Team-BHP - Accident Yesterday, Road Trip Today
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Accident Yesterday, Road Trip Today (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/33635-accident-yesterday-road-trip-today.html)

Guys,

Yesterday evening, I was on my way to Koramangala. Had to follow this BMTC bus for a while. With a bus stop approaching and expecting the driver to pull over to the left, I inched my way to overtake him, when he decided to just stop in the middle of the road. No indicator, no brake light, nothing. Scraped the front left side of my car to the bus' rear right corner.
Serious scratches to my left front quater panel and left front door :Frustrati

Drove straight to the showroom and met Vinay, who called up someone in the Airport road service centre who asked me to bring the car over on Monday morning for repair estimate and decision on insurance claim. The car had clocked 590 kms.

Came home and over a glass of scotch, decided what to do:

1. The car will be gone for a week to 10 days for repairs - so no driving for the next few days.
2. Had promised the kids a long drive soon.
3. 1 st service due at 1000 kms.
4. My mentor and friend always used to tell me "Convert problems to oppurtunities"

Bingo!!!!

Decided to take the kids and go for a looooooong drive. Sivanasamudra - here we come

Started at 6.45 AM from home. ODO reading 598. More the merrier, so decided to take our 2 year old labrador, Bobby, along for the drive.
Decided to take Mysore road. After a smooth drive stopped for breakfast at Mysore Mylary hotel. After some tasty vada, not so tasy dosa and coffee hit the road again and took the diversion from Maddur to Sivanasamudra. Reached there at 10.30, but found Gagan Chukki pretty dry. Drove upto Bara Chukki, but the place was crowded and littered....

So drove back to a place we had passed earlier, where a dirt road leads to the river. The place was not as crowded, could park a few feet away from the water..clap: Parked the car in a coconut grove by the water and settled down for a leisurely afternoon. Two hours and frolicking in the water with my dog in tow, we had home made lunch, which we had packed in the morning.

The time was only 2.30. We had a choice of staying on till 4.00 PM or heading home. After some quick considerations, we hopped back in the car and started for home.

That is when this crazy thought came to my mind. Why not finish off the 1000 kms and turn the car in for servicing and repairs tomorrow? So, took the road to Mysore from Sivanasamudra. The road was great and terrible in turns - all the way to Mysore.

Reached Mysore at 4.30 PM and decided to just drive ahead back to Bangalore. So took the SH17 - 4 laned great road to Bangalore. After a stop for snacks and coffee at Indradhanush, headed back home and reached home at 8.30 PM.

In spite of the injury, the car did great. Superb road grip and zero tyre noise. Tested top speed and hit 145 on Speedo. Pickup is huglely lacking for highway drives with AC on though.

All in all been a memorable day. Will have to leave my Baby in the shop tomorrow morning...

Cheers,

Rajan.

PS: Will upload pics from work tomorrow. Connectivity speeds with this data card sucks...

Nice writeup. BTW what car do you drive ?

Patchboy, Good Spirits & way to go.

One advice though, the BMTC bus drivers have cement block for the head.:Frustrati
so its in our good interest that we follow those morons, till its 200% safe.

BTW be moderate with smileys (2 per post), or the mods will have the last smile:D

Great trip. Hope repairs wont dry your pockets. I think you should read https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ian-roads.html by Zappo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo
Never go too close to a truck, bus etc... They just turn without looking anywhere.

Mate, please be careful when driving besides or anywhere near any public transport!

But, can I ask, as to why were you driving so close to a bus? Dont you think that itself was an error from your side.

Please do post the pictures and what car do you drive?

Great Spirit Patchboy !!!!!!!! BTW which piece of machine you own?

He, has a 1.1 stile, remeber there was another tread about the delay in delivery of the car, looks like of the two palios that I know of delivered in December from Manipal motors both have met with accidents, my car is also in for repairs and first service. lol:

I was in a similar situation recently, though the damage has been less compared to yours. Traffic was heavy on that day, there was this three wheeler pick-up (what do you call it - the auto that carries goods in an open carrier) to my left. It was a frustrating stop-move-slow-stop-moveagain kind of traffic. At some point the vehicle in front of mine moved ahead and I was slow in moving mine; so some space was created in front of my car. The pick-up guy on my left immediately lunged forward to take that space ahead of me, turning right abruptly. I too had accelerated and could not slow down in time.

Result: a very bad, white, deep scratch on my left front panel (starting after the headlight and ending above the tyre). The traffic being what it was, I could not even stop the guy and take him to task ( in any case I find these things extremely difficult to do).

I am living with the scratch now. Will have to take it to the service station and get an estimate soon.

sometimes, I repeat sometimes, because of an impact some screws get loose, metal gets a lot of stress.
This translates to some mechanical failure like maybe a flat tire or something.

I would just like to warn anyone reading this post that you are not a mechanic. Have accident damage inspected by a good mechanic before driving.

oh man, you did 145 even before the first service...

Quote:

Originally Posted by govigov (Post 672250)

Not exatly a good thing to do! However, good that everything went well. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinaygv (Post 672203)
He, has a 1.1 stile, remeber there was another tread about the delay in delivery of the car, looks like of the two palios that I know of delivered in December from Manipal motors both have met with accidents, my car is also in for repairs and first service. lol:

hey its not just you 2 , i think almost every palio stile on tbhp has had some incident or the other :Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by govigov (Post 672250)

It is recommended in this forum and as well as the Fiat Service Engineer(at my A.S.C) not to revv more than 2500rpm before 2000Kms & not more than 3000rpm before 3000km for good performance later.

In terms of speed that translates into a max of 120 (on my palio 1.6 sport) which I'm maintaining.

For 1.1 though 140km seems a bit excessive IMHO.

Please do take care of the engine properly during the Run-in period.

cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottle (Post 672320)
hey its not just you 2 , i think almost every palio stile on tbhp has had some incident or the other :Shockked:

I guess, it has something to do with the skinny tires and the locking brakes, there was an article on Topgear January 2008 issue to that effect (about the brakes I mean).

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 672232)
sometimes, I repeat sometimes, because of an impact some screws get loose, metal gets a lot of stress.
This translates to some mechanical failure like maybe a flat tire or something.

I would just like to warn anyone reading this post that you are not a mechanic. Have accident damage inspected by a good mechanic before driving.

Thanks buddy. I did get the vehicle inspected, before deciding to go for the drive. Afterall I would not want to expose my kids to any risk, would I? If I have conveyed a wrong message, I apologize. Guys, ensure that your car is safe to drive after an accident

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 672268)
Not exatly a good thing to do! However, good that everything went well. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclectix 1st (Post 672321)
It is recommended in this forum and as well as the Fiat Service Engineer(at my A.S.C) not to revv more than 2500rpm before 2000Kms & not more than 3000rpm before 3000km for good performance later.

In terms of speed that translates into a max of 120 (on my palio 1.6 sport) which I'm maintaining.

For 1.1 though 140km seems a bit excessive IMHO.

Please do take care of the engine properly during the Run-in period.

cheers:

Sure thing. I just wanted to see the top speed, that's it. The rest of the trip I never crossed 100 kmph or 2500 rpm. It was just an irresitable stretch and I just had to do it. :D

@eclectix 1st : I thought I had used only 2 smilies and can see only two now. Apologies if I had used more. Will be careful from now on.

Cheers,

Rajan