Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2008, 14:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the correction.

Since you read the news you can correct this Wiki which in turn refers to savethetigerfund.org(news link not working) for the only available source I could find on this incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
Yes you got the wrong picture, it was in the safari van that this happened without mesh and the old man waved his grand child to the tiger and the tiger thought it was food and just took the child away.

This was big news here in Bangalore and was in all the papers possible.. just a couple of days before this incident could happen as youngsters me, parents and family members were on the safari and I think it was just 2 days before this incident happened.

We were on a safari van and the drive shaft broke and the whole van was booked for our family and nearly 25 of us were in the van. We waited for another van to come and then we got down from the broken down van and moved to the other one and it was such a scary sight to see lions and tigers just about a 100 ft away as we walked to the next van. And all that those guards had were large bamboo sticks in their hands.

Oh man I just cannot forget that incident! And the sad news broke out about the girl after a couple of days and we all were scared like mad and though what if it was one of us.
Old 7th January 2008, 15:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Wiki article. Totally false. Gives a bad impression about Wikipedia.
Old 7th January 2008, 17:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
OT: did you not check with them if you can take your 2.2 inside for the safari. it is very much part of the family, isnt it, and this is a family trip, wasn't it??? :-)
Otherwise it would have been a safari in a safari

Nice report dadu!
Old 7th January 2008, 20:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Saw the Wiki article. Totally false. Gives a bad impression about Wikipedia.
Off Topic

There's nothing bad about Wikipedia there. Its not officially written by Wikipedia. Anyone can post it there. Anyone's welcome to correct it. All you need is a login id with them. The greatness of Wikipedia is that common people can contribute/edit/review/flag topics there. And its free. :-)
Old 8th January 2008, 23:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Off Topic

There's nothing bad about Wikipedia there. Its not officially written by Wikipedia. Anyone can post it there. Anyone's welcome to correct it. All you need is a login id with them. The greatness of Wikipedia is that common people can contribute/edit/review/flag topics there. And its free. :-)
And that is the beauty of wiki. Uncommon articles like this will have lesser people reading/editing them, so they cannot be taken at face value & spoken about.
Old 11th January 2008, 22:42   #21
BHPian

I am visiting the Zoo tommorow , plan to click the day away.. I will try for the Zoo safari though
Old 13th January 2008, 13:07   #22
BHPian

Snaps

Took a few snaps during my visit Yesterday,

Pythons

Birds

Iguana

Hornbill, poor thing was locked in a small cage, for such a big bird!

Last edited by redrage : 13th January 2008 at 13:22.
Old 13th January 2008, 13:22   #23
BHPian

More Pics

Night Heron

Elephant

Leopord

Turtles

I dint take the Zoo Safari though, Guys who have taken it, Can we take good snaps sitting the van?
Old 14th January 2008, 10:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Very nice pictures, thanks for adding, how did you manage to evade the mesh in your pictures ?? perhaps your lens is small enough to peep in
Old 14th January 2008, 12:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Very nice pictures, thanks for adding, how did you manage to evade the mesh in your pictures ?? perhaps your lens is small enough to peep in
Thank you, The mesh was quite evident in some of the snaps i took. But when i zoomed in the focus was on the reptiles/birds so the mesh was blurred. The lens of an IS3 is quite big, couldnt pass it through the mesh !
Old 14th January 2008, 13:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

The Girl getting snatched from the grandfather is what we were told as well...

a friend of mine and I went to baannerghatta zoo in 2002. Lovely ride. we stopped at a couple of places, on the way - outside the zoo, and were just walking around. we then took the bike and started riding towards a sign that said "Lion Safari --> " (I think it said lion and bear or just lion, not too sure... age catching up!!)
So happily we travelled in that direction. No one stopped us. We thought that the safari would start at some place.
about a KM or so down the road, we crossed a drop gate and further on there were some masons working, and they stopped us and asked us asto where we were going.. so we said safari, took out the camera and in very bad sign language said shoot lion & bear. then some forest official came out and said that you need to take the safari in the van and not on the bike... man, we turned around and RAN!!!

Then we took the bike and went up some road, that took us to a watch tower. The road was pretty steep, that we had to get off and only one person could ride... here we were formulating a plan - if any animal comes, revv the bike, jump off and run in opposite directions... this is because we saw signs "Beware of elephants"

We spent about an hour on top of the tower... from there we saw the green van going into the safari... WOW... funny thing was there was just a wall to demarkate the reserve.

When we left bannerghatta, my friend was insistent that he take me to this water fall near there, and said i know the place man, dont worry... those were the golden words - if he ever said dont worry- one needs to panic, and panic BIG time. This is with experience that he actually got a native bangalorian cab driver lost while claiming to know of a short-cut to office - thats anyway a different story. So we set off.. i told him, condifition is - if we go into reserve, we head back. I was low on gas, and neither of us had
more than 100bucks in our wallets. so we set off.
slowly scenery changes, sign boards change, finally.. registration numbers on vehicles change.. but no sign of water falls... by now I am Starving!
so i tell him .. dude.. move, im heading back.. we continue.. and finally hit the main road- which read "hosur 15kms, Bangalore45kms" god.. i cursed that felllow to no end! This was before the GQ came up.
Old 14th January 2008, 13:56   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Aaah you missed the butterfly park? Thats the latest addition and honestly it is really good. Atleast the way its done.
True - the butterfly park is worth seeing. It's theme is similar to the butterfly park at Niagara falls (Canada), although the butterfly density is significantly less at BG national park.

Last edited by sreenidhibr : 14th January 2008 at 13:59. Reason: clarify
Old 14th January 2008, 16:43   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pictures. This reminds me that i should also visit sometime soon the famous Nehru Zoological park of Hyderabad which is supposed to be one of the finest in the entire country.
Old 14th January 2008, 17:05   #29
BHPian

The entry for the butterfly park must be further down the Zoo right? Because i dint see any board properly. Damn i missed it

Last edited by redrage : 14th January 2008 at 17:06. Reason: emoticon
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:43   #30
BHPian

how to reach Bannerghatta National Park

Sorry to reviving an old thread.

I'm planning to take my family to Bannerghatta National Park sometime this or next week-end. Can somebody help me on below:

which route to take to reach this park from Hosur? (By car and public transport)
Is Lion/Tiger/Bear safari available on Saturday?
any other interesting info that i need to know!

Thanks
Loys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks