Team-BHP - A Memmorable Vacation in Home Town and a Monsoon drive back to Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   A Memmorable Vacation in Home Town and a Monsoon drive back to Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/43204-memmorable-vacation-home-town-monsoon-drive-back-bangalore.html)

This is my first travelogue and above all first thread in TBhp. I have gone through many travelogues already posted over here. Inspired from those, I am trying to log my last vacation to my native.

I have been travelling to my native quiet often, but never stayed more than a week after I started my career. But this time I could stay at my native for 2 weeks with one-week leave and another week working from home. I also had a plan of having a whole body massage this time, which usually does during the monsoon in Kerala. One of my friend who basically from chennai also got interested in this massaging and wanted to join in me in native. As our leave plans didn’t sync for the start date, he couldn’t join me to the drive to native.

Preparations: Changed my little santro’s eyes to Osram Nighbreaker series. Took her to the Service station for an exclusive checkup, break overhauling and an oil change. Also changed the spark plugs as its life was almost over. While driving back to home, from the service centre, I could here some sound from the front right tyre. Since it was a slight one and need to start next day noon after my office work, I decided to drive anyway to native and check from there...

12th July’08, 03:00pm. Santro is loaded with our luggages. It was only 3 bags and laptop, little santro’s dicky is full…!!! Me, wife, our little one and my brother-in-law started our trip. I decided to join NICE road only via Kanakapura road so as to avoid the off-roading circus in the bannerghatta road. It took me 30 minutes to reach NICE Road, from there onwards the speedo started touching 100-110km/hr. Reached mysore by around 5pm, took the route via city, but the traffic was little more than expected and wasted 30minutes in city itself. Took a turn to Nanjangode and stopped one roadside shop for tea after a 10 minutes drive from Mysore. Had stomach full banana fry, omlets and tea. After a 30 minutes of break, again started towards Sulthan Bathery via muthanga. By 7:45, we reached the muthanga WLS and as soon as we entered, we started seing elephants of all size, out of this, one started running towards us. Suddently I speed up and escaped from there. One Jeep fellow, who was following us done a panic breaking and taken a sharp turn. We could hear the screaming of the jeep behind. Stoped Sulthan bathery for dinner, took almost an hour break and around 10pm, started again. Reached home town Payyanur via Manathawadi - Kannur route by 01:30am on 13th July’08. Droped Brother-in-law at his home. Total distance from Bangalore is 430Km and FE recorded at 17km/L 70% on AC

Unfortunately, I have no snaps for this drive. Camera was in the rear side bag

To my extream disappointment, the monsoon rains not started in full swing even after reaching July mid. Now I have to start my massage course without the company of rains. Anyway, decided to go with that, started going to the Kalari (Kalari -> A mallu word for the centre where the ancient marshial art kalaripayat is been tought) on every day early morning 4:30am. The massaging is one hour daily for 9 days. I could come back by 6am with fully immersed in oil.

Meanwhile corrected the sound coming from Santro’s front right tyre, it actually came from the break caliper unit which was loose due the aged little connecting shaft. Adjusted the play with a small piece of ashoka blade at local service centre..lol:

Few days gone eventlessly, my friend reached Payyanur from Bangalore by bus. Arranged his accomodation in a hotel in town so that he will have little more mobility and privacy than in my home. Though it’s a small town in the north kerala, hotel rates are pretty high. Talked to the manager personally to get a good deal and got a 30% reduction in the room rent. The hotel details visit their web at ::: KK RESIDENCY - fine place to stay in north malabar ::::

On the first day of my friends arrival, I took him to a nearby backwater which around 10km away from payyanur. The place is called “Edayilakkadu” which is near to Trikkaripur and then to Ettikulam beach in the shores of Ezhimala Naval Base (INS Samorin). Let the snaps tell you the details about these places. My camera is an entry-level old cannon powershot, so pictures are not so lively.

Very scenic pics there Rajesh, are there more resorts and hotels by the sea nearby?
How good is it as a tourist destination?
Regards
Hari.

On 19th July, I was working from home till 3pm. After this, went to my old house which is about 30km east side of Payyanur. While going we took a small deviation to see one hiltop temple. There, one dance and music study centre for Kannur University is also functioning. Here is some snaps…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker (Post 920679)
Very scenic pics there Rajesh, are there more resorts and hotels by the sea nearby?
How good is it as a tourist destination?
Regards
Hari.

The nearby good resort is Nalanda resort at Nileswar, on the side of NH-17. For hotel, KK Residency at payyanur is the better one....

lovelies. picturesque home town. what a place to go to ...!

@Rajesh, Nice writeup. I too love this part of the district.
Used to come for fishing with friends near the naval base way back in 1997-99.

BTW where is your old house (name of the place)

PS : I too hail from Kannur.

On 20th July, Sunday, we decided to go to Kannur to see the St.Angelo Fort. I have seen this place during a one day picnic while studying in 4th standard. After many years, visiting this place again. The fort has lots of history to tell us. It was built in 1505 by the first Portuguese Viceroy to India, Don Francisco De Almeida. Many blood-shed wars were happened in and around the fort and it witnessed many casualities in the fights by Arabs, portugese and the locals. One of the tourist police he was so cordial to us explained one old Dutch imprints on a granite piece.

This ended up buying his book on the history of the fort. (Book is in malayalam, and it is good and has all informations). I could read that the fort before getting to hands of ASI, the ownership was changed atleast 5 times…!!

For this trip, we gave rest to the little santro (I am 6’4” tall actually get folded in to it ) and went by Bus.

Here is the snaps from the fort

Great description and pics :)

Kerala has truly lot of greenery.

I have a friend there at Kannur too.

Nice write-up!! The pictures look awesome! Is this a touristi spot or just one of the quite towns in that part?

Gautam its one of the quite towns(in terms of large scale tourism):) in this part of kerala AKA north malabar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorsaLove (Post 920830)
Nice write-up!! The pictures look awesome! Is this a touristi spot or just one of the quite towns in that part?

Nice start Rajesh !! Nice pics too !!

Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan (Post 920881)
Gautam its one of the quite towns(in terms of large scale tourism):) in this part of kerala AKA north malabar.

Nitin, thanks a lot

Quote:

Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan (Post 920736)
@Rajesh, Nice writeup. I too love this part of the district.

BTW where is your old house (name of the place)

PS : I too hail from Kannur.

The place name is Vellora, and glad to know you r from Kannur

Quote:

Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan (Post 920736)
Used to come for fishing with friends near the naval base way back in 1997-99.

Here are some for re-igniting ur memory lol:

good trip. I looks like i too did the same set of things. took three weeks off, one week massage and visit kerala. fix the brakes as sson as you can.
i too stayed in KKresidency. Good rooms (rates!!) but bad food (fish dishes were good).

Nice pictures and travelogues.

Sine you a a localite can you list some more places of tourist attraction if one goes visiting there and any more hotel options nearby ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 921134)
Nice pictures and travelogues.

Sine you a a localite can you list some more places of tourist attraction if one goes visiting there and any more hotel options nearby ??

@dadu here you go.
Some info about kannur

Places of Interest

Arakkal Kettu or Arakkal Museum: Arakkal Palace is 3 km from Kannur town.

Valapattanam : The small town of Valapattanam, also known as Baliapattom, on the banks of the Valapattanam river, is located 7 km away from Kannur. Boat cruise is an exciting experience on the Valapatanam river.

Dharmadam Island : Dharmadam Island is a main picnic spot situated 17 kms from Kannur, located in the Arabian sea at a distance of 100 meters from the shore.

Madayi Para : Historically and religiously significant Madayi Para, is a small hill located near Pazhayangadi, around 25 km from Kannur.

Madayi Mosque : This beautiful ancient mosque was originally built in 1124 by Malik Ibn Dinar, a Muslim preacher.

Parassinikadavu Sree Muthappan Temple :
Parassinikkadavu Sree Muthappan Temple is situated 18 km away from Kannur on the banks of river Valapattanam,the only place where the ritualistic dance 'Theyyam' is performed all around the year.

Aralam Wild Life Sanctuary :
AThe tranquil Aralam Wildlife sanctuary spread over 55 square kilometres on the slopes of the Western Ghats is situated 60kms from Kannur and 35kms from Thalassery.

Ezhimala :
Ezhimala is a beautiful hilly area blessed by nature situated very close to the sea, 55 km away from Kannur.

Kottiyoor : Kottiyoor, also known as Dakshina Kasi or Varanasi of the South, is 60 km away from Kannur town.
Pythal Mala :Pythal Mala is the scenic cliff at Sreekandapuram, around 65km from Kannur Town

Beaches & Dams

Pazhassi Dam :
Pazhassi dam, an ideal retreat for tourists, is located at a distance of 37 km east of Kannur near Mattanur.

Payyambalam Beach : Payyambalam Beach is a quiet and beautiful beach which lies 2 km away from Kannur Fort.

Thottada Beach :Thottada Beach, also known as Kottayamkandy beach, is at a distance of about 7 km from Kannur town.

Kizhunna Ezhara Beach : Located about 11 kms from Kannur, Kizhunna Ezhara Beach with a beautiful stretch of golden sand is one of the most sheltered beaches in Kerala

Meenkunnu Beach : Meenkunnu Beach is situated at Azhikkode 12 km away from Kannur.

Muzhapilangad Beach : Muzhappilangad Beach which spreads about 4km is said to be the only Drive-in beach in Kerala.

Forts & Parks

St. Angelo Fort and Moppila Bay : St.Angelos Fort or Kannur Fort is 2 Kms from kannur town

Thalasseri Fort : Thalassery Fort is in Thalassery (Tellicherry) a town in Kannur.

Parassinikadavu Snake Park :
Parassinikadavu situated about 16 Kms from Kannur.

Hotels In Kannur

Hotel Paris Presidency, Thalassery
Malabar Residency, Kannur
Royal Omars, Kannur
Kamala International Tourist Hotel, Kannur
Mascot Beach Resort, Kannur
Hotel Omar's Inn, Kannur
Hotel Highway Inn,Thalipparambu, Kannur
Perumal Tourist Home, Payyannur, Kannur
Yathri Nivas,Kannur
K.K. Tourist Home,Peravoor, Kannur
KK Residency, Payyanur

I guess this will give you an overview of the place.:)