Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 17:08   #16
BHPian

Thanks! I am assuming with this route, we don't need to go through Anandapuram.

Take Sagar route at the junction before Shimoga, get past Shimoga, take left to Ayanur on to Ripponpet; From there go to Hosanagara and on to Kollur.
Old 24th December 2008, 17:28   #17
BHPian

Got some more info from Adreno - The Rush That Gets You Ahead.

Bangalore(NH-4) >> Tumkur(NH-206) >> Tiptur(NH-206) >> Kadur(NH-206) >> Tarikere(NH-206) >> Bhadravati(NH-06) >> Shimoga (proceed 16kms on sagar road to AYANUR & take left at Ayanur to Ripponpet/Hosanagar) ->> Ripponpet >> Hosanagara >> Nagara >> Take a right to Kollur (via Nagodi Ghat) >>
Old 24th December 2008, 20:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober View Post
Ripponpet -> Hosanagara -> Nagara -> Nagodi -> Kollur
Which ghat section is this?

I had been to Kollur sometime back. On return journey we wanted to come via Kodachadri ghat, but locals advised us that only Jeeps can drive through Kodachadri and we changed our plan.

I wonder if Nagodi - Kollur is Kodachadri ghat or is it some other ghat?
Old 25th December 2008, 18:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post

I had been to Kollur sometime back. On return journey we wanted to come via Kodachadri ghat, but locals advised us that only Jeeps can drive through Kodachadri and we changed our plan.

I wonder if Nagodi - Kollur is Kodachadri ghat or is it some other ghat?
No. For Kudachadri Hills, one would have to take diversion off towards the right side while going from Kollur to Nagodi. I don't think there is any other road leading to Kudachardi, so you would have to come back by this road and then proceed to Nagodi. Yes, the road to Kudachadri is a tough one to navigate. One would need a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I have seen a Prado going uphill with lot of ease while the Jeep in which I was travelling was huffing and puffing!.
Old 7th November 2009, 19:04   #20
BHPian

Hello,

Reopening this thread, which was dormant for close to year! I will be traveling to Kollur and Udupi sometime during the next week - probably towards Thus or so. Needed some route and road condition info:

- I intend to take the route mentioned in this thread and saw it in some others too
Bangalore-> Tumkur-> Tiptur-> Kadur-> Tarikere(NH-206)-> Bhadravati(NH-06)-> Shimoga (proceed 16kms on sagar road to AYANUR & take left at Ayanur to Ripponpet/Hosanagar) ->> Ripponpet >> Hosanagara >> Nagara >> Take a right to Kollur (via Nagodi Ghat)
- I heard from another person about a route via Shikaripura. Anyone knows this route or does Shikaripura also fall in the above route?
- I am largely familiar with the route upto Shimoga. But what is the approx distance from Shimoga to Kollur?
- How bad is the road from Kollur to Udupi? Does it make sense to drive - I'm open to taking the bus if the condition is too bad! Moreover, in the return direction ie Udupi to Blr, what would be the preferred route?
- Lastly, I will be taking my Indica for this trip. Last coupla weeks I hear a slight hissing sound from the rear wheels - it seems the wheel bearings are weak and need to be changed. Is it ok to drive with this condition - I might find it difficult to get the change done during the week.

TIA!

cheers,
Old 7th November 2009, 19:23   #21
BHPian

Hi Royalcruiser,

I am not much familiar with the route from Shimoga to Kollur since i took at different route from sagar via holebagilu when I went in sept. But the route more or less is good is what I know, but do not have a latest report. Kollur to Udipi, road is good till Kundapur and after that the NH is really bad. You will find patch of good road after a stretch of bad ones. So advisable to be very slow in case you are going by your car.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:06   #22
BHPian

Thanks, Indian ranger. I saw your travelogue too, but felt that the route taken by you may be slightly longer, though the road condition might be probably better than the one i intend to take.
One thing with these interior routes, no matter how good the maps are, unless one hears from others first hand about the road condition, it doesnt make too much sense to venture out, especially with elders in the family around
Old 8th November 2009, 11:34   #23
BHPian

I had gone to Hornadu, Kudremukh, Udupi, Kollur and back to Bangalore via Thirtahalli and Shimoga 2 weeks back on my Safari Dicor.
I took the Thirtahalli route, not the Hosnagara. From what I heard the Hosnagara route is in a bad state. The Thirtahalli route is mostly in a good condition except for a few kms of very bad stretch between Shimoga and ThirthaHalli (Road work on) and the occassional pot holes in between. From ThirtaHalli to Nagara road surface is pretty much good (2 lane road). Very little traffic, as in VERY little traffic and population density seems to be pretty low as well. If your car is not in a good shape, and you are stuck on the Shimoga/Kollur route you can have a tough time!
Shimoga -> ThirtaHalli (NH13 till ThirtaHalli) -> Nagara -> Kollur. Shimoga to Kollur through this route was around 140kms.

As Indian Ranger says, the Kollur to Udupi road is REALLY bad after Kundapur. Road is non-exsistent.
From Udupi, you can take the Udupi -> Karkala -> Kudremukh -> Mudigere -> Belur -> Hassan -> Bangalore route. The Mudigere Belur route is very bad. Kudremukh to Mudigere is not great either except for a few stretces which are in good condition, but much better than the Mudigere Belur section.

Get your car fixed would be the right thing to do. Most of the Tata Service guys (Manipal motors) will send a driver to your home/office to pick up your car and drop it back after fixing it. The other route would be Udupi -> Karakala -> Sringeri -> Balehonnur -> Chikmagalur route. HAvent been on this road for a while to tell exact road conditions.
Old 8th November 2009, 17:32   #24
BHPian

Thanks haripg. I guess if the route you took is fine, except for some minor bad stretches, I will very well take that. Also, from Kollur to Udupi, I might just take the bus - cos that stretch as well as the mudigere-kottigehara-belur stretch is equally bad!
Just one question - can i leave early morning from Kollur to Udupi and be back by 1pm? I intend to only have quick darshan in the temple and head back.
The car is fine in all other aspects, except for that slight sound from the rear wheel - anyway, I will make some time and check with the mechanic before heading out.
Old 8th November 2009, 18:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice writeup and pics sbraj, have been wanting to do this trip since a long time, your travelogue will sure help me in making my plans !
Old 8th November 2009, 20:34   #26
BHPian

>Just one question - can i leave early morning from Kollur to Udupi and be back by 1pm? I >intend to only have quick darshan in the temple and head back.
Certainly, if you take the car (And assuming that there is no big rush at Udupi temple). Not sure of the bus timings and schedule to say for sure if you take the bus how long it will take. If you intend to get back to Bangalore, no point in coming back to Kollur again.
Old 25th November 2009, 10:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripg View Post
>Just one question - can i leave early morning from Kollur to Udupi and be back by 1pm? I >intend to only have quick darshan in the temple and head back.
Certainly, if you take the car (And assuming that there is no big rush at Udupi temple). Not sure of the bus timings and schedule to say for sure if you take the bus how long it will take. If you intend to get back to Bangalore, no point in coming back to Kollur again.
Heard from a friend yesterday that the Udupi-Kollur road condition is pretty bad and taxis are not willing to go to Kollur. In that case it is better to take a bus. There are private buses from Kollur to Kundapura/Udupi every 20-30 minutes or so. The private bus stand at Kollur is little outer to the main town.

Considering the road condition, i guess one way journey would take at least 1.5 hours. There is another thread discussing the road condition near Udupi http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ore-udupi.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks