Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 15:50   #1
BHPian

A quick getaway to Kasauli in a Getz Crdi

Hey friends,

This weekend, I did a quick trip to kasauli. We left at 1545 hrs on Saturday and came back at 1100 hrs on Monday. Yeah... it was a very hectic one but my new Getz Crdi and my sweet girlfriend made it possible.

Day 1 : The plan was to leave Delhi by 1500 hrs on Saturday. Couldn't leave earlier due to some work. Finally we left Delhi at 1545 hrs from Green Park, South Delhi. Reached the turnoff to NH1 from NH1 bypass quickly by 1630 hrs. Then the nightmare began. There was a huge jam which took more than an hour to cross. After crossing tanked up at a BP pure for sure outlet and finally was away at 1800 hrs. 5 mins later was challaned for speeding. Registered 90kph. I saw the interceptor and reduced the speed to 90 from 120 but forgot that I was still in Delhi region and limit was 60kph. Paid 400 bucks and was off at 1810 hrs. So finally crossed Delhi already running very late.

From here, the ride was good, although there are still a few diversions here and there. Took a coffee break at Mayur Dhaba in Karnal at 1930 hrs. Thanks to the Panipat flyover, there were no further delays. Started from here at 2000 hrs. At this point, we decided to make night halt at Parwanoo and reach Kasauli next day. We anticipated reaching Parwanoo at 2300 hrs.
As the second leg started, she was quickly off for a nap. Completely dark roads, thin traffic, Getz Crdi, Philips Rally, Michelin PPs, Sleeping GF, you guessed it right, the next hour of drive was the best one. Easily cruised at 130 on Karnal Ambala stretch and when she woke up we were already nearing Derabassi.

As suggested by wandernomad, from here on took a diversion to Ramgarh and from there joined the Kalka highway almost by passing Panchkula as well. It was 930 by th time we hit Kalka highway. Crossed Pinjore and Kalka without hassles as all the shop were already shut and reached Parwanoo at 2230 hrs. Checked in at hotel Windsmoor. It was time for "Vat 69".

Day 2 : We woke up leisurely at 1000 and left by 1100. Drive to Kasauli was a small one. Followed Shimla highway before turning off at Dharampur. Stayed at hemkunth resorts at garkhal, 3 kms short of kasauli.

After checking in and freshening up left for kasauli at 1400 hrs. We had lunch at some restaurant near the market, walked the mall and the lovers' lane and visited the church. What followed was a romantic drive ( in 2nd gear and foot off the accelerator ) around the lanes of Kasauli in heavy rain. The greenery and cleanliness of the place was awesome. The clouds and the rains made it really mesmerizing. By the time rain stopped it was 1630 and the entry to Monkey point was closed. So we spent another hour roaming here and there and headed back to hotel by 1730. Today was the night for Teachers'.

The food at Hemkunth was amazing. We watched a movie along with it and slept by 2300 hrs as next day we had to leave early since I didn't want to miss the office.

Day 3 : The drive back. We checked out at 515. In about 15 mins she was again asleep. She sleeps a lot on road journey. For me, I was really excited. Daylight, no traaffic, Getz Crdi, Sleeping GF, time bound to reach back. The target in my mind was to reach back by 1100 hrs. Took the same route via ramgarh. After Derabassi it the fun really began. Did 150 once in a while and followed a BMW 7 till Ambala. From there till Karnal, easily cruised at 140. She was dozing all the way till there. Sleeping and waking...

After waking up and talking for 5 mins, she suddenly screamed "You are driving at 140, I thought it was 100". Such amazing are the NVH levels of Getz. This is when I'm yet to install ICE. Also the PPs give amazing levels of confidence.

Reached Mayur Dhaba at 745 and had breakfast there. Aloo parantha with white butter and lassi, do i need say more. Left at 815 and target of 1100 seemed doable. Although, traffic increased substantially but we managed to enter Delhi border by 930. After that the traffic was quite heavy and we reached Green Park at 1045. Had a cup of coffee, dropped her and headed for office ( Gurgaon ). Want happened ahead is for some t-bhp meet.

Now the stats.
Distance from Green Park to Kasauli - 300 kms (via the ramgarh route)
Mileage - 14 km/l. Drove atleast a 100 kms in Delhi after coming back before filling.
Driving style - Medium to hard on the accelerator, as light as possible on the brakes, and no hard corners. I try to be as smooth as possible.
Condition of the road - Great except the towns and villages. The quality of NH22 is ok but it has come down considerably. Very congested as you take NH1 from Delhi.
Damages - Missed a pothole and drove over it at 100 kph. There's a minor bent in the rim. The tire seem to be fine. Have to get it checked asap.

Will be posting the pictures soon although, didn't take too many pictures.

Naman

Last edited by naman : 12th August 2008 at 15:55.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice & spontaneous trip and a crisp travelogue, I like thatcheers:

Now for some photos & it'll get even better!
Old 12th August 2008, 16:17   #3
BHPian

Now that is one quick get away with your g...errr car!
Old 12th August 2008, 16:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Short & crisp. I think if you have included the pictures in the same one, it would have been more interesting. Waiting for the pics.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:50   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a nice short trip description. 14L/Litre sounds low for the CRDi. Look forward to the pictures.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice Write up. i am also going to shimla soon with my friends.

But we wont be taking the vat69
It will be either Jack Daniels or Teachers and a full 50 cans of beer.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Very neat description, pls do more value addition with snaps, Kasauli is a very picturesque place and reading about it without seeing photographs is like watching travel & living blindfolded.

Regards,
Hari.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
But we wont be taking the vat69
It will be either Jack Daniels or Teachers and a full 50 cans of beer.
Nice 1.

Will upload the pics tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thats a nice short trip description. 14L/Litre sounds low for the CRDi. Look forward to the pictures.
Even I thought that FE was low but didn't bother due to high speed driving combined with city and hills. Now that you have pointed it out, what sort of figures should I be getting. Let me check with some other petrol pump as well and a couple of tank fills.

Naman

Naman

Last edited by naman : 12th August 2008 at 17:09.
Old 12th August 2008, 18:26   #9
BHPian

Great trip you seemed to have Naman

Could you please post some details as to which roads/diversions did you take after Derabassi. I too am planning to head to Kasauli/Shimla coming weekend, hence contemplating whether to take my Safari Dicor or the Getz CRDi depending on the road condition and the possibility of encountering rains.
Old 12th August 2008, 19:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov View Post
Great trip you seemed to have Naman

Could you please post some details as to which roads/diversions did you take after Derabassi. I too am planning to head to Kasauli/Shimla coming weekend, hence contemplating whether to take my Safari Dicor or the Getz CRDi depending on the road condition and the possibility of encountering rains.
On Ambala -- > Chandigarh road just after crossing Derabassi there is a flyover where one needs to pay the toll. Toll Gate are visible before the flyover starts. At that point take the service road going down beside the flyover. This road (after about 400 mts) will automatically make a U turn under the flyover and bring you to the other side. On this side after traveling for about 300 mts turn left (This is a big road and cannot be misses). This road leads to Ramgarh (7 kms ). From here take another left to reach Shimla - Kalka highway at Panchkula (Again around 7 kms). At Ramgarh, there are proper sign boards towards Panchkula. Once in Panchkula, take a right to go towards the mountains. Roads are pretty decent and safe.

Overall, the roads are good and should not require 4 wd / SUV unless many people are traveling. You will enjoy the trip in Getz, especially the hills .
You will enjoy overtaking on the hills with Getz Crdi in dense traffic on NH22.

OT : Which Safari do you have. Is it 3.0 or the oldest one.

Naman
Old 12th August 2008, 19:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
On Ambala -- > Chandigarh road just after crossing Derabassi there is a flyover where one needs to pay the toll. Toll Gate are visible before the flyover starts. At that point take the service road going down beside the flyover. This road (after about 400 mts) will automatically make a U turn under the flyover and bring you to the other side. On this side after traveling for about 300 mts turn left (This is a big road and cannot be misses). This road leads to Ramgarh (7 kms ). From here take another left to reach Shimla - Kalka highway at Panchkula (Again around 7 kms). At Ramgarh, there are proper sign boards towards Panchkula. Once in Panchkula, take a right to go towards the mountains. Roads are pretty decent and safe.

Overall, the roads are good and should not require 4 wd / SUV unless many people are traveling. You will enjoy the trip in Getz, especially the hills .
You will enjoy overtaking on the hills with Getz Crdi in dense traffic on NH22.

OT : Which Safari do you have. Is it 3.0 or the oldest one.

Naman
Thanks for sharing the info, one question - Do I take the original right from Ambala towards Chandigarh for Derabassi or Derabassi comes via the Rajpura route ?

And yes I have a 2006 Dicor 3.0 L
Old 13th August 2008, 10:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov View Post
Thanks for sharing the info, one question - Do I take the original right from Ambala towards Chandigarh for Derabassi or Derabassi comes via the Rajpura route ?

And yes I have a 2006 Dicor 3.0 L
Yup, from Ambala take the original road towards Chandigarh. Rajpura will not be on way.
Old 13th August 2008, 13:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice trip! Do post the pics soon. Was that 'vat 69' you had on the first night? Had I been in a similar situation with my GF around, I'd have preferred something slightly different...I'll leave you guessing !
Old 17th August 2008, 00:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Very well written Naman !! VAT 69 & Teachers, Now that's what I am talking about !!

Kasuali has been one of my favourite destinations. The Ross Manor is a good place to stay. I am going there soon in my new Verna CRDi
Old 17th August 2008, 10:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue Naman. By your post, we can ,make out that you are somewhat heavy footed. FE is low. Do post some pics.

@Vanabhi: I will second your opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks