Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2008, 13:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

During whole night, it was raining and hundreds of frogs were singing at a time. Fortunately no power cut and no mosquitoes during whole night.
In the morning, there was power cut. We woke up lazily. Ordered tea.It was raining. Some people had hot bath. Had breakfast. Checked out resort at 10am. Left for waterfall.
We arrived at yesterday's waterfall in ghat. Though fog was present, visibility was better. There was some crowd. Lot of couples, families and children were present. Mostly they were from Goa.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-1.jpg
We again entered in waterfall. Drenched in water. At 11:30 am , we left that place.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-2.jpg
Now, we moved to Shirgaonkar point. Road leading to this point travers through dark forest. Wild animals are present in his forest. This is 3 km up ride.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-3.jpg
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-4.jpg

This area is supposed to be highest point of Amboli. On any clear day, one can see coastline. Unfortunately, due to fog, we couldn't see anything but just a glimpse of countryside of Konkan.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-5.jpg
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-6.jpg
We left that place for Mahadevgad point.

to be continued-
Old 12th July 2008, 15:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

We headed to mahadevgad point. This is also 3 km up ride from Amboli in opposite direction of Shirgaonkar point. It seems that fog is present in Amboli for entire period of monsoon. Road was narrow. Again dark forest.
This is extreme point of ridge. You can see Mahadevgad and Manohargad [ names of two forts ] from this point. There is valley across three sides.
Again, due to fog, no view of entire valley, just glimpse.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-8.jpg
We have taken some group photos here.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-7.jpg
Rain started. We ran back to our bus.
Time was 1 pm. We decided to see Hiryankeshi temple. We headed to temple. This point is some 6km off Amboli Belgaon road. Road is narrow. Steep ghat is there. Lovely countryside. The river HIRYANKESHI was flowing with full potential. There is nice parking. We had crossed bridge on river.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-9.jpg
There is nice path leading to temple. We had walked some 300 meter.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-10.jpg
There is temple with pond filled with water. Pond was overflowing. This is origin of river.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-11.jpg
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-11b.jpg
There is cave at right side of temple. Priest of temple told that it is @ one km in length, there is sun lighted hall at 1 km can accommodate @ 100 people and nobody knows the source of that light.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-11a.jpg
Again rain started. It was almost 2:15PM. We decided not to take lunch and head to next point.
We headed to most beautiful point of Amboli, Kavalesaad point.
Old 12th July 2008, 16:49   #48
LLL
BHPian

Excellent pics, excellent trip and nice travelogue.

But i am sorry to give thumbs down to your group (and everyone else) for stopping and parking your cars on the road to enjoy the waterfalls.
Old 12th July 2008, 17:34   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
But i am sorry to give thumbs down to your group (and everyone else) for stopping and parking your cars on the road to enjoy the waterfalls.
No man. That is not our car. We went by hired tourist bus that was parked at parking area and not on road.
Old 12th July 2008, 18:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Wow Excellant place which I was supposed to visit a day back and today and travel to Belgaum to see more places around but I postponed the idea because my friend told me there is no water in Gokak falls and my kid has lot of cold and cough.

I guess next month I will visit this place, my new digital camera will reach me by that time! So it will be more fun.

Good write up. Eligible for 5 star rating

Regards,

Ravi.

PS How is resort and food ?

Last edited by ravibhat : 12th July 2008 at 19:11.
Old 13th July 2008, 12:02   #51
Senior - BHPian

We reached Kavalesaad point. Again it is off Amboli Belgaon road in opposite direction to Hiryankeshi point. It is 3 km off main road. We had seen lovely countryside. Last time when i was in Amboli at the end of May, it was not rained yet, so not aware of beauty of this spot.
What a site! nature has shown its full moon here. I was seeing at least 15 major waterfalls at a time. This area is completely opposite in geography to Mahadevgad point. There is valley surrounded by mountains from three sides.
As we decided against lunch, i had ordered onion pakoras for all members to lone canteen. Some group with young gals was there.
We ran to railing. Rain was coming and going. Waterfall was rising to sky. Yes, rising to sky. We have seen this wonder. Water flowing to valley from waterfall was coming back to land due to wind. It was splashing like fountain.

Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-12.jpg
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-13.jpg
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-14.jpg
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-15.jpg
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-16.jpg

Wonder of nature.

Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-17.jpg
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-18.jpg
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-18a.jpg

After having hot pakoras, we left that place to our last point of Amboli, Nagartaas waterfall.

to be continued

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 13th July 2008 at 12:10.
Old 13th July 2008, 13:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Nagartaas waterfall is some 10/12 km away from Amboli toward Belgaon. It is right on road but you have to get down from your vehicle to see it.
Water flowing from a nala formed this fall. Huge force of water cut down the rock in the form of well. Water flowing from well also cut down the rock in 4 feet gully. This well and gully is about 70-80 feet deep. This is again wonder of nature.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-19.jpg
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-20.jpg

At 4 pm , we left that place and moved toward Baramati via same route which we had taken to come to Amboli. At Aajra, we had tea break. We had seen some peacocks and deer on road.
In the bus, everyone was happy about this trip.
At 7:15 pm , Kolhapur came and gone. Now, everyone was hungry.
At 9:00 pm we stopped at a roadside hotel near Karad for dinner. I was busy transferring all photos taken by various members to my laptop.
At 10:30 pm , we moved toward baramati and reached to home at 02:00am.

That was end of trip.

I thanks MADDY42, SUSHRUTHA and MANAA45 for trying the answers to quiz.
I congratulate VVNAGAN, HRAG, SHAJUFX, BOMBATT, PHROZENFIRE, DEEPAK MS, LIMPID for correct answers to the quiz.
I congratulate ABHIJITAPARADH for correct answer of Ajinkyatara fort at Satara.

The flowers in the pic are for above mentioned people.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-25.jpg

This travelogue ends here.

What next?
[MODS, IF YOU DON'T MIND]
Name:  24.gif
Views: 1373
Size:  23.7 KB

Monsoon and beach.
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-21.jpg
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-22.jpg
Monsoon masti: watch it LIVE and partake in the quiz-23.jpg

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 13th July 2008 at 13:39.
Old 13th July 2008, 18:15   #53
Sar
BHPian

Great pictures, I do miss the monsoons. Very interesting read!
Old 13th July 2008, 18:42   #54
BHPian

Ashish, excellent travelogue. I really liked each and every pics posted by you. I am very much interested to visit this place in the near future. So, couple of questions. How far is Amboli from Belgaum? When is the best time to visit amboli. Is it so good only in monsoon or even other times also. How was your accommodation and food?

Looking forward to your next travelogue - Monsoon and Beach
Old 13th July 2008, 19:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bombhatt,

Amboli is around 70 km from Belgaum, 2 hours drive. It has couple of good hotels.
How to reach amboli by air, train and road - how to get in amboli*-*raahi.com - Travel Community This link might help you to get details about Amboli. Best time to visit this place is between July - September when it rains.

Day1: I suggest start Bangalore in the morning and check into Belgaum (500km from Bangalore) in a hotel in the evening.
Day 2: Leave in the next day morning to visit Gokak and Godachi Makki Falls near Gokak (70km from Belgaum, 2 hrs drive), then proceed to Sankeshwar and have food there and drive towards Amboli. While going to Amboli cover few places on the way near Amboli. Plan this Gokak Falls only if it rains properly still no proper rains hence i feel water is very less Gokak Falls river.
Day 3: Cover other places in Amboli.
Day 4: Check out from Amboli and proceed towards Bangalore.

If you plan to visit Jog Falls (Between august - september its ideal) on day 4 halt in Shimoga and day 5 proceed towards Bangalore.

If you visit only Amboli you can cover it in 3 days also.

Go thru. this map MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go! make ZOOM and you will get idea.

Amboli has lot of places to visit, the picture posted in thread has all places we need to glance when we are in Amboli.

While coming back from Amboli you can choose Amboli - Sawantwadi - Panaji - Ankola - Sirsi - Jog Falls - Shimoga - Bangalore (740km) or Amboli - Belguam - hubli - Bangalore (570km).

Thanks to Ashish for wonderfull details.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 13th July 2008 at 19:33.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
. How far is Amboli from Belgaum? When is the best time to visit amboli. Is it so good only in monsoon or even other times also. How was your accommodation and food?
Amboli is @ 68 km from Belgaon on Sawantwadi road.
Amboli is year round destination. In summer, it has cool air with greenery.
It is best in monsoon to enjoy rain and waterfalls. Winter season is best to enjoy nature. You can go anytime to Amboli. Last time, i had visited Amboli at the end of may.
Accommodation is good. It is spacious resort. Though it is govt owned resort, it is professionally managed by renowned private party. There are other options also.
If you are combining Gokak falls with this trip, for Gokak to Amboli route, i will suggest sankeshwar-gadhinglaj-aajra-amboli route. It is good road and you will save @ 50 km compared to sankeshwar- belgaon-amboli route.
Old 14th July 2008, 20:15   #57
BHPian

Thank you Ravi and Ashish for the information.

Ravi: As for Jog Falls, my wife is from Siddapur which is just 15-20 km from Jog Falls. So, we go to this place every 6 - 12 months . But, I really appreciate that you have given such a detailed information.

Ashish, I am glad to know that Amboli can be visited round the year. I may miss it this monsoon. I am planning for it sometime in November/December.
Old 14th July 2008, 21:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Thats great, I also realized it rains every day at least for few minutes in Amboli, thats the speciality of the place hence thick fog always.

In rainy season you can love rainy weather and after rains view points would be excellant to watch out, so in person's life time i suggest visit Amboli in 2 different seasons.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 13th July 2009, 18:47   #59
BHPian

Hi guys,

I think the kavlesad point is one of the few places where you are on top of the water fall.i.e. the stream flows from below where you stand and then drops into the valley to form a water fall as opposed to most of the water falls which we see from below.It is a very nice experience.
cheers

Most Viewed