Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2008, 22:55   #1
BHPian

My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag

This is my first attempt at a travelogue. So kindly pardon me if it turns out to be soporific.

We (read me, mom and dad) were planning a trip to Papikondalu, near Rajahmundry for a long time. The original plan was to take a train to Rajahmundry and then travel by boat to the place, but i insisted on visiting the port at Vizag too. So travel by train would turn out to be too hectic and thus was ruled out. So there it was decided, road it would be.

So thus our dear old Santro was readied and decked up. The car was sent to the service center and was deemed to be fit as ever to take the trip.

Our planned route was to take the NH9 till Vijayawada and then take the NH5 to Rajahmundry. Then stay overnight there and visit Papikondalu, the next day and then continue on the next day to Vizag and spend a few days there before returning back. So with all preparations done and ready, i could hardly sleep before my first road-trip.

After a sleepless night for me, we started off early at about 5 AM on a wednesday. The roads were bare except for a few early morning joggers and maniacal 7-seaters. We made good time and by sunrise at about 6 AM we were comfortably outside Hyderabad.

For all those who thought, traffic jams in the city can be nerve wracking, check this out.
Attachment 3156
We got stuck in a 13 km long traffic jam just near Narkatpalli on the NH9. Some of the truck drivers mentioned that they were stuck there since 3AM in the morning. Then just when i thought, ' there goes all the planning, down the drain', my dad, decides its time to go offroading in a Santro.
Thus, we follow a Zen who it seems was accustomed to this sort of traffic hurdles and we start weaving through the traffic, sometimes travelling on the mud, beside the tar road and finally we manage to clear it, though we lost valuable time.

From then on it was smooth sailing, with the roads good to drive on. We reached Suryapet and stopped for breakfast at about 9:30 AM. Then onwards from Suryapet, the road to Vijayawada was horrible, with craters everywhere and the car took a beating.
Near a village(dont remember the name), a mad man hurled a stone at the car. It scraped the paint off the right rear door. Never understood why he wanted to do that.

Then finally, we reached Vijayawada at about 12:00. One word though, the roads from Keesara to Vijayawada(about 70 km i think), the roads were amazing. Real fun to drive on.

We finished lunch at Vijayawada and after a short siesta, we headed out to Rajahmundry along NH5 at about 4 PM. The sight of the open roads was such a delight and the car was begging to be pushed. I managed a 145 before my mom freaked out. The road was an absolute bliss to drive on.
I really think, this is one road, every vehicle must be let loose upon.
Attachment 3160
Attachment 3159
With a steady 80kmph, we managed to reach, Rajahmundry by about 8 PM after a brief stopover at Tanuku.

A sumptous dinner ensured that i enjoyed sleeping, as i savored every moment of the day's drive.
Woke up early the next day,and was greeted by a lazy sunrise. Got ready and went out to the travel agent who arranged for the trip to Papikondalu. Here while waiting for another family to turn up i managed to click a snap of the Rail cum road bridge at Rajahmundry. What a site it was, early in the morning.
My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-pb290012.jpg

We travelled by Sumo to Pattiseema and then boarded the AP Tourism boat. It was windy and chilly. I regretted not carrying my windcheater with me.
But then, once we got going, and as the sun rose higher, the temperatures rised and we all sat down to savor the beauty of the river Godavari and its serene surroundings.
My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-pb290056.jpg

The much talked about Papikondalu, were a sight to behold. Though the actual stretch was less than 3kms, it was amazing, and seemed like it went on forever. Its amazing what nature can treat you to.

My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-pb290040.jpg
My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-pb290065.jpg
My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-pb290074.jpg
My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-pb290088.jpg
My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-pb290116.jpg

Came back and crashed in the hotel after a visit that offered a truly spectacular insight into nature and its ways.

Next day, a friday we started off to Vizag early at about 7AM after a quick breakfast. Again the sight of NH5 was intoxicating and truly amazing. The only dampener were the toll gates, every 80-100kms. We nearly forked out 1000 bucks only at the gates, both ways inclusive.

My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-pb300146.jpg

We reached Vizag, at around 12:00 in the afternoon and finished lunch. We then tried to go to the port and were told that we were forbidden. We were disappointed to know that, but then dad said he knew someone on the inside and he promised to take me in the next day. So we went around Vizag, the Ramakrishna beach and the submarine museum which was completely outta this world, i must say.

My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-sub_2.jpg
My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-sub_1.jpg

This was taken at Kailashgiri.
My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-pc010236.jpg

It was pretty late and after a night walk down the beach, we geared up for the next day. The next day, with the help of a relative, we got permission to visit the Port and were taken around on a tour. Wow ! my word, those ships were huge. Felt like a tiny speck, compared to them.
My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-crane.jpg
My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-ship.jpg
My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-ship_build.jpg
Was lucky to see this oil rig up close which had come to port for some repair work.
My first road trip : Hyd-Papikondalu-Vizag-oil_rig.jpg

Then the next day(sunday), we started our return journey back to Hyderabad early at about 4AM and reached Vijayawada by 12 PM. After a brief stopover, we started for Hyderabad and reached the city at around 10:30 in the night.

Overall, a very exciting and refreshing trip. The drive was an experience in itself. Covered a total of about 1500 kms. Topped the tank 3 times and the car returned a FE of about 17.5-18.5 km to the litre.

Sorry for the long post, but couldnt help but put in everything , though i missed quite a few more bits
Old 24th March 2008, 08:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey, nice travelogue and some rare pics of port and bridge as well.

I wonder one thing, while your onward journey what were you doing for 4 hours in Vijayawada at lunch, you could have reached Rajahmundry by 4pm itself.

Abhi
Old 24th March 2008, 09:55   #3

Hi maranellore, Nice pictures and travelogue. Really liked the Rajamundry bridge snap. Attachments are not opening and it says invalid link for all of them.

Could you please tell me about the staying options at Rajahmundry ?

-Abhijit
Old 24th March 2008, 12:17   #4
rkg
Senior - BHPian

nice travelogue.

Light house is beautiful place. you should have visited it as you have gone inside port

one has to cross the port in a boat and climb up the Dolphin's nose hill ( because it looks like one from the top. check google earth). the view from the top of light house is very good.

there is another way for cars . there are quarters up on the hill for light house staff and weather station staff

similarly there are many areas/beaches around vizag other than ramakrishna beach which are beautiful. one can see the areas where many films were shot like Ek dhuje keliye etc.
gangavaram(near steel plant) and rishikonda beach's also good . similarly the road between ramakrishna beach to Bhimli across the rishikonda and old Dutch settlement is very good
Old 24th March 2008, 15:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I wonder one thing, while your onward journey what were you doing for 4 hours in Vijayawada at lunch, you could have reached Rajahmundry by 4pm itself.Abhi
Abhi, you know the stretch from Vjw-Hyd is hell galore. Traffic and Pothole and on top of it, its his first drive.

@Mara, absolutely wonderful write-up and nice pictures to boot, i can understand your thrill of the first long road trip, i am sure you had a blast. However, some pictures came out quite hazy. Which camera did you use?
Old 24th March 2008, 18:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Hey, nice travelogue and some rare pics of port and bridge as well.

I wonder one thing, while your onward journey what were you doing for 4 hours in Vijayawada at lunch, you could have reached Rajahmundry by 4pm itself.

Abhi
had to stay back in vijayawada as we had to visit a few relatives and spend time with them. Family compulsions u know

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_N View Post
Hi maranellore, Nice pictures and travelogue. Really liked the Rajamundry bridge snap. Attachments are not opening and it says invalid link for all of them.

Could you please tell me about the staying options at Rajahmundry ?

-Abhijit
Hey Abhijit ! I stayed at a place called Aashrith International near the old Rajahmundry bridge i think. I dont remember the area exactly but it was opposite some hotel called Mahalaxmi.
The place was decent and offered us only boarding and lodging, without food.
It suited our requirements perfectly and hence the stay there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
nice travelogue.

Light house is beautiful place. you should have visited it as you have gone inside port

one has to cross the port in a boat and climb up the Dolphin's nose hill ( because it looks like one from the top. check google earth). the view from the top of light house is very good.

there is another way for cars . there are quarters up on the hill for light house staff and weather station staff

similarly there are many areas/beaches around vizag other than ramakrishna beach which are beautiful. one can see the areas where many films were shot like Ek dhuje keliye etc.
gangavaram(near steel plant) and rishikonda beach's also good . similarly the road between ramakrishna beach to Bhimli across the rishikonda and old Dutch settlement is very good
I actually went around to Rishikonda and Bhimli. But could not post here as i was afraid that the post was getting too boring

yeah i regret not visiting the light house. We unfortunately ran out of time.
But next time i'll drive down there only to visit the light house

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

@Mara, absolutely wonderful write-up and nice pictures to boot, i can understand your thrill of the first long road trip, i am sure you had a blast. However, some pictures came out quite hazy. Which camera did you use?
hey thanks !
mostly i used a simple Point and shoot camera, an Olympus FE220 and for some of the pics, i used an N73.

Apologize for the poor quality of some of them
Old 30th March 2008, 22:57   #7
BHPian

That is a good travelogue. Love th pictures of port from the hill and Rajahmundry bridge. Can you provide me a little detail of Pattiseema, I will PM you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks