Team-BHP - Postcards from Sweden
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Postcards from Sweden (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/45407-postcards-sweden.html)

Where do I begin, to tell the story of ... the lyrics keep ringing in my head, even though they are nothing to do with Sweden. Nothing? Not really. I have seen Sweden in winter, summer and spring. This time I am there at the beginning of autumn, and it just as beautiful as it is in the other seasons.

Let me back up a bit. September 1, 2008. Bad beginning to a journey: left my laptop at the airport security at Bangalore Airport. Didn't remember that procedures have changed - happily proceeded to the gate never realizing I haven't picked up the laptop from the tray!!! Realized it at Frankfurt when I was groping in the empty laptop bag.:eek: Desperate mail to office: "Guys, I am really sorry, but... could you please have it picked up?" (God bless Blackberry). It is back on my office table after 2 days, with all the data and presentations I had taken a week to prepare. Oh well, rough journey ahead.

Looked around for the next 4 days for a decent laptop. The variety available is just too much for a geriatric like me. Finally settled for a Macbook.

Took a couple of photos with my Nikon D40 on the flight from Frankfurt to Stockholm. Intrigued: what in heavens is that faint dark blue line that keeps following the flight on any water body (near the bottom of the pics)? No, it is not anything to do with the lens or the sensor; appears only over water, not over land. Any clue, anyone?

Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0005.jpg
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0006.jpg

Took Arlanda Express to Stockholm and then the X2000 to Linköping (Pronounced lin-show-ping. Well, almost. For the ö is pronounced by making the mouth for O and saying A). Smooth ride for 2 hours, free internet on board - browsed with my N82. Arrived at the hotel to find a placard "We open at 1700" - it is only 1600, now what? I am desperate as anyone after a looong journey. Call up the proprietor, he says "Oy, I told the door code to your secretary, didn't she tell you?" Oh well! Anyhow, not much to complain about - this was the bestest cutest hotel I have stayed in, and everyone treats you like they know you for 20 years.
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0013.jpg

Took a long walk to get the joints working again. Long tough week ahead. Nice little town Linköping, population about a lakh. Idiosycratic works of art like anywhere else in Sverige:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0014.jpg

I'll skip the hard work part and stick to the in between bits. Lots of nice dinners. This one was a work of art with salmon as the main piece, accompanied by Lingon berries, smoked reindeer and fried capers:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0021.jpg

"Farmers' market" in Stockholm downtown - yellow oyster mushrooms are in season, "freshly picked from the forest". Actually they are bought in bulk from Poland, and all the shopkeepers speak Arabic!!!
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0024.jpg

The flower shops are a riot of colors, though:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0034.jpg

What for us is spice of life, is a decoration piece in Sweden as much as flowers - chillies:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0037.jpg

Indiska is a chain of stores in Scandinavia which sells all things made in India (but not really usable by Indians:D):
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0039.jpg

OK, it is past 2200, time to hit the sack - a busy week ahead in Jönköping before I head home. Will continue as and when I get time.

Wonderful pictures Uncleji! Please keep them coming!

Excellent Pics Sir, Keep them coming !!

Abhi

The pics are great, really captured the essence of the place.

Keep them coming!!

I'm sure we wont have the misfortune of not seeing those pretty sights that Sweden is famous for !

nice colors. and i love salmon!!
any chance to meet getaway in stockholm guys?? cars??

Smoked reindeers ? Lovely.
Beautiful , colourful pictures DerAlte. Keep them coming.

Wow Great pics & blog DA ji :)

Waiting for more

Very nice pics, Der Alte-ji. Do take some snaps if you encounter the local LBM variety. Heard there are a lot of Swedes with pounding systems.

Nice pictures and writeup.

OT: Oh, Its feels good and surprising to hear that you got your laptop back in office in 2 days. Just wondering how did they hand over the laptop to your office. Any must documents?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 968661)
Let me back up a bit. September 1, 2008. Bad beginning to a journey: left my laptop at the airport security at Bangalore Airport. Didn't remember that procedures have changed - happily proceeded to the gate never realizing I haven't picked up the laptop from the tray!!! Realized it at Frankfurt when I was groping in the empty laptop bag.:eek:

I had a similar experience as well. After the security check, i happily proceeded to the waiting area, not realizing that i had conveniently left behind my N70 in the tray. I have this habit of checking my pocket for my phone, and thats when reality struck me! One frantic look at my wife, and even before she realized what was happening, i had dashed across the floor to pick my phone from the tray. When i saw it there, safe and sound, the joy on my face knew no bounds! Looks like i am not the only one with such a story to tell.

DerAlte ji, nice set of pics there. Nice to get to see many places, which in real life i would never have the opportunity to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 968744)
I'm sure we wont have the misfortune of not seeing those pretty sights that Sweden is famous for !

Alas, however much I would like to, it is - as the Yetiraj says - impolite to point (the camera, in this case). The sun is still out (well, almost; the weekend was rained out) so you can imagine.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 969320)
... if you encounter the local LBM variety. Heard there are a lot of Swedes with pounding systems.

Plenty. However, they are out usually late Friday night, which is not conducive for taking pics. Surprisingly, the popular brands are none of what we hear of in India. A few DLS, some Infinity, but otherwise it is ABC, XYZ etc. I was surprised by the stock ICE in Volvo cars, though - changes one's perception of "stock ICE".

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 969347)
... how did they hand over the laptop to your office. Any must documents?

Usually a sticker with asset number suffices, along with an official request.

Norrköping ("north trading center") is a quiet sleepy town with a tree lined boulevard called North Promenade (not in the photo) and the river Motala:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0056.jpg

How times have changed. It is fairly common to see fathers taking care of the kids at all hours. This was a late morning sight:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0063.jpg

Art spills over everywhere in Sweden. Here is one of the hundreds of sculptures (is that the right word for it?) that one finds in public places just about anywhere here:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0082.jpg

I must remember to ask the reason behind this one. In almost every church, there is always a beutifully modelled wooden ship near a window in a church. Perhaps this was to ensure safe voyages for the Swedish mariners:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0098.jpg

Stock ICE locations in a Volvo - mid-bass at the bottom left of the door, tweeters just fore of the opening lever and handle (just to the right of the AC grill). Best stock ICE I have ever heard of - plenty of bass without a sub, clear mids and laid-back highs:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0133.jpg

This is how one gives a jolt to drivers straying out of the designated driving area on highways. Ingenious, one must say. The white strips give a soft rumble, the slots beyond can really vibrate the suspension and steering:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0138.jpg

I am in SAAB country now - made abundantly evident by the specimens mounted by the side of highway E4:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0144.jpg

Linköpings domkyrka, or cathedral, dates back 800 years in its current form. Actually, there was a wooden church at the same location built in 11th century, replaced by a stone one in 1120, which was then replaced by the current one in 1230! The roof is copper, corrosion giving it its distinct green hue:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0147.jpg

It is truly magnificient inside. The altarpiece is quite different from any that I have seen in any church or cathedral. Equally amazing are the woven tapestries behind the altarpiece:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0152.jpg
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0153.jpg
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0181.jpg

A narrow lane from the domkyrka leads one to a relatively modern church, St. Lars, which dates back to 1802:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0217.jpg

Ever seen flowers growing on lamp-posts?
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0219.jpg

Don't ask me about this one - just an average statue in the town square, I guess:
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0222.jpg

As for this one, this is supposed to make it clear to everyone that this is the cycle parking area!!!
Postcards from Sweden-dsc_0228.jpg

Tomorrow: Rally of classic American cars in Jönkoping, as seen from my hotel balcony last Saturday evening. I could only spot some badges - Buick, Oldsmobile etc. Maybe you guys will be able to figure out the rest. Cheers!

It's a sign. This trip I had some colleagues convince me that Scandinavia, especially north of the North Pole is a gorgeous place for a holiday.
Beautiful and interesting DerAlte, thanks for this.

Those blue lines - could be water vapour trails? I'm guessing.

Quote:

as the Yetiraj says - impolite to point (the camera, in this case).
Yes, it is difficult to take pictures of people in Europe (or anywhere for that matter)

I generally first hang around for a while, long enough to be forgotten and then shoot using a very wide angle, no flash and never keeping the subject in the centre.
This makes the subject shot very ambiguous and also includes a fair bit of scenery, lol.

Of course it helps that with a sleeveless jacket on and my hair flying around wildly, I look like a photographer, lol

Thanks, Sam, I will try that technique. Although, with formal clothing I am likely to stick out like a sore thumb!

Yes, Scandinavia is lovely place to holiday in. You are left to your own bearings, yet everyone is very friendly should you choose to make contact. Being able to communicate in English is a very nice advantage. In Linköping, I had a chance contact with an old lady with whom I chatted for a while. A retired language teacher (English and French), she was out walking her Scottish terrier which I was trying to take a pic of. She wanted Obama to win ("Americans should allow people from other countries to choose their President, they do such a bad job in choosing one themselves") and she always dreamt of traveling to India to see the diversity ("I would love to see the riot of colours and taste the variety of flavours for myself").

Should you choose to visit, get a car and drive north of Stockholm as far as the road takes you. You are likely to be the only soul on the road - the natives' idea of socializing is sitting in a bar for hours without uttering a word to the others. Surprisingly, there are quite a number of vegans in the northern regions. An experience I have planned to get in a winter visit is spending a night at the Ice Hotel at Jukkasjärvi, near Kiruna - which is 200Km inside the Arctic Circle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 970124)
It's a sign. This trip I had some colleagues convince me that Scandinavia, especially north of the North Pole is a gorgeous place for a holiday.

One question. How does one go north of the north pole?

I thought the north pole meant northern most point possible?:D