Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 19:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
I dont know Malayalam. Is this to do with roads being dug up for water pipes using Japanese grants!
Yes, Japan-aided drinking water project.

Quote:
any suggestions on scenic drives?
Some of the scenic drives I have had are Wayanad (Sultan Bathery-Kalpetta) route, Nilambur route, Thenmala route. Especially after the monsoons.

Search around for Valparai travelogues. That route is said to be very scenic.
Old 9th July 2010, 19:41   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The lesser evil would be Thrippunithura > Nadakkav (take left) > Mulanthuruthy > Kanjiramattom > Thalayolaparambu (left at the junction with a statute).
Hey that's full of nostalgic memories. (I am from Perumpilly, near Mulanthuruthy) Ruled these routs till Feb 2005, then shifted to New Delhi.

Roads are ok, not that much damaged (as per my last visit April 2010), but LS and Tippers will take the joy out of driving. Why don't we try Mulanthuruthy > Piravom> Koothattukulam > Pala >Kanjirappilly. I had did many times with our 5 speed M800. Amazing!

Other one - Thrippunithura > Thiruvankulam > Moovattupuzha > Kothamangalam > Neryamangalam > Kattappana > Rajamala > etc. or Neryamangalam > Adimaali> Munaar > etc.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 9th July 2010, 22:11   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Some of the scenic drives I have had are Wayanad (Sultan Bathery-Kalpetta) route, Nilambur route, Thenmala route. Especially after the monsoons.

Search around for Valparai travelogues. That route is said to be very scenic.
I did check the Valparai pages and about the quaint British bungalows! It has been back of my mind. Thanks for reinforcing it for me.
Old 10th July 2010, 00:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ernakulam take kottayam route but do not travel to kottayam
Are you referring to Ekm-Kolenchery-Mvpa-Koothatukulam-Ktym route or is this something else? I know its full of turns, high & low & yes little scenic. Is there anything more special on this route?
Old 10th July 2010, 20:28   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Curious. I dont know Malayalam. Is this to do with roads being dug up for water pipes using Japanese grants! Forgive me!
Exactly. JBIDC or something is the acronym.

Quote:
I plan to go that way again in October this year...if I can. This time I will try via Dharmapuri Mettur and on to Kerala...any suggestions on scenic drives?
Definitely yes; but you may be better off taking B'lore > Mysore > <several options> Wynad > <depends on destination>

Look at "Current condition of Roads to Kerala", "bangalore Kannur route info", and "Bangalore Ernakulam route" threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Hey that's full of nostalgic memories. (I am from Perumpilly, near Mulanthuruthy) Ruled these routs till Feb 2005, then shifted to New Delhi.
Ah. Perumpilly - it used to be good Handloom weaving center; though not the scale of Balaramapuram.
Old 21st September 2010, 23:05   #81
BHPian

I am planning a Bangalore - Ernakulam trip Oct mid. Visiting Cherai beach, then drive to Munnar for 2N. Drive to Thekkady for 2N. Drive to Cochin airport to fly back to Bangalore. Can someone tell me how long would it take to drive from Thekkady to Cochin airport? I was told 5hrs. Enroute to Munnar, i am planning a brief halt at Kaladi. Are there any other places I should visit during the drive. Thanks for any pointers.
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:48   #82
BHPian

I have driven this route from Kottayam to Thekkady and while I must admit that this is a fantastic route, it would be difficult for me to classify this as the best. I guess individual preferances could also make a differance. Routes to Vagamon and the Thekkady - Munnar route being examples. I also like driving also the shoreline.

Quote:
Can someone tell me how long would it take to drive from Thekkady to Cochin airport? I was told 5hrs.
5 to 6 hours is about right.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:01   #83
Senior - BHPian

In my experience one of the most scenic routes in Kerala is the road between Munnar and Kumily. For road surface, these days most of them are broken. Still I would rate many parts of NH 213 (Palakkad to Kozhikkode) and Palakkad to Ottapalam road as very good to drive. Traffic is always an issue in most roads in Kerala. KK road, Kottayam to Kumily has extremely high traffic and I would not rate it very high. It is scenic in areas around Kuttikanam and Peermedu. The NH47 between Mannuthy and Chalakkudy should become a breeze once the construction works are done.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:12   #84
Senior - BHPian

I love narrow & little rough roads with no traffic through the villages more than the rubberized curvy roads. Many such roads exist but may not be known to anyone except the natives. It gives a WRC feeling

One such road which I always enjoy is the road to KP road form Chakkuvally, which meets the KP road near Nooranad. This road is very scenic with Rubber plantations on both sides with very less houses. There are similar roads that I know in Pala region as well.

Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads?-road.png

The worst road in Kerala is the entire stretch of NH47. You cannot enjoy the driving for a single Kilometer through that.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd September 2010 at 12:14.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:21   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

The lesser evil would be Thrippunithura > Nadakkav (take left) > Mulanthuruthy > Kanjiramattom > Thalayolaparambu (left at the junction with a statute).

Or Thrippunithura > S. Paravur > Kanjiramattom. (The LS bus route).

Feeling still more adventurous? Take the other road from Mulanthuruthy junction to reach Pala via Piravom.
Few more options:
Thripunithura-Nadakkavu(left) - Mulanthuruthy-Piravom-Mulakkulam(turn right and then left after 500mtrs) - Karikode - (again left and right) finally Appanchira and Kaduthuruthy - Pala
Scenic, empty road with newly tarred with both sides marking. Its a breeze to drive all the way except Piravom-Mulakkulam (4kms)

Piravom-Koothattukulam-Palai
Piravom-Elanji-Monippally-Uzhavoor-Marangattupally-Palai (Not in great condition)
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:56   #86
Senior - BHPian

As said the Vaikom - Thalayolaparambu stretch is one evenn a bulldozers dread.
The best way is to turn left not at Nadakkavu but at Puthenkavu four to fivr KM ahead and reach Kanjiramattom, turn right to Thalayolaparambu. But the Kanjiramittom Thalayolaparmbu strech also is in very bad condition due to extended monsoon and the work of the Japanese Ghost.
One thing is for sure, In Kerala not any stretch will remain a driver's delight in full.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:15   #87
Senior - BHPian

As roads around Thalayolaparambu were in bad condition, last Saturday I took following route:

Nadakkavu-Piravom-Mulakkulam-Karikode-Appanchira-Kaduthuruthy-Ettumanoor.....

all the way is in great condition (recently rubberized without any rough surface) except for 2-3kms after Piravom. Its also very pleasant to drive on this not busy stretch.
Old 5th May 2011, 15:47   #88
Senior - BHPian

Re: finest driving route in kerala

Anybody has tried the road from Kumarakom to Vaikom? How is the condition of this road now? I am planning a drive from Kottayam to Ernakulam and looking for alternate routes from the regular Ettumanur > T'parambu > Kanjiramattom route.
Old 22nd April 2012, 22:19   #89
BHPian

Re: Idukki-kerala's best driving roads?

Hello Folks. Did anyone travel this route recently? I am planning a trip in the end of May/First week of June..!! The overhead shot of the s curve in the previous page looks stunning. Could someone tell me how are the road conditions between ernakulam and munnar ? Any info would be of great help.
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:16   #90
BHPian

Re: Idukki-kerala's best driving roads?

I had a drive around two years back , the roads were amazing ,and coupled with the views ,it was like being in heaven !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads?-picture-362a.jpg  

Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads?-picture-370a.jpg  

slalom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed