Old 28th July 2008, 22:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post

Beta theek to jaa rahe ho,
haan maa,
lagta to nahin,
pooch ke dekho..
kisse? achha aap bahar dekho kitna acha mausam hai..
haan hai to sahi lekin raasta sahhi hai kya..
maaaaaaaaaaa.
Mother was cautious so that her children does not get lost in the unknown area

Quote:
down south it was her first trip and the joy on her face was what we had sought in the first place. She stood there for minutes looking out to the sea and had a dreamy look about her. We just let her gaze and slipped past her to stand to one side.
This is what i liked you in both and here you cared about your mothers happiness.....

Enjoy your ride guys and keep your mom happy and keep driving and enjoying the drives
Old 29th July 2008, 12:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

Hey, I had almost given up waiting for your report. You sure took a long time to start the report.

It is heartwarming to hear your mother's reaction upon seeing the beach for the first time. The monsoon sea is a very different animal than summer sea, you should someday show her summer sea too.

You landed in my town in the middle of a very rainy week without much notice. Sorry I couldn't take you around much, I could have done better on a weekend.
Old 29th July 2008, 14:27   #18
BHPian

By far the best travelogue I have read ever. The conversations keep the reader involved. Brilliant narration, mate. Hats off!
Old 29th July 2008, 14:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai : Hi mate yeah I know it took some time but had a lot of things to sort out before I got the time. I am grateful for the help you extended on that rainy afternoon and will be waiting for the time to extend the same courtsey to you. Many thanks again.
Now to continue the journey:-

During the customery sight seeing and some frolicking on the beach we went to a friends place for some Goan style Tea. He had a speaking parrot and we all enjoyed and it was perhaps the only time I relished someone talking back at me.

The day was surprisingly clear and allowed us a nice time in what otherwise had been a rain soaked week in Goa. Also at Goa we decieded to forego our stay at Karwar the next day on 12/06 as we had found that it would not be possible to reach Cochin on 13th after starting from Karwar. WE planned to join the gang for the MONSOON DRIVE and hence we changed our plans so that we reached Cochin on the evening of 13th. What a rational decision it was to prove.
The change of plans needed to be worked into and I gave a call to DR Ripper seeking information on the route and probable places to halt for the night. This led to the contact info for the samurai san. We spoke on length and it was decieded that we should break journey at Manipal/Udupi for the night of 12th. Samurai advised against visiting gokarna but told us of an absolutely marvellous place called Murudeshwara.
On the morning of 12 the travellers set off into a heavy rain towards madagaon. The road was holding out but we had been warned that it wont last for long. Navigating through that blinding rain in madgaon was pretty tricky but in the end was easily managed by a small thing called as a Compass.
Just allign the map and take the general direction as indicated, simple isn't it? Not quite if you are holding the map wrong silly.
We had started from Donnapaula at 9 (18547) and reached Madgaon at 1015 (18582). Another hour saw us at Canconna with the odo at 18622. The rain had slightly abated by now and it was now only drizzling when we reached the GOA/KARNATAKA border at 1145 hrs and odo at 18646. The boom barrier was down as we rolled near to it. A guy was sitting staring at us without any reaction..
Bhaiya, isko uthane ka kya loge.
stares..
Yeh danda uthta hai kya..
more stare..then finally.. gaadi check karvavo.
To aake karo, gaadi ko uttha ke layen kya tumahre pass..
He looks over his back and a khakhi clad chap comes ambling down.
Kahan se aaya? He asks gruffly as if we were expected to apologize for getting him onto the road in that rain.
Agar aasman se aaya hun to kya theek se baat karoge?
Mouth agape he looks into my eyes, hain haan saab kya bola.
Kuch nahin, goa se aaya aur manipal jayega.
Darroo hai?
Kyon tumko chahiye?
nahin vo permit mangta..
kaun sa permit, fauz hai.
Ohh pehle nahin bola,
Tumne nahin poocha, abhi gaadi check karna hai?
nahin aap jao, gate kholo..
Phew we were finally on our way with 6 bottles of wine all lying spread beneath the rear seat.
Karwar was a sight to see. Beautiful and IMHO the best place for sun n sand. There was a little beach just by the side of the road and the oohhs and ahhs were punctuated with regrets after seeing the naval Station we were supposed to stay for the day.
Taking pictures was not allowed but we took a few from the road wherever there was a break in side cladding protections. Only once were challanged by a sentry but even he did a cursory chit chat and being told of being Fauji's he just waved us on with a Ram Ram saab. Karwar, 1200 hrs, odo 18661.
Next to come was Akola at 1250, 18696 and we decided to halt for lunch soon after. We stopped at Makara resturant near to Kumta. The odo read 18713 and time 1320hrs. The food was served in thatched huts and was delicious. I seriously recomend trying their fish curry meal @Rs39 and it was by far the most delicious of all fish curries I have had. The total bill was Rs215. We had a good one hour break. We crossed the Kasargod Bridge on Harawati river around 1500 hrs and odo at 18756. One peculiar thing I noticed was the ashoka emblem on all the four pillars of the bridges in karnataka. What do they signify? Is it that yes its the state which is responsible for this shabbybroken down state that you find the bridge in.
We were just discussing this aspect of not maintaing the bridges while the roads were pretty smooth and doing around 120kmph when suddenly a shriek and a howl from the rear passengers...Vo Dekho. watch out.
Old 29th July 2008, 14:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We crossed the Kasargod Bridge on Harawati river around 1500 hrs and odo at 18756. One peculiar thing I noticed was the ashoka emblem on all the four pillars of the bridges in karnataka. What do they signify?
You mean Honnawar bridge over Sharawati river. Most of these bridges were built right after independence all along the NH-17. That might explain the overuse of the emblem by a proud young independent nation.
Old 29th July 2008, 14:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice one wondernomad !! Sorry somehow missed this thread earlier.

Post some pics along with each posts as well..

Abhi
Old 30th July 2008, 10:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice Narration..

Hai Wandernomad,

Great narration, love the flow. A travalogue worthy of the Scorp.. would be nice to know how the beast behaved on the trip, driving comfort with kids etc.,

Keep them coming..... and post thos photos up.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

===========
Old 30th July 2008, 13:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

As we turned back to locate the source of such excited shrieks not heard outside a euro football stadium we could do that easily for towering above the tree line was a massive statue idol of lord Shiva. Aha Murudeshwara, the place samurai had suggested we spend time at. The view from the highway looked inviting enough and soon we took a right turn to go through an elaborate gate welcoming us inside. The place was excellent. It was an outcrop kind of thing jutting into the sea which surrounded it on three sides.
There was a long beach on the right side and the complex itself was huge. We parked and got down and within a few minutes one of the party was no where to be seen. We searched and searched including the underseats only to realise that the person has gone away to answer the most basic of natural urges.. thirst. (what else did you think). After drinking that sublime coconut water we entered the temple through a massive front gate bounded on either side by two huge elephant figurines. The temple inside was clean but somehow didnot have the same peaceful environ you come to expect in a temple. It had more of a feeling of a tourist place. We wanted to go and see the Shiva idol and as we looked at the stairs an angel came and told us that we can drive right upto the statue. Talk of Divine Benevolence!!
We came out and drove up. It had a very steep gradient but then the road was paved silky smooth. We came up under the watchful gaze of the Lord and parked on another sloping road on the top. The view of the sea was magnificient though there was a slight haze out there. We could see a lonely island some miles off and then came another surprise.
There was a beautiful Golden chariot perfectly alligned in the east west direction and guess who was the rider.. the Sun God . The location of the whole structure and in that allignment was excellent. The manicured maintained green lawn further added to the beauty.
After spending about an hour we rolled along once again. Bhaitkal was reached at 1630, odo 18800 and Byndoor at 1650 with odo at 18819. And then came the stretch of road that was equivalent to the forbidden fruit. As we drove along the road the sea was almost within touching distance and it beckoned us like a serpent. Though we were getting late but the temptation was just too much.
I found a track leading to the beac from the road. The beach looked about 10 mtrs away and the prospect of being able to drive to the very edge of the beach was just too much and I bit into the apple. I drove onto the hard ground between the road and the beach and had hardly driven about 10 mtrs when to my horror I found the hard ground giving way.
Lagta hai loose sand hai..
Hmm yahin rok lete hain.
ok. Lekin vapas aa ke please gaadi mein mat baithna till we drive back onto the road ok.
Yes ok.
But it was a promise soon to be broken with disastrous consequences.
We all stumpbled out into the sand and went to the seashore. Ohh we played and enjoyed our time on the beach. It seemed surreal and almost like a dream. the smooth pristine clean beach with the road so close by and the gentle sounds of the sea. But good times never last long do they?
The showers (how could we forget that it was a monsoon drive) came down heavily and everyone ran and plonked themselves into the Scorp. We had hardly finished grinning when I cranked the engine into life and put it in reverse. My heart sank as the rear wheels just sank into the soft soil. I looked left and then I looked right. Did it help, NO.
Ruk mein chalata hun I have more experience in sand drving.
Ok aa ja, meine thoda sa dig kar deta hun.
Kya hum log uttar jayen? (nahin baithe raho till we lift the car out of the sand)
Gussa kyon ho rahe ho, pehle bolna tha na ki mat baitho,
meine bola tha lekin tum log sunte kitna ho humari baat ko,
accha tab to sea dekh rahe the..
Beta lado mat socho ki kya karna hai. (wise words)
All the ladies scampered down into the rain while I dug up the ground slightly and placed the rubber mats beneath the rear tyres. Now the ground on the side looked hard enough and it had vegetation. I told V that maybe if we drove onto that patch that would give us enough traction to gain momentum and then the vehicle can be pushed out in reverse. He liked the idea and turned the wheels left to gain high ground.he gunned the engine and let go of the clutch. The vehilce rolled out of the rear pit and lurched towards the high ground and then IT SANK COMPLETELY.
The high ground was even more powedery and the vegetaion was not growing but was merely scampering over it running to find a footing elsewhere. We sat down and laughed hysterically till the ladies thought that we had probably lost it this time. The road was so near yet so far.
Old 30th July 2008, 16:06   #24
rippergeo

Dont stop! its been 3 hours! Update karo sir!

Old 30th July 2008, 17:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Once the laughing fit was over we stared open mouthed at the enormity of the task in front of us.Not only was now the vehicle parallel to the road it was deep into the sand to the halfway mark on the rims and it was raining. Never before had 10 meters seem that distant as they seemed on that day. We had lightened the vehicle by offload all self propelled things (read humans) as there was no way we could offload luggage int hat pouring heavens. It seemed the Gods were winking at us and saying that unless you do go through some turbulations the journey isnt fun.
Then I saw what seemed as the hallucinations of a tired frayed mind..4 gents walking towards us. I got up and reharsed my best begging speech to seek their help before i realised that no amount of emotion will work as I am not that good at playing the role while simultaneously overcoming the language barrier. Anyway I approached them.
haiya rassi hai?
Ille.
Vo gaaddi phas gaya hai.
haan dekha.
Nikalega.
Haan. kaise?
@$E%#*%&(&_*+ but their gestures conveyed that they would push it out.
We reached the stranded beached whale and I told my brother, we should ahve bought a maruti 800. Anyway the guys seemed to be professionals from the village across the road. Then one of them spoke.
gaadi nikalega 500 rupees.

ek aadmi ka?
(i almost fainted tryign to calculate the whole 12 -14 odd poeple now surrounding the vehicle)
nahin sabka.
theek hai. nikalo.

And then started an exercise which could have only been outdone by the collective effort of an elephant herd trying to recuse of their kind form a pit. They got 4 wooden planks though they were way too short and needed frequent adjustments. We dug, placed boards, moved a few inches, removed the boards and dug all over again. The entire procedure was repeated mechanically for the next 30 minutes till the scorp was back on the road. Then one of them a truck driver got underneath the vehicle and gave us a zero damage report to the underside. We thanked them and paid the settled amount. Then I asked the question irritating me all this while..
apko kaise patta ki madad chahiye.
idhar gaadi bahut fasta hai.
3 din pehle ek aur scorpio fassa tha, lekin vo beach tak gaya tha hum 1000 Rs liye. Mahine mein 3-4 gaadi ho jaata hai.
Ohh bahut ache log hain aap.
I smiled at them but till this day it haunts me that maybe that track is there to mislead into believeing that the beach can be reached.
We drove for a few Kilometers and then stopped for an inspection of our own. No damage but the wiring harness for the puddle lamps on the driver side had come loose which was promptly fixed and then the jokes began.
It was around 1820 when we reached Kundapur with odo at 18854. I called up Sharath who by now had almost given up on us reaching on time. He guided us into the town of Manipal and then came to pick us up. It was raining and he just intially rolled up in his GV and told us to follow him to the Hotel. GoT down and met the first Bhpian ont hat trip in person. He helped us a lot in arranging the room and after a while both me and my Bro accompanied him to his office which was a short distance away. And what do we find..
A hitech office surrounded by wild topography outside and photography on the inside. He had done this amazing thing with the pictures taken by Him and Rudra. It was mesmerising to see the pictures in so wide a detail.
After chatting him up for another 30 odd minutes he drove us back to the Hotel not before showing us his own backyard off track and the famous incline which needed a TATA 407 to recover his GV. (the details are there on another thread).
We had dinner at the international food court as suggested by him. After doing a rough check of our finances (we had fialed to locate a HDFC ATM on the entire stretch) we decided to go and pay a vist to the bank's ATM. In that rain after 15 tries we concluded that it is perhaps not willign to dole out cash. We would be left with about 2500 rs after paying the hotel dues and if the petrol bunk didnot accept cards we were looking at major trouble. It was time to start talking to raise cash and Pop dearest was woken up at 2330 and pursuaded to deposit some moolah into an SBI account for tomorrow's journey.
What a day it had been. The odo read as 18892 as we patted the scorp goodnight.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good fun. Love how the scorp got beached.

Have heard similar stories of boleros beached, and of villagers desperately running away than be conscripted into a rescue operation
Old 30th July 2008, 18:10   #27
Team-BHP Support

No photos from Murdeshwara? Here are some: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...rudeshwar.html
Old 30th July 2008, 22:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pictures:-
1.The Lord Shiva at Murudeshwara.
2. The Chariot of the Sun at Murudeshwara.
3. The youngest team members.
4. & 5. Beached Scorpio.
Attached Thumbnails
16 Days 6 States 5500 kms-dsc00422.jpg  

16 Days 6 States 5500 kms-dsc00438.jpg  

16 Days 6 States 5500 kms-dsc00443.jpg  

16 Days 6 States 5500 kms-dsc00449.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 30th July 2008, 22:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Some More pics:-
1. Karwar.
2. Temple Sentinels at Murudeshwara.
3. Lonely Island off shore from Murudeshwara.
4. Sea as seen from near the Sun Chariot, towards NW.
5. Sea on the other side, towards SE.
6. Proximity of the road to Sea at Turtle Bay.
Attached Thumbnails
16 Days 6 States 5500 kms-dsc00420.jpg  

16 Days 6 States 5500 kms-dsc00424.jpg  

16 Days 6 States 5500 kms-dsc00434.jpg  

16 Days 6 States 5500 kms-dsc00437.jpg  

16 Days 6 States 5500 kms-dsc00440.jpg  

16 Days 6 States 5500 kms-dsc00451.jpg  

Old 31st July 2008, 11:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Nicee...must have been a nice experience....how did the scorpio perform? do give us some info so that it helps people who are thinking of buying one for touring

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks