Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2008, 22:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA

I was on a business trip to US for 2 weeks in the end of May 2008. Whereever we are, the weekends are for long drive right? So, I planned to take my car and go for a drive. The location I selected was the Santa Cruz beach. Its around an hour drive from my place. I was staying in Sunnyvale. Also, I had my co-worker staying near Capitol and so decided to meet him and then go to beach together.

Now the routes. Googled the route map. Got it printed, and the trip started. It was pretty easy drive.

Take 85-N till you reach exit for 17 to Santacruz.
Take 17 till you reach summit exit.
Take old san jose road to reach my friends place.

The 17 & old san jose road was very scenic. Its on the mountain with lots of windy curves. But you really enjoy those turns on the mountain. Sorry, since I was driving alone in those place I could not capture those beautiful scenes for your eyes.

Just couple of days back they had forest fire near here and I could see the Fire fighters placed still in the location. Also, I saw many boards thanking the Fire fighting guys all along the way. These boards are kept by the residents living in that area.

My friend lives in this excellant place, away from the city life. So calm. He owns a MG and Harleys. Both well maintained.

Then we started to beach. Drove to capitol Mall and went to Star bucks. Had good coffee and started to Beach. Usualy its difficult to get parking in there. So, we decided to park any place we see first. Luckily we had a slot and we parked in there. And other luck was the parking meter still had 15min for expire. So, we can park for free for next 15 min. Anyway, we added some dollars and made it for 2 hrs.

Then we headed towards the beach. I could see people surfing and kid enjoying those beach. East or west, I see same hapiness on peoples face when they play in water.

Over to pictures!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2422.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2423.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2424.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2425.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2426.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2430.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2434.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2435.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2440.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2442.jpg  

Old 13th June 2008, 22:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Contd...
Then sat in the beach and saw 2 kids playing some game. Not sure of the name. They use a pipe and one end has a net to it. They use it to catch and throw the ball. Instead of catching in hand, they use this. Umm... Some game.

There are places for renting the Surf equipments, baords, wet suits etc.

We had a small walk and reached the place where people are present usually for fishing. I could see people renting the boats for fishing. Spend sometime seeing those and walked back to car.

We were hungry by now and so decided to head back to some restarant. Reached Chilli in Capitol mall.

Return was really interesting. I dropped my friend in his home and was heading back. I was following the signs and taking the 85-S. Some how I missed to notice a sign and ended up in wrong lane. Suddenly saw the sign saying "Right lane MUST exit" and took that exit eventhough it was wrong . Wished it should have been India, so we can just keep driving and moving to next lane. Anyway, somehow figured out and made a U-turn to join 85 again. But unfortunately, again took a wrong exit and ended up in 280. Which is perpendicular to this 85.

Man, its so difficult to even park the car in some palce to call for help. The place I was driving is like a commercial place and no place to park. All signs says no parking.

Then finally I saw someone parked on the ramp which leads to 85 and just parked behind them. Called my friend and with his help reached back hotel. Oh, I was really scared at first when I missed the exits. Anyway, finally made it.
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2450.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2455.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2458.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2460.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2476.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2481.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2482.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2485.jpg  

Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2487.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 13th June 2008, 22:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Some more pictures...

Lunch Time!!!
Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2419.jpg

Fisher(wo)man
Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2490.jpg

Team-BHPian... hehehehe
Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2491.jpg

Entry for rental boats
Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2492.jpg

Rescue scooter
Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2493.jpg

Some snaps through the mountains
Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2497.jpg
Weekend trip to Santa cruz beach, USA-img_2498.jpg
Old 13th June 2008, 23:44   #4
Team-BHP Support

Ca

Glad to see you had a good time.
Yep, summer time means lots of beach trips!

Getting lost is always part of the experience for first-time drivers in the U.S.

A family acquaintance has lived around Boston since the mid-70's. He's bad with directions and yet, never takes any directions or maps with him before leaving on a trip - he says - 'getting lost for the past 30 years, I've discovered places I would have never known to exist, if I were driving with proper directions.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Then sat in the beach and saw 2 kids playing some game. Not sure of the name. They use a pipe and one end has a net to it. They use it to catch and throw the ball. Instead of catching in hand, they use this.
The game's called lacrosse. It's pretty popular around the high-school and college levels, but not as popular at the professional level as (American) football, baseball or basketball.

Most Viewed