Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2008, 19:27   #1
BHPian

Weekend at Rajamundry, AP

I was here last weekend and got a chance to go on the famous boat ride. The boat ride to Papikondalu is 60kms. We got on the boat at around 930AM and came back at around 8PM. ( Breakfast and lunch included. )

The tents in the pic here is made of bamboo. There is one package tour with AP Tourism that lets you stay in those tents.

The really long bridge is an awesome sight, when one part is covered by the early morning mist. This bridge has a road on the top and a railway track below. Very nice to look at. BTW, this can be done on a weekend ( from Chennai ) Provided, you have confirmed booking.

There are villages on both sides of the river. Many of them totally unexplored. Some of them have to use the river for daily transport. So their daily Merc is actually a boat.

Old 5th March 2008, 19:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

cool graphics on the bus :-)

very nice pictures. i guess it is a lot of distance from bangalore. will check if any of my friends from that area are getting married to warrant a trip to that side of the world.
Old 5th March 2008, 19:36   #3
rkg
Senior - BHPian

nice photos.
the rail road bridge across godavari at rajamundry is Asia's longest rail rod bridge (3 KM long)
Old 5th March 2008, 19:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Cool pictures.
The car sticker on bus seem like a real car parked next to the bus!!! Nice.

Are those bridges pictures taken from the boat?
Old 5th March 2008, 21:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

oh man! it reminded me of a boat ride to bhadrachalam from rajahmundry when i was in school and vividly remember the ride. Your report and pics made me revisit the same. Good one there buddy !
Old 5th March 2008, 21:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oh my go. This is my town...... Thank you ranjit for the beautiful pics.

When i was a kid that boat in your pic (called launch) is the only means to go to my grandmother's village. BTW, are you from Rjy?
Old 5th March 2008, 22:33   #7
BHPian

Nice pictures there neoranjit. Never halted at Rjy till date though i have been through it to Vizag twice. Will try to add this to my next itenary due in Apr 08. Thanks again.
Old 5th March 2008, 23:27   #8
BHPian

fantastic pics ranjit. i guess this bridge is very close to the railway station, during my childhood days it used to be a great experience (scary as well) crossing this bridge by train.

regards
tifosi.
Old 6th March 2008, 02:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
fantastic pics ranjit. i guess this bridge is very close to the railway station, during my childhood days it used to be a great experience (scary as well) crossing this bridge by train.

regards
tifosi.
Yes all the bridges are very close to one of the two railway station. The one on the left side in the two bridges pictures is not operational for the last 12 years. This was built during British. Once the train gets on to the bridge, it gives me a warmth homely feeling. The river and the bridges are identity of Rajahmundry.

It is said that the scenic places in the above pictures will be gone forever if the govt goes ahead to build a dam close to these locations. The beauty of the first picture is near Rajahmundry River Godavari is close to 3 KM wide while at the point in the first pic, it is hardly only 200 meters and the river takes a very high angle turn between those hills.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th March 2008 at 05:24. Reason: Posts Merged
Old 6th March 2008, 09:30   #10
BHPian

This is great sopt and scenic location...

AP toursim can still do lot more in promoting this spot for the very ride in the waters across papikondalu...

I have been to Tyda near Aruku near Vizag that a cool sopt as well...
Old 6th March 2008, 09:54   #11
BHPian

Cool place and nice pics.. specially the one with the car drawn on the bus..
Old 6th March 2008, 10:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Aah what a pic, Rajahmundry looked amazing through your pics. That new prestressed concrete bridge came up in the mid 90s. Can you tell me what was your itenary? I mean how did you go there, where did you catch the boat, where did you stay etc etc?

That pic of the Godavari duel bridge made my day, there is a old nostalgia behind it, you will come to know about it once you read this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...e-kolkata.html

Abhi
Old 6th March 2008, 10:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the itenary please. Pictures are professional. How did you reach Raj'ri in the first place?
Old 6th March 2008, 10:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

amazing sunset pics, that reminds me, life has so much to enjoy, why worry
Old 6th March 2008, 21:13   #15
BHPian

All...Thank you for you comments.
Had the shock of my life when I realised that teambhp has been blocked by my IT folks. Now, have to figure out whom to bribe and how.

@akroy.. I had the comfort of staying at someones house.. So, no clue abt how expensive / cheap hotels are..

There are three - four trains that leave from Chennai to Rajamundry.. but apparently the boat ride starts at 630AM. ( our ride started only at 9 -930 AM ) I took a train from Chennai to Vijaywada and another train from Vijaywada to Rajamundry. Vijaywada is a major junction for all trains.. So you will have trains coming into this station almost eveyr 30 mins. Its a 2 hr train from Vijaywada to Rajamundry .

Bookings can be done by from any AP tourism ofice. you shud chk with the one thats at Blr. Let me find out if i can get more detials and PM you abt it . Again no big idea abt the reservations,cos had my relatives do that for me. All I had to do was to go and sit in the boat
I shot the pics of the bridge from the road.. Not from the boat.

Most Viewed