Team-BHP - Bangalore-Hogenakkal Falls and back - 1 day trip
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Bangalore-Hogenakkal Falls and back - 1 day trip (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/39284-bangalore-hogenakkal-falls-back-1-day-trip.html)

BANGALORE-HOGENAKKAL FALLS-BANGALORE

Date Travelled: 03.05.2008 (Saturday)
Members in Ford Ikon: Me, Wifey, two kids.
Fuel: HP normal – Full Tank - Tanked up in morning of 3rd.
Tyre pressure: 32 psi (front & back).
Comfort of vehicle: Good.
Maps followed: Nil. But followed advice of T-BHPians in their travalogues.
Photographs: Attached.
Total kms travelled : (To & Fro) : 432.
AC: 75%.
Driven by: Me.
Mileage: 17~18kmpl (Approx). I myself was surprised about this.
Fuel left in Tank: Approx. ½ tank.
Average distance covered/hr: 46 kmph while going and 54 kmph while returning.

Route taken: Home-Nice Road (upto Bannerghatta Road)-Bannerghatta-Jigani-Attibele-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharampuri-Hogenakkal and coming back was also in same route in reverse direction.

Travelogue (A detailed one): Had taken leave on 2nd May so that it will become a continuous 4 days holiday. I was supposed to leave on 1st May and was venturing of going out to Munnar earlier. Called up many hotels but could not get the bookings. Then tried Yercaud. No luck. All hotels are full again. Then planned for Chickmaglur. But my daughter feel ill on 30/04. Hence cancelled the tour. Then thought of making the one day trip to Hogenakkal falls on 3rd if everything is OK. So went my plan.

On 3rd May 2008, got up at 6.30 am. Had bath and finished other chores. My kids, wife were ready to leave at 8.15 am. (Earlier thought of leaving my house at 7.00 am. But could not adhere to it (as usual). The idea was to reach Hogenakkal by 12.00 pm stay there upto 4.00 and then start return journey). Went to my in laws place and collected the food items that were packed and kept ready (for lunch). Ultimately we were off to our journey at 8.45 am. Went straight into Bangalore University–Kengeri ring road-Mysore road and then reached NICE road. This road is a pleasant to drive with. Within no time reached the Bannerghatta road and then took right towards Bannerghatta. After reaching Bannerghatta, then took the left turn towards Jigani and then to Hosur road. The idea was to avoid the mad traffic on Hosur road upto E.City. Though the distance is little far, it was worth this. After touching Hosur road near Bommsandra, the traffic jam started in Attibele as it was “Saturday Santhe”. Crossed Hosur overbridge and then stopped for b/fast at around 11.00 am in Hotel Udupi uphar. Stopped for around ½ hour and again proceeded towards Krishnagiri. The road is very good till Krishnagiri. Paid the toll charges of Rs.40 for to and fro journey as I was returning in evening. Then the problem of one way started. Lots of diversions as the NH7 is under construction. I lost the major time here as the truck/ private vehicles traffic here was too much. Reached Dharampuri around 1.00 pm. Took the left turn towards Hogenakkal. They have put up the board at the circle itself giving us directions. The Hogenakkal from this place was 46 kms. It is a straight drive even tough you get many circles in between, you have to keep on going straight. Covered the distance within 45 mins. Reached Hogenakkal at 1.45 pm. Time taken including stop for b/fast: 5 hours. Average speed – 46 kmph.

Saw a couple of accidents. One in between K’giri and D’puri where in two lorries collided head on. No major damages to lorries. Another was on Hogenakkal road a Indica and an Esteem. It was also a head on collusion. The Indica was very badly damaged and blood stains was spread on the vehicle. The damage to Esteem was not much. Hope the drivers and others in cars were safe. If not, may their souls RIP.

Then started the collection part. First at entrance I shelled out Rs.20 as entry fee into hogenakal, then entry into book of forest range Rs.10 (for forest guard, I feel it is bribe), then after entering Hogenakkal, parking fee Rs.20. This parking fee is for parking on roads. Then again a parking fee of Rs.15 in TNTDC compound.

The coracle person caught up with me at the entrance itself. The coracle person informed that he will charge Rs.400 for a full coracle as we were only 2 persons (with 2 kids) and per head charges will not apply. After due negotiating, he informed it will be Rs.250 only for ride for one hour. Said OK and started the ride. Again fee for ride in coracle Rs.15 to be paid to some agent. But gave a receipt. I asked why is it. He informed it is for the charges of coracle. During the starting of coracle ride, the person took us in his coracle under water falls and we were all wet by the falling water and it was a nice experience. Continuing my ride, he informed after all this travelling and since it is once in a while journey, usually people will come here and spend some where around 3~4 hours seeing around the place and enjoy playing in the water. He somehow convinced my wife and kids for having playing in water. He told for waiting charges it will be another Rs.100 extra. (I think this was the main reason as he wanted to make Rs.400 somehow with this trip). We informed OK as we did not want to negotiate. As they are also earning through this, hence Rs.50 or Rs.100 will not matter anyways, as we will be spending quite a sum of money for petrol and other things while on journey. Coming back to travelogue, he took us to an island where lots of other people were also playing around in river. It’s a 15 mins ride in coracle. My kids enjoyed very much seeing falls, ride in coracle (by keeping the hands in water and playing) and bathing in river. The heat was unbearable. I assume the temperature would be around 40 deg C. After playing in river, and a bit of relaxation in one of the tents (stalls) as we were dead tired, started from that place (island) around 4.15 pm. Again a ride in coracle for around 15 mins and we were back where we boarded the coracle. Drank Lemon Soda with ice which cooled us off. Then ate cucumber as it is good during heat which cools us off.

Came back to our parking place around 4.45pm. Then one major problem started. My car key (remote lock-autocop) was in my pocket where some water had come inside the coracle and the water had gone inside the keys. While I tried to open up the car using the remote locking, it did not work and the locks did not open up as water had gone inside the keys. Opened the FR RH door manually and suddenly the buzzer started hooting. Tried to switch it off by putting the keys into key****. (It used to stop when I had WagonR previously). The same by removing the wire in the hood. But could not find the same. Then again locked up all the doors and the hooter stopped. The doors were still unlocked. I opened the door and then inserted the keys into the key****. Started the car and then started driving back. On 04/05/08, sunday I kept the auto lock keys in the sun (in my house) for about 4 hours in afternoon and the key had started to work again normally. What a way to get the keys to work again. Hahaha. Very primitive way of heating the water logged key though.

Back to travelogue, we stopped in some shaded place in forest to have our lunch which we had taken from Bangalore (oops late lunch). By the time we finished and started again towards Bangalore it was 5.15 pm. Reached Dharampuri by 6.00 pm. My target was to cross the diversions near to Krisnagiri before dark and rightly I did so. Reached the Krishnagiri toll gate by 7.00 pm and reached Hosur by 8.00 pm. At this time and on Saturday, I felt, the traffic on hosur road will be too much and decided to take back the same route which I went in morning. Reached Bommasandra at 8.25 pm and took the same route in reverse direction i.e., Jigani-Bannerghatta-Nice road-Home at 9.45 pm. This was a non-stop drive and the total driving time was 4.30 hrs for 232 kms. Average-54 kmph.

My advice to people is the heat is too much right now. Try to avoid this till May end. If you want to go, take some caps and other items to make yourself more comfortable during heat. The water falls during July/August will be a scene to watch. There are not much of water falls right now. Only in few selected places. But during monsoon, the scenery and falls will be very good.

Here are some of the pics taken during our trip. Hope you enjoyed the travelogue. Thanks for reading.

Nice trip :thumbs up.
Looks like Ikon gives good mileage after wax treatment :).

Hmm i suppose its your second trip recently, though i know the earlier one was on a chevy. Nice pics and write up too and certainly this place is a must visit and after seeing your's and earlier ..riju's travelogues the urge to go is on the increase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabloo (Post 820294)
Nice trip :thumbs up.
Looks like Ikon gives good mileage after wax treatment :).

Thanks. I'am puzzled here. What does wax treatment have to do with mileage... Ummm, you are co-relating to my polish of car body to mileage. lol:

Nice write up! I will add Hognekkal to my must-visit list!!! :)

Nice write up. The Ikon is giving good mileage.

Good pictures. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Waxing the car definitely improves mileage, since it reduces air drag. However, it will be negilgible. Your engine is probably tuned optimally

Nice writeup with great pictures. Pleasure to see there is good amount of water in summer!

Ravi.

Nice fotos. Lot of water for this time of the year. But it would be extremely hot there now. The Rs. 20/- is for parking in the parking place next to the bus-stand.

Rs. 250/- for the coracle ride ??? We paid Rs. 40/- per person. I actually remember some people paying 800/- bucks. The trick is not to get hold of a coracle guy in the road but to go near the falls and then haggle with them. There are a few reasonable fellows still left and if you are happy with the service you can tip them off. We tipped our guy another 50 bucks when we left.

Yes, you have to be careful with the auto lock keys. I had them wrapped in a plastic carrybag. With the immobilizer in it there was no way I would be able to start the car. :-)

Nice pics.
There seems to be good water flow though it is summer.
Awesome write-up.

Good Pictures and nice write ups.
Man, whatever you do, I think people are going to link it to your Wax Coating :)

Good advertisement though!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK (Post 820297)
Hmm i suppose its your second trip recently, though i know the earlier one was on a chevy. Nice pics and write up too and certainly this place is a must visit and after seeing your's and earlier ..riju's travelogues the urge to go is on the increase.

Nope. I never owned a chevy. But thanks for above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy_lover (Post 820313)
Nice write up! I will add Hognekkal to my must-visit list!!! :)

You have to visit during July-August. The falls will be fantastic at that time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatienceWins (Post 820317)
Nice write up. The Ikon is giving good mileage.

thanks. Even I was amazed by this though I used ac only for 75% of my journey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep (Post 820392)
Good pictures. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Waxing the car definitely improves mileage, since it reduces air drag. However, it will be negilgible. Your engine is probably tuned optimally

Thanks. Yeah I do hope so. But the drive inside city will fetch me around 10~12 kmpl with 80% ac.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravibhat (Post 820396)
Nice writeup with great pictures. Pleasure to see there is good amount of water in summer! Ravi.

Thanks. Yeah the water is OK now. But if it is rainly season, then the water level will come very near to the top of the rocks you see in pics. At that time TTDC will not allow coracle rides. Only when the water recides to around half level of rocks (at present), the coracle rides are allowed. Presently there are around 16~20 falls. But during season, we can see up to 60 falls in aand around this place. This was told to us by the coracle person we need to believe him as he is a local guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by csentil (Post 820448)
Nice fotos. Lot of water for this time of the year. But it would be extremely hot there now. The Rs. 20/- is for parking in the parking place next to the bus-stand.

Rs. 250/- for the coracle ride ??? We paid Rs. 40/- per person. I actually remember some people paying 800/- bucks. The trick is not to get hold of a coracle guy in the road but to go near the falls and then haggle with them. There are a few reasonable fellows still left and if you are happy with the service you can tip them off. We tipped our guy another 50 bucks when we left.

Yes, you have to be careful with the auto lock keys. I had them wrapped in a plastic carrybag. With the immobilizer in it there was no way I would be able to start the car. :-)

Thanks and will take care during next time if I visit watery place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadguy25 (Post 820477)
Nice pics.
There seems to be good water flow though it is summer.
Awesome write-up.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 820525)
Good Pictures and nice write ups.
Man, whatever you do, I think people are going to link it to your Wax Coating :)

Good advertisement though!!!

Thanks. Yeah, the ghost of wax will continue to haunt me in this forum I think.:)

snaronikar ... there is there no tension in the border or at the site itself ? Dint you get weird looks at that side ...looking at your car number plate or as such ? . Has the tension eased off ?

A good travelogue and some fantastic snaps..
I am yet to visit the place and your post would be very much handy for me:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by black12rr (Post 820588)
snaronikar ... there is there no tension in the border or at the site itself ? Dint you get weird looks at that side ...looking at your car number plate or as such ? . Has the tension eased off ?

Nope. No tensions as of now nor there was any staring on us. I spoke to the coracle person in kannada itself and he replied back in kannada. As it is to the border of TN & Karnataka, the locals know both the languages. :)

I feel the tension is created by politicians. Now both the states are calm, there is no problem as of now. Once the elected govt comes to karnataka, then I feel the tensions will start again. Better is to visit before this happens or wait till all things are sorted out and then visit this place.