Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2008, 20:56   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Meanwhile, for those interested in the Indianization of TheOne®, her linguistic capabilities always amaze me. She does speak fluent German (of course), English and Spanish - she has already started picking up bits of Hindi.
Come on, it is such a little bit that it is not even worth mentioning it lol. The way you describe it I will have to fear people will address me in Hindi from now on haha.

Quote:
Meanwhile my German is improving a little everyday.
See, now THAT is a lot better than my Hindi. People can actually address you in German and you understand and can often answer.

Quote:
Finally a holiday...
The iPhone predicted heavy rains at Goa, all week.
She was dying for the sun. Like any good firang all she wanted was to lie in the hot Indian sun and get a tan. Even though there was a thunderstorm in Mumbai, she optimistically packed 3 different kinds of Sun Block. One for the Yeti and 2 for her.
Trying on her new bikinis (An unfortunate earlier incident had left her with only the top half of her favourite bikini) and excited by the prospect of another holiday, she had been singing and smiling lots while packing all their things.
Well, I tried to remain optimistic till the end lol. Just imagine, finally I get to go to Goa and it is raining cats and dogs, boohoohoo. By that time I still had a little bit of hope - something that was to fade very soon.

Quote:
I have my iPod, banging away on the imaginary drums and TheOne® is trying to read. She taps me every now and then without looking, an occasional gentle tap on my knee to remind me to stop shaking in this jittery way that bothers her so much. I just cannot sit still. lol.
Btw, is this some strange common Indian habit? I met quite a few people doing this "rhythmic leg dance".

Quote:
It was inexpensive and run well. Away from the regular hotels and just perfect for 3 nights.
It was indeed. I can recommend it to anyone! It was clean, the garden behind it was wonderful (though wet lol), the owners very friendly and the location perfect for us. In Calangute itself but not in the middle of the crazy hustle bustle - in case you go during high season - though still close enough to reach any destination around you within a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Sam,

Now those bottles really look like RED WINE. I was ROFL thinking how will "activa" behave with that drink. Sorry coouldn't help it.
Hahahaha, same here. I was actually watching this procedure with my mouth wide open - I couldn't believe it. When Sam stopped in front of the shop I asked Where will you get petrol here? And he laughed, left me without further explanation and came back with this bottle lol.

Quote:
While I takes a few low light pictures, something strange happens to TheOne®

I want to go for a bike ride.
By yourself?
Yes.
Have you ridden a scooter before?
Something like this, but many years ago.
Go then, don't fall.

And off she goes, round and round the parking lot and then off into the darkness, giggling gleefully. She's having a blast!!
I have a driver's licence that entitles me to drive a lot heavier machines than that scooter lol. A fact he simply does not want to accept
Only because I almost never got the opportunity to ride on bikes again after I passed the examination.
Anyways, yes I was quite enjoying being able to ride myself again - yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
You were lucky to find those cops, I dont think any local would have accompanied you for an hour spenting their time and petrol for free.
No no, a misunderstanding - they only accompanied us for about 5 minutes until we were back on some main road from where it was easy.

Still, really a shame - as I did not really get to see Anjuna beach afterwards anymore. The weather always played a bad game with us that weekend.

Anyhow, I had no clue this was some "drug place" until I read this in Sam's post here. Clever you, Mr. Kapasi! I would not have laughed when the police came over if I had known that. God, what they must have been thinking of us, really! lol

Last edited by TheOne® : 18th June 2008 at 20:57.
Old 18th June 2008, 21:37   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
I dont know what that means. Could someone please enlighten me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
He will explain,give him some time else I shall do it.Sam are you listening?
Arrey ECM Kunal already answered that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaldhami View Post
Kaythiwadi = A person from kathiawad(part of gujarat).
Kathiawar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
on team-bhp, out of 5 threads having highest number of views, 4 are yetiblogs.
on team-bhp, out of 5 threads having highest number of replies, 4 are yetiblogs.
on team-bhp, out of 9 threads having 5 star rating, 3 are yetiblogs.
on team-bhp, out of 25000 members, yetiblog's fan may be thousands.
check it.
sam, are you looking.
Wow, I didn't realise. Thanks for those figures. But in any case Ashish, these are statistics only for the travelogue section, not all of team-bhp. Team-BHP has some great and very popular threads, far more than the ones I write.
Old 18th June 2008, 22:28   #153
Senior - BHPian

sam,
forget about statistic.
yetiblog is indeed popular.

to theone,
your comments at last.
riding scooter like activa in india on rural, narrow, muddy roads that too in rain is really achivement. i still not allow my wife to ride scooter in rain .

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th June 2008 at 02:04. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 19th June 2008, 10:01   #154
Senior - BHPian

Its called the Great Indian Impatience jig.

You can always see this trait on the indian roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
Btw, is this some strange common Indian habit? I met quite a few people doing this "rhythmic leg dance".
Sorry, you need much more than a mere driving licence to drive on the Indian roads.

Do they teach hurdle and obstacle driving in germany without braking or taking the foot off the accelerator.

Quote:
I have a driver's licence that entitles me to drive a lot heavier machines than that scooter lol. A fact he simply does not want to accept

Only because I almost never got the opportunity to ride on bikes again after I passed the examination.
Anyways, yes I was quite enjoying being able to ride myself again - yeah!
Old 19th June 2008, 12:04   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Sorry, you need much more than a mere driving licence to drive on the Indian roads.

Do they teach hurdle and obstacle driving in germany without braking or taking the foot off the accelerator.
Ha, actually they do!
During examination you are obliged to prove that you are able to do that, apart from other tasks like hitting hard on the brakes in full speed, driving without your hands on the handles, doing very tight circles around yourself etc. etc.

Nevertheless, I must admit I would not have driven around in Mumbai like that - this would have been too much for me lol. Goa was just perfect! And a lot of fun, too.
Old 19th June 2008, 13:29   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Wake up woman!!
5 more minutes!
You said that 10 minutes ago!
Can you believe he does this to me every single morning for the mere purpose to have the pleasure that I am up before him? And then I am all ready etc. and he takes forever!!! Men lol.

Quote:
Lesse now Varca. Ah there it is. Ahead of Colva, doesn't look like it's too far away. Calangute to Panjim, Panjim to Margao, Margao to Colva, Colva to Benaulim and there it is.
Alarm bells are ringing in my head. Something isn't quite right. Hadn't we hired a taxi to get to Colva once when I was younger?
I cannot remember.
North Goa-South Goa.... uhhhhhhh
Arrey, you did not share these doubts with me by that time!

Quote:
Jenny looks all red-eyed and is sneezing. I am afraid she's going to be sick. Maybe this was not such a good idea after all.
He was sooooo worried I would get a cold and he would have to tell everyone that I became sick while being with him in Goa

Quote:
Jenny is laughing like a little schoolgirl, everytime she she sees me all bundled up in my US army raincoat. She keeps imagining what this guy will think of 2 tramps who have come to see his property and bursts into peals of laughter.

Of course she is a fine one to laugh, standing there in dark glasses with rainwater on them and that stupid US army raincoat with streaks of Mascara running down her face like some war paint.
We both looked like maniacs lol. I couldn't stop laughing looking at him knowing I was looking exactly the same. And of course, we both noted the puzzled and secret glances by the other people on the streets and in the cafes when they thought we wouldn't see. It was too funny!

Last edited by TheOne® : 19th June 2008 at 13:39.
Old 19th June 2008, 13:41   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Arrey,

Sam, Indianization Seems to be working here
Old 19th June 2008, 19:07   #158
BHPian

Quote:
On my way home I have bought the supplies I need for Irish Coffee. We have a couple of extra strong Irish coffees and relax for a while before we retire.
And that felt like THE BEST Irish Coffee on earth lol.

Quote:
Some hours later, we're warm happy and SIIIIIINGING in the rain, what a GLOOOOOORIOUS feeling (if you know the Gene Kelly song)... heh heh heh, I am singing with passion and really loudly.

... and Jenny is now singing too.
Hahaha, I started with "I'm walking on sunshine OOOOHOOOO" and you were so embarrassed by my slightly wrong ooooohoooooo that you changed to "I'm singing in the rain" lol. Though I thought it would have been no harm in challenging the sun a little to come out. Anyways, the answer was clear: "Life is life"!

Last edited by TheOne® : 19th June 2008 at 19:08.
Old 19th June 2008, 21:57   #159
Senior - BHPian

All the above discussion is fine but where is the rest of the movie...err story ?
Old 19th June 2008, 23:08   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its called the Great Indian Impatience jig.
Jenny,

you might have noticed that in Mumabi rickshaw drivers use this same technique to indicate that they are making left and right turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
All the above discussion is fine but where is the rest of the movie...err story ?
NC! Nahee! I see a Bollywood script in the making! AARGH!
Old 19th June 2008, 23:17   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do that too - all the time. Have been reprimanded by family, friends et all. But I still continue doing it - and Sam can you now please continue ?
Old 20th June 2008, 12:54   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - 8th June 2008 - Sunday! Oh whattaday!!

It’s been a great day so far. We decide to just generally chill out at home. We fiddle and faff around at home, making some coffee and listening to Madonna’s new album Hard Candy.
God, this woman is a veritable chameleon (I’m talking of Madonna) it is so hard to believe that she’s been around for decades. Oh I’m dancing alright.

On and on, on the beat goes

Say what you like
Do what you feel

There’s something very pleasing about the green lawns outside, offset by the white deck chairs. Jenny is sitting on the threshold of the garden and she’s feeding some little cat all my tuna. I’m not terribly fond of Katzen, but just watching her sit there and feed that cat is something that makes me smile a lot.

A YetiHoliday® - TheYeti®, TheOne®, The Activa and a very wet Goa-dsc_0210_thumb.jpg

I take a moment to think about how sorry I will be to return to Bombay. I don’t want to spend more than a moment though, let me enjoy this moment.

How about I show you Fort Aguada?
Come on!

And we’re off, riding the bike past Candolim towards Aguada. She’s riding as usual and I’m taking in the fresh air and tickling and pinching her behind as usual. We stop at a few furniture and antique stores, it’s not so bad but waaay overpriced.

We’re a kilometer away from Aguada, near the Taj Holiday Village. Suddenly she stops at a small gate and there’s a man standing there.

--------------------------------------
Both TheOne® and I love Ayurvedic massages and often we stopped to peek at these little massage places. Some were too obviously touristy (to fool the goras) or too dicey (not decent looking enough)

Apart from this, we had Rs. 1200/- in our pocket. I kept wanting to stop at an ATM (I couldn’t believe HOW many HDFC atms there were in Goa, incredible!) but every time we slowed down, either Jenny would say next one, or I would.

We had almost given up the idea of a massage on this trip.

Unknown to me, her big beautiful eyes were still hunting for a decent looking massage place. I guess she finally found one.
-------------------------------------------------

I am accosted by a large nice sign that says Arya, Kerala Ayurvedic massage centre. At the gate is a tall youg man called Shiva. Judging from his heavy accent, Shiva is obviously from Kerala.
A few friendly words and he invites us in.

Please to just come and see our place. We have ladies for ladies massage also. Pure Ayurvedic remedies…

It’s a old Goan house. We park our scooter (Jenny rides it in and leaves – Sam puts it on the stand)
Honestly, it’s no spa. It is a simple little house, small clean rooms, tiled roof, some oils and lots of literature and a rather smiley girl and another diminutive man.

Business must be low, Shiva is very enthusiastic and starts breaking leaves and making us smell various juices and remedies.

My ungle has big Ayurvedic Hospital in Kerala he says proudly.

We discuss prices and decide to go for it later, after we visit Aguada. Suddenly we hear thunder and the rain comes tearing down. Ah well, it was destined then.

Shiva, we will stay. How long will the treatment take?
Wun-unna-half-our.
Sounds perfect.
But WAIT!
Ich habe nicht geld baby!
She stares wide eyed at me, she had forgotten about the money too.
Shiva I need to get to an ATM first, we don’t have enough money to pay you.
But it is raining.
Yes, I will manage. Why don’t you start with Jennifer’s massage and I’ll get the money.
No. It is OK. You pay later.
Later?
I blink.
Yes, you can come tomorrow no problem. You pay later, you no pay now.
Are you sure?
Yes.
I am staying at calangute, I will give you my mobile number before I go.
It is no problem, you pay tomorrow.

It is at moments like these that I realize what Indian people are made of. Trust can only be repaid with trust.

Shiva has a wonderful personality. He is handsome, tall well-built and deeply progressive. He seems determined to work professionally and looks very excited to have our business. He connects his MP3 player to his little system.
Oh God, think I.
He plays some Moby, some Royksopp, some more Electronica and chill lounge, even some German chill tracks. I am amazed!

I cannot describe Jenny’s experience as she was in another room with the lady. I get naked as is expected and the diminutive man brings me my little thing/thong.
I am asked to sit in peace, absolutely straight while I receive a quick lecture from Shiva on my posture and how I need to sit and stand straight and how this will solve half my life’s health problems.

The diminutive man with long oily hair touches my feet. Hmm. This really seems very solemn. Later, the massage begins on the typical Ayurvedic wooden platform.. Strong and silent, over the next 2 hours I receive the most systematic and mind-bending massage I have ever received in my life. (Please note, I have had MANY massages) during the massage it occurs to me how very solemn and precise this particular massage is. This is no touristy spa massage.
Twice I fall asleep and I am woken up twice by the sound of my own snoring! How very embarrassing.

I could have fallen asleep earlier, but often I can hear giggling and chatting over the music from the next little room. Women I think, mentally shaking my head.
Me, I prefer not to utter a word during my massage, except for the occasional pleasurable grunt or groan.

The diminutive man says nothing, when I look at him he is deeply focused on my body, occasionally flipping back his long oily hair.

He smells very clean, albeit a little of coconut, which is a smell I quite enjoy. The old house smells a little musty and steamy. The rain is strong outside.

SSHHHHHH!

Moby does a song about porcelain. I start drifting in and out of sleep. At the back of my mind somehow I can hear Jenny reciting out the names of her family members to the lady massaging her. How very weird.
I then hear Jenny repeat some words in Malayalam. I must be dreaming. I switch off. Let me enjoy this massage.

He taps me gently, I turn over.

He massages my belly. I suddenly feel the urge to express myself gaseously from the hinterlands.

Oh Lord have mercy, now what?

To be continued.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 20th June 2008 at 13:04.
Old 20th June 2008, 13:10   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Come on, it is such a little bit that it is not even worth mentioning it lol. The way you describe it I will have to fear people will address me in Hindi from now on haha.
Quote:
Absolutely lambuji. Unfortunately TBHP prefer all posts to be in English, if not I suspect Jenny would have already be subject to many a hindi dialogue.

Last edited by navin : 20th June 2008 at 13:22.
Old 20th June 2008, 13:31   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Absolutely lambuji. Unfortunately TBHP prefer all posts to be in English, if not I suspect Jenny would have already be subject to many a hindi dialogue.
Well, the night she left we had a little work related event where she was the chief guest. And she even spoke a few words in hindi as you will see, lol

Actually I'm very proud of the way she is quickly learning and often I make her recite numbers and stuff to people I introduce her to. I can't help myself and she gets really embarrassed and kicks me later.
Chalo beta ek se dus tak gino..

Here you can see

Jenny, aapko India kaisa laga?

See it here.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 20th June 2008 at 13:35.
Old 20th June 2008, 13:38   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jenny, aapko India kaisa laga?[u]
Yes I saw that. He he he. Accha laga! Bahut Accha Laga. She is a sport though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks