Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 14:15   #1
BHPian

First road trip in my Getz CRDi

I had recently been on a 1500km round trip from Noida–Jammu–Noida in my newly acquired Passion Red Getz Crdi. And yes, what a trip it has been!! The Getz is simply awesome on the highways with the hundred plus horses always rearing to go!! Well to start with, I started around 6AM from Noida and cruised around 80- 90 kmph. We were only two of us (myself and my wife) with quite a bit of luggage which we were carrying back home. So the dickey and the rear seats of the car were occupied with luggage. Anyhow, the car behaved perfectly fine and it gave me a mileage of 17 Kmpl, this was when I did not push it much and with all time AC. We covered the 600 Kms distance in about 12 hours with about an hour break in between.

Back home, I visited the nearby hill side picnic spots about 100 kms away and was really impressed with the handling and power delivery in the hills. There was hardly any handling issue or lag in power delivery irrespective of the turbo kicking in or not. One issue I faced with the stock rims and wheel covers on which Michelins PP’s were mounted was that when I went into a ditch at a higher speed the wheel cover would come out from that point of contact area and then I had to push it back in, nothing serious but irritating, maybe I should switch to alloys soon.

The return trip was when the real fun started, since I had crossed 1000 Kms barrier required for the break-in period and I was literally waiting to floor it ! And yes, the Getz D did show a pair of heels to one too many including a Pajero 2.8, Honda City 1.5, and an Optra 1.6. To start with, the Pajero was flying at 120+ and was followed by the Honda City. But both could not keep up with the sheer acceleration which the Getz has once above 2000 RPM especially off the block on traffic lights (Maybe both were not as spirited as I was ). I could keep the Pajero and the City behind me for quite sometime and went upto speeds of 140 KPMH before we all ran out of open/safe road and then I stopped over to let there bruised egos recover.

The Getz CRDi is a class apart and you need to really drive it on a highway to see its true potential. Especially the addictive turbo kicking in I did find the brakes adequate (maybe I had Michelin Pilot Precedas) but still they are good enough for me. Getz D is a car which can be driven hard but sensibly within its safe permissible limits - for me it’s between 100–140 Kmph. The only car which overtook me was a Camry but then it was way too powerful and stable then my 'red beetle'. Anyhow while coming back I got a mileage of 15 Kmpl that too with full time AC running with 4 people on board with luggage.

To suffice, I am happy and satisfied with the Getz D when it comes to power, refinement and comfort. It really is a good buy although a bit overpriced but then the CRDi mill is worth all that much moolah!
Dragonov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2008, 14:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

triplog/pics?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2008, 14:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
triplog/pics?
@phamilyman - Since it was an impromptu trip, I forgot to take my camera and was too excited to keep trip logs. Would do it next time for sure
Old 10th July 2008, 14:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Another satisfied Getz CRDI owner and definitely its a good machine and good VFM according to me. Do drive safe buddy and hope you update many more trips with pics next time.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:28   #5
BHPian

Nice log and good to know you are enjoying the car. U will slowly get addicted to the Turbo.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Another satisfied Getz CRDI owner and definitely its a good machine and good VFM according to me. Do drive safe buddy and hope you update many more trips with pics next time.
@ VJ MAVRICK - Value for money it surely is !! And yes with the power it has, it certainly needs to be driven safe and sensibly.

Quote:
Nice log and good to know you are enjoying the car. U will slowly get addicted to the Turbo.
@ ravi@64bhp - Thanks, yes the turbo and the corresponding surge is really addictive
Old 10th July 2008, 15:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

How come you decided to leave behind the safari!? You were moving so much luggage!
anyways, good to see you have lot of red passion with you. A total of 225 red horses
Old 10th July 2008, 16:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
How come you decided to leave behind the safari!? You were moving so much luggage! anyways, good to see you have lot of red passion with you. A total of 225 red horses
@tsk1979 - Luggage was not that much but it was substituting the rear passengers and regards the Safari, it has done a lots of touring and luggage carrying i.e been there done that ! So it was the Getz D's turn to do its bit and yes honestly both the Safari and Getz D look good with the passion red horses at my disposal

BTW, hope you are eagerly waiting for your 140 horses to arrive, am sure your wait would be worth the wait. All the best !
Old 10th July 2008, 18:43   #9
BHPian

Now I know why they call such cars as "Boy's Toys". Enjoy it guys but be safe always.
Old 10th July 2008, 19:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Now I know why they call such cars as "Boy's Toys". Enjoy it guys but be safe always.
@ girlieonwheels - Thanks, I am enjoying my 'toy' and 'safe' we Team BHPians always advocate to be
Old 10th July 2008, 21:15   #11
BHPian

The Getz CRDi can surely set the roads on fire. Not sure what you have right now, but, with that beast, its good to have better rubber.
Old 10th July 2008, 21:37   #12
BHPian

Just one thing i could never figure. Why no ABS?

The cleaning ladies in my office use the Getz CRdi and it sure as hell has ABS. It is also sized the same as the Indian version. So what is it that keeps HMIL(Not Hindustan Motors) screwing up a great opportunity.

By the way i see increasing number of these machines on EU roads being driven for their fun factor @ low cost.
Old 10th July 2008, 22:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
The Getz CRDi can surely set the roads on fire. Not sure what you have right now, but, with that beast, its good to have better rubber.
@ Saurabh M - I do have upgraded rubber 'Michelin Pilot Precedas 195/60/R14' and it does really help in handling and braking.

Quote:
Just one thing i could never figure. Why no ABS?

The cleaning ladies in my office use the Getz CRdi and it sure as hell has ABS. It is also sized the same as the Indian version. So what is it that keeps HMIL(Not Hindustan Motors) screwing up a great opportunity.

By the way i see increasing number of these machines on EU roads being driven for their fun factor @ low cost.
@sanjayatarizona - Even I dont have a clue why HMIL have not offered ABS on the little monster, maybe cost cutting or whatever - its sad !
Old 10th July 2008, 23:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The power is nice - anywhere! How was its handling on the highway? And behavior to spontenous inputs?
Old 11th July 2008, 13:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The power is nice - anywhere! How was its handling on the highway? And behavior to spontenous inputs?
@ theMAG - The handling on the straight highways and even hills was quite good. I had no issues at all. I could easily maintain speeds of 100-140 KMPH and found the car to be well planted on the road. Only bad roads would unsettle the Getz's composure otherwise it was fine. Guess better tyres do help a lot ! Am sure on stock tyres it would have been a different story altogether. Once I had to suddenly brake from 90 and do a directional change which the car did with quite an ease. If I compare it to my Ikon, the brakes are much better and the handling is also good if not better than the Ikon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks