Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2008, 16:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lost on the way to Coorg!!

Again a unplanned trip, again a flash back to a couple of years, but heck... Always good to share stuff with BHPians...

Sometime in may 2004, I decided that i had to surprise my girlfriend after a long night shift in the call center! I was also in that industry at that time. So I logged out at around 3AM, had already filled petrol to BRIM in the evening. I picked my friend up from the office and drove till her home, on reaching there asked her to pack up for 2 days trip. Destination - unknown!

As usual got the same reaction - , So off we went from JP Nagar, B;lore at 4AM. God knows where.!

I had learnt that Coorg is a great place for wkend getways near Bangalore. (Now I know a lot more). Did some stupid things in this trip, Some gyan for all you people on what not to do on a trip.

Hit Nelamangla around 430AM, (Bangalorean's dont ask why), Turned towards Hassan and started to rip, was a nice road then. Around 10Am we reached Hassan and had a nice breakfast. Oh forgot, on the way drove all the way till Shravenabelagola's Car park, after GF saw the height of the mountain, she said no-no (guess my stupidity is contagious). Lost around 50 Kms there.!

After crossing Hassan, asked a Tractor guy where is Coorg. (Hints of stupidity cropping up). Guy showed the way Back to Bangalore, then asked to go to Mysore (wow), then proceed towards Bandipur (ok..), then in between take a turn towards Hassan (I am lost), then turn left from, turn left from, eh.. I forgot. After all this I got the most weirest stare from my GF till date. WE ARE ON THE WRONG ROAD AFTER 6 HOURS.!

To explain to you better, consider a rectangle a-b-c-d. I went from a-b-c and learnt that i need to go to d. Problem was c-d was non-existant on the ATLAS.!

But true to a roadie's spirit, found out there are many Village's connecting Hassan to kushalnagar (a major junction inbetween coorg-mysore-hassan). After 2-3 Arduous hours through roads you only saw on (TWISTER Movie), reached kushalnagar for lunch. WHEW. Back on Plan-1.

Proceeded towards Madikeri. On the way met a old buddy in Sunticoopa, got the car checked and hit madikeri at around 4-5 PM. I took 10+ hours for a 6 hour trip. WOW. Got into a nice place to stay and hit the shack.

Got up early and 1st thing was wade through the rain soaked roads of beautiful Madikeri and catch a glimpse of sun rise at Rajah's Seat. True to its name, was a great royal garden of the Coogi's King where he had a great view of a valley beside Madikeri.

Had a quick brunch and went off into the mists of the western ghats to reach 'TALACAUVERY', the source of river cauvery. After nearly 2 hours of HAZARDOUS driving through the mountains, hit the place. WOW, what a nice little place, difficult to believe great things start at such a small level.

Had a quick snaps session and left before 3PM. Heard from the locals that the Road back to Madikeri darkens very rapidly after 3PM. Rushed back to the hotel, had a quick tea and went shopping for KODAVA's handicrafts. Very nice place, key word is 'BARGAIN'. Nice Locals. Crashed early.

Started next day back to Bangalore. On the way took a detour for 2 hours and visited Abbey Falls, not much to talk about, and started to climb down the ghats. Before noon were beyond Kushalnagar, Tibetian Monastry, and were on the Mysore-Bandipur road.

Had food at Mysore and started the hectic drive on the 'Yet to complete' Mysore - Bangalore super fast road. (Of course, now I have done it under 90 minutes after completion)

Reached bangalore, and had a very long funny story to talk about with friends.
Old 24th March 2008, 16:49   #2
BHPian

hmm..funny story indeed..but why did u hit the hassan route in the first place...did u chalk out the route in advance or not?
Old 24th March 2008, 19:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Lol great tale buddy.....This is what happens if your in remote areas after 8 in the night. I am from coorg and once i and dad stopped as a guy on a tractor was asking for directions. And guess what. He was headed to hassan
Well to clarify i stay in south coorg which is 90 kms from kushalnagar.
Old 24th March 2008, 21:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

hahaha..thats funny!
As much as it may seem like fun,the slight fear of getting lost or getting into an unwanted situation makes such trips the last on my agenda. A proper planned trip throws in a lot of fun,albeit without the surprise element.
Old 25th March 2008, 10:59   #5
BHPian

Thats the spirit. YOU JUST DID IT !!!cheers:
Old 25th March 2008, 12:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thats funny!!
I am wondering why you went to Hassan.
It makes sense if you get lost after hitting Mysore road.
Old 25th March 2008, 12:36   #7
BHPian

BTW which car where you in?
Old 25th March 2008, 15:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
BTW which car where you in?
Alto easy to tread along narrow kuccha roads
Old 25th March 2008, 15:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

All you readers, thanks for the replies and observations, After the mistakes and blunders i made in the past, I have changed a lot and plan a trip very well in advance. A gist of things i do and wish every one does before a trip...

1) google earth map of each and every town on the way, and a zoomed out map of entire area I may travel
2) road maps, i get them from Higginbothams or LandMark store , bangalore
3) 2nd spare wheel (dont ask why)
4) Entire spanner, screwdriver kit
5) All important rope, torch light, warning triangle
6) Chinese make backup NoKia charger, (charges from a AA battery)
7) list of all petrol bunks on the way, IOC, BP, IBP, HP, A1, Etc etc, (Call a few of them in advance and check the fuel availability, I AM STUPID)
8) Find of if any of my friends-ka-friends-ka-friends stay near the towns, city;s I travel
9) Distilled Water - 1 Bottle
10) Lots of Pottable Water
11) Some warm clothing+ Odomos Cream
12) Binoculars
13) Spare Bulbs Set - Always!!!

If any1 wants to add to my list, please feel free to do so. I have used most of the above listed items some time or the other, luckily not any wheel change or Tool kit needed till date, Maps- Very useful though.
Old 25th March 2008, 15:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

This planned list of yours now is in stark contrast to what you did in 2004. But I guess you would have enjoyed that trip more than what you do now.

For me, it is simple. Plan never works...
Old 26th March 2008, 09:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ur story reminded me of a friend of mine without any direction sense.. trust me ..he would have gone north..you are much better my friend..

Good to see that you have learnt ur lessons.

and off topic.. you have a pretty cool GF bro.. after 6 hours of driving in wrong route...only a stare.. lol
Old 26th March 2008, 10:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice adventure
I once relied on google earth map and ended up at the wrong place. Since google earth maps are quite old (at least the Indian terrains), you may find that the ground reality is quite different - new roads built and old ones sometimes no longer lying around.
Old 26th March 2008, 10:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

hahah good one santosh. reminds me of my first ride i think 2002. On my way from Mangalore instead of taking Hassan bypass entered the town and later went towards chikmaglur...hehe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks