Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 13:53   #46
BHPian

Hi,

Would it be better to reach Madurai from Trichy via Dindigul or Via mellur? I am planning for a trip to Nagercoil week after next. When I travelled in October few stretches of the road (Trichy to Madurai via melur) were WIP
Old 8th December 2009, 14:04   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
1) When coming from Dindugal to Tirunelveli, the new road completely bye-passes Madurai and Tirumangalam. This is a brand new road!. Earlier Tirumangalam used to be a heavily congested town. Now we can fly-over Tirumangalam! Also Kodairoad, Vadipatti are bye-passed making the 200 kms drive from Dindugal to Tirunelveli completely 4-lane except for some minor work still going on. (Earlier I used to take the Cholavandan route from Tirumangalam to avoid Madurai, now not needed).

It is like magic! many hours are saved by bye-passing Tirumangalam, Madurai, Vadipatti, kodairoad etc., which did not exist around a year back.
Hi Manim, Thank you so much for the update. I am driving from Bangalore to Tuticorin and will be driving through Dindugal route only. I always used to take the sholavandan route to avoid Madurai. Now that this bypass road is complete, it makes things lot easier for us

I will exit 4-lane at kovilpatti and then take the Ettayapuram-Tuticorin route. How are the roads from Ettayapuram to Tuticorin? I heard 4-laning is going on. But I guess it should be drivable right?
Old 8th December 2009, 14:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Watch out for the few flyovers under construction between Madurai and Tirunelveli. The one at Kayathar is especially bad and you are rerouted through some bad 2-lane roads and a level crossing.
Old 8th December 2009, 14:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Hotel Janikaram is one good option at Tirunelveli. Should take 8-11 hrs depending on your travel break choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post

Keep an eye on the wrong side traffic, the morons would come at full speed on the right lane. Its advisable to always keep to your left.
@Surprise and @Moonraker - Thanks for your advice and recommendation.

Regards

Sateesh
Old 8th December 2009, 16:28   #50
BHPian

Kovilpatti-Ettayapuram-Tuticorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
I will exit 4-lane at kovilpatti and then take the Ettayapuram-Tuticorin route. How are the roads from Ettayapuram to Tuticorin? I heard 4-laning is going on. But I guess it should be drivable right?
Just drove Kovilpatti-Ettayapuram-Tuticorin yesterday!

Kovilpatti-Ettayapuram is slightly bad but tolerable.

Ettayapuram-Tuticorin - since 4-laning is going on at full swing very bad and extremely irritating to drive. And with the continous stream of lorries and containers from Tuticorin port, it becomes hellish during certain timings like the evenings.
Old 8th December 2009, 16:39   #51
BHPian

Hi manim, Thanks for the update. Too bad I will be driving the Ettayapuram -Tuticorin stretch in the evening when you said the container traffic peaks.
Old 10th December 2009, 10:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Recently Visited Madurai by road in a Ritz. The roads are very good. Started at 4 am in Velachery and reached Tirumangalam 20kms beyond Madurai at 12.00 Noon. The toll gate charges were Rs 285.
Old 10th December 2009, 11:21   #53
BHPian

Madurai-Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Recently Visited Madurai by road in a Ritz. The roads are very good. Started at 4 am in Velachery and reached Tirumangalam 20kms beyond Madurai at 12.00 Noon. The toll gate charges were Rs 285.
Great to hear it since I am planning for a drive to Chennai from Tuticorin soon.
For the Trichy-Madurai, did you take the Melur-road or through Dindugal?
If Melur, is it fully 4-lane ?
Also is Trichy-Villupuram-Chennai fully 4-lane?

I had done this drive six years back and Chengulpat-Chennai alone was 4-lane then!
Old 4th August 2010, 00:03   #54
BHPian

:)

Planing a trip down to Kalakad the end of this month or early next month. Will be starting around 5 - 6 am and plan to reach destination before 8:00 pm. Car: Indicab that went pvt. Driver : me, Passengers, self, Dad, Neph, one or two huge canine friends. Steady sane speed of about 80 - 100. limited breaks. I have done this segment years back, Any recent feedback would be welcome. I don't enjoy night drives if i travel with passengers. ( atleast of olderage or kids or women and ofcourse our loving canines). I plan a quick breakfast and lunch break with a few very short t-breaks. Thats about it. I would like to do Tirunelveli in 10 hrs max with all this. Possible? Best routes?

BTW, is there some one that knows a dealer for Kabsons in chennai?

ty
Old 7th August 2010, 08:53   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Planing a trip down to Kalakad the end of this month or early next month. Will be starting around 5 - 6 am and plan to reach destination before 8:00 pm. Car: Indicab that went pvt. Driver : me, Passengers, self, Dad, Neph, one or two huge canine friends. Steady sane speed of about 80 - 100. limited breaks. I have done this segment years back, Any recent feedback would be welcome. I don't enjoy night drives if i travel with passengers. ( atleast of olderage or kids or women and ofcourse our loving canines). I plan a quick breakfast and lunch break with a few very short t-breaks. Thats about it. I would like to do Tirunelveli in 10 hrs max with all this. Possible? Best routes?

BTW, is there some one that knows a dealer for Kabsons in chennai?

ty
Road is beautiful all the way.
Road till Trichy is superb.
trichy bypass is complete.
At Trichy, do not take the NH45 via Dindigul, go by the Trichy-Viralimalai-Madurai road.
Note to take the Madurai bypass.
Madurai bypass is good.
From Madurai onwards, the 4-laner gets even better.

No problems anywhere on the route. You could do it faster too. If you leave early morning, you could be in Kalakad instead of stopping over at T'veli.
Old 16th August 2010, 00:43   #56
BHPian

Ty!

Thanks Kumar!

There is a slight change of plan, I was to make a trip to Arimalam near Pudukottai (one all day trip from Chennai) and then make the Tirunelveli trip, due to time constraints, I would like to combine the two instead of two trips. I would have to attend a wedding in Arimalam. Passengers would be just my dad, my nephew and a friend of mine. ( no pets :( ). I would be the only one to do the driving and since my dad comes along I would like to maintain steady slower speeds ( 90 - 110 max). Is there are a road to Arimalam without touching Karaikudi? I thought there was a deviation from Pudukottai to Aranthangi that leads to Arimalam. I have passed through most of the mentioned roads atleast once if not as frequent in every few months. But I've not traveled on these roads in years. Not that i expect a sea of chance on the road conditions, but I suspect the increase in traffic on these roads.

Post wedding ( by 1:00 pm) I would ideally like to continue to T'veli ( is there a decent route to Madurai or connecting Melur which doesn’t require one going back to Pudukottai or Trichy? What are the best options?

Thanks in advance!

Aj [FONT=Wingdings][/FONT]
Old 16th August 2010, 10:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

I think it best you return from Arimalam to Pudukottai and goon the road to Madurai via Melur so that you can connect with the NH7. Theoretically, you can go via Sivaganga to Viridhunagar on NH7, but I don't think that is a substitute to being on the smooth and fast 4-laned roads of NH7. Many of the roads around Karaikudi have been known to be bad, so it is best you avoid the interior roads since you don;t stand to save too many kilometers anyway.

Therefore, I would take the following route:
Arimalam-Pudukottai-Tirupattur-Melur-Madurai-Tirunelveli, which will be approximately 310 kms. That is going to a drive that will last you at least 6-8 hours.

I think there should be a direct road from Arimalam to Tirupattur without going back to Pudukottai - you could find that out locally - which should save you over an hour or two in time (go directly to Tirupattur without returning to Pudukottai).
Old 21st August 2010, 21:32   #58
BHPian

Ty Kumar!

Thanks again Kumar. As of now I am not sure if I will be making the trip as something new has cropped up . Will update if I get to make the trip!

Aj
Old 21st August 2010, 21:58   #59
Team-BHP Support

@HVK,

By the way what is status of Nh226 and 210? Tanjore/Manamaurai) and (Trichy/Ramnad)?

How is the traffic on these stretches? Never heard much about these stretches.
Though expected lot of Chennai traffic towards Rameshwaram.

Also what is the 4L status of Madurai Tuticorin? I know Madurai-Trichy is all done.

Last edited by ampere : 21st August 2010 at 22:00.
Old 21st August 2010, 22:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@HVK,

By the way what is status of Nh226 and 210? Tanjore/Manamaurai) and (Trichy/Ramnad)?

How is the traffic on these stretches? Never heard much about these stretches.
Though expected lot of Chennai traffic towards Rameshwaram.

Also what is the 4L status of Madurai Tuticorin? I know Madurai-Trichy is all done.
NH210 is a busy road. connecting Pudukottai and Karaikudi, both which see good bus traffic. Traditionally, roads around Pudukottai and Karaikudi have been bad, but I believe now that the road widening exercise is complete, the road from Karaikudi to Ramanathapuram via Devapattinam is good. However, I have no current update. Traffic going from Chennai to Rameswaram may find this route shortest to Rameswaram, but considering the excellent Trichy-Rameswaram road, maybe it is faster to connect with NH49 at Madurai.

As for NH226, I have no idea at all, never driven on it.

No update on the Madurai-Tuticorin road either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks