Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2011, 12:34   #361
BHPian

Re: Driving through Chennai

@Thad E Ginathom
Quote:
It's not the vehicle, it's the way they are driven....
I have a lot against ornamenting the front of one's vehicle with something that is deadly as well as stupid --- whether it is an SUV or an 800!. This is one of my mantras:

Say No To Bull Bars: they have no place outside of a forest. They kill pedestrians.
I agree with you completely.

In Madras the adornment doesn't stop with bull bars. It starts from the windshield - big posters of leaders, gods, demigods, names of daughters and wives to name a few. It is a miracle how the driver behind such embellishments can see the road.
Old 11th February 2011, 10:54   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Nice thread Nick. For people who have been a part of chennai and have drifted away, this thread will definitely rekindle memories (and leave some confused with new buildings and roads that have come up).

Elliot's beach looks calm and serene. Was staying nearby when i moved to chennai and my cousin and I used to spend late nights/early mornings on the beach after we returned from work.
Bro Elliots beach is no more serene...mindless people do a lot of littering on the beach. Loosers. If you happen to visit the beach at night, you will hardly find space to take a turn around yourself. I was in chennai from 2004-06. Elliots beach was a lot more beautiful then. Even I have spent long hrs on the beach at night. my fav was the friday night,till police started patrolling to stop street racing there. All gone now...all you see is an over commercialized beach.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:54   #363
Senior - BHPian

One of those lucky days

It was one of those lucky days on the way to work, sighting some lovely beauties.

Started off with sighting a silver Kizashi in front of Loyola college. Had a Haryana registration - looked cool.

And then at Haddows Road, I see an Etios - currently a rarity on the roads, but that will change soon.

Near Mandaiveli, I see the elusive Prius. I believe this is the 1st one I have seen in Chennai. Love it for being hybrid. But I guess the high price leads to few takers.

As if all this was not enough, just before Park Sheraton, I see this beauty - no need to blank plates as it was not even registered.
Driving through Chennai-dsc02789.jpg

And while returning home from work the same day, I see another Prius - this was an AP registered one.
Old 11th February 2011, 17:24   #364
BHPian

^^ and am sure all of these guys must be thinking, I saw Biju on the road today
Old 11th February 2011, 17:30   #365
Senior - BHPian

He, he. When is the SX4-D coming home ?
Old 27th April 2011, 08:45   #366
Senior - BHPian

Saw 3 accidents on the 20km drive to work yesterday - pretty abnormal :

1) A new electric-blue Beat rammed the rear of a T-board Sumo at the Marriott signal on Mount Road. The Sumo was standing as if nothing had happened to it, while the front-right of the Beat was in a sorry state.

2) Just 100ms or so after this, a couple on bike keel over after getting entangled with a cyclist. This couple had been with me from N.H.Road and were a lovey-dovey couple (girl wearing burkha), with the bike meandering here and there as the guy could not devote attention to both bike and GF. Nothing surprising in their accident.

3) At the Birla Planetorium junction, an Ace stops suddenly to take a U-turn without flashing indicators and a Ritz rear-ends it - deep dent on bonnet.
Old 11th November 2011, 18:25   #367
BHPian

Last week, when it was raining cats and dogs, I saw this dog ensconced in a seller's cart. Every dog has its day !
Attached Thumbnails
Driving through Chennai-29102011059.jpg  

Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 14:33   #368
Senior - BHPian

Some exotics spotted on the road in Chennai :

1) An Izuzu Gemini
Driving through Chennai-dsc03235.jpg

2) Fiat 500
Driving through Chennai-dsc03236.jpg

3) A Nissan in the office parking lot
Driving through Chennai-dsc03251.jpg

4) A ducky ride - checkout the snap closely and you will see a duck/swan seated between the 2 men on the bike.
Driving through Chennai-dsc03329.jpg

These are not really exotics, but since they are not seen on the streets, are definitely rare.

5) A Premier Rio SUV. Call it what you might, but it sure looks good. If only it were a Suzuki, with the DDiS under the hood.
Driving through Chennai-dsc03344.jpg

6) I guess it is month(s) since the new Fiiesta was launched, but this is the 1st car I saw on the roads. And I do look out for cars on the road. Ugly butt !!!
Driving through Chennai-dsc03326.jpg

Most Viewed