Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2008, 12:13   #1
BHPian

A ride: Lonavla - Lion's Point - Pavana Dam

The three Bulleteers (including me) from the office decided to go for a small ride on Saturday. Three pillions joined us as well.

Started from Hinjewadi flyover. We rode towards Lonavla only to find that traffic was choc-a-bloc. Apparently, there was a major accident on the E-way due to which the poor old NH4 was burdened by the E-way traffic. Luckily for us, we could manouvre our fatfatis in that traffic and reach Lonavla in decent time.

We reached Lions' Point and had the usual photography sessions, nimbu paani and pakodis. We then headed towards the Pavana dam. For this one needs to come back towards Lonavla from Lion's Point and take a diversion from the spot where Tata dam ends. This road leads to Bhangarwaadi and from thereon, head straight. There is a ghat section and this stretch is in bad shape at the moment. Work is underway for road repairs and hopefully should be done before the advent of monsoons. The complete stretch was loose soil and gravel making it difficult to hit even the third gear.

We reached close to Pavana dam and parked our bikes near a small resort. And then the six of us went for some swimming in the clear water. A welcome relief from the sweltering heat . After a good couple of hours in the river, we headed back to Pune via Pavana - Somatane.

At home by 6:00 pm. Good ride. Recommended for those who love swimming in fresh water.

Some pictures attached herein.
Attached Thumbnails
A ride: Lonavla - Lion's Point - Pavana Dam-img_2338.jpg  

A ride: Lonavla - Lion's Point - Pavana Dam-img_2340.jpg  

A ride: Lonavla - Lion's Point - Pavana Dam-img_2382.jpg  

A ride: Lonavla - Lion's Point - Pavana Dam-img_2393.jpg  

A ride: Lonavla - Lion's Point - Pavana Dam-img_2400.jpg  

A ride: Lonavla - Lion's Point - Pavana Dam-img_2457.jpg  

A ride: Lonavla - Lion's Point - Pavana Dam-img_2607.jpg  

Old 21st April 2008, 12:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

yes Pavan or Pauna is a nice dam with not many people around.

I went there in Feb, here are few pics posted, we went first to Pavana & then to Lonavla

Pavana Ride
Old 21st April 2008, 12:54   #3
BHPian

Yes, nice place with virtually no one around. Morevoer, the summers must have played a part here (less people phenomenon)
Old 21st April 2008, 13:42   #4
BHPian

Hey nice pictures and place . U seems to on look out o such places all the time. Is this place approachable is car?
Old 21st April 2008, 13:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000Horses View Post
Hey nice pictures and place . U seems to on look out o such places all the time. Is this place approachable is car?
Thanks man. The roads are pretty narrow as you approach the dam from Kamshet/Somatane. Plus, repair work is in progress at this point in time. Maybe a couple of months down the line, the roads would be in good shape. I would say take a bike, if you have one. You can take the car, but the suspension will take a lot of beating. Your call .

If you want to reach only till Lion's point, no problem in taking the car. Hit the NH-4 and reach Lonavla market area. Take the road to Amby Valley City. Very good stretch right upto Lion's Point. Picture No.3 is a glimpse of the Lion's Point.

Great place, nonetheless.

Last edited by wanderlustindia : 21st April 2008 at 13:50.
Old 21st April 2008, 13:52   #6
BHPian

Hi ,

Good pictures .. I too have posted few pictures of sunset at lions point in the thread sunset at lonavala . Can you give me th exact directions to the dam

Cheers..cheers: Kat
Old 21st April 2008, 14:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
Hi ,

Good pictures .. I too have posted few pictures of sunset at lions point in the thread sunset at lonavala . Can you give me th exact directions to the dam

Cheers..cheers: Kat
If you start from Pune, the easiest route to get there is as follows:

On NH-4,

Hinjewadi Flyover - Dehu Road, Somatane - Talegaon - Vadgaon - Kamshet. Once you reach Kamshet, take the left turn from thereon and head straight on this road. Just follow this road and you will reach Pavana dam which should be about 15-20 kms from Kamshet. Keep asking the locals for driving directions, they are quite helpful. Enjoy the ride/drive and the dip in the river, whenever you plan to

Most Viewed