Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2008, 22:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Trip to Mulbagilu-A temple town.

Date Travelled: 19.04.2008 (Saturday)
Members in Ford Ikon: Me, Wifey, two kids & my parents in law.
Fuel: HP normal.
Tyre pressure: 32 psi (front & back).
Comfort: Good.
Maps followed: Mapmyindia.
Photographs: Sorry forgot to take the camera.

Route taken: Bangalore-Old Madras Road-KR Puram-Hosakote-Kolar (by pass)-Mulbagal & return same route. I had taken NH4 through out.

Total kms travelled: 237 (To & Fro)
Ac: 100%.
Driven by: Me. Driven steadily at 100~110 kmph (after Hosakote).
Mileage: 13.84 kmpl. Very less as their was severe traffic jams inside the city.

Travelogue: Wanted to go on a long drive. Was planning this from a some time since it was quite some time since I had gone driving. Got up in the morning and was thinking of going to Leepakshi but thought in this summer with kids better not to venture out this and thought of going to Mulbagal since I also wanted to see this place from a long time. All these thoughts came to me at 0930 hrs in morning. Had a quick bath and called up my parents in law whether they would like to join with us. They told will come. Started from my house at 9.45 am and by the time I picked my parents in law it was 10.45 am. But going out of city was a nightmare.
I encountered the first traffic jam near palace grounds. Then it was near KR Puram. By the time we passed these, it was well past 1130 hrs. The traffic throughout upto Hosakote was worse. Reached Hosakote at 11.45 am. The drive after this was OK. But the truck traffic was too much. The six laneing of the NH4 was in progress. But could not see any development of roads. Maintained the speed of 100~110 kmph. Occasionally touched 130 kmph. Reached the destination by 1 pm. My ultimate destination was “sreepada mutt”. This was the first time I was visiting this place and I did not now the place hence had to ask many locals. But none of them answered properly. After roaming around 1 hr inside the city, ultimately reached my destination by 2.45 pm. Did pooja and had lunch there itself.
Mulbagal is a scared place. There are around 100 temples around here and through out the year some or the other car festivals will be going on. All the temples are very old around 400~500 years old. All the temples have a very old history.

We started the return trip after taking darshans at various temples. Started from Mulbagal at 4.30 pm. Followed the same route while coming back also. In no time reached KR Puram by 5.30 pm. A distance of around 70 kms in one hour. Then the actual problem started. Traffic jams through out the city. Did not stop over any place for tea/coffee as we wanted to reach the place within 7.00 pm. Reached home at last at 7.20 pm.
The roads are good. A couple of bad stretches. But the problem is construction of six lanes is going on on NH4. The traffic was too much tough as it was a Saturday (I hope).

Places of interest in and around Mulbagilu: (taken from Wikepidia)
  • Someshwara Temple: Apart from the famous Hanuman temple, this town has Someswara' temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. The Shiva linga here is similar to that at sacred Kashi or Varanasi.
  • Vittaleshwara Temple: Another temple dedicated to Vishnu is the Vittaleswara temple and the idol is similar to Panduranga Vittala at Pandarapur in Maharashtra state.This is also very old temple and has a large gopuras (towers) and vast kalyani (pond).
  • Sripadaraja Math: The town was the residing place of Sreepadaraja Swamiji or simply Sripadaraya, a direct disciple of Saint Madhwacharya, who is known as third avatar of Vayu. The earlier two being Anjaneya or Hanuman, second being Bheema ; the second Pandava. Madhwacharya established the Dwaita school of philosophy. Sreepadaraaja Swamiji who was the raajaguru (most important advisor) of the Vijayanagara kings, was known to have used kannada keerthanas (hymns) during pooja which was considered holy during those times. Sreepaadaraja Swaamiji was also known to was offering sixty four types of dishes naivedya (offering) to God everyday without fail. He has penned many keerthanas praising God and are still popular even after 600 years.
  • Narasimha Teertha: The Narasimha teertha is about 2 km from the town of Mulbagal. It is the sacred place where Swaamiji lived and had his brindavan (sacred resting place for Hindu sages) made, is now the headquarters of the Sreepaadaraaja Mutt founded by him. There is also a Swayamvyakta Yoga Narasimha temple near the brindavan.
  • Baba Hyder Vali Dargah: Mulbagal is also sacred for Muslims as the dargah of Sufi Saint Baba Hyder Vali of Mulbagal is situated here here. Both muslims and hindus worship at the darga and Urus festival is very popular here even to date.
  • Kurudamale Maha Ganapathi Temple: Situated at 8 km from Mulbagal. This place is famous for Lord Ganapathi Temple.the Idol of the lord ganapathi is made of single " Saligrama rock " and the hieght is about 21 Ft from the ground level , & This Idol as well as temple is told to be 5000 yrs old.

Last edited by snaronikar : 20th April 2008 at 23:06.
Old 20th April 2008, 22:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good one Snaronikar!

Thought came at 9.30 and you started at 9.45 after a bath; and managed to get your wife and kids also ready in this time - way to go mate!

Since I have not been to this place, the lack of photos does not allow me to appreciate the place.

Anyway, thanks for the travelogue. Guess I will have to go there to know how it is! :-)

PS: there are lot of formatting tags visible. You might want to edit it out.
Old 20th April 2008, 23:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Good one Snaronikar!
Thought came at 9.30 and you started at 9.45 after a bath; and managed to get your wife and kids also ready in this time - way to go mate!
Wife and kids were already taken bath. It was I who was a bit lazy as it was saturday.

Quote:
Since I have not been to this place, the lack of photos does not allow me to appreciate the place.

Anyway, thanks for the travelogue. Guess I will have to go there to know how it is! :-)
Yes. Only if you are interested to visit religious places.

Quote:
PS: there are lot of formatting tags visible. You might want to edit it out.
Taken care off. Thanks.
Old 21st April 2008, 07:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice Narration snaronikar.
You can also club Horseley Hills too alongwith Mulbagal temples. A night out at Horseley Hills Punnami Resort is not a bad option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Mulbagal is a scared place.
I think you meant sacred

Abhi
Old 21st April 2008, 10:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I think you meant sacred Abhi
Thanks for correction Abhi. Its a typing error.
Old 21st April 2008, 14:00   #6
BHPian

Good travelouge , but in absence of pictures , it is just imagination for us ..

Thanks for the post ..

Regards.. Kat
Old 21st April 2008, 15:16   #7
BHPian

Kudumale

Nice writeup snaronikar!!!

Quote:
Kurudamale Maha Ganapathi Temple: Situated at 8 km from Mulbagal. This place is famous for Lord Ganapathi Temple.the Idol of the lord ganapathi is made of single " Saligrama rock " and the hieght is about 21 Ft from the ground level , & This Idol as well as temple is told to be 5000 yrs old.
Actually named KuduMale and not Kurudamale.
Kudumale - from the legend that the trimurthi's were the first one's to offer puja to lord Ganapathi together here.Hence the name kudumale apparently.

Idol is big & magnificient.

There is another beautiful & huge temple complex in the vicnity called Virupakshi (Shiva).Vijayanagar architecture and the Shivalinga changes three colours in a day.worth visiting.
Old 21st April 2008, 15:45   #8
BHPian

very good coverage snaronikar,

i didnot knew there were so many places to visit around mulbaagilu. thanks for the information, i will try this one out in one of the coming weekends
Old 21st April 2008, 15:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Photographs: Sorry forgot to take the camera.
Proabably, tbhp-ians like you doing lot of travel should have a "stepny" camera in the car.

Anyway, nice pictures. Beleive me, the sudden trips planned like this would be more fun and turns our to be memorable one than the one you sit and plan for long.

Keep going!!!
Old 21st April 2008, 16:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Proabably, tbhp-ians like you doing lot of travel should have a "stepny" camera in the car.

Keep going!!!
Hmmm...will consider this idea from next time though. Even I'am feeling I should have carried the camera. Will make it a point from next time.

@Abhi, happywheels, karthik, ajay, mjothi: Thanks for the same.
Old 22nd April 2008, 22:13   #11
BHPian

Hi,

Nice write up. Even i visited the same place 2 months before. But I actually planned for Kotilengeshwara temple, then visited Bangaru Tirupathi, mulabagu Anjeneya temple and kudumala. Its worth to mention that the kudumale vinayaka temple is 3 YUGAS old. The near by Shiva temple was build by Chola kings.

I started from home by 7pm and came back by 6pm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks