Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 18:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romits View Post
Thanks Guys. Have uploaded the pics here:
Picasa Web Albums - Romit - Coimbatore Ba...

Nice fotos. The Thimbam - Kollegal road looks good. However roads in Karnataka seems to be a problem.

Actually what about the road that goes from Anthiyur in TN directly through dense forests towards Kollegal. You can see it clearly in mapmyIndia.com connecting Anthiyur and Kollegal. Anyone's done this road? I've seen the turning in Anthiyur but not knowing the road, decided against it.
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
How's the Bangalore-Mysore-Chamarajnagar-Sathyamangalam-Coimbatore route? I will be travelling to Munnar from Bangalore on 20th of Jan. I am considering this route. Is this doable in a Palio?
WHy do you want to do this route for Munnar? It will be long unnecessarily...Take the regular route...

Abhi
Old 2nd January 2008, 22:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
WHy do you want to do this route for Munnar? It will be long unnecessarily...Take the regular route...

Abhi
Which one is the regular route? Via Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri, Bhavani, Coimbatore?
Old 3rd January 2008, 09:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Mettur - Ammapettai -Anthiyur - Athani - Sathy - Coimbatore.

Sentil - Can you give more details about this route? Where exactly do you turn on the Mettur-Bhavani Stretch? After the dam? Before the dam? How many km's? Any landmark?
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Mettur - Ammapettai -Anthiyur - Athani - Sathy - Coimbatore.

Sentil - Can you give more details about this route? Where exactly do you turn on the Mettur-Bhavani Stretch? After the dam? Before the dam? How many km's? Any landmark?
Hi,
Around 15-20 kms from Mettur(AND AFTER MECHERI) it will be the only prominent right turn.From there on it is a straight route to sathy.Pls chk out directions.If you ask people for Coimabtore they will generally show you the Bhavani route hence ask for Sathy.
Old 24th September 2008, 20:10   #21

Thanks Guys! I made a trip last weekend to coimbatore in my alto lxi and was able to make it in a little more than 6 hours.

Here's the route for those who would like to reach coimbatore pretty fast with less traffic.

From Bangalore:
Bangalore-Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode-Thoppur-Mecheri-Mettur-Ammapet-Anthiyur-Athani-Sathyamangalam-Annur-Coimbatore.

This one is one awesome route! - Will write about it in detail soon.
Old 24th September 2008, 22:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

You can also take the alternate route: Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharampuri-Mettur-Bhavani-Coimbatore. Thsi road is also good. Half of the distance you travel in NH and another half in TN SH. The SH in TN are good to drive and has 2 lanes.
Old 26th September 2008, 14:27   #23
BHPian

How is the traffic near the dreaded kaveripattinam funnel? Once got caught for about 20+ minutes there. Just for that reason, I tend to take the Royacottah/Palacode route.
Old 26th September 2008, 14:40   #24
BHPian

Hi guys, how's the following stretch now ?

NH46 - Krishnagiri
NH7 - Kaveripatnam
NH7 - Dharmapuri
NH7 - Thoppur
NH7 - Salem bypass
NH47 - Kumarapalayam
NH47 - Bypass Erode
NH47 - Avinashi
NH47 - CBE

The last time I used this stretch was in May this year & serious 4-laning work was going on on the Dharmapuri to Salem stretch (with an expected completion date of Dec 08).

VidukaMark - Could you provide some details of this stretch:
Thoppur - Mecheri - Mettur - Ammapet - Anthiyur - Athani - Sathyamangalam - Annur - Coimbatore ?
Old 30th September 2008, 11:38   #25

im_Srini: here you go, been wanting to pen this down for some time.

From Bangalore:
Bangalore-Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode-Thoppur-Mecheri-Mettur-Ammapet-Anthiyur-Athani-Sathyamangalam-Annur-Coimbatore.

This one is one awesome route! - Will write about it in detail soon.
Bangalore to Hosur: Well, you know it. Cross E-City and then it's kinda smooth sailing.

Hosur-Rayakottai: Just outside Hosur you should see a huge signboard mentioning 'Rayakottai' (along with a few others) to the right. SKIP this. You should soon come to an intersectionn which has a right curving back in the direction of Banglore. Take this. This will join the earlier road but is a bit better and must be longer only in metres. Continue on this and you should soon hit a small town-Rayakottai. Stop and have a cup of tea

Rayakottai-Palacode-Thoppur: The roads are more or less good except for the stretch between Palacode-thoppur, which has occasional single lanes (but believe me, you can still do an 80 easily). Keep going straight on this road, you will keep seeing frequent 'rights' for Hogennekal - take one if you wanna go there, if not keep you foot on the accelerator. The last stretch is a winding race track through the hills but Watch out for slow and ultra slow trucks in your lane. You get lotsa coconut verdors by the side of the road - for thirsty souls!

Thoppur-Mecheri-Mettur: Once you cross the 'ghats' you should see a road snaking out to the right. (There was an old broken yellow school bus on the other side of the road- it might still be there ) Take this right and it should take you to Mecheri - another sleepy town. This drive has a few palm trees (I think) for some time. Continue on the same road after Mecheri, there should be roads on either side but do not take any of those. After the bus-stand, there will be a small fork on the road, take left and continue.

Mettur-Ammapet-Anthiyur: Once you enter mettur- the JSW factory on the left shows you are on the right track- and continue on the same road. Soon you should cross the town and then will come to junction where the road continues straigh (to the stanley reservoir) and has a left as well. Take either the left or the stanley reservoir road. I take the left as that is better and more faster. Assuming you took the left as well, keep going down and will cross the thermal power plant on the left - You should see the 'twin towers' - and cross two bridges. After the second bridge you should reach a 'T' on the road, take the left. This should take you to Ammapet soon. Ammapet will be quite a big junction with the straight road going to Bhavani. Take the right here. This stretch is nice as it snakes through paddy and sugarcane fields. At the Anthiyur Junction (after the bust stand), take the huge left (near the police chicane); from which it should be smooth sailing.

Anthiyur-Athani-Sathy: From Anthiyur (you can probably have another cup of tea!) follow the same road and it should be pretty straight forward to get to Sathy. You will cross Athani on the way and then finally will reach Sathy - which is quite a town.

Sathy-Annur-Coimbatore: The final stretch from Sathy is a buckle up and zoom section! It's 'Monza' with dangerous curves and a few really stupid drivers! The road is awesome but with amazing straights, sweeping lefts and rights, Z, N, S, (you name it) curves. Be vary as certain curves do not have proper banking. Soon you should cross the chequered flag at Annur and then continue by talking the left (the right takes you to mettupayalam). Continue on the same Highway and should reach Coimbatore in around 35 kms.

Happy Driving!!!

Will get the KM count soon. can't figure out where I kept my 'trip sheet!
Old 30th September 2008, 13:03   #26
gpa
Senior - BHPian

State Highways in TN are good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
You can also take the alternate route: Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharampuri-Mettur-Bhavani-Coimbatore. Thsi road is also good. Half of the distance you travel in NH and another half in TN SH. The SH in TN are good to drive and has 2 lanes.
Yes, The state highways (SH) of Tamil Nadu are excellent. Super smooth roads and just tiny bad stretches. On my return trip to Bangalore from Trivandrum, I ventured onto the SH and cut my travel time by a neat 4 hours when compared to using only the National Highways on my onward journey.

Use the SH in the mid afternoons (1.30 to 4.00 pm) when traffic is thin and there are few people on the road. As it is a two lane road, my speed hovered between 80-110 KMPH.

Cheers,

gpa
Old 30th September 2008, 13:10   #27

As gpa pointed out about SH's, I prefer the SH instead of the NH's in TN. The roads are good and the traffic is less. The only problem is you have happy villagers crossing the roads happily with a load on their head or a goat with a leash
Old 30th September 2008, 13:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

I'm doing this route tomorrow morning. However the deviation would be Ammapet - Andiyur - Athani - Gobi - Nambiyur - Annur - Coimbatore or Nambiyur - Puliyampatti - Coimbatore.

The Athani - Gobi route is awesome to say the least. Plan to take some fotos on the way.

Return I might do Mettur - Mechari - Pennagaram - Palacode - Rayakottai - Hosur. The stretch between Mechari and Pennagaram is beautiful. It passes through a beautiful valley. You have to drive down into the valley and then back up it to reach Pennagaram. This is if you want to enjoy the drive and not worry about the time factor.

Anyone staying on Indiranagar - HAL - Whitefield side should take the Marthahalli - Varthur - Sarjapur road as it has very less traffic and you dont' have to wade through Koramangala, Madivala and EC.
Old 30th September 2008, 23:18   #29
BHPian

Me too. But for me time IS a factor. So, will be taking Mettur - Bhavani - Coimbatore. Hope, for time factor, this route is apt.
Old 1st October 2008, 13:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Me too. But for me time IS a factor. So, will be taking Mettur - Bhavani - Coimbatore. Hope, for time factor, this route is apt.
yes you can drive peacefully on this road and can save time and the tension of driving through the nasty Erode-Salem NH

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks