Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 14:29   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
We had gone up to Rohtang during peak winter late december and it was a dangerous experience. Also, isn't having Maggi in those chill environs an awesome experience?

Please post as many snaps as possible. Also, it would be nice to see pictures of the trecherous roads while going from Manali towards Rohtang.

Btw, even i thought two words were quite prominent in your travelogue( Boozing & Rum)
Yeah man, having a plate of steaming masala maggi felt good amidst all the rain and wind. Me and wifey picked a corner with couple of chairs and a table and just sat there enjoying. And hey, both man and machine need their fuel, the car got petrol on time and I got my rum!
I never got an opportunity to click pictures while going to Rohtang as it was raining all the way.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 7th August 2008 at 14:31.
Old 7th August 2008, 14:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Amazing pics lord !! That is the scenary to die for.

Nice writeup as well

Abhi
Thanks man! Some of the pics came out even better that I had expected. And I just wrote my heart out while writing the log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Seeing all the fabulous pictures of travels in India I am now feeling there's too little time and way too much to do Thanks for sharing the pictures. The Himalayas truly are aweinspiring
You said it! The Himalayas are just too good. The more you explore them, the more you want to keep coming back and explore some more. I'll be posting more pics in time (mods please lemme know if I become too overenthusiastic going about that!), so watch out this space.
Old 7th August 2008, 15:02   #18
BHPian

really nice pictures!!.
i was in narkanda with two of my friends on 12th and 13th of july and stayed at same HPTDC hotel whose front grill pictures you have clicked. really nice place.i had one of the best dinner, breakfast i ever had in himachal in this hotel only. I never had such a tasty food else where in HPTDC HOTELS.
On 12th we made a failed attempt to trek all the way to Hatu Top which is 8kms from narkanda because of rain.
On 13th morning power window of rear door of my esteem( same colours as yours) once slided down refused come up because of some wire cutting.
We got it done at maruti service center theog while on our way back. Maruti has service stations even in the remotest part of himachal.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th August 2008 at 17:16. Reason: do not use more than 2 smileys per post
Old 7th August 2008, 16:36   #19
BHPian

WOW!!! beautiful. your travelogue has kindled my interest to drive to HP. Last year i had been there but by train from Delhi.
Old 7th August 2008, 17:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Lovely and amazing it is. I really think you missed the basic funda of water crossings. Any stream is a whimper in the morning and picks up fury as it melts and day passes.

That said, lovely pics. I so so so so need to get my *** out there.
Old 8th August 2008, 10:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Lordofgondor,

Very nice narration and pictures are crisp. 4th snap is amazing with blue yonder.

Dwarak
Old 8th August 2008, 14:15   #22
BHPian

Wonderful stuff!

Lord, how well connected are these places? For people from down south, getting upto delhi is no problem. After that what would be the best option? Hire a cab? Take a bus? Are the buses good?
Old 8th August 2008, 15:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Super pics Lord. Thanks for posting...
Old 8th August 2008, 16:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Wonderful stuff!

Lord, how well connected are these places? For people from down south, getting upto delhi is no problem. After that what would be the best option? Hire a cab? Take a bus? Are the buses good?
You can easily reach Shimla by train, Volvo bus, but from there hiring a car is the best option. Buses run to Rampur, Recong Peo etc but they are the ordinary local bus variety, which may not be very comfortable and also crowded. Besides, you will have to interchange to local buses/ shared jeeps at the nearest big towns (like Rampur, Recong Peo) to travel further to Sarahan, Sangla and Kalpa.
Old 8th August 2008, 16:54   #25
Team-BHP Support

There is a deluxe bus from Chd to Recong Po around 5:30am from chandigarh. Takes around 8 hours to reach Kalpa
Old 8th August 2008, 17:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

lordodgondor, what a lovely log and photos!
What a pity about the road to Chitkul.
Seeing your photos, and I think there are too few, of Kinnaur, I'm really getting to itch to head out soon.

The route you took to Kullu was very desolate? By any chance did you go via Chindi & Rohanda to Pundoh? What a beautiful route, especially during the monsoon!
Old 11th August 2008, 11:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Lovely and amazing it is. I really think you missed the basic funda of water crossings. Any stream is a whimper in the morning and picks up fury as it melts and day passes.
Thanks for the tip mate! Will definitely keep in mind for future trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Hi Lordofgondor,
Very nice narration and pictures are crisp. 4th snap is amazing with blue yonder.
Dwarak
Yeah man, I really loved gazing into those lovely clean blue skies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Wonderful stuff!
If you hire a cab, I would recommend that you take some decent SUV like Scorpio/Gurkha/Force Cruiser and not an Innova. We saw some Innova's on the climbs and all they were doing was blocking the vehicles behind with their sluggishness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The route you took to Kullu was very desolate? By any chance did you go via Chindi & Rohanda to Pundoh? What a beautiful route, especially during the monsoon!
Yup it was real destitute of inhabitants for quite a while. The road was in a bad shape and a sharp incline for a long distance. All around we saw clouds, greenery and a man or two once in a while. Can't recollect any of the places you have mentioned though.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

beautiful pics. I wish to plan this trip once again, but its difficult to do that with 1.5 year young kid.
Old 11th August 2008, 13:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Exciting Story

Hai Lord,

Enjoyed your pictures and exciting story.... so spontaneous and colourful.

Thanks for sharing.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
-----------
Old 2nd September 2008, 20:25   #30

Great!!!

Really intersting write up and pretty good picks. I was there in Sangla and Chitkul the August last year and will be there this September too. Just love that place.

I had a couple of weeks long trip and just stayed at Sangla....drove from Hyderabad to Sangla with my friends and my babies (my labradors).....the road to chikul was cut at that time as one of the villages got washed away and there was no road for about 50meters in between Sangla and Chitkul. We had a pretty amazing experience going to Chitkul where we first hired a jeep and then were helped by army trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Travelogue: Kalpa-Sangla-Sarahan-Rohtang-picture-023.jpg  

Travelogue: Kalpa-Sangla-Sarahan-Rohtang-picture-036.jpg  

Travelogue: Kalpa-Sangla-Sarahan-Rohtang-picture-051.jpg  

Travelogue: Kalpa-Sangla-Sarahan-Rohtang-picture-057.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks