Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2008, 23:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij4all View Post

We begin our return journey on monday, the 8th of september at 5 AM from Thane. The route is Thane - Shirdi - Pune - Bangalore -Chennai.

God bless. Ganpati Bappa Moriya.
Vijay, in case you want to have a small variation in your return route, go from Shirdi to Ahnmednagar, Tembhurni, Pandharpur-Sangli-Kolhapur and then continue on NH4. Saves you the trouble of going into Pune city and also trying a different route, although please keep in mind that till you reach Kolhapur you are on 2-lane roads.

I also live very close by, Thane Vasant Vihar, hardly 3 kms from where you are!
Old 4th September 2008, 23:42   #17
Team-BHP Support

Nice write-up, Vijay!
Hows this for a slogan?

Cost of rear view mirror -> Rs.1500/-
Look on parents face when they see you -> Priceless!!

Have a safe return trip. And this time round, ensure you have proper sleep, and no last moment shopping sprees.
Old 5th September 2008, 00:03   #18
BHPian

Awesome writeup. I could sense that you enjoy driving.

Quote:
But after 5 minutes, I was going all downhill and i shifted to neutral and was still doing 100.
I think this is a wrong driving practice. Coasting is not advisable when the car is moving. I suspect braking is poor and also you dont have control.
Old 5th September 2008, 01:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hats off !!! You are indeed a master narrator, a very detailed and pleasure to read travelogue
Old 5th September 2008, 09:43   #20
BHPian

HV Kumar Sir,

Will the alternate route you ahve suggested save time for me? Also do let me know how are the road conditions?

My plan is as follows - leave Thane at 5ish - reach Shirdi at 10ish. Assuming I leave Shirdi at 2 i should be able to reach Pune by 6 or 6 30 ? and then Kolhapur is 3 hours away.

Will the route you have suggested be similar in terms of time taken ?

Thanks
Old 5th September 2008, 10:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

You should reach Kolhapur a little earlier by the Ahmedanagar-Pandharpur route. Saves you the hassle of navigating Pune city in peak hour, besides minimising chances of getting lost. Road conditions are good. If you reach Kolhapur by 8 pm and thereabouts, you could target Belgaum and stay over at Hotel Sankam, so that the next day you can drive direct from Belgaum to Madras.
Old 5th September 2008, 10:39   #22
Team-BHP Support

Hey

great write up.

I have a small suggestion to make. Next time you can use wikimapia.org
So you can see how the road will actually look like around the travel points.

For instance the Hosur bridge. You can note down the nearest landmark before it and can use this to avoid the mentioned pothole.
Old 5th September 2008, 11:25   #23
BHPian

A very crisp and good narration !! Keep it up ! Quite touching to hear about your father's silent appreciation of what you did !!
Old 5th September 2008, 13:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice write-up!!! Keep 'em coming - maybe we could catch-up during our next TBHP meet!
Old 5th September 2008, 15:21   #25
BHPian

HV ji,

would it be possible for you to guide me from Tumkur to Chennai without touching Bangalore ? Any maps etc? AK has mentioned about taking the Dobbespet route. Im not too sure where to get off the GQ and join the Hosur Road again.

Thanks
Old 5th September 2008, 16:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Your travelogue is very interesting inspite of no pics. You made it look so simple. Also please do take a look at what 'druva' has pointed out.

17 hrs travel (4 am to 9 pm) in a daY thats really something

Edit: How many total kms you covered in day-2

Last edited by Surprise : 5th September 2008 at 16:29.
Old 5th September 2008, 17:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij4all View Post
HV ji,

would it be possible for you to guide me from Tumkur to Chennai without touching Bangalore ? Any maps etc? AK has mentioned about taking the Dobbespet route. Im not too sure where to get off the GQ and join the Hosur Road again.

Thanks
Vijay, I am personally not familiar with this route. But I do not think it is a good idea for you since the roads are narrow, have several intersections and taking the Dobbespet route is best if you wish to link up with NH7 (towards H"Bad) and not NH4 (towards Madras) or NH7 (towards Hosur).

I would suggest that since you are likely to reach Bangalore area sometime in the levening (assuming you leave Kolhapur or Belgaum in the morning), the best thing to do would be to go on NH4 itself and from Nelamangala, take the Outer Ring Road (at Dasarahalli) via Jalahalli, Hebbal and Marthahalli to Madivala and Hosur road. In case you want to go on NH4 via Kolar/Chittoor, you can also turn off into NH4 itself.

I think it is a difficult thing for those not familiar with the area to take smaller roads (where road signage is also poor), and better to take the well-charted roads. Instead of getting lost, spend some time in traffic jams between Nelamangala and Dasarahalli.
Old 5th September 2008, 17:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Good to read that you made it safe. Where were the potholes on the Hosur flyover? Right lane or left lane?
Its the right lane, after reading Vijay's initial feedback I was careful while crossing the Hosur flyover. The patchwork is almost 3/4th of a feet deep and is not marked at all. Any one passing the flyover please stick to the left lane
Old 5th September 2008, 17:24   #29
BHPian

Very nice travelogue

I almost thought you were Akroy !

The only way this could've been better is with pics.

Have a safe drive back
Old 5th September 2008, 17:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the great travelogues I have read though w/o pics. Keep it coming, Vijay. I'am glued on to this. Will wait for your next leg...

Most Viewed