Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 15:06   #1
BHPian

Visit to Coorg in 9-10 Feb 2008

Bear with me for this long writeup

Bangalore-Srirangpatna-Hunsur-Kushal Nagar-Kaveri Nisarga Dhama-Madikeri-Abbe Falls-Talacauvery-Kings Cottage-Chalavara Falls-Chomkund Hill-Virajpet-Hunsur-Srirangpatna-Bangalore

Total kms = 750
Fuel Required = 52 lts
Fuel Efficiency = ( 750/52) = 14.5 kmpl
Vehicle = FIAT Palio 1.6 Sports
Members = Wifey, Daughter and myself

Day 1: Got up at 4:00 AM, after having bath and filling up the boot with necessary items, started from at 4:30 AM, and touched the Mysore road through ORR (Hebbal-Kengeri). With speed steadily above 100, reached Mandya and I forgot to take a right turn after SrirangPatna to reach Hunsur and took Mysore RR. Got down at Just after Hunsur to have Break fast and then proceeded to Kushal Nagar. Visited Golden Temple, did shopping and then proceeded to Kaveri Nisargadhama. After spending an hour or two (Not much to see and also getting bored to see dried grass and leaves), proceeded to Madikeri. You can sorry state of the Nisargadhama (courtsy illmannered people who does not show respect for what it is.. )

There at Hotel Athithi had lunch, with Gobi Manchuri (I liked it most). Before we left from Madikeri, we had been to Raja Seat and saw the scenery. Unfortunately, only cloudy and mist is seen over the place, hence couldn’t get a view which I was wanted to. After that, went to Abbe Falls near Madikeri. Water was flowing more than that of Chalavara falls.

Then proceeded to Tala Cauvery, took blessings of Kaveramma and headed back to Kakkabbe, to stay in Kings Cottage. While returning from Talacauvery and after Bhagmandala, met with an accident, where there was no fault of mine. I was steadily doing around 40 kmph, and suddenly say 3 cows jumping from a house and running and came in front of my car. DADDD.. frontal crash. Fortunately, everyone was wearing the seat-belt and also no damage to the cows. When I got down to see what happened to my car, alas.. A dent over bonnet, left fender left fuming me.
Then just went to Kings Cottage (Mr Viju was courteous to guide us and even he was waiting for us after Kakkabbe to pick us). Freshened up in Kings Cottage and had dinner to have nice sleep.

Day 2: Got up around 6:30 AM to see the surroundings and scenery at Kings Cottage, only mist..mist greeted us. During the course of the day, wifey and daughter enjoyed the breakfast, and me too and also the coffe seeds. Especially daughter was enjoying that stay.

View from Kings Cottage:

One more from Kings Cottage:

Left Kings Cottage to see Chalavara Falls. To some what disappointed, as water was not there much as expected (May be it is wrong time to visit). Then went onto till Kabbe Holidays.

Chalavara Falls

From Kabbe Holidays, till half a kms, broken road with stones every where, took palio to safe parking after wards and then proceeded to Chomkund hill. As NIP said in his posts, one need a capable 4x4 to reach the top. We walked around a km to reach top to have the view. It was a nice view and a cool breeze made me to sleep there for some time. When we were on top of Chomkund, my mobile caught network from Airtel Kerala. Certainly, after this Chomkund, the kerala border starts I guess. When returning, we met with some people who are traveling to Kerala for some religious purposes through this route. It takes 2 days for them to reach that place it seems.

Chomkund Hilltop

After visiting Chomkund hilltop, got back to car and drove very carefully on those rock stones (only 1st gear, more than 45 degree of inclination). Then to Kings Cottage where, lunch was awaiting for us. Finished the lunch, bought a kg of Honey and a person Thangu told us how to identify genuine Honey. Left Kings Cottage at 3:00 PM to reach Bangalore at 10:30 PM after having a evening snack at Kamat’s Lokruchi.

It was a nice time we had through out the journey, and saw lot of places which we thought we would not see. Though we missed some of the places in Madikeri, I thought lets come back in season (September), just when rains are over and head straight to Kings Cottage or Kabbe Holidays and spend some few days to reclaim the life.

Some of the things to note:
After Mandya, on SH17 (Bangalore Mysore highway), there are at least 3 humps for which no sign boards are present in advance. And I jumped all these 3 humps and total around 5 humps when driving more than 70kmph. Thank god nothing had happened to Car and to us, and planning to take car to alignment (which was long pending).

The driving in ghat is very enjoying and thrilling. Lot of right and left curves.. oh my god I was just spinning the steering wheel every where in the Madikeri, Virajpet and also on the way to Talacauvery. Daughter always tells me "skoly hogu".. her version to go slow.

Coorg is very good place than Ooty to visit for, this is what we felt (We had been to Ooty around 6 months back). I really don’t know why every one die for ooty, which is just a concrete jungle for their honeymoon, rather go to Coorg and stay just beneath the Chalavara Falls and enjoy.

At the last, the humble guy who took lot of abuse..

Last edited by Samurai : 26th February 2008 at 00:16. Reason: you can expand pics upto 800x
mahadev_kc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2008, 23:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up. You covered many places in just two days.
Old 26th February 2008, 09:50   #3
BHPian

Thanks PatienceWins.. Yep, we ourselves surprised to see lot of places on the first day itself.
Old 26th February 2008, 09:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Great place to visit, nice pics and an even nicer car !!
Old 26th February 2008, 10:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good short writeup and picts, how much did you pay for KC stay.
Old 26th February 2008, 11:20   #6
BHPian

Rs 1500/- only per night. Includes dinner, break-fast, morning coffee. Very nice homely food there. I think this may be off season rates and for 24-hour check-in and check-out time.
Old 26th February 2008, 11:49   #7
BHPian

Nice, crisp travelogue with good pics.
Old 26th February 2008, 13:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice Travelogue and pics...

Abhi
Old 26th February 2008, 14:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good writeup and pics. You are right. Some people does not understand the importance of such places and litter around and that to with plastic. They should think of the hazards it will create.
Old 1st March 2008, 16:45   #10
NIP
Senior - BHPian

i somehow missed this thread for so long !! great pictures and seems like you had a blast !! i'm planning to go back one of these weekends...hoping the rains start early...! i like it wet and wild
Old 1st March 2008, 16:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
i somehow missed this thread for so long !! great pictures and seems like you had a blast !! i'm planning to go back one of these weekends...hoping the rains start early...! i like it wet and wild

same thoughts here. missed this somehow!

good write up mate & great snaps.

and so many places in two days! great :-)

noted on my list of places to see.
Old 3rd March 2008, 14:46   #12
BHPian

Thanks guys. Yep, had a blast.. moreover satisfied with the driving in ghats.. Damn good left-right-left. Will go again in peak season, i.e during September.

I had a route graph drawn by Mr Viju of Kings Cottage to reach Chalavara Falls and Chomkund hill. Will upload that tomorrow...

Last edited by mahadev_kc : 3rd March 2008 at 14:48.
Old 7th March 2008, 21:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Btw, Kings cottage is little far (45km) from Madikeri. If we wish to roam in Madikeri, any good resorts or hotel you recommend near or in Madikeri?
Old 8th March 2008, 08:31   #14
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Btw, Kings cottage is little far (45km) from Madikeri. If we wish to roam in Madikeri, any good resorts or hotel you recommend near or in Madikeri?
try this site for homestays and hotels: http://www.travelcoorg.com/
Old 8th March 2008, 08:33   #15
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
Thanks guys. Yep, had a blast.. moreover satisfied with the driving in ghats.. Damn good left-right-left. Will go again in peak season, i.e during September.

I had a route graph drawn by Mr Viju of Kings Cottage to reach Chalavara Falls and Chomkund hill. Will upload that tomorrow...
i'd rather you do not upload that map mahadev. sorry for saying this, but i somehow feel bad that the place is getting so commercialized these days. let some memories remain memories thanks.

Most Viewed