Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 12:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
vak, I doubt if you will be allowed to drive the Chalakudy-Valparai road at night (unless you are a local). I have been stopped at the Peringalkuthu Dam check post (after Athirapalli), and I think till the Malakkiparai check post (TN border, near Valparai), night driving between 9 pm and 5 am is restricted. In any case, the road is so narrow and the jungles teeming with elephants that I do not think it will be safe. I have heard some gruesome stories about vehicles being gored by tuskers on this route at night.
Thats very true. They don't allow any vehicle after sunset (i think after 6 pm to be precise) once you cross Vazhachal. Its a dangerous route at night and there are lots of stories.

-Ravi
Old 7th October 2010, 12:31   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Great photos, foxy.sebastian.
vak, I doubt if you will be allowed to drive the Chalakudy-Valparai road at night (unless you are a local). I have been stopped at the Peringalkuthu Dam check post (after Athirapalli), and I think till the Malakkiparai check post (TN border, near Valparai), night driving between 9 pm and 5 am is restricted. In any case, the road is so narrow and the jungles teeming with elephants that I do not think it will be safe. I have heard some gruesome stories about vehicles being gored by tuskers on this route at night.
Defnitely yes , after 6 pm its not allowed (officially) but some times they may allow too , that to at your own risk , we need to give it written along an id proof at the check post
Old 7th October 2010, 13:21   #48
BHPian

My Sholayar Trip

We were once stuck at Sholayar Dam and was let to sleep in the Guard room for the night. Experience of a life time.

We were 4 guys on two bikes and were running low on petrol as it was a unplanned trip (actual plan was to visit Athirapilly and Vazhachal). The permission for visiting the dam must be taken from KSEB office in Thrissur and we obviously didn't have one. Luckily a group of KSEB staff was passing by the gate after we begged them, they told the guard to let us in, but only one bike was allowed. It was around 4:30 PM and the guard asked us to be back soon as Elephants will start roaming on the road to Chalakudy once the last KSRTC bus passes. So one bike did trips up and down to get to the dam. By the time we came back from the dam site, KSRTC bus was gone. We were stuck! The guard happily welcomed us to stay with him inside the guard house for the night.

We left for Malakkaparai,considered the safer side, as we needed food for the night and petrol for the bikes. Called up individual homes to inform that we will not be back for the day. We got food and petrol (black market) from a small tea shop and the shop guy told us that someone had spotted 13 elephants on the main road in the evening. We rode back slowly through the pitch black back to Sholayar dam and with full attention on the road and the forest around. The plan was to turn back if we spot and elephants. Thanks to the two KB100's and their wonderful headlights (both modified to round ones), we safely reached the guard room. Slept on newspaper sheets inside the guard room. We saw in the morning that even trucks were stopped beside the guard room as the route ahead was considered dangerous even by the truckers. The ride back was amazing as we could see lot of animals on the road.

Thanks Foby, for letting me hijack your thread and reminding me of those good old days!

Last edited by jaguar.runs : 7th October 2010 at 13:26. Reason: update
Old 7th October 2010, 13:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

A experience similar to jaguar.runs.
This was in 1989, in my TVS Suzuki AX100, I was driving to Valparai. Around 330-4 pm, I had a puncture just before Athirapalli, and my pillon had to take a bus back to Chalakudy to fix it. By the time he returned, it was 830 pm, and we started off. At Peringalkuthu Dam, they refused us permission - and we heard lots of stories of what happened to those who went into the road ahead at night - and we were forced to sleep in the verandah of a tea shop at the check post for the night. Through the night, 2-3 vehicles were allowed past, apparently tea estate vehicles travelling back to Valaprai from Cochin - and regulars. We got up and left at 530 am.
Old 7th October 2010, 13:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
We were once stuck at Sholayar Dam and was let to sleep in the Guard room for the night. Experience of a life time.

We were 4 guys on two bikes and were running low on petrol as it was a unplanned trip (actual plan was to visit Athirapilly and Vazhachal). The permission for visiting the dam must be taken from KSEB office in Thrissur and we obviously didn't have one. Luckily a group of KSEB staff was passing by the gate after we begged them, they told the guard to let us in, but only one bike was allowed. It was around 4:30 PM and the guard asked us to be back soon as Elephants will start roaming on the road to Chalakudy once the last KSRTC bus passes. So one bike did trips up and down to get to the dam. By the time we came back from the dam site, KSRTC bus was gone. We were stuck! The guard happily welcomed us to stay with him inside the guard house for the night.

We left for Malakkaparai,considered the safer side, as we needed food for the night and petrol for the bikes. Called up individual homes to inform that we will not be back for the day. We got food and petrol (black market) from a small tea shop and the shop guy told us that someone had spotted 13 elephants on the main road in the evening. We rode back slowly through the pitch black back to Sholayar dam and with full attention on the road and the forest around. The plan was to turn back if we spot and elephants. Thanks to the two KB100's and their wonderful headlights (both modified to round ones), we safely reached the guard room. Slept on newspaper sheets inside the guard room. We saw in the morning that even trucks were stopped beside the guard room as the route ahead was considered dangerous even by the truckers. The ride back was amazing as we could see lot of animals on the road.

Thanks Foby, for letting me hijack your thread and reminding me of those good old days!
It was my pleasure to read your experience here , if you have got any snaps please put it here.
Old 7th October 2010, 13:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

My experience in that route goes like this....

It was year 2001. We were 4 people traveling in Santro. After visiting Guruvayur temple by noon, we decided to see Athirapally/Vazhachal falls and reached there around 4 pm or so in the year 2001. Enjoyed the falls and surroundings ( at that time, it was not much developed like what it is now. Only few shops, thats it). Since valpaari is about 60+ kms We thought we can cover it in less than 2 hrs and reach there by night for stay. But we were totally wrong.

People at athirapally warned us that we should not travel after 6 pm in Athirapally-Valpaari road due to heavy wild life movement. We took their advice and stayed back in one of the small resort in athirapally itself.
Next day morning, we took a nice bath in the river and started to Vaalpaarai.

It tooks us close to 6 hours drive to drive in ghat roads which are bad in condition to reach vaalpaarai. Except the guard in sholayar dam, there is absolutely no human habitation at all. We saw lots of elephant dungs on the route and it broke few branches of trees all thru the way. Then we realized, if we had gone previous night, it would have been our last night in life

About the route - Awesome jungle roads, fantastic greenery, eye catching tea plantations, nice hair pin bends, what not - you can keep on describing the drive. Life time experience !!

Until we reach vaalpaari, there was nothing to eat or drink. We had a nice tea in vaalpaari and then reached Coimbatore via Azhiyar dam and Pollachi.

I must say, who ever tries this route, should go well prepared with food and good toolkit in case of flat tyre.

-Ravi
Old 7th October 2010, 14:20   #52
BHPian

Happened in 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
It was my pleasure to read your experience here , if you have got any snaps please put it here.
@Foby, unfortunately no pictures from that day. This happened 10 years back, in 2000, so not even mobile cam pictures.
Old 7th October 2010, 17:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing those lovely cat pics foby. One day I might have to take your help in going through the interiors of Parambikulam / Sholayar. Hopefully clubbing it with my next Valparai trip.
Old 30th November 2010, 22:01   #54
Senior - BHPian

lot more nelliyampathy snaps added here please have a look at it http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ls-kerala.html
Old 8th December 2010, 12:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

The wild cat

Sharing the joy of a wild cat to freedom.
Attached Thumbnails
Nilliyampathy- forest ride boon for trekkers-puli.jpg  

Old 8th December 2010, 12:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nilliyampathy- forest ride boon for trekkers

Vow thats a good snap. which one is this? the one captured at Valparai or from coastal malappuram dist?
Old 8th December 2010, 18:45   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Vow thats a good snap. which one is this? the one captured at Valparai or from coastal malappuram dist?

That I am not sure !
Old 8th December 2010, 23:00   #58
BANNED

oh Man!! I cant stop clapping at the pics and chance for adventure!!

Adding to my itinerary next year.

Cheers
Old 9th December 2010, 05:10   #59
BHPian

The last pic is just awsome.. spotting cheetas is no big deal but to get a view like this is something priceless

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks