Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2008, 22:24   #1
BHPian

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor

Hello All,

Our First long trip in the King ( Safari 2.2 )

Summary:

Total Kms Travelled : 1200Kms
Total Diesel : Normal Diesel 100Ltrs ( Approx ) 87 Ltrs in Indian oil & 13 Ltrs in BP.
Mileage : 12kms ( approx ) Always AC ON at level 2 & Including Ghat section.
Places Covered : Dharmastala, Kukke subramanya, Murudeshwar, Idgunji Ganesha Temple.
Dates Travelled : May 1st - May 4th
Roads Condition : Most of the roads are good, except 2-3 kms in Shiradi Ghats & Suratkal
Route Travelled : Bangalore to Dharmastala, Dharmastala to Kukke Subramanya, Kukke to Murudeshwar, Murudeshwar to Idugunji,Idugunji to Bangalore(via Honnavar, Sagar, Shimoga).
Plans before the trip : Nothing.
People Travelled : Me, Wife, Kid, Mother, Brother(gowda79),Cousin,Aunt & her Kid.(plus Luggage)
Difficulty faced : Need of Luggage Carrier, Short Filling of Fuel
Overall Driving - Myself 25% & Bro 75%
Top Speed -140Kph
Camera : Sony Alpha 100

RELY ON IOC PETROL PUMPS FOR GOOD MILEAGE

Day 1: We stay near Shankarmutt ( Basaveshwarnagar ). Left residence around 11am on 1st May and took the road towards Tumkur. We had crossed RNS Motors & started moving towards Jalahalli Circle, then we realise we have forgotten the Camera ( result of not planning ). We take a left near Jalahalli Circle & reach Ring road & before second bridge if you take left, you will reach Shankarmutt. We collected the camera & left
around 11:30am.

Our journey started & we filled our King in IOC ( Trinity Service Station ) just before the Nelamangala By Pass at 12pm.( The owner of the Bunk drives a 5 or 7 Series BMW ). We always use this bunk if we are travelling on Tumkur Road, we can rely on this bunk for Purity & Quantity. Journey continues after filling the king, took a left on Nelamangala By Pass and Started towards Hassan, We reached Channarayapatna around 2PM (with a small incident on the way Courtesy KSRTC Driver, while we were overtaking the KSRTC @120 when we reached half the bus he suddenly pulls towards right to overtake the lorry in front of him and we had to do Off Road Driving to save from hitting the bus and thanks to ABS for keeping vehicle stable and to the Off Road capabilities of THE KING), its time for our First Break & planned for Kamat Yatri Nivas just before Hassan. Approx after 140kms from Bangalore we get Kamat.The time we reached Kamat it was 2.15pm. We had taken 2hrs to travel 120kms (approx), top speed travelled was 120-130km/hr.
Lunch Break: The lunch break prolonged for around 45mins - 1hr as the kids wanted to play in playground of Kamat.

Further Ahead: Left Kamat around 3PM & proceeded towards Hassan & Sakleshpur. Before reaching Hassan, we took the by pass & avoided the city tour of Hassan. The By Pass is not in good shape, but everything is fine for the King; it does not make any difference to it.
It was around 3:50PM & meter reading 200kms ( Trip meter was zeroed from IOC Bunk ) when we reached Sakleshpur.Till Sakleshpur the driving was done by my brother( Gowda79 - His Team BHP ID ). By now my jealousness had increased, being an elder brother I took the advantage
& told him to get down of the driving seat & now i took the steering. You are never tired when driving a Safari. Around 4:15pm we touch the Shiradi Ghats. The road is a newly layed one, except in couple of turns the work is still in progress. Approx around 2-3kms is still under construction. Shiradi Ghats will be officially opened for everyone from 1st June 08. Around 5.30pm we reached our first destination Dharmastala & the meter was reading 282kms. I got down to search for a room, within 2mins i started sweating, its really very Hot in these places.

We got an AC accomodation at Rs 700/room & we took 2 rooms. Everybody got fresh & took a walk to the temple. Around 9PM we had the darshan & we had dinner in the temple itself & did some shopping for kids after dinner & reached room by 10:30pm. We planned we will sleep
early (usually we sleep around 1pm in residence). For a change by 11.30pm we all slept with the plan of getting early & leave to Kukke.

Day 2: But by habit, the next morning we were ready only by 9pm. We checked out of room & had breakfast (some idli vada & Chow Chow bath).
Around 10:30pm we left to Kukke & we reached Kukke around 12pm,(60kms from Dharmastala),Our ODO was reading around 350kms & by now we had utilized around 32lts(approx, the meter was showing Half Tank) of diesel. We had darshan & left Kukke around 1:30PM. By now kids had started to pester us that we will leave for our next destination which is their favourite place and that is Murudeshwar.

It was around 1:30pm we thought we will have delayed lunch on the highway & started towards Murudeshwar Via Mangalore. Around 4:30PM we reached Mangalore. The meter reading was 464kms. After reaching Mangalore i called one of my friend & asked for some good hotels for Delayed lunch. We were given choices of Utsav, Janata Delux, TajMahal etc. We freezed on Janata Deluxe for our lunch, the food was finger licking and we do recommend. Around 5:15pm we resumed our journey towards Murudeshwar. Till now its my brother who is still driving from morning, & i have controlled my anger & sitting quietly. In kundapur my brother stopped for a Tea, now its my turn,I skipped my tea & went & sat in the Driver's seat.I had around 60kms to drive :(
Reached Murudeshwar around 9:30PM, checked into the Hotel- RNS Residency which was reserved earlier. The ODO was reading 650Kms. Had Dinner in the restaurant in the same hotel & back to bed.
Note: Lorry & Private bus drivers after Mangalore & before Bhatkal dont know how to drive, please be carefull.

Day 3: All of them ready by 9am, we went to temple & from there to Naveen Hotel for breakfast. After breakfast we all went to the beach & we were out of beach only around 2:30pm. Went back to room got ready to check out. All of us(except kids) skipped lunch due to late breakfast.

Around 4pm we checked out & started toward Idugunji temple. The temple is around 17kms from Murudeshwar. We reached temple around 4:30pm. We had a good darshana as the crowd was not there. We spent some time there & ready to leave. In this enjoyment we had forgotten to feed The King. There was only around 2-3ltrs in the vehicle. When we asked local people they said Petrol bunk in Honnavar or Murudeswar which was around 18kms on both the sides. On the way to Idugunji we had seen a IOC pump near Murudeshwar, we hadn't filled there because some how it was not looking good and thought we will fill up at Honnavar. But we did not want to take chance and instead of going to Honnavar for filling up we went back to Murudeswar and to the same pump(Known devil is better than unknown angel). We filled around 10ltrs thinking of getting a good pump in Honnavar. We reached Honnavar around 6pm, and went into Kamat Executive Inn for a delayed lunch. (Warning: Please dont visit this Hotel, its really bad in service & food, only name executive inn is good). There are couple of other hotels next to kamat which are good. After evening snacks went to fill The King, but for our luck we got only HP Bunk but it was very crowded with lorries and only single pump.

We had around 9-10ltrs in the king & from there we were suppose to travel to Bengaluru through Sagar & Shimoga. From Honnavar, Sagar is around 70kms. We thought 10ltrs is sufficient to reach Sagar & then we will fill it there. This was the first time we were travelling in this route & we dont know how it is.

We started towards Sagar & the route started with a Single lane. Now again i am angry cos my brother is in driving seat from morning. The route to Sagar 70-80% is full of Hill driving, the road is SUPER for adventurous driving with lot of curves and enjoyed the drive but got disturbed due to the Diesel Tension. We had travelled around 40-45kms, we saw our diesel meter, it was showing of having around 3ltrs & still around 25kms to travel. Tension started, i was just crossing my finger to get a diesel pump near by, but no luck. Just around 5kms to Jog falls, we get line of tea shops, we took a small tea break & while chatting with the shop owner we asked about the pump, he said in next couple of kms near Talaguppa we have an pump, uff bit of life came into me. After that shop owner asked if we needed diesel, now i got my full life, in fraction of seconds i told him to get me some 2 ltrs. He got me some 2ltrs at Rs.40/- per ltr. At that moment i was ready to pay whatever price he asks cos I was travelling with my family in forest without sufficient fuel. Again we didn't fill in Talaguppa cos Sagar was only around 10kms from there, Around 9:30pm we reached Sagar & headed to the first pump we got in the city, & it was a BP pump. We asked the pump person if he accepts card, for our luck he says Card only in Shimoga & from there Shimoga is around 70 kms & route is very good. So we filled around 15ltrs & started towards Shimoga. Around 10:15pm, we reached Shimoga & went to the first pump we got & for our luck it was an IOC & he accepted Card. We filled up the king & started searching for a good restaurant.
Somebody guided us to a Hotel named Ashoka ( not the Grand Ashok ), but the hotel was closed at 9:30pm & now it was around 10:45pm. We thought we will try our luck & entered Nehru Road & now our good luck had started & we found Nandini(Yes, the same Nandini chain of hotels). The restaurant was open as couple of Politicians were in the hotel discussing on the election campaign.

Finally we had a good dinner with chicken dish & started our journey towards Bengaluru. The odo was reading around 853kms & Bangalore is around is 280kms & the time was 11:30pm. Now i am happy cos finally i got a chance to sit on the drivers seat. After around 10kms from shimoga on the left you will find a Nandini Milk Factory & they have an outlet which is opened 24hrs. We stopped there to collect some Mysore Pak
& Peda. The roads from shimoga have been relayed & its nice to drive. Somewhere after Bhadravati there was a Police check up due to Elections.After that non stop till Arsikere for a tea break. After or before Arsikere we stopped in a small hotel where KSRTC stops for a tea break & had a cup of tea & washed my face to be fresh. From there our next stop was only at Tumkur Toll gate, we paid around 21rs and started & reached Nelamangala. Till then my brother was sleeping, now i woke him up & said to take over as it was around 3:15am. Around 3:45AM we reached our residence & directly headed to the Bed-NO- i directly went to my laptop to check my score in the IPL FantasyGame on Cricket Next website. After that directly to bed.

By now we had travelled approx around 1200 kms with 100 ltrs of diesel.
In this journey never we were stressed of Driving nor any trouble from vehicle. The vehicle is a beauty to drive.

I am posting couple of pics below, i have lost couple of pics of Shirdi Ghats, but the same was there in the Times of India couple of days back.
Hope you enjoy the travelogue. Sorry if its too long. If anybody needs more info on the route, please mail me back.

Regards
Deepak

Description Of Pics -
1 - 6 -> Shiradi Ghats Pictures
7 - Ganeshji at Kukke
8 - Accident near Udupi
9 - Sunset on the way to Murudeshwar
10 - 13 -> Pictures at Murudeshwar
Attached Thumbnails
Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01734-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01737-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01744-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01746-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01747-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01748-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01756-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01766-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01767-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01779-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01794-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01823-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01824-large.jpg  

Last edited by kdeepakk : 11th May 2008 at 22:30.
Old 11th May 2008, 22:44   #2
BHPian

Pictures Continued

Pictures Continued

1 - 3 -> The King Unleashed
4 - 6 -> SeaView from RNS Residency
Attached Thumbnails
Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01561-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01569-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01577-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01825-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01828-large.jpg  

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru in Safari 2.2L VX Dicor-dsc01830-large.jpg  

Old 11th May 2008, 22:57   #3
BHPian

Mods Please change the title to -

Bengaluru-Dharmastala-Kukke-Murudeshwar-Idugunji-Bengaluru on Tata Safari 2.2L VX Dicor
Old 11th May 2008, 23:57   #4
adc
Senior - BHPian

Nicely written and good pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
Total Diesel : Normal Diesel 100Ltrs ( Approx ) 87 Ltrs in Indian oil & 13 Ltrs in BP.

Mileage : 12kms ( approx ) Always AC ON at level 2 & Including Ghat section.

Do you use System D/STP or it is just plain normal diesel. Any issues with noise, harshness of engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
Till Sakleshpur the driving was done by my brother( Gowda79 - His Team BHP ID ). By now my jealousness had increased, being an elder brother I took the advantage & told him to get down of the driving seat & now i took the steering.

Ah, dont see him [gowda79] nowadays on the forum backing up the Safari . He had a rather straight way of putting out his views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
THE KING - TATA SAFARI RULES MAN
Old 12th May 2008, 09:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good review, about Kamat Hotel in honnavar its bad we don't like it as well. Regarding HP Petrol bunk in Honnavar its excellant bunk thats why mad rush always!

IOC Bunk near Shimoga which except credit card is also good one, excellant quality.

My father told me most of the roads are relaid now around Shimoga. Good to hear about Sjiradi Ghat.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 12th May 2008, 11:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice report there deepak
Gowdre (gowda79) share some of your experience abt the trip dude.
Did a trip to sakleshpur on 10th May.. road till sakleshpur is really good.
Deepak.. Slight correction. The hotel you see in Channarayapatna is not Kamat Yatri nivas, It's Kamat upachaar.

Last edited by sushrutha : 12th May 2008 at 11:21.
Old 12th May 2008, 11:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice report and pics deepak

Abhi
Old 12th May 2008, 11:54   #8
BHPian

good review gowdre ....

good to hear about shiradi ghats, do u think it will be fully ready by june 1st, as scheduled, how much work is left, and hows the road quality now.plz elaborate on this.

regards.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Do you use System D/STP or it is just plain normal diesel. Any issues with noise, harshness of engine?

Ah, dont see him [gowda79] nowadays on the forum backing up the Safari . He had a rather straight way of putting out his views.
We dont use any addictives, its the normal diesel we use & our king is used to it.

Gowda79 is back in Bangalore, Very busy working....
Old 12th May 2008, 13:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
good review gowdre ....

good to hear about shiradi ghats, do u think it will be fully ready by june 1st, as scheduled, how much work is left, and hows the road quality now.plz elaborate on this.

regards.
Shiradi Ghats should be ready by June end, there are lot of people workin on his project. As of now its drivable, no pot holes, everything is covered. Only in turnings the work is going on. They are just laying the concrete slabs in the turnings only, otherwise the road is completely layed.

regards
Deepak
Old 12th May 2008, 14:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Interesting trip, and super pictures.

I remember the road to Kukke Subramanya as being a non-existant road once you turn off the Bangalore-Mangalore Highway... At some places, it was only mud and stones, with the jungle trying to reclaim the road.

Looks like that has been laid too.
Old 12th May 2008, 15:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Interesting trip, and super pictures.

I remember the road to Kukke Subramanya as being a non-existant road once you turn off the Bangalore-Mangalore Highway... At some places, it was only mud and stones, with the jungle trying to reclaim the road.

Looks like that has been laid too.
I am sorry, forgot to update the road to Kukke, Still the mud & stones road exists, they are still under repair. Think it will take another couple of months to lay a new road.
Old 12th May 2008, 16:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Normal Diesel(No Additives)

Was a bit busy in work and travelling abroad.

Did not wanted to quarrel with guys who are a bit j*****s about comfort and capability of The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Nice report there deepak
Gowdre (gowda79) share some of your experience abt the trip dude.
Did a trip to sakleshpur on 10th May.. road till sakleshpur is really good.
Deepak.. Slight correction. The hotel you see in Channarayapatna is not Kamat Yatri nivas, It's Kamat upachaar.
Namaskara Sushrutha, en guru you are a busy man nowadays

[quote=kicksperliter;826930]good review gowdre ....

The Road will be 100% open and you can cruise on this road once it is done.
Old 12th May 2008, 18:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good review and nice pics also. What camera did you use for these?
Old 12th May 2008, 18:58   #15
BHPian

Nice travelogue Deepak. Glad to know that Shiradi Ghat is almost ready. I am planning this route in the near future. How is Mangalore - Murudeshwar road?

"Till now its my brother who is still driving from morning, & i have controlled my anger & sitting quietly. In kundapur my brother stopped for a Tea, now its my turn,I skipped my tea & went & sat in the Driver's seat.I had around 60kms to drive :("

Very funny, enjoyed reading the report. Nice pictures of "The King"

Most Viewed