Team-BHP - Nilliyampathy- forest ride boon for trekkers
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Nilliyampathy- forest ride boon for trekkers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/44249-nilliyampathy-forest-ride-boon-trekkers.html)

nelliyampathy....lets say guts to be real

the route map

1 normal route - take a right from vadakkanchery in nh 47 this place is situated btw thrissur palakkad stretch ,then drive through country roads,dangerous hair pin bends with chances of land slide

2 dare to go route (sholayar-parambikkulam-nelliyampathy)-
very adventrous go to atirapilly from there take the valppara route, when you reach sholayar powerhouse/dam gate just stop the vehicle ,in front of the gate there is a shop keeper called Mr.ivan (one of the authorised person out of 3) contact him fix the rate(normally he used to take 3500 per group)

park your car near to his shop

there will be one forest officer assisting you in your drive mr ivan will drive his jeep along with us the entire strech around 60 km full dense forest with no road

usually people used to come back to sholayar with out opting to nelliyampathy

tips
1 never get out of the jeep and try walking

2 carry cash with u but no valuables

3 never ever tease wild animals including deers hare jumbos if its your time on earth you can have a face to face meeting with tiger

one of the snaps from parambikkulam wild life santuary

source -respective owner in orkut

foby...my head is still hurting after reading that ! :D did YOU do this trip or are these just pointers with someone else's pics ?!

I was thinking he is going to post his experiance after this intro. Will he? :)

Foby, one suggestion. Pls elaborate on your travelogue. What vehicle you went, how many kms, what is the FE. And do attach more pics. This looks interesting.

Parambikulam is one of India's wildest and most inaccessible elephant ranges. Foby, does the shopkeeper arrange the fores department permissions, or is that all waived? Always heard of a kuchcha road from Nelliyampathy to Parambikulam but did not know it also connected to Sholayar.

Waiting to hear a full account.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 945001)
Parambikulam is one of India's wildest and most inaccessible elephant ranges. Foby, does the shopkeeper arrange the fores department permissions, or is that all waived? Always heard of a kuchcha road from Nelliyampathy to Parambikulam but did not know it also connected to Sholayar.

Waiting to hear a full account.

MR. IVAN will help you out in getting permission from forest also he helps in waiving the issues.

any way one of the forest constable will be assisting the trekkers in ivans jeep...

only 3 private vehicles are having permission through that road

one is of ivans jeep

one from thrissur who has estate there

and one from parambikulam itself

all r 4X4 jeeps

ok dumb koshun: Are you advertising?

No hard feelings but less slang and regular TeamBHP standards of posting won't hurt.

Looks interesting, I would like to repeat what someone already asked for...

"Foby, one suggestion. Pls elaborate on your travelogue. What vehicle you went, how many kms, what is the FE. And do attach more pics. This looks interesting."

Also, can we go by bikes (till Parambikulam)!! I was thinking if I can do this with my RoyalEnfield group!!

Actually, this looks ideal for a bunch of mad bikers to ride out to :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketan (Post 949902)
Looks interesting, I would like to repeat what someone already asked for...

"Foby, one suggestion. Pls elaborate on your travelogue. What vehicle you went, how many kms, what is the FE. And do attach more pics. This looks interesting."

Also, can we go by bikes (till Parambikulam)!! I was thinking if I can do this with my RoyalEnfield group!!

ya thanks for your suggestion

what you said was exactly correct you can go by bike till nelliyampathy ,

TRAVELOUGE

there are 2 ways to reach nelliyampathy both i have tried out

1 through sholayr dam entrance, around 60 kms to nelliyampathy

we have to travel through deep forest,full of adrenaline needed,we cant take our personal vehicle, there will be a forest gaurd to assist, the only option left is we can only go in MR. ivans vehicle since he is the only person who carries the people for this kind of trips, riding through the forest before 6 am and after 6 pm is extremely dangerous.No range for mobile, literally saying totally lost in forest, for each trip mr ivan charge you around 4000 bucks for a group(say around 4 members)

BTW you will reach pothundy dam, from there you have to travel further to reach nelliyampathy, usually people who travel with mr ivan used to return after visitting Pottundy

note:- NEVER EVER CARRY LIQUOR WITH YOU , IT WILL END UP IN GREAT MESS

2 from nelliyampathy you hire a jeep (800 bucks), the jeep people will take you to pothundy through deep forest but no forest guard will assist you. in pottundy there is a estate in which a small house is located,you can stay there tonight for real hard core experience,if you are informing in advance food will be provided by estate people, i think you can also take bike if you dare to go , BTw we went in a 4x4 jeep with fog lamps.no range for mobiles too.if u dare you can also carry liqour with you but be catious.

the snaps of pothundy - nelliyampathy ride will be updated soon

can we take our own 4X4 instead of hiring the jeep ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jango (Post 954723)
can we take our own 4X4 instead of hiring the jeep ?

ya ofcourse...do you have to be an expert driver, the road is quite slippery, and you have to cross river filled with with water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foby.sebastian (Post 954712)

TRAVELOUGE

there are 2 ways to reach nelliyampathy both i have tried out

1 through sholayr dam entrance, around 60 kms to nelliyampathy

....BTW you will reach pothundy dam, from there you have to travel further to reach nelliyampathy....

2 from nelliyampathy you hire a jeep (800 bucks), the jeep people will take you to pothundy through deep forest but no forest guard will assist you.
the snaps of pothundy - nelliyampathy ride will be updated soon

I am a bit confused here:Frustrati I have been to nelliyampathi couple of times (the less adventurous route,on bikes mostly) AFAIK, from Pothundi to Nelliyampathi, it is ghat road full of hairpins but still i wouldn't call that route a deep forest.No way.It has some treacherous twisties and risky corners but we have done it even thru the thick of the night,that too on an old rotting splendour ..

It might be because I'm not able to properly understand you,but still your posts are indeed a bit confusing,even for people who know the route.For the benefit of others pls consider rephrasing/simplifying your posts.please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aravindwarrier (Post 957230)
I am a bit confused here:Frustrati I have been to nelliyampathi couple of times (the less adventurous route,on bikes mostly) AFAIK, from Pothundi to Nelliyampathi, it is ghat road full of hairpins but still i wouldn't call that route a deep forest.No way.It has some treacherous twisties and risky corners but we have done it even thru the thick of the night,that too on an old rotting splendour ..

It might be because I'm not able to properly understand you,but still your posts are indeed a bit confusing,even for people who know the route.For the benefit of others pls consider rephrasing/simplifying your posts.please:

i was talking about a private estate