Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 16:31   #1
BHPian

BLR-HYD-BLR-CHENNAI-BLR - Road conditions report

Guys,

Drove from Bangalore to Hyderabad and back, then to Chennai and back the next day. This is not really a trip log, as the travel was unplanned (read no photos ) and to attend to minor family crisises. But thought I can share the road conditions with fellow BHPians.

Started from B'lore at 5.30 AM on 31st Jan. Reached Yelahanka by 6.15. Pulled over at the IO petrol pump to fill up, where the attendant tried to pull the Rs.200 stunt on me. I asked him to take the nozzle out, when he said, " But Sir, I have not put any petrol at all". I said "Exactly" and left the place. Did not pay anything.

The road beyond Devanhalli is really pathetic. Four laning work is in progress and the existing 2 lanes are almost unusable. After Doddaballapur, it improve slightly, but anything over 80 KMPH is suicidal.

Crossed into AP and the roads steadily improved. After Penukonda, it was a relief. Great roads and I was able to make up for lost time. Reached Anathapur at 9.30 AM. Filled up and also had breakfast. No hotels on the Highway and had to enter into the town. Left there by 10.15 AM. The road continued to be great all the way to Kurnool, with a few minor bad stretches near Gooty.

Beware of the fruit vendors near the Railway gates. They take advantage of the speedbreakers and almost make you stop by coming in the way.

Reached Kurnool by 12.15 PM. After a quick lunch braek of 30 mins, started the last leg. The roads are not very bad, but you encounter a diversion every 2 kms, which is very annoying. Overall I had a good run all the way to Shamshabad from where I took the ring road to reach home near Madhapur at 4 PM.

Started the next day morning at 7 AM and was back home in Bangalore by 8 PM.

The very next day, picked up my brother near Brigade Road at 11 AM and headed to Chennai. He suggested we take the Kolar route (Old Madras Road). The road is excellent, albeit 2 lane undivided, and there was hardly any traffic. Stopped for coffee at woodys in Kolar and then for Lunch at Ranipet. Then joined GQ at Ranipet and the drive was silky smooth all the way to the outskirts of Chennai. Traffic and roads were horrible once we entered Chennai. The last stretch of 10 kms inside Chennai took 45 mins and we were in Appolo First Med hospitals in Poonamalle High Road by 5.45 PM.

Started the next day at 5 PM from Chennai and decided to take the Krishnagiri-Hosur route. Dream drive all the way through to Bangalore and we were outside Electronics City gates in Bangalore at 9.15 PM. Dropped off my brother near Indira Nagar and head home to Kumaraswamy layout.

Cheers,
Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2008, 16:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice account. Hope everything is OK now at your family side.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Pulled over at the IO petrol pump to fill up, where the attendant tried to pull the Rs.200 stunt on me. I asked him to take the nozzle out, when he said, " But Sir, I have not put any petrol at all". I said "Exactly" and left the place. Did not pay anything.
Rajan,

What is this Rs 200 stunt?
Old 5th February 2008, 16:48   #4
BHPian

@snaronikar - Thanks. Everything is fine.

@hvkumar - see this post..
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/677337-post124.html

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 5th February 2008, 19:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats very good report it would help many.

Thank you,

Ravi.
Old 17th March 2008, 18:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

When will Karnataka Roads improve

Did Blr-Hyd-Blr over the weekend, and things havent changed much.

After Chikballapur, the roads start to worsen. Gravel and mud piled up for the new road without any side road being developed. You have to crawl at 20kph to cross these stretches. This is about 20kms stretch = Avoid at night.

This continues upto the border where the four lane work is done, and road surface is very good, although only 2 lanes are functional.

Penukonda to Anathapur, the road surface is just about ok. You can do 80-100kph in stretches.

After Ananthapur the roads are pretty good, even though 4 laning is going on.

Kurnool onwards there are diversions every 3 to 10kms. the road surface is pretty good, and you can safely do high speeds. Watch out for traffic though, as only 2 lanes are funtional.

Expect the road works to be over by early 2009 ?
Old 6th July 2008, 00:40   #7
BHPian

BLR-Hyd NH7 experience

Just did the blr-hyd-blr drive without prior planning in my Swift Vxi last week (had my grand old grandpa-92yrs along with!), thought I'd add my experience on the drive:
  • Moved out of Devanhalli around 3 pm (BAD idea...coz i ended up driving late into the night). Tanked up with regular petrol at the BP just before the airport. Friendly service, awesome gas. Cheaper than city. Managed mileage of 17 for first 250 kms!
  • Karnataka part 4-laning is far from done. Plenty of diversions, rail-crossings, craters, patches with no tarmac and massive sudden changes in road elevation so you get those awful thuds and plenty of unmarked speed breakers. Be careful!
  • Things are much better towards AP after 175 km mark. Just before Gooty there is a brand new huge BP Company owned filling station on the right. Good place to fill-up and get a break.
  • Look for the Iskon temple on your right on outskirts of Anantpur, it looks brilliant at night
  • At Kurnool there used to be a IOC motel which has shut down. Good alt is Chalapathy dhaba about 2 km before on the left
  • Rest of the highway upto Hyd is also 2 laned but road conditions are significantly better, though watch out for Bus drivers playing chicken and forcing you to a grinding halt from 100kmph for the sake of self preservation
  • Note: Do NOT drive on this highway at night. It is extremely dangerous. Certain areas are not safe after sundown. Also, the 200+ km from Kurnool to Hyd is almost devoid of civilization at night, a break-down could cause major hassles
  • From home in Blr to home in Hyd took 12 hrs. Could have done it in 10 if it was thru the day and/or in a more powerful car
  • Buckle-up, drive safe and enjoy the scenery. Some stretches are breath taking!
Old 6th July 2008, 11:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hai Patchboy, Memphis,

I did the stretch on June 14th, in day time, the trip log is here:

http://www.arkzsol.com/Abad-clt-hyd-%20aur-%20jun08.htm

Took about 12 hours from Silk board to Hyderabad; had lots of rain which slowed me down plenty. I think in day time it would be possible to do it under under 10 hours on a clear day.

I too found the switch-backs, humps very distressing, the 2/3 railway crossings in which I got caught also adds to the problems, the road work, people crossing the road etc., are all frustrating.

Best to avoid @ night.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 6th July 2008 at 11:39.
Old 6th July 2008, 17:05   #9
BANNED

I saw a huge BP bunk coming up (along with the restaurant just as near Krishnagiri) somewhere near the KA - AP border. Don't remember whether it was closer to Bagepalli or Kodikonda. Did you manage to see the status of this?

Most Viewed