Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2008, 16:25   #16
BHPian

Wow.....the architecture is just unbelievable!!!

Hats off to a detailed report & the amazing photopraphy
Old 25th July 2008, 18:42   #17
BHPian

Nice to see another Hoysala fan. Reminds me of our visit to Belavadi during a holiday to Chikmaglur last year. The best part of these temples (apart from Belur & Halebid) is that they are hardly visited and are right in the middle of working & living villages!

Can't wait to make another trip to visit the other temples..
Old 25th July 2008, 18:54   #18
BHPian

I am really happy that you folks liked the travelogue. Thanks for your compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Excellent Report and pics!!

Probably we will not require a guide when we visit these historical places, printout of your writeup should do hah !!

Abhi
The generally available books, literature on such places are technical and tend to be scientific or factual. A good guide is generally a local lad and is rooted in the history of the place. They are best in talking about associated folklore, mythology, etc. So if you believe me, books are necessary but not sufficient for visiting historic places. A good guide is indispensable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am surprised Somanathpur was not in your list, it happens to be the most well preserved temple from the Hoysala period.
As I said I had chosen temples that were around Hassan. Before starting, my primary focus was to visit Belur, Halebid and other nearby Hoysala temples.

A visit to Somnathpur, Amritapura, Basaralu, and Govindanahalli is on cards. Will not be covering them in the same trip though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
what are your other travelogues?
@hillram - This is my first travelogue. This travelogue definitely draws inspiration from lot of travelogue writers on team-bhp and elsewhere.

I am glad you liked this travelogue and would like to read other travelogues as well. I have promised myself to write a travelogue for all my future travels.
Old 25th July 2008, 20:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

A good report of the description of history. Actually Hoysala Kings are less known to the people than their counterparts like the the Rastrkutas, Chalukyas, Vijayanagar , Mysore Kings etc.

Last edited by snaronikar : 25th July 2008 at 20:13.
Old 25th July 2008, 22:10   #20
BANNED

THIS is a travelogue. I could take a history exam after reading this twice - its that detailed. Five stars.
Old 15th August 2008, 21:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wow FANTASTIC travelogue & pictures...keep it going
Old 16th August 2008, 02:46   #22
BHPian

History lesson, Photolog, Travelogue - all three combined; your write-up is a mini encyclopedea ! Hats off to you !

Your pictures have very well captured the awesome architecture. By the way how did you manage to take pictures of the Gharbagraha?
Old 17th August 2008, 14:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
... By the way how did you manage to take pictures of the Gharbagraha?
There are no restrictions to take pictures. Using tripod and shooting videos was not allowed in some of the temples. However, If we take a prior permission from the ASI office in Bangalore, even they are allowed.

I didn't knew that I will need a permission to use my tripod and had a hard time shooting Garbhagriha pictures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks