Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2009, 08:24   #76
Senior - BHPian

SB, RKB etc, nice pics to bring back memories. Did any of you check out the reversible seats on the shinkansen? The clearance between the train and the platform edge..[oops track edge]

Happy moments thinking of Japan!

Keep it coming!
Old 14th March 2009, 15:22   #77
BHPian

Nostalgic. Where are the Sakura snaps? You must be having nice pics...
Old 14th March 2009, 23:46   #78
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant thread. Brings back fond memories, especially the pictures of Shinjuku. I roamed around those very same areas.

I stayed at the Keio Plaza Hotel and if I remember correctly, Hilton was right across. Beautiful place and you are right about the food. But I adapted quite quickly. Can't wait to visit again. Keep the pictures coming.

Drifter
Old 15th March 2009, 17:31   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@cnaganathan, at which place/station is the 2nd picture of the bullet trains shot ?
It was shot at the Nagano station on 01 Jan 2006. On that day we experienced a bullet train breakdown also!!!
Old 15th March 2009, 17:38   #80
VKJ
BHPian

Wonderful memories put forth with stunning photos Rajiv, especially I liked the cruise one! Awesome!
Old 15th March 2009, 19:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

Oh, I just missed that the thread is alive again.

BTW I might be going to Tokyo again, for some time, though not final yet. Client has specifically asked my org to send me , and this is big time, as International employee, getting funds to buy car, kids educations etc. I will be going there just for the sake earning some money.

But this time I am going with some Japanese skills. Anyways Japanese language interest me alot and I had plans to learn it.
Old 16th March 2009, 10:26   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Oh, I just missed that the thread is alive again.

BTW I might be going to Tokyo again, for some time, though not final yet. Client has specifically asked my org to send me , and this is big time, as International employee, getting funds to buy car, kids educations etc. I will be going there just for the sake earning some money.

But this time I am going with some Japanese skills. Anyways Japanese language interest me alot and I had plans to learn it.
It was probably reopened because I made a post in the wrong thread and it was moved here.

All the best and waiting to hear from you soon from Japan.

BTW, when I was there I found the Kumaon school a good place to learn japanese.
Old 16th March 2009, 12:00   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Good to time to start. Since there exams are only in December every year, you can start directly for the 3rd level.

Btw, its LOT cheaper here to get the training than in japan. Unless company sponsors you
Old 6th April 2009, 14:51   #84
BHPian

Fond Memories

Guys - no intention of hijacking this thread. It just brought fond memories of my several trips to Japan. Absolutely love this place for what they have achieved. Thought of posting some pics for you to enjoy..!

1. Yokohama "landmark tower" where our office is lcoated.
2. Some cars to drool on
3. Hakone - A dormant volcano n boiled eggs to eat
4. Tokyo disneyland
5. Akihabara - place to buy electronic goods
6. Kamakura - bronze statue of lord buddha
Attached Thumbnails
My experience in Japan-japan-photos-011.jpg  

My experience in Japan-japan-photos-013.jpg  

My experience in Japan-japan-photos-086.jpg  

My experience in Japan-sta702911.jpg  

My experience in Japan-japan-photos-061.jpg  

My experience in Japan-japan-photos-022.jpg  

Old 9th April 2009, 12:47   #85
BHPian

hi,

i will be travelling to japan next weekend on official purpose. please help me regarding the travel ( what to pack and other stuff) and precuations to tak..

Is it not allowed to carry RICE from here to Japan ?

Thanks in advance
Old 9th April 2009, 13:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Guys - no intention of hijacking this thread. It just brought fond memories of my several trips to Japan.
Beautiful pics NFS, please post more pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
hi,

i will be travelling to japan next weekend on official purpose. please help me regarding the travel ( what to pack and other stuff) and precuations to tak..

Is it not allowed to carry RICE from here to Japan ?

Thanks in advance
No precaution as such buddy, Japan is pretty safe. Where are you staying in Japan and for how long?

Carry all the spices if you intend to cook yourself. BTW are you Veg or Non-Veg?

You will find rice on most of the stores but they are not very good. Carrying packed rice is ok. Also carry some ready to cook meals, very helpful for quick feast.

I have lots of maps and guide books for Tokyo and nearby. Will post the scanned copies.
Old 9th April 2009, 14:14   #87
Senior - BHPian

sri, saw your PM, just thought of replying here as it might help others. As you are pure veg, you will have tough time, without a doubt. Japanese does not what is vegetarian. So magic word is Cooking and I hope you cook well. Its very difficult to find vegeterian food.

You do get some veg dishes in some coffee shops like Pronto but they are not good enough to fill the stomach.

Carry as much stuff as you can, Pulses, Rice, spices, Packed food etc. Sugar/Tea is available in the stores.

For the duration you are there, its good to have a cell. Softbank had one 8000 Yen plan, in which they provide very nice handset and 1000Yen of prepaid time. Docomo had no prepaid plans with mobile.

Buy maps or guides from India, they are very very costly in Japan.

Also once you are there, buy a SUICA card for travelling. Its valid in most of the public transport(Bus/Train/Tram/Subway/monorail) and will save a lot of hassel of counting change. Very interesting, just keep it in your wallet, and whenver required just swap your wallet on the scanner, no need to take the card out.

Also its good to keep the English verbals of important Japanese words handy. Like 1 - 10 (ichi, nee etc etc). And words like Aligato, Gozaimas, sumemasen etc etc. Search google, you will find plenty

BTW, I am not traveling to Japan for now. Had the option of a Domestic assignment or Japan assignment, and I opted for domestic. But will love to go to Japan for long time

Last edited by rkbharat : 9th April 2009 at 14:23.
Old 9th April 2009, 14:37   #88
BHPian

Thanks bharat,

Your info is very much useful to people travelling to japan. I know that it will be tough for vegetarians in japan ( from our fellow team-mates) . But still want to see how it will be . Hoping for the best ..
Old 9th April 2009, 14:54   #89
Senior - BHPian

Actually there is so much info I can not recall at present. Keep asking questions and I will try to find info.
Quote:
Thanks bharat,

Your info is very much useful to people travelling to japan. I know that it will be tough for vegetarians in japan ( from our fellow team-mates) . But still want to see how it will be . Hoping for the best ..
Old 13th April 2009, 16:56   #90
BHPian

Quote:
hi,

i will be travelling to japan next weekend on official purpose. please help me regarding the travel ( what to pack and other stuff) and precuations to tak.. Is it not allowed to carry RICE from here to Japan ?

Thanks in advance
1. Carry route directions/maps in japanese to reach your hotel/place of stay

2. If you are a veggie, then its best to stay in a weekly mansion as that way you get to cook what you want and they provide you all the utilities. Also you can order MTR ready to eat stuff from an Indian store online and they deliver all you need to your doorstep (including cheap calling cards).You can visit the site www.indojin.com to order all the ready to eat stuff from here. Just heat it in an oven and enjoy your meal
The only hitch is the delivery guy who usually happens to be a Japanese and directing him to your place of stay can be quite a pain

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks