Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 01:09   #76
BHPian

Awesome

In Feb this year I did a Phoenix-Las Vegas-Grand Canyon-Phoenix over one of the weekends, will do a write-up soon with pics

Had originaly taken a Mustang to do it but swapped it with Chevy Impala later on.

In an previous attempt I used a Pontiac G-6 but had to return from Flagstaff due to heavy Snowfalls
Attached Thumbnails
2400 Mile Adventure in Arizona (involving Grand Canyon) in 4 days-dsc00385.jpg  

2400 Mile Adventure in Arizona (involving Grand Canyon) in 4 days-picture-207.jpg  

2400 Mile Adventure in Arizona (involving Grand Canyon) in 4 days-dsc00444.jpg  

2400 Mile Adventure in Arizona (involving Grand Canyon) in 4 days-dsc00609.jpg  

Old 20th August 2008, 05:05   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
What a mind-bendingly gorgeous travelogue!

I have enjoyed every word and every picture. Thank you for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Outstanding! Great ending with a storm to boot. Wish you had captured the twister, but weather must have played spoil sport.

That comes as a great compliment from the people whose travelogues are the most revered on the forum.

Deciding to drive into the storm was a risky one. I would have not taken it had the so-called "real-time" weather report, as communicated to me by a friend, been accurate. But when I got the true taste of what it was like, driving forward looked as good or bad an option as driving back or staying put. As much as we were excited to see the sister funnels, there was fear. None of the three of us let out a word till we were out of it. The car was constantly being pushed and pulled by the strong gusts of wind. The trucks were finding it difficult to keep to the marked lanes. I could have snapped the situation, but

1> the camera wouldn't have been able to catch anything.
2> here the risk involved was of a much higher degree.
3> Most important - It did not even come to my mind!

Generally I love long drives in the rain, but on this occasion we wanted it to get over soon. Ironically during the first half of the days journey, the bright sunlight was hurting my head, was cursing my luck for clouds and rain not making its presence felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
In Feb this year I did a Phoenix-Las Vegas-Grand Canyon-Phoenix over one of the weekends, will do a write-up soon with pics

Had originaly taken a Mustang to do it but swapped it with Chevy Impala later on.

In an previous attempt I used a Pontiac G-6 but had to return from Flagstaff due to heavy Snowfalls

Waiting eagerly for the story.

Thinking of it, one of the alternatives, had the answer to the question regarding leaves been 1, was a plan on flying to Phoenix or Albuquerque and do the same loop in the reverse direction. Doing it completely by road was the first preference, this being a roadtrip. Fortunately,thats how it turned out.

Last edited by 1100D : 20th August 2008 at 05:12.
Old 20th August 2008, 07:17   #78
Senior - BHPian

@1100D, a real good travelogue. It felt like reading a novel. Keep it up. And the pictures do a great justice to the "novel"
Old 20th August 2008, 11:36   #79
Senior - BHPian

Awesome travelogue !!!
Old 21st August 2008, 00:55   #80
BHPian

Great Stuff there 1100D. I think you ought to be paid for this travelogue by U.S. Tourism Dept. . The Photographs were stunning, great composition. Did you use a SLR or a regular point and shoot camera?

Looking forward to your next Road trip.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:46   #81
RJK
Senior - BHPian

1100D,

Stellar travelogue ! I vaguely remembered reading about some trip to some place with red sands (Monument Valley) in AZ and was hunting for this travelogue. For the life of me, I couldn't recall what the place was called..haha, so after a very exhaustive search of two days, ok more life 20mins :P, I found your travelogue. The reason for writing this drivel is I'll be driving soon from east to west coast and am definitely, positively stopping over in AZ, bcos of this travelogue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks