avoidable at day or night.
Old 19th November 2007, 11:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very nice photos - BTW one question - you did so much of distance in an Astra - What was the FE ????

Did it not cost you a bomb ? From what I hear, Astra's are really bad on FE. Is that true ?
Old 19th November 2007, 11:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow -thats a LOT of driving! nice pics..
Old 19th November 2007, 12:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Superb...man. Awesome pics. Did you drive in night also? Also, do give details about the FE during your trip. Would appereciate a detailed travelogue.
Old 19th November 2007, 15:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow that was a great travel. Could go down as the modern version of Gulliver's Travels
What was the FE like?
Also, accolades to your wife for being so supportive.
Old 19th November 2007, 15:58   #7
BHPian

Believe it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Very nice photos - BTW one question - you did so much of distance in an Astra - What was the FE ????

Did it not cost you a bomb ? From what I hear, Astra's are really bad on FE. Is that true ?
Believe it or not. FE was 16kmpl overall this time (was 18 on the Jaipur-Ajmer expressway) .Thata because of my driving style.... I dont rev engine above 2000 rpm on an average....and still manage 100kmph at near about 2000 rpm.

The second reason is that that car is designed for highway cruising. BTW my car has done 115000 kms and recently the head gasket gave away.

I get 5.5 to 7kmpl in Kolkata and Hyderabad City conditions with AC on all the times... even if my wife is shopping!
Old 19th November 2007, 16:02   #8
BHPian

Paced Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Superb...man. Awesome pics. Did you drive in night also? Also, do give details about the FE during your trip. Would appereciate a detailed travelogue.
In the 8 days, we stayed 3 days in Delhi, 1 Day in Mumbai and used to sleep at fuel stations for 4 hrs every 24 hrs.
Old 19th November 2007, 16:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wow Looks likea great trip Congrats dude

I am unable to view images on your Blog due to company Proxy :(

Btw can you list the routes you took? Please also post kms you travelled each day also mentioning the highways(HIghway Number) you drove on. I am really curious to know this as I too like touring
Old 19th November 2007, 18:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Account, Can you tell the route?

I am eager to run back home and see the pics (as pics doesnt open up in office)

Abhi
Old 19th November 2007, 18:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats like 1/3 states of India covered in about a week. Did you call in advance the limca book of records or guiness or the least of all, shabaaz India ( some programme on a channel i saw once). I am sure you would have gotten some mention.

Kudos to you, that surely will be a memorable trip for you for a long time!
Old 20th November 2007, 12:07   #12
BHPian

Speed Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Wow Looks likea great trip Congrats dude

I am unable to view images on your Blog due to company Proxy :(

Btw can you list the routes you took? Please also post kms you travelled each day also mentioning the highways(HIghway Number) you drove on. I am really curious to know this as I too like touring
Google Docs - Speed Sheet 8 States 8 Days 2007

<ifra me width='500' height='300' frameborder='0' src='http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pkpunYjpt7mC0lQMfuOE_dg&output=html&gid=0& single=true&range=a1:j22'></iframe>
Old 20th November 2007, 13:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the spreasheet. Thats some usefull information stored there
Old 20th November 2007, 15:46   #14
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue! Boy you're right about the Astra's comfort. Its really so comfortable, even more than a plane! Its built like a tank too.

I'm glad you did this without any troubles. Impressive FE figures too, Opel is known for the Autobahns and not for the city, YES.

How many people were in the car?

cya
A
Old 21st November 2007, 09:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Wonderful travelogue! Boy you're right about the Astra's comfort. Its really so comfortable, even more than a plane! Its built like a tank too.

I'm glad you did this without any troubles. Impressive FE figures too, Opel is known for the Autobahns and not for the city, YES.

How many people were in the car?

cya
A
Hey Im glad u understand what I mean. We were only husband and wife in the car. Its difficult to do such journeys alone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks