Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

You did not disappoint, Sam! Very, very enjoyable story, written like a real tale should be told! Waiting for the rest.

I'd second Khaadu75. You should quit and go into writing full-time. The world is really not getting its due from you.

BTW, are you sure the Scorpion actually survived after stinging the Yeti thrice?
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:49   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
...and how is he going to pay his bills? :-) LOL.
By getting paid for writing ... ;-) !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
For someone who doesn't say much in the first place, you've pretty much said it all. I know this thread is probably not the place for this OT discussion, but I don't have the courage to do this. Not yet.

I am in a very successful position in life. Selling JBL ka Baajas, lol. It will take a lot of courage to give up a successful professional life and live a dream. I do not have it YET, but I suspect one day it will.

Don't forget that many of my travels and abilities to travel come from my job. Many travelogues are written while JBL pays for my ticket. Take Budapest and the South of France, for example.
Also, staying in exotic locations needs finances man, lol.

Ironic that I'm the one who runs around trying to spread the YetiLife®, but I don't have the courage to follow my dream just yet.

But I will. I will. And till then I will travel, write and live the Yetilife with TheOne®.

Who knows, maybe someday you guys will talk of the unknown almost-a-writer you knew. Hey, I knew him, he was almost-a-writer!
Agreed that selling Baaja equipment allowed you to travel to all teh exotic places but now that you know you can write well , u don't need the Baaja company to pay for the bills -- also after a time one either follows his heart or his head . Right now its the head - when its the heart then one doesn't see the materialistic aspects of life . You just enjoy what you do ... ! Its a BIG call to take but one that definitely will keep the yeti much happier in the long run .

Keep writing ... soon we cud see this forum turn into a www.yeti-blog.com -- !

Cheers

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2008 at 01:46. Reason: tghen = then, cud = could, etc. Please re-read your posts before posting.
Old 3rd May 2008, 11:29   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® February 1999 - continued

We reach the settlement. Haji is there and very very concerned about my well-bring. It is his jeep that has brought everyone else to this settlement, an hour away from the dunes. (We came on camelback, remember?)

Without much ado, the 4 of us climb into his Jeep. Haji is driving full speed ahead. He has a compass that he uses for direction. Obviously there are no roads as such.
We are now 60kms away from Jaisalmer public hospital, which is our destination.

This Jeep is quite large. The seats are like benches. One bench in the front and 2 benches facing each other in the back.
The ladies are on the front seat with Haji. I'm kind of lying down on one of the rear seats. Dom is holding me so I don't fall. The Jeep is rolling and yawing. Haji is driving the wheels off it, flinging it over sand and shrub, driving as fast as the rattly engine will go.

This is far more uncomfortable than the camel.

I'm going to be sick.
Here mate
says Dom, be sick in this.
He offers me an icebox. When I look inside it is full of beer. I cannot puke on top of the beer. I look up helplessly. He's a man, he understands.

No choice Sam, this jeep has no windows on the sides and you can't stick your head out the back, you might fall off. And we can't stop either.
Go ahead, be sick.

Bwuaaaahhh.
God, this is awful. Good beer wasted like this.

Dom is holding me, patting my back, comforting me, talking to me. Strangely he sounds a bit Australian to me. Is this how they talk in Nottingham? The ladies are looking at me all worried. Haji is staring at the windscreen, occasionally peering at his compass, full speed ahead.

I am sleepy, maybe some sleep wil do me good. I realise that Dom is often having to repeat what he is saying to me. I also realise that he is talking to me, trying to keep me awake. Time is passing by. Life is so strange. Here I am sprawled out in a Jeep, possibly dying - with an Englishman holding me to my funny seat with both his hands and talking me very loudly about - what is he asking? My favourite Rock band? Is he crazy? It's Black Sabbath with Ozzy of course! The best thing to come out of Birmingham since Chicken Tikka masala!

Haji is driving and driving.

Suddenly he slows down and I can hear a click-click sound from his foot. I am doing my best to pay attention to the sounds around me, because I am feeling very very sleepy. My mind is not working well, but I can feel the jeep slowing down.

The Jeep slows down and then stops. Haji turns to us. I am sorry but Jeep is spoiled, not moving anymore. I will do something.

Dom leaves me lying down and rushes out with haji to the front. They are talking with the bonnet open. The ladies get off and get to the rear of the Jeep. I am lying down on the seat with my eyes closed.
I try listening to the sounds around me. it is quiet. No crickets, no birds, no night creatures. We are neither near the campsite, nor near Jaisalmer.
Stuck in the desert in the middle of nowhere.

I can hear someone crying. That reminds me that I could be dying.

My eyes are shut and I am thinking of my home. My Dad. My head is swimming and now I can hear children too. Children? There are no kids here.
I've done enough nonsense in my life to know that I am hallucinating now. I open my eyes and think.
So now obviously any moment now my life is going to start flashing before my eyes. And I do not want it to really.

In between the conversations of the 4 people around me I realise that the silence is deafening. Painful even. I am straining to hear some sounds of the night, anything. Nothing.

God I wish I had some music.

I am now weeping. I do not know why, but I can feel the tears dropping down my face. I am thinking of my father and my friends and my life. I don't really want to die just yet.

I am turning slightly pathetic. I realise that even if I do die, I want to go out nicely. Strongly. In style!!
OK Sam. I raise myself slightly and look around. I want to sit. The ladies help me sit up and peer into my face. I nod slightly to show I'm OK.

What's wrong with the jeep? I whisper.

The accelerator cable is broken.

To Be Continued.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 3rd May 2008 at 11:36.
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:17   #49
Senior - BHPian

Sam,

Last warning - if you do not finish this story in one go now - I will not allow you to write any more
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:18   #50
BHPian

Sam bhai, we all can understand that you are enjoying your professional life and you do not want to leave it right now, but ... pretty please... do publish all these travel tales. You can continue to write as a hobby. Not to rake in the moolah. Man, you're better than awesome. Not even episodes of ekta kapoor's serials would have stopped in such crucial places (hate those serials anyways ).

You really got to think seriously about it buddy. You are a budding writer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Sam,

Last warning - if you do not finish this story in one go now - I will not allow you to write any more
Nahiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:35   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sam,

This is blackmail, lol. You cannot force this story out of me. Patience my friend. Sabr ka phal and all that jazz.
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sam,

Thats why I always read the Yeti blogs after they're complete. Takes a LOT of reading, but I dislike the suspense
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

Sam, Sabr ka phal thrilling hota hai?

Ironically, we are having entertainment out of the pain thatSam had to go through!

But please Sam, make it fast

You can excel in any kind of writing Sam; be it romantic, comedy or suspense.

Last edited by safari_lover : 3rd May 2008 at 13:52.
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:51   #54
BHPian

Sam, don't do this man.. please.. finish the story.. (taps his foot)

you know, I don't read... no, seriously. I don't read at all!
but maybe, just maybe, I might begin reading after I read "Tales of the YetiLife!"

Last edited by shrivz : 3rd May 2008 at 13:54.
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:55   #55
Senior - BHPian

The sucking part was fun . Great writing as usual.
Old 3rd May 2008, 14:01   #56
Joz
BHPian

Awesome stuff Sam.

If you hadn't mentioned the hero was none but you, I would have imagined 'declared dead on arrival' ending!! The best part is, we know you survived, yet the suspense is killing!
Old 3rd May 2008, 14:03   #57
BHPian

SAM..buddy, guide, philosopher...ur the Man!

Phenomenal writeup

Elito
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:00   #58
BHPian

man thats deep .. i realize you get the desired effect with these breaks in between .. but then c'mon man keep it going now .. you write really well .. the intensity is real .. feels like i'm there .. back at that moment with you .. you got skills man ..
Old 3rd May 2008, 17:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
"Tales of the YetiLife!"
There is the name of your 1st book Sam - YetiTales
Old 3rd May 2008, 17:51   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn it!

He's just practising his cliff-hanger technique on us!

And doing pretty well at it, too! As with any good book (and this internet addict finds Sam's writing a different experience to the rest of my net day, because it is more like reading a book) I'm hoping it isn't going to end with the next episode!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks