Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:11   #1
Team-BHP Support

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats

This was not a regular test drive. I wanted to find out whether my Jeep engine still overheats while climbing uphill. For this test, I replaced the coolant with regular tap water. Since Agumbe is just within 50km from home, I figured on doing a quick drive up and down.

So far my almost 8 year old son is quite skittish about riding a Jeep in the back. He holds on to the roll bars as if his life depends on it. Today my wife offered to take him too. Although at first he was unsure, he didn't want to keep missing drives because of his Jeep phobia. So he agreed to come.

We left home at 11:30AM thinking we should be back by 2PM. Therefore, my wife didn't tell her mom about our plans. Three of us took-off in the GV to the office to pick up the Jeep. After doing some checks, we finally started off in the Jeep at 11:45AM.

Within minutes after taking off, I started noticing this new sound which I had never heard before. This noise was additional to the usual diesel cacophony. I starting thinking there is some new problem after the recent session in the garage. After about 10Kms of driving, I looked down and noticed something odd, the 4WD lever was in the wrong place. The 4WD was engaged! I quickly stopped and jumped out to check the hubs, they were still unlocked. So I was driving the Jeep in 4WD mode on tarmac with the hubs unlocked. That explained the freakish unfamiliar noise. Since hubs were not locked, I guess the transmission windup can’t happen, so I think it should be fine. Guys, please correct if I am wrong.

So I started again in 2WD mode and the noise was gone, the Jeep became smooth with just the engine hum and nothing else. That’s one more checklist for next time, always check the 4WD lever before starting.

The road near Sita River nature resort.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031320.jpg

Soon we hit the familiar Agumbe Ghats towering over us. It was covered in clouds and looked inviting. So far the engine temp never crossed 80C.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031324.jpg

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031325.jpg

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031326.jpg

This is a beautiful drive, checkout the video if you have the bandwidth: (I'll add the link later)

And I had to take a break at my favorite photo point, the hair pin curve 3. In fact I was forced to take the break, the engine was already overheating, shooting past 90C after only 3-4Kms of light uphill climbing.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031329.jpg

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031336.jpg

And then we continued, the visibility got low due to fog and cloud, I had to switch on fogs to warn oncoming vehicles. After few more hair pin curves, we hit 100C and it was time to stop again. But we couldn’t get out to look under the hood, it was raining cats and dogs. We are inside the clouds, it is raining hard, but we are stopping because engine is overheating 20C above normal.

Samurai : photos : Agumbe Trip- powered by SmugMug

Samurai : photos : Agumbe Trip- powered by SmugMug

The engine is off, so the loud noise you hear in the video is just rain sound, enjoy.

Finally we hit the famous sunset point, and we are the only vehicle there apart from two food vendors who start muttering their sales pitch just for our benefit. One guy was selling ice-cream, height of optimism or stupidity? Anyway, the rain had stopped, so we could get out. Thanks to the hard rain, some clouds had cleared showing us these wonderful views.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031337.jpg

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031338.jpg

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031339.jpg

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031342.jpg

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031343.jpg

Meanwhile I hear my son screaming. I turn and see that the Jeep is under siege by the local monkeys. They were probing the soft-top to find a way inside. The dumb monkeys didn’t realise that driver side flap was not closed, they were trying to get in from top or passenger side.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031346.jpg

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031347.jpg

While my wife and son tried to chase them, they were put on back foot by a snarling counter-attack by the lead monkey in the second picture. It was time for the man of the house to take charge. Well, …um… I charged in waving the E3 and screaming a war-cry, all that NCC training came in handy. The fearless charge cowed the monkey gang and they ran away. I closed the driver side flap and returned to my photography putting my family in charge of holding the fort. As I left, the fort was again breached and the defenders were chased away. I turned and saw the lead monkey trying to tear away the top. My second charge must have put Mel Gibson in Braveheart to shame, and again the Vanara Sena took to the trees. I didn’t want to leave the Jeep to their attack again, so we decided to move on.

As we continued towards the Agumbe town beyond the police gate, the road looked like a dream scene. After a brief photo session I had to practically dive into the Jeep to escape a sudden onslaught of rain.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031350.jpg

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031351.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd August 2008 at 23:21.
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

It was 1:45PM by now, so we decided to have lunch at Agumbe. Since we had never eaten here, we had no idea about the restaurants. After passing 3-4 shanty like restaurants, we finally saw Kamath Hotel where an Endeavor was parked. What’s good enough for the Endy should be good enough for the Jeep, so we got into the parking lot, yes they had one. Meanwhile the rain is pouring endlessly.

While having the decent vegetarian meals, we trying calling home, but couldn’t get signal. The restaurant people told us Agumbe gets only BSNL and no other signal. If you want Airtel, go to the sunset point.

After lunch we turned back, as we got closer to sunset point we see this steps going up. Since we had never climbed it before we thought of trying it today, I mean we are in no hurry. So we crossed the sunset point, took an U-turn and came back. Meanwhile we notice that the clouds have fully covered the sunset point, despite that there were 5-6 vehicles parked hoping to see something. Fortunately we had much better view while coming up.

We parked here, this is 100m beyond the designated sunset point.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031353.jpg

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031354.jpg

After climbing about 30-40 steps, we reach a view point with cement benches.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031362.jpg

And this is the view we got from there, nothing but clouds beyond the trees.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031359.jpg

And on the rock in front of the seat, we found this snake taking a shower in the rain. It stayed there without moving, I was not sure whether it was dead or alive. Anyway, I didn’t want to take a chance, so I didn’t get closer than 3 ft. Can anyone identify the snake, I thought it was a viper, but not too sure. I wanted to switch to the telezoom lens for a close-up shot, but it was raining lightly, so I didn’t dare changing lens in the open rain.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031363.jpg

My wife and son descending the stairs while using the dupatta as raincap.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031360.jpg

Later when I followed them, I could barely see them along the Jeep.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031366.jpg

Some of you might be wondering how I am shooting these photos in rain risking my dSLR gear. My Olympus dSLR gear (body & lens) is fully weather proof, I only need to wipe it dry after a session in rain.

As we continue back home, we come across one of my favorite spot in this road. So I had to take some shots.

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031367.jpg

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031368.jpg

Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats-p8031370.jpg

Meanwhile, my phone rings and it is my mother-in-law. I quickly hand it over to my wife who tells her mom that we already had our lunch at Agumbe. After getting angry retort she quickly disconnects the call. Apparently her mom had prepared chicken curry for lunch and waiting for us to return while we were munching veggie food in Agumbe.

While all this is happening, it is raining very hard and I have still kept my side of the flap open. My right side is mostly wet. I mean where is the fun in driving a soft-top with all flaps on? While we are enjoying ourselves in the Jeep ride in pouring rain, we see a familiar Trax Judo driving the other way pulling a trailer carrying two rafts. Holy cow, somebody was going for afternoon session of white water rafting in pouring rain in a really wild Sita river which is overflowing thanks to all the rains. Suddenly we are envying the chaps who are taking that ride. I mean they will have more fun than we had today. Darn!

As we were coming back, I noticed that my son had lost all his fear of riding Jeeps. I saw him sitting in the back bench without a care, not holding any part of the rollbar. Looks like he has conquered the fear.

We finally reached home around 4:10PM. The engine temp during the downhill driving mostly stayed around 50-60C and never crossed 70C in the entire return drive.

The conclusion of the test: My jeep engine starts overheating to 100C whenever it climbs for 10-15 minutes even in pouring rain. The cause can be discussed in my Jeep thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...r-jeep-17.html

Last edited by Samurai : 4th August 2008 at 08:31.
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Lovely. Would a pepper spray have been out of place here?

/Am an animal lover, but monkeys in particular need to learn to fear humans, instead of what you underwent. What say?
//Carry one on my rides, but prefer to use stones/sticks. Has worked all the time. The spray is for SOS worst cast wonlee.
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:54   #4
BHPian

great photos, and that must be quite an adventure for you and for the monkeys as well, what lens did you use and what make of Olympus?
Old 4th August 2008, 00:08   #5
BHPian

wow samurai,great snaps!!and in a jeep i am sure you would have had a nice trip!!
i had gone to shringeri just last week i9n my palio.that small stretch of road before agumbe is really narrow with steep banks-i graed my car's belly once when a bus came from the opposite side!!
the hair=pin bends really sharp!!and the monkeys near that view point really nasty too!!
Old 4th August 2008, 00:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Terrific snaps (as usual), Samurai!

We've been attacked by the monkey gang on Agumbe too (on our way to Sringeri). The locals around said the best way to drive them away is to bend down and pretend to pick up a stone.

Dont get too close to vipers, though.

Butttttttttt - ENGINE TESTING???
Old 4th August 2008, 05:27   #7
BHPian

Awesome pictures as usual. Love the new flog lamps on the jeep
Old 4th August 2008, 05:48   #8
BHPian

Hey Samurai, the photos of the location has ignited more passion towards the Jeep. Awesome snaps and which snake is that? Was he having a nap there?

The fog lights in that mist is really looking classy.
Old 4th August 2008, 06:05   #9
BHPian

I really envy you Samurai, you get to stay close to such a beautiful place. The weather looks inviting. Aaarrghh....i missed my booking by 2 days to Sakleshpur and now they have a Dirt Track Rally going on there this 15th. So no bookings are open for this long weekend.
Old 4th August 2008, 07:36   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
what lens did you use and what make of Olympus?
E3 + 14-54mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Butttttttttt - ENGINE TESTING???
Umm, cooling system testing then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
Awesome pictures as usual. Love the new flog lamps on the jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
The fog lights in that mist is really looking classy.
It was Rs.312 a pair, the only model available here. I wanted fogs with a good spread, but these act more like focus lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Hey Samurai, the photos of the location has ignited more passion towards the Jeep.
I have discovered that driving a doorless Jeep in natural surroundings is a fantastic experience, so I loath to close the flap even when it is raining. No, driving a car/suv with windows down doesn't even come close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftron View Post
I really envy you Samurai, you get to stay close to such a beautiful place.
That's true. But when I need any decent auto part, I have to come to Bangalore or beg somebody in Bangalore to get it for me.
Old 4th August 2008, 08:03   #11
BHPian

Samurai, nice set of shots there. Aah, what a beautiful way to spend a sunday afternoon. You are making the best use of living in a country side.
regards
tifosi
Old 4th August 2008, 09:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pics there Samurai. The jeep looks darn good, very much home in those surroundings.

I envy you, staying so close to so many picturesque locations
Old 4th August 2008, 09:33   #13
BHPian

Clean & lovely weather! Beautiful scenery!! Macho vehicle! Creative eyes (Samurai). That jeep looks so apt for the surroundings unlike any vehicle.

By the way its not a viper.. its a Rat snake.. not harmful.. but is very fast and grows in great length. Cant comment on dead/alive (as thats a natures gift to reptiles to pretend dead even when alive)
Old 4th August 2008, 09:37   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire View Post
By the way its not a viper.. its a Rat snake.. not harmful.. but is very fast and grows in great length. Cant comment on dead/alive (as thats a natures gift to reptiles to pretend dead even when alive)
Hey, are you sure? I have seen enough rat snakes, they move like a bullet train every time I saw one. This one has triangular head like a pit viper.
Old 4th August 2008, 09:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hey, are you sure? I have seen enough rat snakes, they move like a bullet train every time I saw one. This one has triangular head like a pit viper.
Did you get the snake home

Because i have 2 near my home, similiar triangular head. One frequents our basement. 3 occasions the snake-catchers have come and 2 commented after seeing it as Rat-snakes(even i am no snake expert, but with the looks of YOUR snake.. it must be the same). There are a lot of rodents and frogs near my house.. iam surrounded by 17 acres of greens vegetations.. always damp..full of such creatures

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks