Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 23:11   #31
BHPian

Breath taking pics rupinder..
Keep them coming !
Old 16th July 2008, 09:25   #32
BHPian

[quote=Saurabh M;And how come the Qualis have that accident, with so few vehicles on the road? [/quote]

I was thinking about the same. How can you get a qualis in that shape in a deserted place like this? He must have slept off and banged it against a rock. See the tyre marks that indicate the qualis was pulled back on the road from somewhere off the road.

And when things like this happen, what are the options left for the occupants of the car (even assuming they are unhurt)? Looks like they will have to wait for ages to get help.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Correct me if am wrong ,I think there is a stretch of around 350Kms or so where there are no bunks @ all (cannot remember between which pass it is, mightbe Rohtang La and Changtang la)
Hai MAVRICK,

Tandi, 50 kms from Rathang is the last fuel station before Leh. Tandi to Leh is about 380 kms, so a full tank would do the trick, I have also heard of someone saying even at Tandi fuel runs out !!!!!!!!!!

If you want to detour to Tso Kar and Tso Moriri from Debring add another 200 kms ( 100 one way) then the distance from Tandi to Leh goes up to 500 kms, re-fueling is neceassary for most vehicles.

Likewise from Leh-Pangong Tso-Leh is about 350 (175 one way), you have to go back to Leh for re-fuel. Though fuel is reported to be sold unofficially at Pang and Debring, mostly diesel, you cannot bet on it.

Planning the fuel is important; learning from Rupender would be very useful for anybody taking a trip that side.

Attaching map of the region I've created, could be useful.

--Ramky
=========
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ledakh-spiti-drive map-may08.ramky.pdf (111.7 KB, 491 views)

Last edited by ramkya1 : 16th July 2008 at 10:58.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai MAVRICK,

Tandi, 50 kms from Rathang is the last fuel station before Leh. Tandi to Leh is about 380 kms, so a full tank would do the trick, I have also heard of someone saying even at Tandi fuel runs out !!!!!!!!!!

If you want to detour to Tso Kar and Tso Moriri from Debring add another 200 kms ( 100 one way) then the distance from Tandi to Leh goes up to 500 kms, re-fueling is neceassary for most vehicles.

Likewise from Leh-Pangong Tso-Leh is about 350 (175 one way), you have to go back to Leh for re-fuel. Though fuel is reported to be sold unofficially at Pang and Debring, mostly diesel, you cannot bet on it.

Planning the fuel is important; learning from Rupender would be very useful for anybody taking a trip that side.

--Ramky
=========
Thanks Ramky for the correction and definitely Rupinder's inputs about fuel stoppages and refueling will be immensely helpful for potential travel enthusiasts on this stretch. I would love to do this stretch maybe not now but certainly in the future. I heard there are a set of 21 loops called Gata loops that take you to about 15K + feet and beyond. The silence and the feeling on being on the top of the world is matchless to anything else.
Old 16th July 2008, 11:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Only The Lucky Make It

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Thanks Ramky for the correction and definitely Rupinder's inputs about fuel stoppages and refueling will be immensely helpful for potential travel enthusiasts on this stretch. I would love to do this stretch maybe not now but certainly in the future. I heard there are a set of 21 loops called Gata loops that take you to about 15K + feet and beyond. The silence and the feeling on being on the top of the world is matchless to anything else.
I think only a lucky few can do this....... even ppl with all the money, time, car and resources, they have not been able to do... some just get up and drive and come back cool

My own plan to do it this August thro Srinagar is shot to pieces with the situation in Srinagar getting out of hand and getting leave becoming more and more difficult... still dreaming on.

--Ramky
--------
Old 16th July 2008, 11:14   #36
BHPian

hi friends thanks for the appreciation
@ramkya yes i did carry fuel but was not required to befilled till the very last end when i went from leh -tsomoriri-tsokar -debring-pang-manali.it depends on your vehicle and its fuel tank . i have a petrol petra with 47 litre tank. if u go in qualis or innova or tavera which are diesel and have good fuel tank you wont need extra petral.
no didnt cover pangong and tsomoriri in one stretch
i went from leh -karu-changla -pangong
leh -upshi -shakti-mahe-tsomoriri-tsokar-debring-pang -manali

the road to tsomoriri is very good but the road from tsomoririto tsokar is worst no road just rocks have been laid not good for a car maybe an suv but its very bumpy and dusty and a suspension killer
the road 5km either side of a high pass is bad otherwise ok. the last 5km to pangongtso is bad only stones have been laid no tarmac. same with road from lukung to spangmik. couldnt go to spangmik cos of bad road.

@ saurabh those ducks are at tsomoriri. yes there is boating at pangong tso but it is only for guests of army or itbp.if you have contact in army or itbp ring them up you can have the fun of motot boating in pangong.
petra behaved ok .
i had three mishaps.
1 on way to hunder and army 207 hit me . the radiator started leakin . i fixed it there with m-seal and filled it with cooland which i was carrying
2.at tsomoriri locals advised us to go further to have a panoramic look ok tsomoriri. there was a boulder which hit the underneathb of my car and heit the petrol tank which developed a small leak.had to fix it again with m-seal (sare bolo m-seal zindabad) but had tio lie under car for 30 min to keep pressure on m-seal so that it didnt drop off
3 when we were coming on the dirt road from tsokar to debring i dont know what happened . did i over revved the car or just a long journey took its troll. the alternator was not charging battery. so i raced the car but it stalled 7km before darcha. slept in the night in car . got it towed to darcha. my friend went to keylong couldnt find a new battery , rented a one and we reached keylong got the battery charged overnight and reached the outskirts of manali. went for repair. but the alternator was totally burned. the bearings had gone and it had run without bearing cosing shorting of all coils. no partrs available.no battery of our size available went on that battery to kullu bought another battery.reached sundernagar comfortably stopped overnight charged both batteries . plugged off everything.lights , internal fan, brake lights .indicator and wipers. reached ludhiana without a problem.now the car is atr workshop for the denting work caused by the 207
Old 16th July 2008, 11:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Yea Ramky! I could not agree more on what you had to say. As you said dream on, thats what i am going to do and all the best to you on your trip endeavor on this stretch.
Old 16th July 2008, 11:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

M-seal Zindabad

Rupinder,

M-Seal Zindabad..... all leaks MUNDABAD

Very exciting account..... your Petra, though with small mishaps, seems to have come out OK. Thanks for the update on the road conditions.

Did you go up north to Kardung and Nubra? Are the roads OK to that side?

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
hi friends thanks for the appreciation
@ramkya yes i did carry fuel but was not required to befilled till the very last end when i went from leh -tsomoriri-tsokar -debring-pang-manali.it depends on your vehicle and its fuel tank . i have a petrol petra with 47 litre tank. if u go in qualis or innova or tavera which are diesel and have good fuel tank you wont need extra petral.
no didnt cover pangong and tsomoriri in one stretch
i went from leh -karu-changla -pangong
leh -upshi -shakti-mahe-tsomoriri-tsokar-debring-pang -manali

attery.reached sundernagar comfortably stopped overnight charged both batteries . plugged off everything.lights , internal fan, brake lights .indicator and wipers. reached ludhiana without a problem.now the car is atr workshop for the denting work caused by the 207
Old 16th July 2008, 12:21   #39
BHPian

@ramkya my accident did occur near to khardung.and you can also see pics of nubra region. the road near khardungla are not good but otherwise pretty decent. i went to diskit,hunder and khalsar didnt go to panamik cos the time was short which was wasted in accident and patching up radiator otherwise if u move from leh at 6am u can cover both hunder and panamik in one day but then there wont be much time to stop and enjoy the beauty.
Old 16th July 2008, 16:13   #40
Sar
BHPian

What gorgeous photos rupinder....hopefully one day we will be able to travel around India. Thanks for sharing
Old 21st July 2008, 15:09   #41
BHPian

Hey Rupinder...
thank you so much for the lovely pictures! they are a real treat!
Old 7th August 2008, 15:43   #42
BHPian

beautiful photos. I am planning a trip to Leh in the 2nd week of may 2009. We are 3 people in a Safari Dicor. we have all applied for our leave from work

If anyone is interested to join in their vehicles please feel free to join.
Old 7th August 2008, 16:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramkumar View Post
beautiful photos. I am planning a trip to Leh in the 2nd week of may 2009. We are 3 people in a Safari Dicor. we have all applied for our leave from work
Wow, second week of May is going to be wild - are you planning to take the Srinagar-Leh route? The Manali-Leh route may not be do-able at that point - apart from all the streams & nullahs being at their fiercest because of the melting snow, I'm not sure if the highway itself would open up so early.......

Last edited by suman : 7th August 2008 at 16:38.
Old 7th August 2008, 16:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Lovely choice of time. That is indeed the best time. Of course, how a car fares is unknown but its the jolliest time for bikes since they can't get stuck. Timing the nullahs on your Safari would be critical.
Old 8th August 2008, 17:29   #45
BHPian

Goosebumps man!! I loved those photos of your's! I curse myself for not able to make it like most of the team BHPians because of bloody LEAVES!!

Most Viewed