Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 23:39   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
You seem to live in very picturesque surroundings going by pictures of your Grand Vitara exploits. BTW that place offers some phenomenal offroading opportunities.
Thanks, but it is no fun off-roading alone, not safe either as I found out recently.
Old 2nd May 2008, 23:40   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He was born there, wasn't he.
His home is a museum now a days. But locals used to hate other "Goras", they were not even allowed to use upper part of mall road by whites(or thats the folklore at least). He was different since he mingled with locals.
Old 3rd May 2008, 09:57   #63
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
His home is a museum now a days. But locals used to hate other "Goras", they were not even allowed to use upper part of mall road by whites(or thats the folklore at least). He was different since he mingled with locals.
I think I read somewhere he was often referred to as Gora Sadhu
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:37   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He was born there, wasn't he.
Yes, Samurai. Corbett was born in Nainital.
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:45   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

As I told you earlier, an absolutely gorgeous picto-blog. Thank you for sharing.
Old 3rd May 2008, 14:06   #66
BHPian

Jim Corbett fans should also read the books by Kenneth Anderson. Different part of India, different kind of forest, same magnificent animal; really good read.

Very nice travelogue. A zoom lens would truly have been the icing on the cake!
Old 5th May 2008, 12:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

Just try reading the Man Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag and then try going to the fields on the outskirts of some forest area and walk about there in the night. I've slept in many farmhouses out in the open and its an awesome experience.

But 3 tigers is just too much. Bandipur, Mudhumalai, Thekkadi, Top Slip, Parambikulam and still not a single tiger.. Damn !!
Old 5th May 2008, 20:01   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
It closes in June like Deepak mentioned Tanveer. And no May is not off-season, in fact it's never off-season inside the reserve & especially at Dhikala. You would be lucky to get a reservation there at any time of the year.

And even if you get it there is no surety that at the last moment there will be a cancellation if a VIP decides to visit Corbett in which case your reservation will be cancelled immediately. It has happened to me once when Salman Khurshid decided to visit Corbett with a 50 person group which meant all bookings for those dates were cancelled 4 days before I was supposed to arrive there.

Anyway, when do you want to go? I could see if I have still have some contacts there.
My parents are planning to visit Corbett NP around June 20th,
I wanted to know if its completely shut down or just parts of it are closed?

Please provide details so I can change their Itinerary.
cheers:
Old 5th May 2008, 20:35   #69
Senior - BHPian

Three tigers! You are sooo lucky. I was in Corbett for a couple of days during New Year's. Got up and four in the morning two days running, drove into dikhala, froze in the cold, but saw no tigers. Saw lots of other wildlife though. Great travelogue.
Ill post some pictures from my trip here - this can become the official Corbett thread!

Last edited by StarScream : 5th May 2008 at 20:37.
Old 5th May 2008, 21:05   #70
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
My parents are planning to visit Corbett NP around June 20th,
I wanted to know if its completely shut down or just parts of it are closed?

Please provide details so I can change their Itinerary.
cheers:
Can I request you to speak with Sumanta Ghosh of Tiger Camp. He will guide you. His number is 0 9719243939, email vanghat@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Three tigers! You are sooo lucky. I was in Corbett for a couple of days during New Year's. Got up and four in the morning two days running, drove into dikhala, froze in the cold, but saw no tigers. Saw lots of other wildlife though. Great travelogue.
Ill post some pictures from my trip here - this can become the official Corbett thread!
Reading all the other posts on how difficult it is to sight tigers in Corbett I can only surmise it has to do more with being there in peak summer as other water holes dry up and all wildlife has to come to the river.

Last edited by DKG : 5th May 2008 at 21:07.
Old 6th May 2008, 12:47   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reading all the other posts on how difficult it is to sight tigers in Corbett I can only surmise it has to do more with being there in peak summer as other water holes dry up and all wildlife has to come to the river.
DKG,this makes perfect sense.

and i told the same thing to my brothers as they were thinking that there are not many tigers left in Corbett after hearing from lot of people that they couldnt spot a tiger in 2 days.

so i believe for spotting tigers,summers are perfect
Old 6th May 2008, 14:06   #72
Senior - BHPian

DKG, how did you travel inside dikhala? Canter or Gypsy?
Canter (spelling?) being a converted truck like a Nissan or a Swaraj Mazda with rows of seating arranged like steps. The last being the highest and most uncomfortable.

Last edited by StarScream : 6th May 2008 at 14:09.
Old 6th May 2008, 14:30   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Can I request you to speak with Sumanta Ghosh of Tiger Camp. He will guide you. His number is 0 9719243939, email vanghat@gmail.com
Thanks DKG, will call him up for details
cheers:
Old 6th May 2008, 14:51   #74
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
DKG, how did you travel inside dikhala? Canter or Gypsy?
We used a Gypsy. These seem to be the preferred form of transport. Most Gypsies in Corbett I noticed had both rear seats installed forward facing with two loops of bars which you could hold. This allowed me to actually stand on the rear seat holding onto the bar. Gives you a commanding view, like riding a giant motorbike, or actually like how they felt riding chariots in ancient times , the machine not intruding in your vision of the surroundings at all. The fact that these are petrol vehicles helps as you don't disturb wildlife. We couldn't have tailed the tiger from 70 feet had it been a rattling diesel. The forest cover also adds to the echo and sounds do get amplified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
so i believe for spotting tigers,summers are perfect
From what I am beginning to understand the tiger is an elusive creature, moreso the leopard, and prefers staying away from human contact. They do need to be close to water and after the rains it has plenty of waterholes deep inside forest cover to not have to come out to the river, making sightings all the more difficult post monsoon

Last edited by DKG : 6th May 2008 at 14:53.
Old 7th May 2008, 20:01   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We used a Gypsy. These seem to be the preferred form of transport. Most Gypsies in Corbett I noticed had both rear seats installed forward facing with two loops of bars which you could hold. This allowed me to actually stand on the rear seat holding onto the bar. Gives you a commanding view, like riding a giant motorbike, or actually like how they felt riding chariots in ancient times, the machine not intruding in your vision of the surroundings at all. The fact that these are petrol vehicles helps as you don't disturb wildlife. We couldn't have tailed the tiger from 70 feet had it been a rattling diesel. The forest cover also adds to the echo and sounds do get amplified.
The reason I asked was because our resort - Riverside, I think it was - told us you can only use a Gypsy to go inside dhikala if you are staying in dhikala. So we didn't have a choice but to use the nasty diesel canter. Seems Riverside was lying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks