Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 01:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
But post number 9. Can you please check if you cant still see the pictures?
Pictures in your last two posts are visible! But no #9 is still elusive!
Old 21st July 2008, 02:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Duplicate to post#9
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/910068-post9.html

However instead of hitting that bed as mentioned in the previous post, we decided to do a little bit of this.
2000 miles on a 3-day weekend amongst serenity amusement and music in silence-licture53.jpg

As a result of that and a few more photosessions such as this in the morning

2000 miles on a 3-day weekend amongst serenity amusement and music in silence-licture66.jpg
2000 miles on a 3-day weekend amongst serenity amusement and music in silence-licture67.jpg
2000 miles on a 3-day weekend amongst serenity amusement and music in silence-licture84.jpg
2000 miles on a 3-day weekend amongst serenity amusement and music in silence-licture89.jpg

We could not make it out of this log hut at the planned 8am. Instead it was 9 am. We drive into a McDonalds for breakfast and the line there saw us spending 45 mins before we were out again, by that time the road leading out from Gatlinburg to the interstate highway I-40 (11 miles away) was chock-a-block. 11 miles took us 1 full hour to cover, by 11am we had almost 890 miles to cover. But now the traffic was moving.

To my dismay a whole train of vehicles were merrily moving around 5mph below the speed limit. With the E-350 truck, making my way through wasn't being easy. two hours later we stopped to refill. To make matters worse, we saw dark clouds making an appearance. Everyone was apprehensive that this is going to be one long drive. But the moment it started raining, we saw fewer vehicles on the road. The rain worsened, to such a level that on a lower car, it would have been impossible to proceed. But perched high up on the truck, we were above the spray from tyres of vehicles running ahead of us. It must have rained for around 150 miles or so. We drove non stop on one tank of Fuel,from a little after Nashville (Tennesse) to Little Rock (Arkansas), around 330 miles in around 5 hours at about 6:30pm. Dallas being 4 hours from there, we were now in good shape. So we decide to now take it easy, drive another two hours and have dinner somewhere before driving another 2 hours and reaching home.
This was a day all previous personal records tumbled, longest driven in a day, longest driven non stop, for me this was the longest distance over which the rains lasted (150 miles) and that too full blast.
A few pics of the drive

2000 miles on a 3-day weekend amongst serenity amusement and music in silence-nicture19.jpg
2000 miles on a 3-day weekend amongst serenity amusement and music in silence-nicture20.jpg
2000 miles on a 3-day weekend amongst serenity amusement and music in silence-nicture21.jpg

At Memphis
2000 miles on a 3-day weekend amongst serenity amusement and music in silence-nicture22.jpg
Crossing over to Arkansas

2000 miles on a 3-day weekend amongst serenity amusement and music in silence-nicture23.jpg

2000 miles on a 3-day weekend amongst serenity amusement and music in silence-nicture26.jpg

Pics of driving in the rain was pointless but in the last pic the black sky in the horizon is a good indicator of what we drove underneath.

The last two hours were spent in complete silence, almost everyone was asleep, and for me staying awake was a challenge, I wished that those two hours really fly past but on the other hand a the heart was heavy in the knowledge that such a lovely drive would come to an end.

In the end, a total of around 2000 miles driven over a 3-day weekend. Although might not have been possible had I not been blessed with a daughter who does not want to get down from a vehicle even after travelling 900 miles in it in one day! We also got an eerie experience of checking in and checking out of a hospitality facility without interacting with a single human being (on top of that cell phones did not work, but wireless internet did!)

Requesting the moderators to replace posts 3,7 and 9 with 12, 14 and 17 repectively. The attachments in the original posts got deleted due to subsequent additional posts. Inconvenience is severely regretted. Will keep the filename issue in mind in future.

Last edited by 1100D : 21st July 2008 at 02:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks