Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2008, 11:15   #16
Sar
BHPian

Day 6 - To Padstow

We decide to go to Padstow. I am eager to go to any of Rick Stein's restaurants, so there we were, it was about a 20 minute drive from St. Merryn. Padstow can best be described as a posh seaside town.

It is small, but so pretty. We walk around the harbour, go into the little shops. They are so quaint, some stocked with home made jams, jellies, fudge. Some with the typical touristy bits, boats & ships made from shells & driftwood. There are also the usual brand shops - FatFace, Quicksilver, Storm, as well as some boutiques. There is this shop that is called Tidings, that only sells Christmas decorations, it is gorgeous. We buy a couple of decorations to remind us of the holiday.
[ATTACH]42953[/ATTACH
][ATTACH]42954[/ATTACH
Name:  P1010011.JPG
Views: 521
Size:  144.1 KB
Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010015.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010018.jpg
ATTACH]42958[/ATTACH]
We walk on, up a hill, at the top there is a Celtic Cross. The view is spectacular, and we stop to take a breath, sit down and drink it all in. The Cross is a memorial to those lost in The Wars. The harbour down below is gorgeous, the sea shimmers, with colours of jade & aquamarine. After a quick snack, we walk on down, and the boys roll down the hill on the grass.

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010025.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010023.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010035.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010040.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010045.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010046.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010043.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010053.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010060.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010049.jpg

Later, we try and get a table at Rck Stein's restaurant, but the queue is way too long and we are so hungry. We walk down to the fish restaurant, but that is also so busy. So I go to the takeaway at the chippie next door and wait in line for about 20 minutes to get fish & chips for the boys & myself and some barbecued prawns. There isn't anywhere to sit and we just sit on the side of the road and enjoy the meal. It is the most amazing fish & chips I have ever eaten, the batter is so light and the fish is moist. It's delicious. We feed the scraps to the seagulls who have been hovering and staring at us. I go into the deli & buy a shopping bag as it's the only thing I can afford (it was £15!!) and my memento of a great chef.

We walk on down to the other side of the harbour and watch people hire bicycles to go on the camel trail - a famous biking trail that goes on for miles. We're not fit enough to even contemplate riding a bike! So we watch people riding off. I see this old couple, just sitting and enjoying the day, have to take a picture.

(I have to post the rest of the photos for this bit later; my boys are fighting over the ps2 controls )
Attached Thumbnails
Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010005.jpg  

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010006.jpg  

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010007.jpg  

Old 28th August 2008, 14:16   #17
BHPian

hey Sar. really nice travelogue and neat pictures. its a good way to spend the holidays with the family.
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:48   #18
Sar
BHPian

More photos

Sorry for the delay but I am having probs uploading pix. I upload them and then nothing shows. So here's me trying for the 3rd day.
Pictures in Padstow. Random ones, of the boys eating fish & chips at the harbour, the Camel Estuary, old couple and some of us at the beach in Harlyn Bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00671.jpg  

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00672.jpg  

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00673.jpg  

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00675.jpg  

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00679.jpg  

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00691.jpg  

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00695.jpg  

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00696.jpg  

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010071.jpg  

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010072.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2008, 16:36   #19
Sar
BHPian

Caravan & Harlyn Bay. We had such a lovely afternoon at the beach. Even though it was 5pm, it was still warm-ish and Joshua had fun doing cartwheels on the sand. We discovered a couple of caves, but they were not high enough to walk into. We sat on rocks and watched the waves while Joshua played in the sand.

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010074.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010078.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010098.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010101.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010103.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010105.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010110.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010113.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010114.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010115.jpg
After a while, we walked back home it was a lovely end to a super day.

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010117.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010118.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010119.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010121.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010123.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010128.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010136.jpg
Old 2nd September 2008, 16:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

great pics. Seem to be busy as there is not much of an explanation. The location seems brilliant though
Old 2nd September 2008, 17:29   #21
Sar
BHPian

Maddy, these are the photos pertaining to my post of day 6, our visit to Padstow. I wasn't able to upload everything. The ones of the kids eating fish & chips, we got the food from Rick Stein's chippie. I'm a big foodie and I love his shows on BBC food, so had to go there.

The pic of the old couple, it was just waiting to be taken. Reminded me how simple life can be.

The rest are of the camel estuary, in Padstow. After we left Padstow that day we went back to the caravan, Jamie slept on the grass and when he woke we went to the beach in Harlyn Bay.

Yes, I am a bit busy, even though I'm a stay at home mum. I'm not grumbling, but in between cleaning the whole house, doing laundry, cooking and collecting my son from school, playing with the younger guy, then doing homework. I try and squeeze in some time for writing when poss! Really hard, I would prefer going to work hey Also, I've been having probs uploading pix the past few days.
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:30   #22
Sar
BHPian

Day 8, Day trip to Newquay

The next day we woke up bright and early, showered, had our breakfast and then packed our gear to drive down to Newquay. It was an hour's drive south, and we drove at the top of some gorgeous cliffs. Again, fantastic views of the Atlantic Ocean. It may sound silly to some, but it had been years since I saw the Ocean, so it was exciting to me .
We pass some quirky signs outside shops, and some old fashioned looking hotels & cafes.

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010139.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010141.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010143.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010154.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010156.jpg

We decided to visit the zoo first, and while Craig parked the car I bought the tickets and then we all trooped in. It's a small zoo, you would not believe it was hidden away in the town, but it's like a little haven of greenery. We get really carried away when we see a bit of grass,so this was just super. First were the monkeys, and there is this big black swan just wandering around it's very cheeky, as it comes up close and starts pecking at my boot!! I take Josh to see the owls, he goes on a little obstacle course, which he loved. Then we go down to the dragon maze, it's silly because the hedges are short so you can't really get lost, but the two of us have a lot of fun. We catch up with Craig and Jamie, and have a nice picnic lunch. We'd taken our sandwiches & drinks and feed the crusts to the swan and the peacock strutting his stuff. We see the penguins, the petting zoo where they have domestic animals - goats, turkey, a really FAT Vietnamese pig, chickens. Come out and see a gorgeous snake, but we are not allowed to touch it, only the handler can.

Name:  P1010162.JPG
Views: 406
Size:  142.7 KB

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010163.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010170.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010175.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010177.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010189.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010193.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010199.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010211.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-image035.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-image0361.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010155.jpg  

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010166.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2008, 19:09   #23
Sar
BHPian

Newquay contd...

On the way out we stop in the gift shop and buy some stuff, as a memento. Next door to the zoo is a park, so Josh goes on a car & I take Jamie for a train ride.

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010231.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010233.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010243.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010245.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010246.jpg

We then drive around till we find a parking spot for 2 hours, and walk down to the shopping centre. Newquay is considered to be the surfing capital of the U.K., but to see the waves now, you wouldn't believe it. The surfing bay, Watergate bay is further down and we will drive by on our way home. It is so busy and it's getting very hot, so we head into Woolies for a couple of cool drinks and buy birthday gifts for our nephew.

We decide to head back as it's nearing tea time and the boys are tired. It's also cooling down, surprising since we had a beautiful week.

We planned to go to the beach the next day, but I woke up at 4am, hearing this noise...it was RAIN!! No way. It poured and it poured. We obviously scrapped plans to go to the beach and headed off to Trago Mills in Bodmin, a shopping centre where you can get everything from books, DIY stuff, household items, clothes, craft stuff, to camping gear & outdoorsy stuff at a discount. We spent a few hours there, I bought some craft stuff and then we headed on back to Plymouth.
Old 3rd September 2008, 02:57   #24
BHPian

oooh. really nice detailed travelogue and pictures you have here Sar. the kids look like they sure are having a nice time!
Old 3rd September 2008, 10:37   #25
Sar
BHPian

26th July....Birthday party & Tattoo!

I wake up really early, am nervous & excited. I have to go to Plympton, to Spike at the Art, and wait for an appointment to get my tattoo. It will be my first ever tatto and not sure how I will handle it, will it hurt? Even though I have researched it in full, had SO much help & advice from Sam, who incidently with another friend helped me get the translation, and my sister who has been nudging me to get over my fear.

Craig, Jamie and I drive to Plympton and while they wander off to the supermarket, I wait in the line with 10 other people. Saturdays are walk-ins, I get chatting with 2 other ladies, and we talk about what we're getting done etc. An hour later, the shop opens and we all go in one by one, very orderly and register our names & phone numbers. The girl Lou will ring us later in the day.
Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00761.jpg
We wander about Plympton, have a snack, buy some books from the charity shops, and then drive back to Plymouth. We pick up Josh, take him to town for a hair cut & then it's back home and to Craig's sister's house. It's her 2nd son's first birthday party. They live in a block of flats down the road, and there is a big back garden. She's set up a bunch of toys for the children and her partner is busy starting up the bbq. It's a lovely afternoon, the children have a blast playing in the sun, while we catch up with the family.

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00762.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00765.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00775.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00780.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00787.jpg

I get a phone call at half 3, to ask if I can be at the studio in half hour. By this time all the butterflies & anticipation has left me, possibly as I have been waiting all day. Lou introduces me to the artist, Mike, who is such a soft spoken gentle soul. He shows me the needles, inks and explains what he is going to do. We have a signal if it hurts and he positions the drawing on my back, takes a picture to see if I like where it is, and then he starts. Initially, I had a few tears, but within minutes I relax, and actually enjoy it. Don't know if I am wierd?? but it's a fab feeling. I really like it!!! Before I know it, he's done! No bleeding, and I want another one, but there's no time as he has another client next. Craig takes a quick picture and then Mike packs on some balm & cling film & we go back to collect Joshua.

It's like an anti-climax, I honestly have never felt so high, so energised. Like a huge burst of adrenalin. I finally have my tattoo!!!! Yay!

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00791.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00792.jpg
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:21   #26
Sar
BHPian

27-31 July

We head back to St. Merryn the next morning. Stop off at Wadebridge on the way to do a grocery shop and then back to the caravan.
We have a picnic lunch outside and just chill out. Later we go down to the park, and decide to go to the beach the next day.

Wake up to rain, it rains hard all Monday. I only go out to the laundry room to wash some clothes. The dryers are not working well enough. So we have to hang the clothes in the bedrooms to air out.
On tuesday we have visitors, our financial advisor lives close by in Porth, so he brings his family to visit. The children have a fun time together and it's nice to have a break from all the rain.
Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00821.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00823.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00824.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00826.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00828.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010250.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010251.jpg
Wednesday we make sure everything is packed away, I wash the last few bits of clothes, the linen and tidy up the caravan. We pack everything into the car, and head on down to Plymouth. It is WET. So disappointing. We stop off to fill up the car with diesel, this is the first time we have had to fill her up since we got her. So pretty good mileage. £85/- later, we go down to mother's house.

We spend the rest of the evening indoors, have a lovely shepherd's pie for tea. Mother & I stay up late catching up and then it's off to bed.
On Thursday, we go into town as we had promised Josh & Jamie they could buy a WallE toy. They each have some money from their grandparents so want to get something. We wander around town, Craig gets soaking wet. Have a nice hot meal at the chippy, complete with chips, buttered bread, fish, yummy. Then we wander off to the market, the boys buy some sweeties from an old fashioned sweet shop (we weren't allowed to take pictures). Finally went to the disney store and they bought their WallE toys.

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00834.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00838.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00858.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00861.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00862.jpg

Attachment 45024

Walking back to the car, Jamie fell asleep, it was so cute, in spite of the rain and everything, he just slept on Craig's shoulder.

We went to Craig's sister's house for our evening meal. Her partner cooked us a fantastic stir fry, and Josh & Teina battled over a game of boxing on the Wii. Great fun. Our last night in Plymouth.

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00887.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00889.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00848.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2008, 11:33   #27
Team-BHP Support

Great pics, it has inspired me to write about our trip. You will find a clash when we get to Legoland!
Old 3rd September 2008, 12:54   #28
Sar
BHPian

Oh cool!! We have loads of pix, but we were only there one day. And it rained!!
Old 3rd September 2008, 13:58   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar View Post
Oh cool!! We have loads of pix, but we were only there one day. And it rained!!
Not that many, but it rained!
Old 4th September 2008, 11:52   #30
Sar
BHPian

1st August: to Bournemouth & London

We left mother's home at about half ten in the morning, and head off into the rain. It really pours, visibility is quite low, and traffic is just a crawl. It pretty much rains all the way to Dorset, which is really annoying, especially going through the narrow country lanes etc. But Craig's a good driver and we do just fine. We reach Dorset and it's sunny, and warm, and this continues all the way to Bournemouth. We are going to visit a friend, we grew up together in Pune & she is married & lives there. We last met 3 years ago, & now she has one baby & due another one soon, so lots to catch up.

After a quick meal and lots of talking (we are ladies ) we head off for London. I remember to take some pictures of carsbut it's a bit difficult because we're moving so slowly & I don't want people to think I'm a wierdo. We see this unusual car, it's European looking but couldn't get a pic of the make or anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010283.jpg

Name:  P1010287.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  110.9 KB

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010290.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010292.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010297.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010302.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-p1010306.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00925.jpg

Summer Holidays - A caravan, dinosaurs & Legoland-dsc00923.jpg
Get stuck in rush hour traffic, and by the time we reach the Novotel it's almost 6pm! Check in, freshen up & then down to the restaurant for dinner. We had booked the hotel along with our tickets to Legoland, so for the 2 nights we are there, the children eat free. We only have to pay for our meals, and Breakfast is only £13.95 each so it's ok.

Most Viewed