Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 08:20   #16

Thanks for the comment. When I was driving at slow speeds thru the forest I was just thinking how the animals would have been happy if the road never existed with the habitat to themselves.At least the cars can be disciplined to some extent regarding the speed limit but not the Govt. buses which make noise even at low speeds and while ascending gradients, thanks to their lack of proper maintenance.
Old 26th September 2008, 05:13   #17
BHPian

I for one drive below 50kmph when in forest area. This helps in two ways, one is to cause least disturbance to wildlife (after all we are encroaching) and second, slow speed gives better/shake-free photos!!
Old 21st October 2008, 12:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
I for one drive below 50kmph when in forest area. This helps in two ways, one is to cause least disturbance to wildlife (after all we are encroaching) and second, slow speed gives better/shake-free photos!!
Thw things. 40 is a ok speed. Even at 40, I have been surprised by a spotted male deer which suddenly bumbed into the road ahead just a meter off chased by a wild dog. Unfortunately only one wild dog crossed the road even though i waited for the others in the pack to croiss over. i drove off after 15 mins of waiting

Even in parked cars with engine running you may get shake. It is best to switch off engine and try to coast but thats possible only in a M800 or a gypsy
The reason I love M800 for driving through forests. you can switch off everything and coast along on gentle slopes of the forest roads
best regards
bala
Old 18th December 2008, 23:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hello

Nice travelogue. Im planning to do this trip to Mudumalai from Chennai later this month and i was checking on the accomodation available. From your note looks like Hotel Haridagiri is a good option to stay and quite economical too. I checked with a couple of other resorts and they were quoting me exorbitant rates. I tried to find details of hotel haridagiri from the web but wasnt sucessful. By any chance do you have contact details of this hotel? Any other suggestions are also welcome. thanks in advance.

Regards
Bala
Old 23rd December 2008, 23:07   #20
BHPian

Theppakadu to Thorapalli road is being done now with speed breakers and should be ready by couple of weeks
Highlight was there were a few elephants watching these guys laying road today while I was driving back to Bangalore
Will post pictures soon
Old 24th December 2008, 09:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Hello

Nice travelogue. Im planning to do this trip to Mudumalai from Chennai later this month and i was checking on the accomodation available. From your note looks like Hotel Haridagiri is a good option to stay and quite economical too. I checked with a couple of other resorts and they were quoting me exorbitant rates. I tried to find details of hotel haridagiri from the web but wasnt sucessful. By any chance do you have contact details of this hotel?
Bala
Not sure if I am too late, was trying for their website, looks like its not on. I dont have the contact numbers now, what you could possibly do is check with Balan here who has a property just opposite Haridagiri, not sure if he has accomodation though since its vacation time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Theppakadu to Thorapalli road is being done now with speed breakers and should be ready by couple of weeks
Highlight was there were a few elephants watching these guys laying road today while I was driving back to Bangalore
Will post pictures soon
That must have been awesome sight. Also would it mean that the forest department had given permission for the road to be repaired beyond Thorappally upto the State border at Kakkanalla. Its sheer irony that the roads where speeds have to be low at in the best shape when compared to the ones between Gundlupet and Bandipur park entrance which is in shambles
Old 7th January 2009, 22:16   #22
BHPian

Sorry guys
Just back from a tiring trip covering mudumalai / doddamakkali / bangalore / salem / virudhunagar / kodaikanal / bangalore
I dont have haridagiri number with me
Will try to locate their number when I go there next
Best regards
Bala
Old 8th January 2009, 18:29   #23
BHPian

The video just seems to have a poem in it?
Old 9th January 2009, 00:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hey the video is about the Poem by Blake not the video you mentioned.

Fully agree with you. I've seen idiots who did not even wait for elephants crossing the road. The nut case just kept honking as if they were cattle. And to think that we had driven twice across Bandipur and mudumalai sections searching for wildlife and on finally finding elephants, a nut case tries to ruin it all.
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

@ Redrage & senthil - Dont know how the video's got changed, am very sure that when I had originally put up the reply, I had included this video. Look at the Zen in the front who brakes while the tiger crosses the highway. Pity some don't realise the need to give the animals the breathing space they desperately require in today's world.

Old 2nd February 2009, 11:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
@ Redrage & senthil - Dont know how the video's got changed, am very sure that when I had originally put up the reply, I had included this video. Look at the Zen in the front who brakes while the tiger crosses the highway. Pity some don't realise the need to give the animals the breathing space they desperately require in today's world.
You are right. Looks like if the zen was little faster, it would have been a disaster.
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:35   #27
BHPian

that was a fentastic siting and very lucky to see one. i have travelled up and down the hills count less times i havent seen one so far.

Most Viewed