Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2008, 01:32   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Group photo...
Attachment 5828

Zounds! Rahul - you've piled on the adipose. You're starting to look like a younger brother of mine - bad for both of us.
Old 6th April 2008, 07:13   #17
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
very nice pics...but the pic where somebody is holding a bone to his face thinking that its a skull ...actually its pelvis though i m not a vet pathologist, i m quite sure,it shows acetabulum"where the femur articulates and the obturator foramens(the holes which u mistook for eye sockets).

nice pics though
Thanks doc, and thanks for the clarification too, lot of technical terms there which i dont understand, though its not nice to know that it was'nt the skull but something else that we were holding to our faces... But somehow it was a perfect fit on Rahul's face...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
nice photos and nice write up! :-)

the place is beautiful! seems like all of you guys got a good work out!
Thank you and yes we had lots of fun as well as work out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Nice pics and great report. Hook us up J man!!
Thanks sa1nik, all in good time my friend... shall plan up something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Wow!!! Super pics and it seems like it was quite an amazing trip.
...and... im sorry to tell you Jay and Mclaren1885, but that is not quite a skull, and believe me you probably wouldnt want to know what part of the animal you were putting your face in
Thanks Rehaan... and you bet i didnt want to know what part that was... thanks for rubbing it in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Zounds! Rahul - you've piled on the adipose. You're starting to look like a younger brother of mine - bad for both of us.
You should have seen him in real... JLo has bloated... He's working on it though, says he's lost weight recently

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th April 2008 at 01:56. Reason: extra smileys removed after merge.
Old 6th April 2008, 20:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Whats Stumpy doing? (the one in which we can see just his head in the grassland! )

And whose the Mexican?(The one in light red shirt and drinking vodka with green chilles)

Nice place and good pictures.Hope Thadu used the occasion to click some nice pix.

edit:
Wow and you saw those animals too? Lucky!

Last edited by jkdas : 6th April 2008 at 20:41.
Old 8th April 2008, 13:19   #19
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Whats Stumpy doing? (the one in which we can see just his head in the grassland! )

And whose the Mexican?(The one in light red shirt and drinking vodka with green chilles)

Wow and you saw those animals too? Lucky!
Well that expression on his face gives you a different impression i know, but he was just posing for the pic thats all...

The Mexican is actually a Mallu in disguise... He is very very loud too...

Actually this time we saw very few animals as it was very hot, had seen more the last time i visited the place.
Old 8th April 2008, 15:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogues, some do make you laugh(for the poses).

The 'Absolut' look must have been nice, was it cold at night there.
Old 8th April 2008, 20:58   #21
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Nice travelogues, some do make you laugh(for the poses).

The 'Absolut' look must have been nice, was it cold at night there.
Was a little cold at night, not very much though. Gets very cold when it rains and during winter.
Old 29th July 2009, 21:41   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Ah! The good old times! Lets do it again, shall we boys? Errr, uncles!
Old 30th July 2009, 06:23   #23
BHPian

Better give me a call too while you are at it...
Old 11th August 2009, 22:55   #24
BHPian

Same trail but completely different ending

My cousin Mukund, his friends Puneeth, Vishwas and another guy whose name I forget and I had done the same trail a few years ago. We trekked from Byaalagudi to Jodigere and spend the night at the guest house. However we had been there in September and it had rained heavily. Spotted a couple of elephants in the distance and some bison too during the trek from Byaalagudi to Jodigere.

The next morning we took a trail which involved climbing down a mountain to somewhere near Kollegal. This was a really challenging downhill climb and was very exhilarating. We were accompanied by a forest guide and a couple of the local Soliga boys (a tribe resident in the area) and were having good fun and the great physical effort that we had to put in to climb down the hill was being forgotten.

Before we planned this trip, my cousin had consulted a website (I don't remember which one) on the difficulty level of the trail and had found it to be "difficult". We were thoroughly enjoying ourselves and my cousin even remarked that this was one of the easiest trails he had ever done; and he had done quite a number of trails.

Puneeth was at the head of the group and Mukund was at the tail. Suddenly, we heard my cousin scream in great pain. He had lost his footing in some loose rocks and had had a bad fall. His arm had been caught in a crevice between the rocks and he was having great difficulty dislodging it. We finally got his hand free and when we checked, we could make out that his left hand had been broken.

What were we to do? We were in the middle of the jungle, halfway down the hill with a long distance to reach the base camp. None of us had any idea of what the first aid procedure was for a fracture. We contemplated sending the gaurd or the guides back for help but were told that it was dangerous for us to stop moving since we were bang in the middle of elephant country.. We decided (actually we had no other option), to continue down the hill with each person taking turns to support Mukund and help him down the hill. Now this was easier said than done since

1. Puneeth and I (apart from Mukund) were the only ones who were at any levels of fitness

2. The guides were only young boys and they could definitely not support my cousin who is a big man

3. We could not rely on the guard since we needed him to man the rifle he was carrying if we were accosted by any wildlife

The next few hours were characterized by a slow and painful descent down the hill. At many places, there was just a tree trunk bridging abysses that were pretty deep (at the time they looked like plunging all the way to paataala loka). Puneeth and I had to be extremely careful to make sure that we did not fall to our collective deaths along with Mukund and this took a lot of doing.

When we finally got to the bottom of the hill, we found that we were still in the middle of a thick jungle. We walked for a few kilometers (along the way spotting an elephant calf's carcass and tiger tracks, which spurred us to walk as fast as we could). We reached the nearest village, where we flagged down a tractor (not a great mode of transport for someone with broken bones) which took us to Kollegal, the nearest town in Chamarajanagar district.

In Kollegal, at a hospital, we learnt that Mukund's hand was broken in a couple of places and it would need surgery that could be performed either in Bangalore or Mysore.

From thereon, we hired an Amby back to Bangalore and reached there in the middle of the night. We took Mukund directly to MSR Hospital where he was operated upon the next day. He currently sports a rod in his hand with a couple of metal plates where the bone was fractured. He has a really gnarly looking scar to show for it. Sadly, this was the last time my sis-in-law let him go on any kind of adventure (this was the second time that he got into trouble on an outing - the first time around, he had almost been swept away in the current at Mekedaatu in front of her eyes, barely a few months after their wedding)

To his credit, Mukund did not even show that he was in pain, (apart from the first couple of hours and some instances of really bad bumps during the tractor ride) even when he was asleep (people generally moan in their sleep if they are in pain). At the end of it all, we were thankful to God for getting him back home without any further danger.
Old 12th August 2009, 07:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Finally the details from the much discussed and heard about trip !

Lovely pictures and crisp narration.
Old 13th August 2009, 13:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Am I the only one not able to see pics??

@msetlur, The name of the place is not Byaalagudi, it is 'Bedaguli'. The website which your cousin might have accessed is www.mysterytrails.com

That said, I guess you would have enjoyed your trip more, if not for that small mishap. Please post other details like the cost involved, accomodation, travel to & fro, permissions etc. I wanted to go on this trek from the last year, but somehow could not find time.
Old 13th August 2009, 17:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Am I the only one not able to see pics??

@msetlur, The name of the place is not Byaalagudi, it is 'Bedaguli'. The website which your cousin might have accessed is Mystery Trails - Home page of the Eco trek programme initiative of Chamarajanagar Forest Department

That said, I guess you would have enjoyed your trip more, if not for that small mishap. Please post other details like the cost involved, accomodation, travel to & fro, permissions etc. I wanted to go on this trek from the last year, but somehow could not find time.

Oops that is right Addy. Bedaguli it is. We took a bus from Bangalore to Mysore, from there to Chamarajanagara. From C-nagara we hired a cab that took us all the way to Bedaguli. The cost worked out to about 2k per head. There is a forest guest house at Bedaguli and one at Jodigere (more like a concrete machan with bare minimum facilities which does not include a toilet ) For the permissions I think we contacted

Deputy conservator of forests,
Chamarajanagar Wildlife Division
E-mail: [COLOR=#0000ff]dcfbrtwildlife@mysterytrails.com[/COLOR]
Phone: 08226-222059
Fax: 08226-222059

I picked up all this from the site that you listed above . If and when you do decide to go, let me know if I can join you (if you don't mind that is).
Old 13th August 2009, 20:31   #28
BHPian

Really amazing pics and a good travelogue. Gotta to go here in the near future.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great pics on the first page!

msetlur, that was a scary experience you had!
Old 14th August 2009, 12:52   #30
NIP
Senior - BHPian

nice pics guys ! some are hilarious !

Most Viewed