Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

On new Wheels to Nandi!!

New alloys and new tyres and just 30 kms done after fitment!!
My hands and feet were itching to test out the new footwear, but after most of a lazy sunday spent at home, I jumped at the idea of a drive when my mom and wife said they were bored.

I did not want to drive into town, and mom was feeling like a temple visit, so we decided to drive out to the foothills of Nandi Hills where the ancient Bhoganandeeshwara temple is located.

The new tyres were tested for their mettle as it started pouring just as we left Yelahanka, there was a marked improvement in road grip under wet conditions when compared to the NCT5s I had earlier.

After Devanahalli town the road reduces from a six lane highway to a normal two lane road with expansion in progress, lots of potholed roads saw the car getting dirty and the ride was quite comfortable. There was hardly any tyre noise.

Now let the pictures do the talking:

Car with nandi hills in the background
On new Wheels to Nandi!!-dsc03023-medium.jpg

The lawns outside the temple
On new Wheels to Nandi!!-dsc03024-medium.jpg

Temple quadrangle
On new Wheels to Nandi!!-dsc03028-medium.jpg

Hide and seek with Nandi hills
On new Wheels to Nandi!!-dsc03029-medium.jpg

Another view of the courtyard
On new Wheels to Nandi!!-dsc03031-medium.jpg

The temple tank (Kalyani)
On new Wheels to Nandi!!-dsc03034-medium.jpg

The carved tower
On new Wheels to Nandi!!-dsc03036-medium.jpg

Clouds playing hide and seek now
On new Wheels to Nandi!!-dsc03039-medium.jpg

Wheel of the chariot
On new Wheels to Nandi!!-dsc03040-medium.jpg

Rear of the temple
On new Wheels to Nandi!!-dsc03042-medium.jpg

Awathi saibaba Temple
On new Wheels to Nandi!!-dsc03043-medium.jpg

This Saibaba temple is one of the most tranquil temples I have visited, the evening Bhajan between 5.30 to 6.00 really puts you in a trance.
Moreover it is a nice 20 kilometre drive from my place.

Total distance to Nandeeshwara Temple from my place (Yelahanka) is approx 30 kms.

Overall, I'm happy with the tyres and hope they continue to perform as beautifully.

Cheers,
Hari.
Old 4th August 2008, 08:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics Hari, Is this the same temple which we see from atop Nandi Hills? I mean instead of taking the right turn for Nandi hill climb if you keep going straight you should reach this temple. Am I right?

Abhi
Old 4th August 2008, 08:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this the same temple which we see from atop Nandi Hills? I mean instead of taking the right turn for Nandi hill climb if you keep going straight you should reach this temple. Am I right?
It could be the temple which we see from the top, I've not actually sought out this temple from the top.

Two ways of reaching this temple are:
At Karahalli cross, that is the T-Junction where you turn left towards the peripheral road around the hills, you turn right instead.

Otherwise drive straight on after the Nandi hills cross on NH, about 10 kms or so, just at a spot where a flyover construction is being undertaken, you will see a temple arc on your left. Take that left turn, the temple is about 3 kms down this road.
Old 4th August 2008, 09:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

Looks much better with Alloys, what size did you go for? What new tyres?

The temple looks very interesting, looks similar to Vijayanagara style. Any idea about the history?
Old 4th August 2008, 09:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hari the road Nandi hills looks lush and green mate. BTW never knew such a temple existed at the foot hills.
Old 4th August 2008, 10:27   #6
BHPian

Great pics Hari. I tried the same the last time I was there, but got in to an altercation with the village panchayat guys there.
Old 4th August 2008, 10:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

Car looks good against that background, Hari. A good one for post processing.
Old 4th August 2008, 11:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

The temple looks very interesting, looks similar to Vijayanagara style. Any idea about the history?
This is still an active temple. I managed a chat with the aged head priest who still manages the show. For how long though, your guess is as good as mine.

He knows only Kannada and Tamil. According to him, the temple was built in parts by various dynasties; the 2 prominent ones being the Cholas and the Hoysalas. He said that the Banas (TN), Vijaynagara and the Chalukyas have also done their bit. I think the Banas were around the same period as the Cholas.

You can see the Chola and Hoysala (as you pointed out correctly) influence prominently. As such the temple has various sections according to the dynasty that contributed as such.

Overall that would date this temple to around 1100 AD at least I guess. Although, the priest pointed out some parts saying they pre-date all these dynasties mentioned above to 900 AD. Rarely do you come across a priest so knowledgeable about their temple. But this gentleman's family has been here for a few generations it seems.

Hari has definitely done a good job with his pics. The alloys look good too.
Old 4th August 2008, 13:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Great place and wonderful photos! And the climate did help in getting some cool snaps.

Did not know that there was such a place near Nandi hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
...Otherwise drive straight on after the Nandi hills cross on NH, about 10 kms or so, just at a spot where a flyover construction is being undertaken, you will see a temple arc on your left. Take that left turn, the temple is about 3 kms down this road.
thanks for the direction. Next weekend plan in the making!
Old 4th August 2008, 15:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics. the backdrop for pics is also nice. Thanks for sharing....Never imagined this kind of temple at foothills of Nandi even though I personally have gone there so many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
thanks for the direction. Next weekend plan in the making!
We are thinking of T-BHP meet this weekend. Hope you are making it this time. If you do not intend to go to above temple.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...eet-bangy.html

Last edited by snaronikar : 4th August 2008 at 15:08.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.
@ Samurai
Quote:
15", Lenso, with Michelin Energy MXV8, 195/60/15

@ DaiusPitar
Quote:
Great pics Hari. I tried the same the last time I was there, but got in to an altercation with the village panchayat guys there.
What exactly did you try? I don't think I did anything which would offend anybody.

@ Rudra
Quote:
Car looks good against that background, Hari. A good one for post processing.
I'd love it if you could work ur magic on the car picture.

This temple is not known to many people, it is a heritage site now, ideal getaway for peace and tranquility.
Old 4th August 2008, 17:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Though, I went to Nandi hills but never knew that such a beautiful temple is there in foothills of Nandi Hill. Even Sai Baba temple is icing on cake . Next time when we plan to visit Nandi hills, I will visit both of these temples.
Thanks for direction.

You car looks gorgeous with these alloys and red color. For me Red color is always tempting.
Old 4th August 2008, 18:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Drive further from the temple about 20km and you should reach the Skandagiri hiking spot.

Skandagiri is a 2-3hr trek to the top. this spot is known for the morning sunrise, so guess what, you need to start "very" early, and reach the top before 6:00am.

cheers!
Srini

Most Viewed