Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 19:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Incredible.... Hats off!
Old 5th February 2008, 21:53   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Imagine a flat land with firm surface stretching to the horizon in every direction. Flat means flat as a billiard table and firm mean you can press the pedal to the floor if you can come up with guts to do it.

We drove across this lake bed - dry salt lake (like the world famous Salt plain of Utah) - in our own back ground near Jaisalmer. Check this picture below and also look in the mirror. Clear view horizon to horizon.

The distance across was 18 kilometers straight as an arrow. In the width it was 15 kilometers. I could reach 140kmph driving across this lake bed during dry season in the GV last month. Of course it is also part of Desert Storm route.

Last we crossed this was during monsoons last year when the lake surface was just slush and we were acting as local "guides". That time we crossed it with the Petronas Overland X'pedition and it was such fun to see the monster vehicles slither and struggle across the surface. They are not going here and here on purpose but the surface was so slippery that a little extra steering and you would be facing backwards!

See the dug up tracks left by them

Even standing on the surface without support was impossible in places.

GV looking grand while negotiating the same lake but turning back to avoid a heavy patch of slush where another vehicle was stuck. Of course they did job of clicking us while waiting for tractor to pull them out.

A bunch of wild camels were grazing and we decided to race them.....

Looking Grand ;-)

Fond memories of that and this trip.
Old 6th February 2008, 12:41   #33
BHPian

Way to go Senior !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Thanks for appreciation. Just an aside this was miles from any tarmac/grit track in all directions.

If turning 50 is so much fun,....I cant wait !
I just turned 30,..and became a dad ! It seems like the end of the world, when it comes to its CAREFREE ways !!!

After viewing this post and Pass with caution! you give blokes like me hope that there is a tomorow, where (to steal a line from an ad) you can indeed Reclaim your life !!!!
Old 6th February 2008, 12:49   #34
Team-BHP Support

Off-topic, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://blog.sudev.in
At fifty you can not run. I mean you want to but you can not.
My boss runs 8Kms in 45 minutes, he does it everyday. He turned 55 last month. Therefore, don't let age stop you from running.
Old 6th February 2008, 12:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I just turned 30,..and became a dad ! It seems like the end of the world, when it comes to its CAREFREE ways !!!
OT:

Heh-heh, welcome to the world of responsibilities mate.

But don't worry, you always have a second chance, once the kids are in college or beyond - that's when you look forward to reclaiming your life!
Old 6th February 2008, 14:39   #36
BHPian

Thanks Suman,...I have lots to learn !!
Taking baby steps myself into fatherhood & beyond !!

Hats off to ya'll fathers out there who have stood their ground,..chewed it up and spit it out,...and lived to talk about it,..!!
Old 6th February 2008, 15:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Some incredible pics.
Hats off to u sir. Keep posting. Would love to see and read more about your adventures.
Old 15th February 2008, 14:17   #38
BHPian

Hoi Sudev.. just thought id jump in and share some fun with my vitara as well... he he

thats one i had a year or so ago.. and thats on the beach .. i gave this one a 3" body lift and stuck some 10.5R 15's on it... its like a camel in the sand.. and just to prove my point... all the friends in there other 4x4.. got stuck so here i am dragging all the big expensive boys with my 1.6 Carby Vitara... nice
Old 16th February 2008, 09:49   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Kuul View Post
.. and just to prove my point... all the friends in there other 4x4.. got stuck so here i am dragging all the big expensive boys with my 1.6 Carby Vitara...
What a fun! Yep sand driving is not a much about power as clearance and style...and you got enough of both ;-)

Post more fun. That is what this thread is all about.
Old 18th February 2008, 13:39   #40

These are some stunning views (and not just of the Suzuki).
We have some beautiful countryside but nothing as grand (or wild) as this.

Good to see you enjoying the rides.

Bernard
(UK)
Old 18th February 2008, 15:32   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Sambhar Lake and Dunes

Few views of Sambhar lake bed here. This is during the final road recce for desert Storm during the first week end of February. In three days the odometer recorded 3100 kilometers. No wonder people in office were wondering why I was so tired on Monday

Just resting a while and finishing a meager lunch of bhujia and water before driving across. See the track leading off to left in front of the GV? That is where we went off first and drove straight for 14 kilometers and then took a right and touched the hill on horizon just in front of the GV and then tracked back to start. Each leg of the triangle was ~15K !!

Most of the tracks here are made by jeeps crossing towards the hill in the background which has a temple dedicated to Shakhabri Mata. The whole region is prospers due to salt making by evaporating water pumped out form the ground.

The next two pictures are from areas near Jaiselmer. The temratures were touching 1 degree even though sun was up and out at 0740hrs. The desert here is of different character and is more pebbly. Going at a speed you brake and find the car being carried forward as if on bed of ball bearings.

Crossing sandy tracks and climbing dunes is very interesting. Unfortunately I could not get one shot of GV when crossing a dune of about 150feet plus height. Judge from camels in foreground.

The only time I pushed in to 4Wlock-low and just let the engine do the work in first gear. This is a picture at top of dune. Sand drift make and change the road alingment virtually overnight. Spilling tons of sand across the path.

Boy did we have some fun. It will be desert pictures for next one month and then I am planning to head to Corbett around April/May.

Last picture for now
Old 19th February 2008, 16:21   #42
BHPian

JAI HO!! Sudev ji !!

Awsome pics!! I wish if I were there with you in your GV to experience that ride. Keep posting more pics. love to see them.
Old 19th February 2008, 23:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

pure adrenaline buddie,very nice explanation-mostly done by the pictures and so less typing.very nice.people would be educated on what the GV is capable of.
ram
Old 19th February 2008, 23:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
OT:

Heh-heh, welcome to the world of responsibilities mate.

But don't worry, you always have a second chance, once the kids are in college or beyond - that's when you look forward to reclaiming your life!
did u wait that long for the safari ?!!
Old 19th February 2008, 23:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

truly a showcase of the talents of the GV and of course your rich experience in travelling uncleji..

keep the photos coming and please post more of your adventures in travelogues...

amazing mileage in 6 months !! i havent done that much even in 3 years !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks