Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2008, 07:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places

Now that I have been driving the Grand Vitara doing route surveys became a joy instead of a chore. Yes in less than six months the odo reading has just crept past 30000 mark as each extended weekend trip from Delhi to Jaisalmer and back would notch up another 3000 kilometers. Add to that my usual running around of 2000+ per month.

Crossing a dry lake bed

The car handled all terrains - sandy rocky slushy superbly.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd February 2008 at 22:19. Reason: removed quote
Old 16th January 2008, 15:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

hi
thats cool, please show us more pics
Old 16th January 2008, 23:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay so little bit of sand is no sweat but look at the sand drifts that were not there last time we passed by...

Going up..

Going down...

Was this what we crossed....?

The car was equally at ease in the hilly terrains when we went out for the Raid-de-Himalaya. I will post pictures from that trip next.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th January 2008 at 23:21. Reason: Please check how to post photographs in the announcement section
Old 19th January 2008, 16:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice sudev, but please post larger images and not thumbnails which are not working.
Old 31st January 2008, 18:29   #5
GRV
BHPian

Great Grand Vitara

Hi

Nice to know that there is such an enthusiast with GV in my neighbourhood ( I live in Gurgaon). Waiting for your Hilly photograph. Would like to learn few tips and tricks from you for off roading

GRV
Old 2nd February 2008, 15:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

After crossing Zozi La towards Sonamarg the sight of greenery and water gurgling every where. After covering 2000 kms from Delhi here we were resting a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Nice to know that there is such an enthusiast with GV in my neighbourhood ( I live in Gurgaon). Waiting for your Hilly photograph. Would like to learn few tips and tricks from you for off roading
Hi GRV,
Good to hear from you. I have posted some more pictures from my Leh trip in the GV. What off-road / long trips you have done?

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd February 2008 at 22:09. Reason: fixing images
Old 2nd February 2008, 16:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Up and down high passes with snow and sleet raining down.

On top of Tanglang La at 18000+ up and down this small path to temple leaves you brethless and dizzy.

Doing duty on the Raid-De-Himalaya at the first control outside Shimla.

Lovely picture of approach to Leh. Roads are super and kept up with love and care by Border Roads Organisation.

Mountains and mountains. Up and down passes is what the whole journey from Delhi to Manali to Leh to Srinagar and Back.

Approching Zozi La from Drass, the coldest inhabited place in India (and second coldest across the world). Lowest recorded was in excess of -60 degrees!

Army is deployed all along LOC. The road from Leh to Srinagar runs in shadow of Kargil war and all place names made famous by news of that time are there to see.

Source of river Jhelum at Verinag. Surrounded by blooming flowers and ancient tall Chinar trees, only found in Kashmir valley.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd February 2008 at 22:14. Reason: fixed images
Old 2nd February 2008, 17:52   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Approaching the sand drift while driving through the dunes. Already passed through maze of dunes seen in the background.

Climbing up the drift. Almost ten~twelve feet high. Approached it with a little speed in 4H lock.

Over the top and feeling happy.

Going slowly down on the other side which was less steep.

This is what we crossed. Imagine the height from camera angle. I am 5'7" and still had to point the camera upwards.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd February 2008 at 22:17. Reason: fixed image links
Old 2nd February 2008, 23:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

sudev - Fantastic pics and you are using your SUV the way its supposed to be used, well done
Old 3rd February 2008, 05:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

MODS:
Please at least now change the thread heading. As I said earlier I am not posting about Desert Storm here. That is another thread. I will post more about my trips with GV and also expect others to post.
Old 3rd February 2008, 05:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
sudev - Fantastic pics and you are using your SUV the way its supposed to be used, well done
Thanks for appreciation. Just an aside this was miles from any tarmac/grit track in all directions.
Old 3rd February 2008, 21:01   #12
BHPian

Wow! That much commute on a GV? Beautiful locations for taking your GV. Is the GV an auto tranny?

On the other hand, Aren't the fuel costs too high??

cya
A
Old 3rd February 2008, 21:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

You took part in the 08 Raid De Himalya?

Do tell us more about your experience and maybe a travelogue too. Im sure it would make a really interesting read.

EDIT - Went through your blog and I realize that you were an official. Im sure your experiences would be just as interesting though (if not more)

Last edited by khanak : 3rd February 2008 at 21:24.
Old 3rd February 2008, 22:13   #14
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sudev, I remember meeting you during the Rally School in Noida and also in the Autocross 07! its great to see you on team-bhp. And those are some fantastic pictures you've posted.
Old 4th February 2008, 00:40   #15
Team-BHP Support

Sudev, as a GV owner myself, it is good to see it being driven in exotic and challenging locations.

Actually it is very simple to display the images from your hosting site. Just enclose the full address of your image file as follows. Make sure the image width is within 800pixels.

[img]http://www.hostingsite.com/images/abc.jpg[/img]

Most Viewed