Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2018, 15:44   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bhoota Kola: A pictorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
... The temple at our ancestral home in Calicut district ...
We were not far away. The event we attended was at Pookad, Chemancheri. Google maps shows the temple as ചോയ്യക്കാട്ട് ഭൈരവ ക്ഷേത്രം. It's easy to be lazy when travelling with a local-language speaker, and I did not pick up the name. My wife is out, so I can't get her to read it for me. But I guess it is your mother tongue, so perhaps you'd do the honours and write it in English script?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Thad and Samurai, if you're interested there is this Death/Thrash Metal group from Kannur whose music and videos are heavily influenced by Theyyam. ... ... ...
Not expecting it to be my kind of music! But I might be surprised and will dip into that later anyway. Thaks!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th April 2018 at 15:47.
Old 18th April 2018, 16:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
ചോയ്യക്കാട്ട് ഭൈരവ ക്ഷേത്രം.
Choyyakkattu (place/family name) Bhairava (self explanatory) Kshetram (a guy who plays the mridangam would know what that means)

Quote:
Not expecting it to be my kind of music! But I might be surprised and will dip into that later anyway. Thaks!
The key to enjoying this sort of music is to ignore the singer(s) LOL. The music is really good, however, to each his own.

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th April 2018 at 16:04.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 23:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was asking my friend about (as far as I could understand what was going on) the reverential attitude of the temple priests, taking the blessings of the dancers. He said that, during the dance/ritual, the dancers embody the gods.
As Samurai says the currently seen official priests are a new phenomenon. Earlier these were community based temples and a prominent member from the community or in the case of temples associated with a house, the man of the house does the pujas

Quote:
We were not far away. The event we attended was at Pookad, Chemancheri. Google maps shows the temple as ചോയ്യക്കാട്ട് ഭൈരവ ക്ഷേത്രം.
Not far away indeed - hardly five kms from my place
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 00:16   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was asking my friend about (as far as I could understand what was going on) the reverential attitude of the temple priests, taking the blessings of the dancers. He said that, during the dance/ritual, the dancers embody the gods.
Yes, they are supposed to embody the gods when they in costume. Obviously, everybody is aware that those are humans who doing the talking on behalf of god. Still, many devout people take their words seriously. That is because the people who do the spiritual dance are supposed to take their role seriously. They are supposed to talk what is good for the organizing family and village. In fact, the person who played the Jumadi role in the photos I posted, happens to be a university professor with a Phd in Bhoota worshiping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
As Samurai says the currently seen official priests are a new phenomenon. Earlier these were community based temples and a prominent member from the community or in the case of temples associated with a house, the man of the house does the pujas
This is because worship has become a big business. Until last month, I had never seen priests at Bhoota kola. I was very surprised because this is not a vedic ritual, but a pagan one.

Similar thing happened to weddings in my community. During the 60s when my parents got married, priests would never officiate in non-brahmin weddings. My parents wedding was officiated by the village washerman or Dhobi, as was the custom then. However, it started changing in 70s. Many families that had settled in Mumbai brought back the custom of priests officiating in the wedding. Now 99% of our weddings are officiated by priests.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 00:05   #50
BANNED

The info about the Brahmin priests in "lower-caste" places A worship (sorry for being blunt) is not what they thought me in high school. About 12 years back, was caught up in a mini jam due to a roadside meeting by an extreme red group near Uthrali Kavu. The speaker was (what I then thought was) ranting about how the Brahmins are starving non-veg alcohol loving lower class gods & feeding them "bland" rice. I ought to have paid more attention to that speech.

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th April 2018 at 08:48. Reason: Typos.
Old 8th May 2018, 11:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
About 12 years back, was caught up in a mini jam due to a roadside meeting by an extreme red group near Uthrali Kavu.
If you travel around those regions, am surprised at your curiosity about these events.

Wadakkanchery, where Uthrali (Rudra Maha Kali, colloquialised) Kavu is located, is very much in the thick of such action.

In fact the Utralikkavu pooram (which is quite famous in those parts, considered next only to Thrissur Pooram in grandeur) used to feature Theyyam - at least when I was a kid, when the actors could get really scary.
Old 8th May 2018, 11:26   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
In fact the Utralikkavu pooram (which is quite famous in those parts, considered next only to Thrissur Pooram in grandeur) used to feature Theyyam - at least when I was a kid, when the actors could get really scary.
The new fad in temples of Malabar are elephants. The traditional events like Thera and Theyyam are taking a back seat and people are more interested in getting famous elephants to show off their money power and one-upmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The info about the Brahmin priests in "lower-caste" places A worship (sorry for being blunt) is not what they thought me in high school. About 12 years back, was caught up in a mini jam due to a roadside meeting by an extreme red group near Uthrali Kavu. The speaker was (what I then thought was) ranting about how the Brahmins are starving non-veg alcohol loving lower class gods & feeding them "bland" rice. I ought to have paid more attention to that speech.
These points and counterpoints are, both as part of curriculum and by wayside speakers are just politically motivated. Let's not talk about that (lower class gods!!! what's that??)
Old 8th May 2018, 12:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Another variation of Kola called Vothe Kola is quite famous in Tulunad. The Bhoota here can be seen running/jumping over cinder. If anyone is interested, April-May is the season of Kola/Nema/Jaatre in Coastal Karnataka. Just a drive through state highways will reveal plenty of event hoardings even in the tiniest village.

PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 17:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

I attended a Bhootha Kola yesterday in Panemangaluru. Here is a teaser. I will follow this up with more in the coming days.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3938.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3981.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4105.jpg

Last edited by unk9ja : 27th January 2019 at 17:42.
unk9ja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 18:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

I would like to thank Samurai for bringing this thread which gives an insight to the Kola. Well the Panemangaluru Nayak's (That is the family name) annual ritual fell on 26/01 and the day being Saturday preceding Sunday meant I had enough time to visit and rush back to Bangalore.

Plan was to start early on 26/01, reach Panemangaluru by lunch, chill out and have a darshan of Veera Vithal Venkataramana Swamy and the palakki utsav thereof and finally end the day with Kola. Catch some sleep and start the next morning.
So we started on 26/01 and reached Panemangaluru at 1145 after a brief detour to Malleshwara temple at Bijemaranahalli which comes just before Hassan. A few pics of the place. There is a windmill farm on the hillock and provides great view.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3849.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3852.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3853.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3866.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3882.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3886.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3888.jpg

Post lunch we roamed around the place until evening. Time for darshan at the Veera Vittala temple and for the pallakki utsav where the Lord is taken in a palanquin around the temple.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3923.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3924.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3925.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3933.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3936.jpg

The end of the Mahapooja in this temple marks the beginning of the Kola around a kilometer from this place. The road leading to the venue was decorated.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3896.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3897.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3898.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3899.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3900.jpg

Some pictures of the temple complex.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3901.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3907.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3909.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3910.jpg

The name of the deities in the temple, Karluti and Kalkuda

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3908.jpg

When we reached the place, the patradharis or the men who would represent the deities were getting ready. It is an elaborate process to get into the costumes. Some random pictures taken during this time.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3938.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3942.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3944.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3945.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3947.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3948.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3949.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3951.jpg

Last edited by unk9ja : 28th January 2019 at 18:28.
unk9ja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 16:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

More pictures....

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3953.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3957.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3958.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3963.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3964.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3966.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3970.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3972.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3975.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3976.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3978.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3979.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3981.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3983.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3987.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3990.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3993.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3994.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3995.jpg

After this, the patradharis come to the temple premises at the front and offer prayer.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_3996.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4000.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4001.jpg

And the program begins with the Gods taking up the anklets and giving a report to the public on the past and how satisfied they were with the happenings. This normally happens with a middle agent called Madhyastha and the temple priest. Most of this is by sign language and these people interpret to the family and the public .

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4004.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4005.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4008.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4010.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4016.jpg

This is accompanied by a high pitched drumming in traditional style.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4017.jpg

The family members are seated in the front of the audience and the Gods give them a first hand report and also check the attendance. In this session, a couple of elders were not present due to sickness and the Gods questioned the Madhyastha about their whereabouts and also insisted that the entire family be present during the coming Kola.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4019.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4020.jpg

With this the Gods come back towards Sanctum and tie the anklets on their legs.

Last edited by unk9ja : 29th January 2019 at 17:00.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 17:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4024.jpg

While the male God gets to wear an attire made of leaves.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4026.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4029.jpg

Since the weather is quite hot, the assistants come over to cool the Gods whenever there is a pause in the program.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4030.jpg

Then the program continues further...

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4031.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4032.jpg

...with the family embers garlanding

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4033.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4038.jpg

The priest speaks to the Gods and hands over a torch each.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4039.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4040.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4041.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4042.jpg

During this, the Goddess ignites a camphor and places it on her tongue before devouring it. This time it was on the steps of the temple and I could not capture it.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4052.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4044.jpg

And the dance with the flaming torch continues

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4046.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4049.jpg

While the music gets louder and louder

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4048.jpg

The Gods go out to perform a pooja to the moon

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4051.jpg

In between the elders are reminded of their duties and responsibilities and how effective it was to appease the Gods in the past.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4056.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4057.jpg

And also to the priests of the temple

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4058.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4059.jpg

This young guy was happily dancing to the music unperturbed by the happenings around him

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4067.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4069.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4070.jpg

The Gods are asked to calm down and have tender coconut offerings which are given by the family elders.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4073.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4074.jpg

The family members are taken for the round of the temple in a procession.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4077.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4078.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4082.jpg

With this, the first part of the program comes to an end and the Gods retire to change their costumes while audience thins out. The second part is for the people who come to ask for solutions to their problems and people seeking blessings form the Gods.

Last edited by unk9ja : 29th January 2019 at 17:41.
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 17:49   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
The name of the deities in the temple, Karluti and Kalkuda
Slight correction. The female deity is Kallurti, not Karluti.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 22:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I had a chance to play photographer at a Bhoota Kola. Since the event was sponsored by the family, I figured nobody will object.

Usually photographers are not invited to Bhoota Kola. It takes place in dim light and flash can be distracting to the spiritual dancers. But I was armed with my new E3, so I took up the challenge.
Lovely pictorial record of a rare art form. Thanks Samurai. I am sure such records are important for posterity and surely will be appreciated by our children as well.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 29th January 2019 at 22:39.
Old 30th January 2019, 19:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

In the second part, it is all for the people who seek blessings and ask for solutions to their problems.

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4092.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4093.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4094.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4097.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4099.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4102.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4104.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4105.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4107.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4110.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4115.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4120.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4121.jpg

Bhoota Kola: A pictorial-img_4125.jpg

The last part sees the deities being offered milk by the family members and with its acceptance the event concludes. This time, the usual patradhari did not don the Goddess costume as he was hurt in an accident couple of days before. The alternate one did not shine as well the the one who was supposed to do. But nevertheless the belief of 800 odd people who attended this made it a grand success.

And the credit for this goes to all those faces who worked around the clock in the background tirelessly to ensure a smooth and trouble free environment at the place.

I will go back in the coming years whenever I have an oppurtunity and present it here. Cheers until then.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks